Brokering Trust - Hetero Edition - Cover

Brokering Trust - Hetero Edition

Copyright© 2023 by Snekguy

Chapter 20: Harmony

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 20: Harmony - A scientist is granted a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel to the Trappist system, home of the Brokers, where no human has set foot before. A seemingly simple expedition grows more complicated as he is forced to balance the interests of his government and those of the enigmatic aliens who have requested his help.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction   Workplace   Science Fiction   Aliens   Space   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Petting   Size   Geeks   Politics   Slow   Violence  

“The Administrator is very pleased with our progress,” Selkie said as they made their way to the shuttle. “Of course, he is mainly focused on continuing to develop the drone software, but Weaver has enough processing power that it could read the collective works of both our species while simultaneously performing sims to perfect drone guidance algorithms. There is no reason that the work need be interrupted. He is taking our recommendation to the Board, and with any luck, they will agree with our glowing assessment.”

“That’s good,” David replied. “Did he say when they intended to restore Weaver’s network access?”

“It will remain isolated in the containment chamber until the signing of the social contract,” she replied as they exited into the bay between the towering Krell guards. “It could be some Mountains yet. The Administrator seems to be taking your quarantine seriously now that Weaver’s true nature has sunk in. That, or the Board has forced his hand. It is hard to say.”

“Better safe than sorry,” David muttered.

“You seem unhappy, David,” Selkie said as she paused by the craft’s open door. “Is this not all that we have worked for – to see Weaver recognized as a person?”

“That hasn’t happened yet,” he chided.

“If you are worried about us, I made sure to impress upon the Administrator how important your continued participation will be,” she added as she slithered into the shuttle. Out of view of the Krell now, she beckoned to him, retreating deeper into the cabin.

He felt his misgivings melt away as he followed her inside, almost as though he was leaving them behind in the facility. As Selkie had said, it was out of their hands now. All they could do was wait for the decision to come down from on high, so why not make the most of that time?

Selkie’s coloration only grew brighter as the shuttle pulled out of the bay, the craft turning in a different direction than usual, no doubt heading for the beachfront property that she had rented.

“So, what can you tell me about this place we’re going?” he asked, making casual conversation to mask his growing nerves. He wasn’t sure if he was excited, nervous, or a combination of both. There was little ambiguity now – no question about where the night would take them. This was something that Selkie had decided to do.

“It is similar to the structures you saw during your first journey to the city,” she replied. “Wealthier Brokers have property in the reefs, and there are hotels and private residences that are sometimes rented out for leisure purposes.”

“I hope I’m not costing you too much money,” he added sheepishly.

“I see it as an investment,” she said with a smile.

The shuttle soon took them into shallower water, colorful corals starting to dominate the environment as shafts of light poured in from above, shoals of fish darting out of the craft’s path. They docked in another of the small hangars, then proceeded on foot – if swimming could be described in such a way.

David bounded between the boulders where the corals and sponges made their homes, spotting another shreep that was grazing in the sea grass along the way, the creature followed by an army of smaller crabs that were sifting through the disturbed silt in its wake.

It wasn’t long before they began to see buildings, the concrete-like material blending with the reef, the domes and towers rising up towards the surface. The water was only maybe ten meters deep here, and some of the taller towers breached it, forming observation decks above the surf reminiscent of miniature versions of the restaurant they had visited.

Selkie led him away from the cluster of buildings, heading for a residence that was conspicuously apart from the rest. It was made up of a small cluster of dome-shaped structures and one cylindrical tower. Large windows peeked out from inside the furry covering of sea life, the boulders that surrounded it forming a kind of privacy screen that shielded it from view. It was a very Broker method of landscaping.

They approached the door of the nearest igloo-like building, and Selkie scanned her hand across a panel mounted beside it. No keys were necessary – it seemed that it was all handled through the chip embedded in her tentacle. The door slid open, and David noted that there were no airlocks or force fields. The pressure was neutral, and the temperature was balmy at these depths, so the water was allowed to circulate freely.

