Sauce for the Gander, Part 2 - Cover

Sauce for the Gander, Part 2

Copyright© 2022 by REP

Chapter 10

Sunday, December 9, 2029...

Jason, Gary, and I had gotten Tamerlane, Bart, and Patty to the airport in plenty of time to catch their flight. After dropping us off at the airport’s departure area, Jason took the limousine to the area reserved for over-length vehicles. Gary and I carried Tam’s luggage to the check-in counter. Once Tam and the kids were checked in, Gary and I took them to a kiosk. We got Bart and Patty a cup of milk and something to eat, while we adults had coffee and pastries. We walked over to a seating area and ate our snacks. The pastries seemed a bit dry to me, but I always think pastries are dry. We didn’t get any complaints from Bart and Patty.

We had been watching the length of the line of people waiting to get through the TSA checkpoint. When we finished eating, Tam decided it would be best for her and the kids to get in line to go through the checkpoint. As we approached the checkpoint, I gave Tam a long hug and a very friendly kiss. We paused for a few minutes just holding each other before she took Bart and Patty through the checkpoint while carrying their car seats. Gary and I waved to her and the kids before she headed for her gate.

I had tried to spend as much time with Tam, Bart, and Patty as I could while they were in San Diego. We went to the attractions that the kids wanted to go to, and a number of the attractions I suggested. It seemed to me that Bart and Patty were sad to leave. But, they cheered up some when Tam told them they would be coming back for a longer stay in a month or two. I don’t think she was ready to explain that they would be moving here permanently when they returned.

My relationship with Bart and Patty had improved to the point that they talked to me and were both willing to sit in my lap and listen to me read a story to them. I was happy to do it for it gave me the feeling of actually being their dad. Maybe someday, they will think of me as their dad, not that I was trying to erase their memories of Harold.

The relationship between Tam and me had become very intense on both the physical and emotional levels. She had started coming to my bedroom at night for a cuddle, and stayed to sleep with me. I was tempted to make love with her, but I didn’t get the feeling that it was the right thing to do at the time. While we cuddled, we would caress each other, and when things got too passionate, we would stop and talk.

Last night we mainly talked about where our relationship was going, before we fell asleep in each other’s arms. I had told her that I loved her and wanted to marry her. She said she loved me also, but wanted to think about us getting married with a clear head. Tam believed that being with me so much was affecting her emotions. She didn’t want to make a decision about marriage while in an intense emotional state. She wanted a clear head so she could decide what was best for me, her, Bart, and Patty. I understood her position and said she should take as much time as she needed to make the right decision for her and the kids.

This morning during breakfast, I suggested they we spend the Christmas - New Year holiday together. She agreed that would be nice and invited me to stay at her house. I accepted her offer.

A couple of days after Steve and Karen had hosted Tam’s party, they closed on a house and started packing the last of their belongings to move to their new place. Last Saturday and Sunday, Jason, Gary, Tam and I had helped them. Carla and Tami were there to help so Bart, Patty, Abe, Brandy, and May played together while we worked. Steve told me they planned to have SPI manage the rental of their house once they completed the move to their new place.

When we got back to my home, it seemed empty without Tam and the kids and I felt lonely without them there. Before Tam, Bart, and Patty had arrived, the house never seemed empty and I never felt alone in the house.

They would not be getting to Atlanta until late in the evening. Then they would have to drive home and get ready for bed. I didn’t think it would be a good idea to call Tam tonight. I would have to wait until late tomorrow afternoon to call her at home and talk to her. I wanted to let her know how I felt and find out if she felt the same about not being with me. I couldn’t seem to focus on anything so I just moped around the house aimlessly. I finally ended up in my recliner with a bottle of beer. I emptied it before falling asleep while just sitting in my chair.

Monday, December 10, 2029...

I was no sooner in my office than Vic called from Boston. He and Steve were in Boston for the restraining order hearing. The Eye Witness’s lawyer, Erick Acker, had learned that I was part owner of Steve’s LLC, and he insisted that I had to be there for the hearing.

Vic informed the judge that there was no need for my presence for I was basically just a silent partner who gave general guidance to Steve. He said the only thing I really knew about the day-to-day operation of The Rattler was what Steve told me in status reports. The lawyer insisted that my presence was required, so the judge decided that I needed to be at the hearing. The Eye Witness’s lawyer said he didn’t want to delay the hearing any longer than necessary for The Rattler was publishing articles about his client. He insisted that I be in court tomorrow. So the judge told Vic to have me in court tomorrow morning at ten.

That meant I would have to catch a plane to Boston today. I told Vic that I would get the first flight out that I could arrange for Jason, Gary, and me. I let him know that once the travel arrangements were made I would have Myra call him and give him our flight information. Before I hung up, I asked him to book rooms for Jason, Gary, and me for tonight and tomorrow night at his hotel, if there were no available rooms to make reservations at a nearby hotel.

