Climbing the Ladder - The First Rung - Cover

Climbing the Ladder - The First Rung

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 11: A Place I Could Call My Own

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 11: A Place I Could Call My Own - 'Climbing the Ladder' is the story of Jonathan Kane, a young man from rural Ohio, who begins a new life in Chicago in the mailroom of Spurgeon Capital. This is a story in the 'A Well-Lived Life' universe, and provides history and backstory for Spurgeon Capital, the Spurgeon family, the Glass family, the Lundgren family, Anala Subramani, Tom Quinn, and others from the 'A Well-Lived Life' series. The story stands on its own, and does not require reading any other stories in the universe.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Rags To Riches   Workplace  

July 26, 1981, Chicago, Illinois

I had no clue how to respond to Teresa’s revelation, so I simply kissed her deeply, which with one thing leading to another, ended in another energetic fuck, after which she snuggled close and put her head on my chest.

“Why me?” I asked.

“I’ve come close a bunch of times,” she said. “And obviously I’ve given blowjobs before. It just seemed like the right time, the right place, and the right guy. And I was right.”

“And your sister told you not to?”

“She just told me to be careful and not do anything foolish.”

“And she would consider this foolish?”

“I guess it depends on which perspective you take.”

“And which perspective are you taking?”

“It was going to be somebody eventually! Honestly, I was very close with a couple of different guys, but it just didn’t feel right, I guess. But today, when you kissed me, it made me so hot I wanted to jump you right there on the beach! I really like you, you’re in good shape and have nice muscle tone, and Tom and Stuart seem to think you’re a good guy. So does Maria, obviously. After all, she invited me to meet you today.”

“I suppose that makes sense, because I wanted you as soon as I felt you against me when we kissed!”

“So, from that perspective, two horny eighteen-year-olds did what horny eighteen-year-olds do!” she said. “And THIS horny eighteen-year-old wants to do it AGAIN before she has to go home!”

“And this horny eighteen-year-old is happy to oblige!” I replied.

We had another very enjoyable fuck, then after checking that the coast was still clear, scooted across the hall to the bathroom to take a fun, slippery shower together. When we finished, we dried off, dressed, and then I changed the sheets on my bed. I took the soiled ones, along with the damp towels to the washing machine, then found some air freshener to spray in my room. The clean-up tasks completed, I walked Teresa to the L.

“I invited Tom, Stuart, Lucy, and Maria over to my new place next Sunday. Will you come along?”

“Sure! And maybe I’ll stay a bit after the others leave!”

We exchanged a sexy kiss, she went up onto the L platform, and I turned and headed back to the house. When I arrived, I double checked to make sure there was nothing amiss, then settled down with the Chicago Tribune. When I heard the washing machine finish, I moved everything to the dryer, then finished reading the newspaper.

Just before 6:00pm, Lisa, Jeri, and her other friend, whose name I heard later was Natalie, arrived home. Lisa was her usual rude self, but Jeri surreptitiously waved to me as they went by. About thirty minutes later, Uncle Alec and Aunt Wendy arrived home, bringing with them Chinese food for all of us.

During dinner, Lisa was her usual bitchy self, Jeri was very quiet, but Natalie, who I guessed to be about fifteen, was very talkative. She was the typical bubbly blonde I’d encountered in High School, and she flirted just enough for me to think that some lucky High School kid was going to experience what I’d had that afternoon. I didn’t take the flirting seriously because she was way too young for me, but it was enjoyable because it annoyed the crap out of Lisa.

Later that evening, after Alec had taken her friends home, with Lisa riding along as she usually did, she came to the door of my room.

“Touch ANY of my friends and you’re dead meat!” she spat.

“Natalie is really cute, and SHE was flirting with me,” I replied calmly, knowing that would set Lisa off even more.

“I saw you looking at her! Cut it out!”

“She was talking to me. It would be rude to not look at her when she was doing that. And she’s around fifteen, not twelve!”

“Asshole!” she spat. “Just cut it out!”

I shrugged, “I can’t help it if she knows a good thing when she sees one.”

Lisa turned on her heel and stalked away. I looked at the clock and made a bet with myself, which I won when Aunt Wendy came to my door less than ten minutes later.