As they stepped inside, David was treated to another spectacle. It looked like an upscale condo in the Broker style that he had come to expect, but the round floor beneath his feet was made of varnished wood. Selkie noticed that his eyes were on the ground, chiming in with an explanation.

“It is sealed inside a hydrophobic varnish,” she explained as her tentacles slithered across its lacquered surface. “As you can probably imagine, wood does not fare well underwater, and preparing it in such a way is a considerable expense.”

“I guess it’s kind of like how rich people show off with mahogany on Earth,” he said, feeling the slick material beneath his boots. It was as slippery as ice, but Brokers didn’t need to worry about traction when they could glue their suckers to the floor.

As he lifted his gaze, he saw that much of the furniture was made from the same material, the frames that supported the net chairs and the low tables carved from dark wood. It gave the place a rustic, aged appearance that the sterile décor of the Brokers usually lacked. The curving walls that culminated in the dome above his head were the expected white, with large windows that followed the contours of the building, the view outside reminding him of the aquariums that were so prevalent in deeper waters. This must be what they were attempting to replicate.

“So, this is how the other half lives?” David said as he completed a circuit of the room. He stopped to peer out of one of the windows, watching a shoal of tropical fish dart past beyond the glass.

“It is a little above my pay grade,” Selkie chuckled. “But for a single sleep cycle, it is more affordable. Come – I will give you a tour of the premises.”

There were four such domes spaced out around the base of the tower, each one just as lavishly furnished as the last. Beyond the lounge area was a kitchen building staffed by a drone, a relaxation room that was somewhere between the artificial caves in the research facility and a bedroom, and an entertainment center with one of the holographic projectors he had seen in Selkie’s apartment.

The tower at their center was an open shaft that led up above the surface, David following Selkie to the observation deck. Much like the mountainside restaurant, it was a saucer-shaped structure that overhung the tower below, the walls ringed with a seamless window that circled all the way around. The floor was lined with more decorative wood, and several netting couches had been arranged looking out over the ocean. It was only a meter or two above the waves, making David feel like he was on a yacht, the surf lapping at the building below. On the left side was a view of the open ocean – a few more observation decks jutting from the water, but none were close enough that their interiors were visible. To his right, maybe a hundred meters away, was the beach. The white sand led up to the jungle, the misty mountains rising beyond the trees.

“What do you think?” Selkie asked, watching him expectantly.

“It’s quite the view!” he declared, turning on the spot as he took it all in.

“Is it not? To think that some Brokers live in places like this.”

“I guess this is a mansion by Broker standards,” David said, walking over to get a closer look out of the nearest window. The ocean extended far into the distance, the way that the rolling mist obscured it making it look like it merged with the sky on the horizon. “It’s still underwater, though?”

“Oh, allow me,” Selkie said as she scuttled over to a console on the central pillar that ran from the floor to the ceiling. She manipulated the controls, then the water began to drain away, slowly receding from the ceiling.

David watched as it descended, passing his visor, then his chest. When it was past his knees, sections of the window that spanned the room began to flip open, letting the ocean breeze sweep through the newly-emptied lounge. He unfastened his helmet and slung it under his arm, taking in a breath of fresh, salty air as the wind ruffled his hair. He could hear the gentle sound of the ocean, as well as Selkie’s suckers as they popped off the polished floor, her voice coming from the translator on her collar rather than his radio now.

“This section of the building can be drained – usually for dry meals or just so that guests can better appreciate the view. I can set the water level to whatever I please. You understand now why I found it so suitable for our needs.”

“Of course,” he replied, water still dripping from his suit. “It’s like the restaurant, but there won’t be any drones or holograms around to interrupt us.”

“What do you wish to do first?” Selkie asked, the wet splat of her tentacles on the floor announcing her as she moved over to join him. Her coloration was as bright as her eyes, those horizontal pupils sparkling as she waited for his reply.

“Want to get something to eat?” he asked. “If you’re hungry enough, that is.”

“Indeed. I have not eaten this phase,” she replied with a cheerful click of her beak. “There is no chef on the premises, so our food will be prepared by the kitchen drone, but it should be delicious nonetheless. Eating two dry meals in so few phases,” she tittered, lifting a hand to cover her mouth demurely. “It is downright decadent.”

