Non Zero Sum Game - Cover

Non Zero Sum Game

Copyright© 2021 by Yob

Chapter 38: Future Plans

Dare I hope for a reopening of the case and investigation into the massacre of my family? I would love to testify in court what my ten year old eyes witnessed at close hand. Better yet, I would enjoy being asked to and accusingly pointing my finger at the murderers at the defense table. There’s no prohibition against my being a witness for the prosecution in that non-disclosure agreement I was coerced into signing.

“Sophia? It’s so good to hear your voice again after all these years! Is everything okay with you and your family? You must believe I would have stayed in touch if it had been safe for you. Only a few days ago, did I receive credible assurances we won’t be molested any further in the future. Their own ambitions and plans inhibit them from murdering us. It’s really great you called me. I tried to call you but didn’t know how to contact you. My information regarding where you are, is where you formerly lived and is obsolete. You moved. Thank you for your congratulations and best wishes. You’re an aunt again. When do you suppose we might get together again?”

“Don’t come here, Joey. Never! It’s not safe, regardless of what you believe you were assured of. Especially after provocative announcements in the papers claim our family is rising again from the ashes. Our, more specifically, your and your son’s enemies consider the news you have three sons, as a renewed feud challenge! They vow not to leave any males alive this time. None to return and haunt them in the future! It really would have been smarter to stay silent and keep your head down, little brother. I worry most for the safety of your infant sons. You can fight or finesse your way out of a lot of situations. What can defenseless babies do? Die.”

“Their mom’s and I are their frontline defense force. And all our friends are backup and reserves. Don’t worry for us and the babies. How about you? Have there been any threats to your family, or Maria’s?”

“Maria long ago went over to the enemy. After your uncle was killed, a detail of mob soldiers was assigned to watch for your return. Maria was struggling to put food on the table then. One of the soldiers took pity on her, began helping her, bringing her groceries. Eventually, they married, and now he’s a made man, an important capo. Maria is in no danger. As a potential sister-in-law, I also received his consideration. The luster I fear, has tarnished on their marriage. I’m unsure if protection extends as far as in-laws now.”

“Can you come here, Sophia? Bring your family here where I can protect all of you.”

“I don’t have money for the fares and I don’t want to leave everything behind and run. Besides, I think they’re watching the airports, train and bus stations, for you, but would notice any attempt we make to leave.”

“Do you have a car?”

“No, but my oldest boy, Tony Jr, just completed truck driving school and has all his CDL and DOT certificates for his trucker’s licenses. He could drive a car with those I guess, if we had one, but we don’t. There’s six of us and our belongings. There are a few things it would break my heart to walk away from and abandon. How could we possibly all fit in a car? We’d need a moving van!”

“Is Tony there? Can I talk to him?”

“Hi, Uncle Joey. Congratulations on becoming a dad.”

“Thanks, Tony. Can you legally drive a class A or B motor home with your CDL?”

“Maybe? I’m not sure, but I can find out. At most, it might need taking a short course to qualify for a bus endorsement. However, I’m restricted to driving trucks inside the state. Interstate commerce regulations requires I be at least twenty one. Why?”

“Can any others in your family drive?”

“Teresa has a learners permit, had it for a while. She’ll be sixteen end of next month and can get her full valid license then.”

“Can she handle a car, if she had one and could legally drive it?”

“I suppose so. She completed all the necessary training courses. I’ve never ridden with her. I’m only eighteen and she can only drive with another driver at least twenty five years old in the car with her.

“Can you convince your mom to get a license?”

“Very doubtful. The idea of driving at highway speeds terrifies her, and maneuvering in city traffic terrifies her even more. That’s why she never learned how.”

“Please find out if you could drive a class A motor home you personally owned, across state lines, on interstate highways and if you’re permitted to cross the US to Florida, on your limited CDL.”

“Where would I get any kind of motor home. Uncle Joey, steal one?”

“Could you?”

“I wouldn’t, even if I thought I could. It’s not worth the risk and too big to hide!”

“If your mom’s life depended upon it, would you?”

“Are you serious, Uncle Joey? I’d do anything in the world for mom, but do you think I’ll need to?”

“Just a hypothetical test of character question, so forget it. I’m considering buying for you an old used motor home, to move your family and prized possessions to Florida where you’ll all be safer.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.