“Hi,” she said with a knowing smile.

“Hi.”

“Other than what happened at dinner, did you even talk to Natalie or Jeri?”

“No,” I grinned. “Though the last time Jeri was here she apologized for Lisa being a bitch, which I told you about. Other than that, not a word.”

“That’s what I thought. I’m sorry about Lisa; she’s resented you moving in since we told her you were going to be here back in March when Alec arranged everything.”

“It’s OK. I’ll be in my own place on Saturday, which was always the plan, and to be honest, I’m not very concerned with the opinions of twelve-year-old girls, even if they are my cousin.”

Wendy laughed, “NOBODY should be concerned with the opinions of twelve-year-old girls! I’m just hoping Jeri rubs off a bit on Lisa. Jeri is very polite and very sweet. I had hoped Lisa would look up to her because she’s fifteen, or to Natalie, who despite acting like an airhead, is a very smart, sweet girl who just turned fifteen. I think fifteen-year-olds lose their minds around older guys. I know I did!”

“I think the guys are just as bad,” I chuckled. “In fact, they might be worse around teenage girls! Natalie and Jeri are both cute, but they’re too young for me.”

“True, though three years isn’t nearly so big a deal when you’re both in your twenties.”

“I still have a ways to go for that,” I replied.

“True. Ignore Lisa, please. I think she’ll chill out when you move into your place. And we’ll still expect you for dinner on Sundays after this weekend. OK?”

“OK.”

She smiled and left, and I went back to studying.

July 29, 1981, Chicago, Illinois

“More new people?” I asked Mr. Nelson. “Doesn’t that fill up the offices on 35?”

“It does. And there are only two free on 34. Something has to give, and it has to give soon. Fortunately, the other recent hires have their offices at the exchanges. The Big Boss will decide this week if we’re moving or not.”

“What’s your take?”

“The software company has a long-term, sweetheart lease because the founder is from UofC and is buddies with the head of the management company. I don’t think there’s a number that would get them to budge that the Big Boss is willing to pay, so we’re moving. He’s had your uncle scouting for places, and right now, three floors in the Hancock Center seem to be the leading candidate.”

“When?”

“If he pulls the trigger this week? It’ll really depend on what it will take to remodel those floors and wire them up the way we need them. But money can make that happen pretty fast. I wouldn’t make plans for Columbus Day weekend, if I were you. We need three days when the markets are closed. Labor Day MIGHT happen, but five weeks would be a hell of a rush, unless they already have plans drawn up and contractors ready to go. That’s possible, but I haven’t heard anything.”

“I’ll mark my calendar. Anything special about these two new people starting next Monday?”

“Suits are Suits,” he laughed. “The main differences are the phone setups and the quotation machines, and those are done by an outside company. Just the usual stuff for you. The furniture will be in today, so you can get everything ready on Friday, just like last week.”

“You can count on me, Boss!”

“I know it!”

You can count on me to kiss your ass, Boss,” Charlotte whispered derisively when he left.

“There’s a reason he trusts me to do stuff and doesn’t trust you.”

“Yeah, and you get all the extra work and no extra pay!”

I shook my head, “That attitude is going to cost you in life. Hard work and determination are the basic ingredients for success. You need a bit of luck, too, and it helps to have the right friends. That’s how my uncle turned $5000 into a net worth of a couple of million in real estate holdings.”

“And you still have to work that hard?”

“It’s HIS money, Charlotte, not mine. I don’t want HIS money. I want to make it on my own.”

“Jesus! Don’t let pride make you stupid! Get your uncle to stake you in starting a business or whatever!”

I shook my head, “No. That’s not my way. I have to do it myself. Yes, I got some help in that he got me this job and let me live with him for a few months, and I’m grateful for that. Now it’s all on me. Maybe he’ll introduce me to people, maybe he won’t. If he doesn’t, I’ll meet the people I need myself. After all, I already got a leg up because I had the balls to ask for something and the wherewithal to follow through.”

“All I know is if MY uncle had millions, I sure as hell wouldn’t be working in the mailroom!”