“You deserve it,” David added. “You’ve worked so hard on the Weaver project, and you finally got the result you wanted. That’s worthy of celebrating.”

“Agreed,” she chirped.

She led him over to a table beside one of the open sections of window, the pair sitting down on a horseshoe-shaped couch made of netting strung from a wooden frame that faced out over the ocean. David turned his face into the balmy breeze, the hot, humid air quickly filling the room. It was like being in a tropical resort at sunset, Trappist-1 bathing the world in its warm glow.

Just like in the restaurant, the table had a holographic interface that projected above its wood surface, allowing the diners to give commands to the robotic kitchen staff. As much as David had enjoyed the food the evening prior, he opted for something a little different this time, wanting to sample more Broker dishes.

The robots worked with an efficiency worthy of their namesake, and it wasn’t long before a drone rose up through the central shaft of the lounge, water dripping from its molded hull as it carried a sealed tray in its mechanical claws. It set its cargo down on the table, then hovered away again, only a gentle hum emanating from the strange device.

David lifted the cloche, releasing a plume of fragrant steam that was quickly whisked away by the gentle wind. Beneath it were several plates loaded with food. His eye was immediately drawn to the centerpiece – a fish as long as his forearm that had been stripped of its scales and cooked whole, the grill marks seared into its tender flesh. He could still see the fringe-like fin that ran along the length of its body, as well as the beak-like mouth parts and one glassy eye. It was resting on a bed of vegetables and sea fruits, and it had been dusted with herbs and spices. There was a fat glob of kelp butter nestled beside it, the sight making David’s mouth water.

They had ordered a whole feast, with side dishes of roasted root vegetables, more of the turkey-like bird meat for Selkie, and a whole host of appetizers in the form of sushi and crustacean meat that had been specially formulated for dry dining. Curious, he reached over and popped a piece of the sashimi into his mouth, noting that it had a completely different flavor profile from what he had been eating in the city below. There must be seasonings or food preparation techniques that were only used in this method of cooking.

They shared out the plates, but it was more of a buffet, the two sampling from whichever dishes they pleased. Selkie was not usually a big eater, but she seemed to enjoy the variety, letting her tentacles wander from plate to plate. David’s mammalian metabolism had him devouring most of the grilled fish, the meat reminding him of trout, the sea fruits giving it a citrus bite.

They chatted as they ate, the immovable sun making it difficult to tell how much time was passing, everything blending together in a way that he found pleasantly disorienting. Unless he checked his watch obsessively, it was almost possible to pretend that they were in a little time bubble, disconnected from all the problems and demands of reality outside the observation lounge.

“We also have aquariums!” David insisted, using the strange fork with the corkscrew handle to spear a piece of grilled fish. “Earth’s surface area is over seventy-percent ocean, you know. We have a whole host of sea life.”

“I should like to see such a thing,” she chuckled, popping a piece of sushi wrapped in crunchy kelp into her beaked mouth.

“There are parts of coastal cities in some countries that ended up below sea level due to climate change, and they were converted into underwater museums. I visited one in New York where they’d built a whole covered walkway through the old streets – it was really something to see. It’s a lot like your transport tubes, actually, but filled with air instead of water.”

“A Broker could explore such a place freely,” she added, reaching for one of the roasted vegetables. It was shaped like a carrot or a parsnip, and she held it in her face tentacles, slowly feeding it into her mouth like a giant French fry. “As much as I would love to see the homeworld of the humans, I do not think that I could tolerate the crowds. Perhaps someone will create a virtual tour someday.”

“Maybe you’d fare better in one of your suits?”

“They do make one feel rather secure,” she replied.

“Man, that was great,” David sighed as he leaned back into the stretchy netting. Even though it wasn’t designed for his anatomy, it wasn’t half bad out of the water if he was reclining to compensate for the low backrest. “Let me tell you – I’m going to miss Broker food when I have to go back to UN space. You should have seen what they were feeding us on the journey over here. I’m not looking forward to another few weeks of MREs.”