I stopped at Myra’s desk and explained the situation to her and told her I had to leave now to go home and pack a bag. I asked her to check the airlines for a flight to Boston that would be leaving after twelve noon, and had reservations available for three people. I told her to book three seats and for her to make reservations for a rental car at the airport. If she couldn’t get a flight leaving by three, she should charter a plane to fly us there and back with a one day layover in Boston for the flight crew. While I retrieved my things from my office, I alerted Jason and Gary to let them know we had to fly to Boston this afternoon.

Jason and Gary both lived in the northern part of the San Diego area. When Jason got us to my home, I let Molly know I had to fly to Boston right away and would not be back until sometime Wednesday. I recalled what the weather had been like in Atlanta, so I packed a bag with two days of suitable attire. I changed into comfortable clothes and wore my bomber jacket. I then carried my luggage out to the car, and we left for Gary’s house. Gary had packed his bag and checked his reciprocity matrix to find out if his concealed carry permit would be honored in Massachusetts. It wasn’t, so Gary would lock his Sig Sauer in the trunk’s gun safe when we parked at the airport. We then left to go to Jason’s home so he could pack a bag.

While we on the way to Jason’s house I told Gary I would pay for the time his guards who wouldn’t be working, due to my travel. Gary called his people and let them know they would not be needed for I was going out of town, and they would be paid for their missed shifts. I told Jason to contact his agency and let them know he was leaving with me for Boston and I wanted his time for this trip to be a separate invoice.

While we were waiting, Myra called me. Vic was able to reserve three rooms in his hotel. From what Myra learned, there were no available flights out of San Diego today with seats for anyone. She booked a charter flight on a business jet that could depart as soon as we and the crew arrived at their office. She gave me the name and address of the charter service, which I wrote down. She also gave me directions to get to their office and the details of the car rental in Boston; all of which I wrote down. Jason returned a minute or two after Myra and I finished talking. I told him we had to get a charter and showed him the pad with the name and address of the charter service. He programed the address into our GPS unit, and we left for the airport.

I’m a belt and suspenders type of person. While on the way to the charter service, I called Vic to let him know we had to charter a plane to get to Boston in time to appear in court. I confirmed the he had reserved three rooms for us, and I told him we had reserved a rental car.

Once we finished discussing our travel information, I asked him if he thought the judge would issue a restraining order to prevent us from publishing further articles. He told me that so far the Eye Witness’s lawyer had not gone into detail about why the order was necessary. Vic knew my overall strategy so he asked me if I wanted him to win or lose this case. I told him to do his best to win the case, and to have the court award us costs for having to appear at the hearing.

I told Vic that I would cooperate in court, but I would do my best to make it clear that I had no say in the day-to-day operation of The Rattler other than general guidance. I wanted the judge to believe my travel to answer questions had been a waste of my time and effort. I told Vic that even if we lost and the judge ordered a restraining order, I wanted him to ask for costs for my having to travel here since my trip was a waste of my time and money. I then told Vic that I wouldn’t know the total cost of the charter to get us to Boston in time for me to appear in court until after we returned. However, the charter company estimated the total cost for the charter at between thirty-five and forty-eight thousand dollars. I would then add in the salary costs for the three of us and the cost of our hotel rooms, meals, car, and any additional costs we incurred on this trip.

We made it to the Charter Service’s office before twelve, and in less than thirty minutes we were airborne. We had to stop and refuel, but we made it to our rooms in Boston by ten that night.

I called Tam while we were on the way to the hotel, so we could talk. I told her that I had to fly to Boston today and that I was too exhausted to think clearly, but I wanted to let her know I missed her before it got to be too late to call. She said she missed me also. Before we ended the call, she said she wanted me to call tomorrow night. After I finally make it to my room, Steve called me to let me know that we would meet at seven for breakfast to discuss strategy.

Tuesday, December 11, 2029...

Vic and Steve had developed the strategy Vic felt would meet my need to appear ignorant of what The Rattler was publishing. Vic explained the strategy over breakfast. Vic said the main thing to do was answer the question without providing additional information. When the Eye Witness’s lawyer asked me a question about the business relationship I had with Steve, I was to tell him we were partners with no further explanation. If he asked about my influence on what The Rattler published, I was to tell him I gave Steve overall guidance as to the types of stories I wanted him to publish. For any questions relating to Steve’s activities, I was to tell the lawyer that Steve was in charge of the day-to-day activities of The Rattler and I did not feel knowledgeable enough about the details of Steve’s efforts to answer his question and he should direct the question to Steve.

We made it to court with time to spare. As soon as the hearing resumed, the Eye Witness’s lawyer, Erick Acker, had me take the stand. I provided the responses Vic had specified. After the third time he asked me a question about the details of The Rattler’s operation, I decided I had had enough.