“First of all, his money is tied up in real estate, not liquid. He makes a decent income, but he has to work hard for it. As for you, you could have tripled your salary a few weeks ago. All you had to do was spread your legs.”

“Fuck you!” she spat.

“Which is EXACTLY how I feel when you suggest I take advantage of my uncle or mooch from him. We each have our standards. Mine simply involve working hard and keeping my nose clean. The rewards will come in time. And THAT is why I treat Mr. Nelson the way I do. He’s the boss, for Pete’s sake. That means, as he put it, we do what he says, when he says, and how he says. That IS what they pay us for.”

“Not enough!”

“Did someone hold a gun to your head and MAKE you take this job?” I asked.

“No.”

“Then you accepted the job at the salary they offered, just as I did. You’re unhappy; I’m happy. And the difference is, I accept I have to start at the bottom, and I accept that Mr. Spurgeon decides how much to pay me. I COULD go elsewhere if I wanted. I don’t want to. Heck, I could have stayed back in Ohio and eventually become a supervisor in the lumber yard or feed store and made a reasonable living. But that wasn’t enough for me. I’ll make a hundred times as much here when I achieve my goals.”

“And if you don’t?”

“Then I’ll know I tried my best, did everything I could, and wasn’t successful. I’ll find something ELSE to do at that point, and keep trying until I get there. That’s how America works! Does it ALWAYS work for everyone? No. But everyone has a chance, if they’re willing to take it, work hard, and make something of themselves. It’s not easy, but it’s not supposed to be easy!”

“They’ll never, ever let you into their little club! You’re just a hick from Hicksville, Ohio!”

“Goshen. And you obviously don’t know the secret.”

“What secret?”

“To get into the club, you just need to earn the admission price. My uncle started with nothing, and he’s in the club. One of the hotshot traders grew up in an orphanage and had absolutely nothing when he started here — in the mailroom. And given you already think I’m a brown-nosing asshole, I’ll tell you that YOU have a way to buy into the club that I don’t.”

“Eat shit!”

I shrugged, “I didn’t say I liked it, or that I think you should, I’m only saying that if you REALLY wanted in, you could get in without working hard at all. Triple your salary to start, bonuses, gifts, and other benefits. I think it’s shitty, but all the hard work would be on your back!”

“Fuck off! Forget I said anything.”

“Want my advice? Work as hard as you possibly can, do everything you’re asked, and go above and beyond; or don’t. It’s your call.”

Charlotte glared at me and turned back to her workstation. I honestly didn’t understand her. I’d already received a special raise, had been told I was going to get another raise when my probationary period was finished at the end of August, and I was first in line for Nick’s job when he finished law school and left to join a law firm. I didn’t get why she didn’t see that and want to work hard to get the same thing. I did, though, fully understand why she turned down the secretary’s job. As I’d told her, I didn’t like it, but I wasn’t in a position to change it; not yet, at least.

At lunch, I joined Rachel in the plaza as had become our norm.

“Do you believe that working hard will get you ahead?” I asked.

“Daddy does, and he taught us all that nobody owed us anything and that if we wanted things we’d have to earn them ourselves by working hard or marrying someone who worked very hard who we’d support in his efforts and care for the house and kids.”

“Do you think a woman’s place is really in the home?”

“No. Daddy doesn’t, either. But he thinks family is important, and he worked overtime so Mom could stay home with us until Sarah was in kindergarten. That’s when Mom started working on her degree in early education. She was licensed just over a year ago. I honestly think that’s the best approach, because I’d hate for my kids to be in daycare or have nobody home when they came home from school. I guess that happened a lot with you.”

“When I was little, I stayed with a friend of my mom’s when she worked. Once I got to second grade, I was by myself while she worked, so mostly I hung out with my next-door neighbor Bev and we did our homework and stuff. I’d mow lawns and shovel snow, and then when I turned fifteen, I got my first job.”

“You said that last Thursday. Daddy was impressed at your hard work. He said you were, and I’m quoting, ‘a determined young man I should think seriously about’.”

“‘Think seriously about’?”

