Widowed Waif Wages - Cover

Widowed Waif Wages

Copyright© 2021 by Yob

Chapter 3: The Switch

“What Joey called, win-win, I call tit for tat. We’re both teaching and learning from each other. We’re a good team and good for each other. Isn’t that a nice feeling?”

“Thanks for drown-proofing me. I don’t feel so timid about entering the water now. I can relax and enjoy it. Maybe we should call this, Joey’s beach. He suggested Dos Bocas, but it doesn’t fit well.”

“Don’t give it a sad name. Joey won’t feel honored or disappointed by giving places his name. This is your beach, Cindy. We should name it Waif’s Beach.”

“How about Widow’s Beach? Or Maze Beach?”

“I can see a problem, with there only being just two of us. We need a third partner as a tie-breaker.”

“I don’t want anyone else to know about the labyrinth and the beach. I chose to tell you, only because I trust you.”

“There is someone else you should trust. I do. Gail.”

“I don’t know Gail very well. She keeps to herself.”

“Exactly why you should make an overture. I know enough of her, though not as well as I myself would like, Gail’s qualities impress me as someone worth knowing. Expend the effort to know her and learn to trust her. An investment you’ll never regret! Someday you’ll thank me for suggesting you two become friends.”

“I admire her strength, she is at least as strong as you Lilli. Her muscles would be an asset to our team.”

“Oh, I see now. You invited me only because of my strong back!”

“No, don’t think that Lilli, I invited you because you’re my best friend, or near best friend, nearest I have. You’re my only friend I have left, with Joey gone. I don’t make many friends. None easily. Gladys is another friend or close acquaintance. We were neighbors.”

“Then we should invite Gail and Gladys to join us. A dozen tykes might be beyond even the control of four alert caregivers.”

“Watching over the kids on the beach is more than I could handle alone. Hadn’t crossed my mind until you mentioned it, but I will need help. More than just us two. Will four of us be enough, you think?”

“I could suggest someone capable of handling twice a dozen kiddies, alone by herself, and without apparent strain.”

“Ha, you’re about to suggest Sister Agnes? I agree. She’d manage them alone alright. The thought I might displease her terrifies me!”

“We’re agreed then, on which troops to recruit?”

“The Dirty Dozen rug rats are the troop. We need the officers.”

“Well, ladies? You’ll better appreciate those lounge frames you backpacked all this way, once you set them down, place cushions on them, sit, and rest yourselves. Thank you for your help. There it is, as promised. Is the arch view of the beach-scape worth the effort?”

“It’s perfectly lovely. Can I suggest a problem with the plans and a possible solution?”

“Please, Sister Agnes, do. Any suggestions from anyone are welcome.”

“The children are only three and four years old. If we force march all this way, they’ll be soon worn out. Fussy long before they ever get here, and early on demanding to be carried. If each of us carries two apiece, we don’t have enough arms to tote all dozen kids at once.”

“You’re right! Of course, Sister Agnes. Whom else shall we recruit?”

“No one else need be recruited. Our group is ideal as is, in individual personalities and numbers. Two-wheeled carts, similar to Cindy’s, could be equipped for hauling kids. The children should be strapped in, an advantage we’ll appreciate. Three carts, four kids in each, five of us to take turns in rotation pushing them. That is my proposal.”

“Great idea. Any objections? All agreed? Adopted unanimously!”

“I’m going for a swim. Anyone wants to join me, come on.”

“I’ll swim with you, Gail.”

“You’re welcome, Lilli. Cindy? You aren’t pregnant. Coming?”

“Lilli’s pregnant, but that isn’t slowing her any. Oh, I’m sorry Lili, I completely forgot that information was shared in confidence. Please forgive my indiscretion. Please don’t let my stupid mouth affect our friendship? I’m so sorry I violated your trust. I hate myself for it!”

“Congratulations, Lilli.”

Congratulations to everyone. Then began the litany of months passed. Gladys recently completed four months pregnant. Sister Agnes is halfway through gestation at four and a half months. Lilli is nearing three months pregnant. Everyone pregnant lovingly caresses their tummies. Lilli and Gail go for their swim. Gladys and Sister Agnes continue enthusing over the joys of pending motherhood. Cindy decides it’s a good time as any to check on the prisoner and bring back a cartload of cased water bottles.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.