I said, “Mister Acker, I already told you that is Steve’s area of interest. What is this, a fishing expedition so you can find the information you need to get the judge to issue a cease and desist order?” The judge admonished me for my comment. I apologized and explained that I was tired and irritated by having to cancel an important meeting and that it cost me a great deal of time and a large amount of money to be here for no real purpose that I could understand. The judge gave Acker a scowl and he then asked Acker if he had further questions. Acker didn’t so I was excused, and Steve was called to the stand. I stayed in court to hear Steve’s testimony.

Acker’s first question for Steve was how we went about gathering data for our articles. Steve said, “The Rattler uses a proprietary process for gathering information, cross-checking the accuracy of the data, and writing the articles. Answering your question would violate the non-disclosure agreement, I signed regarding our process.”

Vic had all of NWG, The Rattler, and The Scorpion’s personnel, to include Mary, Steve, Karen, and me, sign the agreement so we would not have to go into detail about how our articles were researched and written.

Acker became frustrated and said, “I suspect that is just a way to evade answering my questions. Can you give me just one way The Rattler’s process differs from what other papers do?”

Steve smiled and glanced at Vic, who nodded, and then Steve replied, “Our policy is to never interview the people associated with the media outlet when we are gathering information for an exposé of the outlet. Carl and I feel that interviewing the people associated with the outlet would be inappropriate and might be interpreted as harassment or an invasion of their privacy. Instead, we provide the people with a copy of the article we intend to publish and ask them to inform us of any inaccuracies and to provide an explanation of why the items are not accurate.

“I gave my lawyer certified copies of the letters The Rattler sent to your clients and their employees by certified mail and certified copies of the responses we received.”

Judging by the expression on the lawyer’s face, he knew nothing about the letters. He asked the judge for a thirty-minute recess, so he could contact his clients.

He returned to the courtroom before court reconvened, and he asked Vic if he could see the letters Steve mentioned before we recessed. The only thing he mumbled as he read the owner’s responses was, “Oh! Shit!”

When court resumed, the lawyer said, “Your Honor, I find myself in the position of having to apologize to you and the court. My clients failed to make me aware of the letters Mister Mackey mentioned earlier. Mister Charles allowed me to read the letters during the recess, and at this time, I need a recess so I can consult with my clients.”

Vic stood, and asked, “Your Honor, I have no problem with a recess and would be willing to provide Mister Acker with certified copies of the responses we received. However, Mister Simmons is a very busy man and he needs to return to San Diego. May he be excused?”

Acker said, “I have no problem with Mister Simmons being excused at this time.”

Vic said, “Your Honor, as I explained to the court yesterday, Mr. Simmons provides overall direction and is not involved in the day-to-day activities of The Rattler. His testimony demonstrated that Mister Simmons presence was not necessary in court. He had to make special arrangements in order to be here today that were very expensive, and he would like to be reimbursed for all of the travel expenses he incurred due to the trip. Those expenses also include his time, lodging, and meals. Mister Simmons always has his driver and his bodyguard travel with him, so he also incurred travel costs due to their having to accompany him.”

The judge asked, “Do you have an estimate of the total costs involved?”

Vic nodded to me and sat down, so I stood and said, “Your Honor, my secretary could not locate a commercial flight out of San Diego yesterday that had any available seating. Since Mister Acker wanted me to be in court this morning, I had to charter a plane to get here. The charter service won’t know the total cost of that charter until after I return, but they gave me an estimate of about forty thousand dollars. I will also have to wait for the invoices from my driver and bodyguard’s companies to determine their travel costs, as they will exceed their normal salaries. My contract with my bodyguard’s company includes a clause stating I must provide a forty-eight hour notice of my not requiring any scheduled guard shifts. Failure to provide advance notification will result in me being billed for the cost of those shifts.”

Acker asked, “Couldn’t you have booked a one-way charter to get here?”

I sighed and replied, “I normally schedule my travel in advance so I can use commercial flights. My company has not used charter services, so my people and I are not aware of details related to booking a charter flight. My secretary did not have time to research the local charter services to determine what services were provided by the local charter services and the cost of their service. Since I had to leave immediately in order to meet Mister Acker’s timeline, she booked the first charter service she located that could leave immediately. That charter service’s costs are based on the round-trip cost of the flight plus any layover required by the crew. I decided flying round-trip with the charter service with a one-day layover for the crew would be less expensive than three one-way tickets to San Diego plus the cost of the charter to include any mandatory layover required by the FAA.”

Acker said, “Your Honor, I will explain Mister Simmons explanation of why he feels my clients should pay for his travel costs when I meet with my clients later today. If they wish to rebut his reasoning that will be their decision. However, I will advise them to pay what it cost him to be here.”

I asked, “Your Honor, does that mean I will need to remain here to refute any rebuttal?”

“I don’t think that will be necessary, Mister Simmons. Your lawyer can act for you if Mister Acker’s clients feel that your costs are inappropriate or excessive. If we need any further information, he can contact you. Mister Acker, if your clients wish to rebut payment of Mister Simmons’ travel costs, they are to appear with you when we reconvene at ten tomorrow morning. This hearing is in recess.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.