“Daddy’s way of saying you were very welcome at the house and he had no objections to us dating. It’s his highest praise. Well, short of telling me marry you, but that took TWO dinners with Rebecca and Luke!”

I chuckled, “So my next dinner at your house is July of 1985?”

“Don’t be a brat!” she said with a soft laugh, swatting my arm. “I know you aren’t ready for that. As you’ve pointed out, you’re only getting your first place on Saturday.”

“Would it violate any rules to ask you for dinner a week from Friday? I should be able to manage something simple, if you let me cook for you.”

“It would be OK,” Rachel said with a smile. “We could also cook together if you wanted. I’m a pretty good cook. Mom insisted we all learn to cook.”

“I can handle very basic things, but Mom did all the cooking at home. It was really important for her to cook dinner and for us to eat together.”

“We have a rule at our house that you don’t miss a meal without permission, though Rebecca gets a bit of slack on that because of her nursing training.”

“Your parents seem very strict,” I observed.

“They are, but they are also very willing to discuss things. I’m sure you noticed we’re very conservative Catholics, but Daddy wasn’t upset that you aren’t a church-goer.”

“Why?”

“He figures a good man is a good man, and so long as you didn’t object to me going to church or taking the kids to church, he wouldn’t have a problem.”

“Would you expect me to keep my mouth shut about God? You know, not tell our kids I didn’t believe?”

“Our kids?” she giggled. “So you’ve agreed!”

“Hypothetically speaking!” I protested with a smile.

“I guess it’s something we’d have to work out. I’ve never met anyone before you who flat out didn’t believe. Well, I’m sure I’ve met some without knowing, but you know what I mean.”

I shrugged, “I’ve never had need for any gods in my life and the only ones who were really interesting were the Greek, German, and Norse gods we learned about in history class. THEY sound like a barrel of laughs and a lot of fun. From what I’ve heard about Jesus, well, not so much. And from what I hear about Paul, he sounds like a party-pooper if there ever was one.”

Rachel laughed, “I suppose that’s ONE way to look at it. May I ask how you determine right and wrong?”

“I try to be nice to everyone, respect my elders, not hurt anyone, and not take things which aren’t mine. That seems to work pretty well.”

“The Golden Rule — ‘do unto others as you would have them do unto you’.”

“I take it that’s from the Bible.”

“Yes. You’ve never read it?”

“I never had one and never had a reason to. Mom did read me some Bible stories growing up, but they never really resonated. The Bible is just another old book with stories no different from the ones about the other gods I mentioned, and as I said, they’re WAY more fun to read about from what I hear about the people in the Bible.”

“Did you have a favorite?”

“Prometheus, because he championed mankind over the gods.”

“That makes sense.”

“He was also very crafty and outsmarted Zeus.”

“I think I can see why you like him.”

“There’s a Norse god who is similarly crafty, named Loki, but I don’t know much about him.”

“And you believe those gods existed?”

“No, of course not! But the stories are hilarious and very entertaining. Does it bother you I treat your religion basically the same way?”

“You aren’t rude about it, but it’s probably something we need to discuss before we get too serious.”

“To be honest, I’m not likely to believe in any gods. If you can deal with that, then I can deal with you going to church and taking our hypothetical kids to church if you think it’s the right thing to do.”

“Are we going out on Friday?”

“If you want,” I replied.

“I do.”

July 31, 1981, Chicago, Illinois

On Friday I was extremely busy ensuring two offices were properly set up, plus my usual duties, PLUS an emergency courier to Hart-Lincoln which I hand-carried myself. That meant I couldn’t meet Rachel for lunch, but I managed to let her know when I’d picked up the envelope from Murray Matheson’s secretary.

Given everything that had been said over the previous two weeks, I wasn’t surprised when Charlotte was called into Mr. Nelson’s office towards the end of the day. Nick came over and said she was being given a warning that she wasn’t going to make it past her probationary period if she didn’t get it in gear, ‘right the fuck now’, as I knew Mr. Nelson would put it. She came back with a scowl on her face and a dirty look for me. I simply ignored her and when 5:00pm rolled around, I stayed just long enough for her to get into an elevator and be gone before I got to the lobby to meet Rachel.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.