“A shame that we have no ingredients suitable to replicate human dishes,” Selkie added. “I should like to try some. If our food is enjoyable to you, then the same is likely true if the situation is reversed.”

“Man, I know this amazing seafood place that I’d love to take you,” he continued as he gazed out of the window. “Strange to think that I’m forty light-years from home, but in my head, I feel like I could be stepping out of my apartment tomorrow. The human brain wasn’t designed to account for the distances and situations that we subject it to these days.”

“I have never left my homeworld,” Selkie said, following his gaze as she admired the sunset. “I have never felt any particular need, and I do not think that many Brokers do. If we wish to experience something, we can usually do it through simulation. I do not have to travel to Harvest to walk along its beaches.”

“I take it that most Broker travel is motivated by profit, not wanderlust, then?”

“Prospectors and explorers are certainly interested more in staking their claim than satisfying their wanderlust, but I do not think such sentiments are absent in my people,” she replied. “Still, traversing the Galaxy in rickety ships that scarcely function only to found colonies on barely habitable planets is not in our nature.”

“Oh, our ships are rickety now?” David asked, feigning outrage.

“They leave something to be desired,” she added with a smirk.

“Yeah, I couldn’t even feel the engine or any turbulence during reentry in that silver cigar you guys had me flying in. It was a smooth ride, to say the least. Coming down in a human shuttle makes you feel like your teeth are going to get shaken out of your head.”

“I have great respect for the few who venture out into the Galaxy with only their exosuits to protect them,” she said with an amused snap.

“It’s kind of sad, though,” David continued as he plucked another piece of sushi from the dwindling spread.

“How so?” Selkie asked, cocking her head.

“The idea that you can substitute real experiences for fake ones, I mean. Sure, you might be able to simulate rain and temperature changes with that fancy hologram system of yours – even tactile sensation – but you’re missing so many nuances from the real thing. For example,” he said, leaning forward in his seat as he made his point. “Let’s say that at the end of this meal, our surroundings faded away, and you found yourself back in your apartment. Could you have experienced all of the same sensations? The flavors of the food, the feeling of the breeze on your skin, and the netting beneath your tentacles – all of the little nuances that remind you that you’re alive.”

“I suppose not,” she conceded. “You must understand, however, that it is often the next best thing to reality. Not everyone can afford to take time away from their responsibilities and expend the necessary resources to travel for leisure. I cannot travel to Harvest for the simple enjoyment of it, but I can gain a good understanding of what the experience would be like from simulations.”

“What about romance?” David asked, remembering the relationship simulators that he had come across. “Surely you can’t simulate that?”

“You might be surprised,” she said with a nervous chatter of her beak, her coloration starting to mottle as she broached what must be an embarrassing subject.

“Do Brokers simulate those things?” he asked, knowing the answer but wanting to learn more.

“Gods, what an embarrassing question!” she mumbled as she hid her face behind her hands. “You now know how difficult reproduction can be for my kind. One is rarely in close proximity to another person without special arrangement, and with contraception being so difficult and unreliable, it is always a ... dangerous prospect.”

“Hell, humans have a dozen safe and reliable contraceptive methods, but accidents still happen.”

“And we have far fewer,” she continued. “Without a marriage contract, if you ... are close with someone, and a brooding results, you may be left with nobody to support you.”

“That would cost you two years of your life, along with whatever jobs or businesses you happened to be involved in at the time,” he said with a nod. “I can see why you consider it so risky.”

“Indeed,” she said with a flutter of dark coloration. “As a result, many relationships that develop remotely tend to remain that way.”

“Remotely?” David asked. “Like, long-distance relationships?”

“People who meet and interact through virtual means,” she explained. “You have experienced the holographic cavitation projectors for yourself. The visual and audio elements, the tactile quality – they can be ... convincing. It is somewhat of an open secret in Broker society that many people turn to virtual simulations and scenarios to satisfy their needs in a safe and controlled way.”

“Even Jeff?” David joked.

“Goodness, perhaps!” Selkie said as she giggled behind her hand. A little levity seemed to put her more at ease, like turning a valve to let out all of the building steam.

