Climbing the Ladder - The First Rung - Cover

Climbing the Ladder - The First Rung

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 8: The Eyes Have It

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 8: The Eyes Have It - 'Climbing the Ladder' is the story of Jonathan Kane, a young man from rural Ohio, who begins a new life in Chicago in the mailroom of Spurgeon Capital. This is a story in the 'A Well-Lived Life' universe, and provides history and backstory for Spurgeon Capital, the Spurgeon family, the Glass family, the Lundgren family, Anala Subramani, Tom Quinn, and others from the 'A Well-Lived Life' series. The story stands on its own, and does not require reading any other stories in the universe.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Rags To Riches   Workplace  

July 4, 1981, Chicago, Illinois

“Tell me about your family, Jonathan,” Mr. Chaudhary said on Saturday at lunch.

Gudia had warned me that her dad would ask that question, and we’d discussed how I should answer.

“I’m living with my aunt and uncle. He’s a successful real estate investor. My aunt is the blood relative; I’m her sister’s son.”

“And your father?”

“Died in a plane crash before I was born,” I replied.

“I’m sorry to hear that. What did he do?”

“He was a salesman of some sort.”

“Do you know how old he was?”

“In his mid-twenties, I believe.”

“And what does your mom do?”

“She’s done several different jobs since I was little. Now, she works as the receptionist for a company that builds houses. She also works part time as a clerk at United Dairy Farmers.”

“She never re-married?”

“Once my dad died, and she had a falling out with my grandparents, she chose not to marry, or even date.”

“And what jobs have you done?”

“I started out like most kids who don’t live in the city — cutting lawns and shoveling snow. When I turned fifteen, I got a work permit and from then on, I worked at a lumber yard, a feed lot, and for a landscaping company.”

“And now you’re in the mailroom of a financial services firm?”

“Yes. I’m studying the information I need to know to advance, with the goal of eventually being a trader, portfolio manager, or investment advisor.”

“And college?”

“It’s not something I can afford, and it’s not necessary to get an SEC license.”

“And this is a job which could support a family?”

“Not right now, but if I’m promoted, yes.”

“And how long will it be?”

“Years. If everything goes well, I’ll be a supervisor in the mailroom in about a year. It will take a couple of years after that to become a runner, and then a few years to be a trader or money or portfolio manager.”

“And supporting a family?”

“I’ll be able to do that when the time comes. Your daughter and I are nowhere near that point, and she has three years before she completes her undergraduate degree. At that point, we’ll know more about the future. For now, I have a plan, Mr. Chaudhary. I’d ask you to please respect that plan, and not judge based on my current situation.”

Mr. Chaudhary smiled, “I’m not objecting to you and my daughter seeing each other, but a future together requires you to be able to support a family.”

“I agree,” I replied.

“Good.”

We finished our lunch, and after Gudia and her sister, Amara, helped clean up, Gudia and I went for a walk.

“You managed to get through the entire conversation without saying you were conceived out of wedlock!”

“I know,” I replied. “But what happens when he finds out? It WILL happen, one way or the other.”

“You didn’t lie! Everything you said was true.”

“Yes, it was. But I did mislead him.”

Gudia nodded, “I know, and I think in this case that was the only way forward. Let him get to know you, to like you, and to see you be successful. Then it won’t matter so much.”

“Part of me is also concerned that it would make a difference. It’s not like I chose how it happened.”

“Nobody ever said anything about it to you?”

“Not to me. I mean, I know how my grandparents reacted from what my mom and my aunt told me.”

“Which I think is the same reaction my dad would have,” Gudia said. “It’s old-fashioned, but I think your grandparents and my parents are both more conservative than we are. Would your grandparents be OK with you and me fooling around?”

I shook my head, “No way. Their church is fanatical about it, according to my mom.”

“Did your mom know you and Bev were fooling around?”

I laughed, “Not officially, but I’m sure she knew. We were so close that I can’t imagine she didn’t.”

“And she was OK with it?”

“What was she going to say given how I came into the world? And sex isn’t really something a guy talks about with his mom! Or, in your case, a girl with her dad!”

“No way! You see why I think you needed to avoid mentioning they weren’t married?”

“The ends justify the means?”

“Do you want to keep seeing me?”

“Yes.”