“How close to reality are we talking?” David pressed.

“Well, I-I would have no way of knowing,” she stammered as pale bands of color swept up her mantle. “By that, I mean that I have no basis for comparison. What about you?” she added, turning the question around on him. “Is this something that humans do?”

“Our methods aren’t quite as sophisticated, but it’s been happening pretty much since the invention of the telephone,” he chuckled. “Same for, uh, simulations. There are a lot of reasons that people get lonely but might lack the ability to satisfy their needs.”

“Even with such an easy reproductive cycle?” Selkie asked. “One would expect them to be doing it all the time...”

“It’s not quite that simple,” he replied.

“What about you?” she asked, peering back at him with her expressive eyes. Her coloration was dark, as though the coming question was weighing on her. “If you can do it all the time...”

“Me? Nah,” he replied with a dismissive wave of his hand. “I missed out on a lot of that stuff. I was always a lot younger than my peers, so they saw me as just a kid, really. By the time I had caught up, well, everyone else had moved on. Besides, you know how charming I can be.”

“Then ... you have never...”

“Once, a long time ago,” he replied. “So long ago that I hardly even remember it. Honestly, the time I’ve spent here with you is probably the most I’ve been away from work since I graduated college. I suppose I never gave myself time to be lonely.”

That seemed to alleviate her concern, her coloration brightening again.

“Though we might be outwardly very different, and we come from very different societies, it never ceases to surprise me how similar many of our experiences have been.”

Selkie shuffled around the couch to get a little closer to him, and David responded in kind, meeting her near the middle of the horseshoe. Her tentacles were already starting to coil around his nearest leg, as though their movements were a subconscious manifestation of her desires, the slimy appendages weaving between the netting.

She drew closer, the sunset reflecting off her shining skin to make her glisten, her soft lips parting in anticipation. As David leaned in, she hesitated, seeming almost afraid to proceed.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Forgive me,” Selkie stammered. “Everything was so spontaneous before – in the cave and in the restaurant. If we had never been interrupted in that booth, it would have been so perfect. Now, you must feel as though I have planned it all out, like my affection is nothing more than moves on a sea spire board. Does it still feel ... romantic?”

“Don’t worry – I like this,” David replied as he placed a reassuring hand on her cheek. “It means that you’ve thought about it, and you’ve decided that this is what you really want. Do you have any idea how romantic renting out a seaside condo for the night would be to a human?”

“I suppose not,” she replied, her complexion regaining its gentle pastels. “Now that we are on the precipice, I cannot help but feel ... a little nervous. Is that normal? What if I do something wrong?” she added, her skin becoming more saturated again.

“Nothing about this is normal, and we can’t get it wrong,” David said with a smile. “We’re the first people to ever attempt this. If there are going to be any rules, we’re the ones who get to make them.”

“I ... may have done a little research in preparation,” she admitted, embarrassment making her skin patchy as she averted her eyes. “Just anatomical information, and only enough that I could be certain that we were ... Gods, how do I put this?”

“Compatible?” David suggested, her chromatophores pulsing with pale bands as though to mirror the quickening beat of his heart.

This time, she lifted her face towards his without reservation, pushing through her prior hesitation. Her pillow-soft lips joined with his, her radula probing his mouth as her pace became more heated. She had accrued some experience over the last few phases, and she was becoming more adept with each session that she managed to snatch. Gentle moans emanated from her as David responded in kind, feeling the cool, damp lining of her mouth against his tongue. As always, she was careful to keep her sharp beak clear, leaving only cushiony flesh almost too soft and delicate to be believed. It was so yielding – almost gelatinous – but that quality belied the iron strength that he knew her muscles to be capable of.

He cradled her cheeks in his hands as they embraced, feeling her face-tentacles entwine with his fingers and coil down his forearms affectionately, smearing her seafruit-scented mucus on his skin. They slid beneath the sleeves of his suit again, mapping him – tasting him.

A sudden urgency overcame him that he hadn’t felt before, and he drew back, hearing a lurid pop as her pouty lips broke away. She remained there for a moment as though dazed, her sparkling eyes half-lidded, her shining lips subtly parted. He struggled to shift his weight in the unstable, stretchy netting, reaching for the zipper on the collar of his suit. One of Selkie’s arm-tentacles coiled around his wrist, becoming as strong as iron as she dragged his hand away, replacing it with one of her own.

“L-let me,” she stammered, bands of white lighting up her skin like a rave. She fumbled with it for a moment, then extended one of her wicked talons, using it to hook the zipper. Her shining skin alight with excitement, she slowly dragged it down, employing more of her seemingly endless repertoire of tentacles to spread it open. His heaving chest exposed, she began to slide the slimy appendages beneath the black garment, David resisting the urge to squirm at the tickling sensation. Like cool, wet tongues, they licked across his skin, painting him with that slick mucus as they went. He could feel her suckers probing him, sticking to him, leaving pink marks in their wake.

She began to slide into his lap now, pulling herself from her sitting position on the couch beside him, a dozen slithering tentacles wrapping around his limbs and creeping beneath his clothing. She was like an octopus clinging to its handler in a bid to escape its tank, David able to do nothing to ward her off with his paltry two arms. Her limbs wound through the holes in the netting, gluing both of them to the seat. Just like last time, it felt as though she was trying to share his suit – attempting to climb inside it along with him.

“Hang on, hang on,” he gasped as he felt a probing appendage start to paw at the elastic waistband of his briefs. “Lemme get out of this suit while I still can.”

“Apologies,” she stammered, starting to withdraw like a sea anemone pulling in its tendrils. “Am I proceeding too quickly?”

“No, I just feel like we’re going to be too tangled up for me to get out of this thing in a couple of minutes,” he replied as he rose to his feet. Selkie settled into the netting, her tentacles splayed out haphazardly, watching intently as he began to shed the garment. He shrugged off the top half, sliding his arms out of the sleeves, then placed a hand on the table to steady himself as he stepped out of the legs. He hastily folded the suit and set it on the table, then turned to face Selkie, finding her already leaning towards him.

Flowing almost like a liquid, her tentacles poured off the edge of the netting and onto the still-damp floor, snaking their way over to his legs. Like vines growing up the trunk of a tree, they began to climb, matting his leg hair with slime as they crept higher. Her eyes fixed on the conspicuous bulge that was tenting the fabric of his shorts, the questing tips of some of her limbs sliding beneath the hem, mapping out his inner thighs.

With an expression like she was unwrapping some new treasure for her collection, she hooked two or three of the tentacles around his waistband and tugged it down, her lips parting in surprise as his shaft bounced free. He felt a little self-conscious just standing there with her examining his pulsing member, but as his brain caught up, he saw that her skin was a patchwork of flustered mottling and pale bands of excitement.

“Like in the files...” she mumbled, dragging herself a little closer to the edge of the couch. After what felt like a good thirty seconds, her eyes finally wandered up to meet his own, the sight of her peering up at him like that making his breath catch in his throat. “Can I ... touch it?”

“You don’t have to keep asking,” he replied breathlessly, his nerves lighting up like a switchboard as several of her limbs began to creep towards his groin. They wormed their way up his thighs, one of them curling around his balls, the sensation of her damp flesh gliding against his sensitive sack almost enough to make his legs give out. Two more began to wrap around his base, matting his sparse hair, spiraling around one another as they started to investigate his shaft. It felt like a pair of impossibly long tongues were sliding up his length, gliding on a layer of bubbling slime that was thicker and more slippery than saliva, tracing veins and sampling his skin with little kisses from their suckers. He was almost completely encompassed now, seeing only her glistening, pink skin when he looked down.

“So much ... hot blood,” Selkie murmured, more white bands giving him some inkling as to what might be going through her mind. “I feel as though I am holding your beating heart in my hands...”

Surmising that she intended the visual to have a more romantic than grisly implication, David watched as the wriggling tips of her tentacles found his glans, a sharp gasp escaping him when they began to slide beneath his foreskin. With the lubricating slime, they moved with unexpected ease, teasing the most sensitive part of his anatomy.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.