“Then I think it was important. He doesn’t need to know that any more than he needs to know what happened in my bed two weeks ago!”

“And when he does find out? About my mom, I mean.”

“If it gets to the point where he has to meet your mom, he’ll know you for who you are. Let me ask you another question — did Bev’s dad know you two were fooling around?”

“No way!” I laughed. “I didn’t have a death wish!”

“Exactly.”

We finished our walk, then returned to her house. After a relaxing afternoon listening to a mix of American pop music and traditional Indian music, we had dinner, and then filled a small cooler with cans of Coke and ice, and headed to a nearby park where, sitting on a small hill, Gudia said we’d be able to see both the Naperville and the Aurora fireworks.

We spread out a blanket, lay down close together, and held hands. We had a couple of hours before it would be dark enough for the shows to begin, and we mostly lay quietly, occasionally talking. It reminded me of spending time with Bev in a hayloft back home, before we started fooling around. We’d just lie next to each other in the hay and enjoy the quiet. It wasn’t quite as quiet in the park, as others began arriving to stake out their spots, but it also wasn’t super distracting.

The fireworks displays were pretty good, and Gudia had been right — we had a perfect view of the closer Naperville show and the more distant Aurora show. We could also see others in the distance, which Gudia said were likely in Oswego, a town much further out into farm country. When the last skyrocket had flown, we gathered our things and walked back to Gudia’s house so she could drive me back to the city.

July 10, 1981, Chicago, Illinois

The week at work had followed the usual pattern, and Charlotte had lightened up a bit, occasionally speaking to me, but also needling me about my reaction to her kissing me. I protested that I was seeing Gudia regularly, and that was the main reason I didn’t want to hang out with her. She didn’t believe me, but I really didn’t care. In the end, the choice between Charlotte and Gudia was simple.

At the end of the day, I hung up my jacket, rode the elevator down to the lobby, then went out the front doors of the building to meet Gudia, who was waiting for me.

“Dinner and a movie as planned?” she asked.

“Absolutely! And Stripes is OK with you?”

“Yes, because in two weeks we’ll see Endless Love! I figure a guy movie and a love story balance each other!”

“Just remember I have to watch how often I go to the movies. It’s not so bad right now because I’m not paying rent to my uncle, but that changes at the end of the month.”

“I know. Once school starts, IIT has monthly movie nights and they only charge a buck to get in. The movies are usually at least a couple of years old, but the first one in September is going to be The Blues Brothers. Have you seen it?”

“No. Have you?”

“I have, but I want to see it again. Are you still going to Great America tomorrow?”

“Yes. I talked to Stuart today. He’s bringing along a couple of friends. One of them is planning to be a fireman. The other guy is a photographer. What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Going out with my friend Anna. I haven’t seen her much because I’ve been with you. She’s been complaining.”

“Sorry,” I replied.

“It’s not your fault! But I think we both need to see our friends. I have a few at school, too, that I’ll want to do things with. But I want to be with you, too.”

“We’ll work it out. I’m not possessive. Are you?”

Gudia laughed, “Only where my sister is concerned. She has a crush on you!”

“Good for her,” I chuckled. “First of all, you and I are dating. Second, she’s way too young. I couldn’t imagine dating anyone younger than seventeen now that I’m out of High School.”

“So you’re still looking?” Gudia asked with an arched eyebrow.

“That is NOT what I said!” I grinned. “I was giving you a reason I wouldn’t be interested in Amara. I was surprised, by the way, that she’s basically the same height as you, despite being four years younger.”

“I stopped growing at sixteen. My mom said it was the same for her, so I suspect Amara is about as tall as she’s going to get.”

“Interesting. I’m still getting taller. I grew about an inch in the last year.”

“You’re already almost a foot taller than I am! Don’t grow TOO much!”

“I don’t think I can control that!” I chuckled.

“Let’s go, then!” she said, taking my hand.

We went to a diner where we’d eaten before, and this time I ordered a crispy chicken sandwich, having decided to avoid beef as much as possible when I was with Gudia. I knew it didn’t bother her, but it was something that would help me remember if we went out to dinner with her parents, which I expected would be likely, given things she’d said.

We finished our meal then headed to the theater at Water Tower Place for the movie, which we both enjoyed. When it finished, I walked Gudia back to the parking garage where she’d parked her car. We stood by the driver’s door and I took her in my arms.

“I wish we could be alone together,” she said, resting her head on my chest. “I want to be with you!”

“Me, too,” I said, stroking her hair. “I’m just not sure how my aunt and uncle would react.”

“I have enough money for a hotel, but I couldn’t stay the night, which is what I really want.”

“August 1st,” I replied.

“I know,” she sighed.

We exchanged a soft kiss, then got into the car. She dropped me at home, and after she drove off, I went inside and went to bed.

July 11, 1981, Great America, Gurnee, Illinois

“Jonathan, meet Tom Quinn and Dustin Brady. Tom, Dustin, meet Jonathan Kane.”

We all shook hands, paid our admission, and walked into the amusement park.

“New roller coaster?” Tom suggested.

We all agreed and started walking that direction.

“What do you do, Jonathan?” Dustin asked.

“I work in the mailroom at Spurgeon Capital,” I replied. “I hear you’re a photographer and work for yourself.”

“I’m trying. I have a small studio down in Hyde Park.”

“What do you photograph?”

“Anything they pay me for!” he laughed. “I do weddings, model portfolios, family portraits, magazine layouts, whatever.”

“Models, huh?” I asked with a grin.

“Yeah, but quite a few of them are jailbait!” Stuart laughed.

Dustin nodded in agreement with Stuart, “Girls whose parents think they can make it as models or work in advertising. Most of them go nowhere. I do far more weddings than anything. And Stuart knows those girls’ parents are ALWAYS there when I shoot. I’m not a complete idiot!”

“I’ve never even used a camera,” I said.

“It’s easy enough to learn. It’s setting the scene and framing the shot that makes the photo. Basically, anyone can take a picture, but taking an appealing photo is like creating a work of art.”

“Cool. Tom, what do you do?”

“I work in the kitchen for Connie’s Pizza. Did Stuart tell you I’m taking the fireman’s exam with him?”

“Yes. He said you want to be a paramedic?”

“I can’t think of a better way to meet cute nurses!” he laughed. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

“There’s a girl I’ve started seeing, but I’ve only been in Chicago about six weeks.”

“Listen to him,” Stuart laughed. “‘Only’ six weeks and he’s seeing a girl! I’ve been trying to find a new girlfriend for a year!”

“Well, if you quit trying to bang their friends, you might keep a girlfriend!” Dustin laughed.

“What do you mean ‘trying’?” Tom laughed. “If you look up ‘dog’ in the dictionary, there’s a picture of Stuart! He was like that in High School! I think he banged half the cheerleading squad!”

“Only half?” Dustin laughed.

“He got the entire volleyball team AND all the starters on the softball team! He didn’t have time for the cheerleaders!”

“Are you guys serious?” I asked.

“Stuart is a legend,” Tom laughed. “Let’s just say if he and a horse get together, the horse cries in despair!”

“He’ll be able to put out fires just by taking a leak,” Dustin laughed. “Stuart, what happened to that redhead you had hanging on your arm a couple of weeks ago?”

“She probably fled in terror!” Tom laughed. “She was like five-foot-nothing! He’s been entertaining that girl from High School off and on, so he’s not suffering TOO badly!”

“Do you have a girlfriend, Tom?” I asked.

“Yes. Her name is Maria. We grew up next to each other, hated each other, and then we graduated High School and one of our fights led to trying to fuck each other to death!”

I laughed, “That kind of sounds like Bev back home, though it was teasing not arguing.”

“I didn’t say arguing, I said fighting! She goes to the same gym I do and she was harassing me when I was boxing. I challenged her to a match and after we beat each other senseless in the ring, she snuck into the men’s showers!”

“Nice! What about you, Dustin?” I asked.

Tom and Stuart both laughed.

“Dustin prefers the company of men,” Stuart said with a smirk.

“Huh?” I asked.

“I’m gay,” he replied. “Though these two idiots can’t understand that I like to keep that private.”

I shrugged, “It doesn’t matter to me.”

“If he’s going to be part of the gang, he needs to know,” Stuart said. “Now you don’t have to worry about it.”

“True, but it should have been my decision,” Dustin protested. “Jonathan, please don’t say anything to anyone.”

“I won’t,” then hoping to change the subject, I asked, “How’d you get started in photography?”

“Taking Polaroids. I got pretty good at it, even with a simple camera, so my dad bought me a good SLR, that’s a single-lens-reflex camera. It’s an expensive hobby, in case you’re wondering. Between camera bodies, lenses, film, developing chemicals, photographic paper, and building a darkroom, my dad spent a small fortune. But it worked out and I make a living doing something I love. What’s your long-term goal?”

“To become a money manager, portfolio manager, trader, or broker,” I replied.

“You don’t need a degree for those jobs?”

“No. You have to memorize a lot of stuff, and learn all the regulations, but you can get a license without a degree.”

“Remember us all when you make your pile!” Stuart laughed.

“That’s YEARS down the road!” I laughed.

We had moved through the line fairly quickly and got into cars, Tom and I next to each other, and Stuart and Dustin in the seats behind us. Riding the coaster meant we really couldn’t talk, and I enjoyed the climbs, drops, turns, and speed. When we got off, we agreed to get right back in line for a second ride before the lines became too long.

“How long have you three known each other?” I asked.

“We met when we were Freshmen at Lane Tech,” Tom answered. “We’re the poster boys for NOT going to college when we graduated. Our parents all managed to get us into an elite college prep school and by the time we were done, none of us wanted to go to college.”

“Jonathan, where’d you go to school?” Dustin asked.

“Goshen High School, Goshen, Ohio. It’s about thirty miles east of Cincinnati.”

“Did you play any sports?”

“No. I worked too much to have time for that.”

“You look like you’re in pretty good shape.”

“I worked mostly manual labor,” I replied. “A feed lot, a lumber yard, and landscaping. I lift weights now to keep in shape.”

And that reminded me — I needed to add those to the list of things I would need to buy. I probably couldn’t get a complete set or a bench to start with, but a few free weights and riding my bike would keep me from getting out of shape.

“Ever thought of being a fireman?” Stuart asked.

“No.”

“You’re in good shape, you seem smart, and I’d guess you’re fairly strong. You should take the exam.”

I shook my head, “Thanks, but no. The military recruiters tried to snare me back in High School, but I told them ‘no’ as well. The Marines REALLY wanted me, but like I told the Gunnery Sergeant who came to the school, I could shoot a rabbit or a deer, but never a person. I mean, I suppose if someone was trying to kill me, but why put myself in that situation?”

“Stock broker seems a LOT safer to me than fireman or Marine!” Dustin laughed. “I’m with you on that one, Jonathan! Do you have any brothers or sisters?”

“No. Just me. How about you guys?”

“I have a half-sister,” Dustin said. “Tom has a younger sister, and Stuart an older one.”

“Maybe you should introduce Jonathan to Laurie,” Stuart grinned. “She’d love him!”

“And if he touched my little sister’s genitals, I’d have to kill him,” Tom declared.

Stuart laughed, “She’s seventeen, for Pete’s sake!”

“And she’s still my sister!”

“I thought his cousin was cute,” I said. “But her dad is a cop!”

Stuart laughed, “Joe? He’s a pussy cat. He let you drink, right?”

“Sure.”

“Don’t listen to Tom. His uncle isn’t quite as protective as he was when Cathy was a teenager.”

“Tell that to Freddie!” Tom laughed. “I wonder if he’s come out of hiding yet!”

“Getting caught with your pants down in the living room of a cop with his sixteen-year-old daughter in the same state is dangerous to your health!” Stuart laughed.

“I think I’ll stick to the girl I’m seeing who goes to IIT,” I replied.

“A girl at IIT? Those are as rare as a virgin in West Virginia! The ratio is like ten to one! What does she look like?”

“About five-two, long black hair, brown eyes, some curves, but not too big, if you know what I mean.”

“You a ‘breast man’?” he asked.

I nodded, “Yep.”

“Me, too! Tom, on the other hand, likes the small cute ones.”

“Personally,” I replied with a grin, “I’m not going to complain about ANY girl who is willing to go out with me! And that goes double for any girl who might be willing to let me touch them!”

“The sign of a wise man!” Tom laughed.

We rode the ‘American Eagle’ a second time, then began working our way around the park, riding as many rides as we could, having lunch and dinner, and finally leaving after the nightly fireworks show. Tom dropped me at home just before midnight, and we agreed to get together for a beer on Thursday night after work.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.