Non Zero Sum Game - Cover

Non Zero Sum Game

Copyright© 2021 by Yob

Chapter 13: Stock Pot

How can you get cattle out of impassable thickets? A couple three ways. You can wear chaps to protect your legs while you go riding into and chasing cattle out of the thickets on horseback, but there is places you and your horse simply can’t go. or can’t see how the cow got in there.

You could lure them out with tempting treats. We went dumpster diving for every vegetable and fruit we could find, no matter how spoiled ... In addition, we went to a farmer’s market and and raided the rubbish heaps there for root tops...

It’s known where the cows are, because we can hear their cow bells. A path is created beginning at the thickets, strewn with tempting carrot tops, cabbage leaves, turnip and potato slices, other similar things cows really like, and including shelled corn and leads into an electrified temporary corral. We hid some distance away and watched. When some of the cattle were corralled, and apparently no more coming, one of us rode up and closed the gate. When the bull arrived, he balked at entering the corral so was lassoed, a lead rope clipped to his nose ring and he was staked out. He bellowed and bellowed and several of his remaining cows came to see what the fuss was about. Was it just from curiosity, or perhaps a perverse desire to see the mighty bull humbled, in a humiliating predicament?

Using these techniques, we rounded up a little less than half the cattle, but the remainder isn’t cooperating with our tricks. We had to resort to a third and easier way. Time to bring in an expert on board.

I was already in contact with Sam, because I’d sought him out for help with a different problem. I am seeking a herd dog for the sheep flock I don’t yet own. Sam introduced us, brought the expert we needed to the ranch. Her name is Sunny, a half black and half white curly haired beautiful bitch.

Sam sent Sunny into the solid appearing wall of brush. She melted into it without a sound. After awhile, we heard something crashing through the brush heading our direction. Sam moved to the corral and opened the gate, then put a small silver Y shaped thin whistle on his tongue. He blew some shrill chirps on the whistle and the cattle suddenly burst from the brush and calmly walked to and entered the corral, not terrified, no eye rolling in fear. Sunny walked behind them, weaving back and forth, frequently stopping to stare. Not nipping at their heels and not barking. All the cows are accounted for. Sam closed the gate. He praised Sunny for a good job.

“That is one incredible dog, Sam. She didn’t chase the cattle, just moseyed them along. Quiet, too. No barking. Amazing. Are you planning on breeding her soon? I’d love to have one of her pups.”

“She is a member of a strong eyed breed. Border Collies intimidate with their stare. Kelpie are the only other breed that herds this way, but have less stamina. Sorry. Nope! You can’t have one of her pups.”

“Oh, I didn’t mean give me one. I wouldn’t expect a free puppy, I’ll pay you for it. How much do they cost?”

“You wouldn’t be happy together so I refuse to sell you a puppy. When I sell pups from Sunny’s litters, I usually get five grand each.”

I’m a sensitive guy and this sounds distinctly like an insult. Not fit to have a puppy? I need a genius dog like Sunny, who can herd stock, even in heavy brush. Obviously, since I can’t have Sunny, one of her pups would be the next best thing. I want Sam to teach me how to train the pup to do what Sunny does. Sam denies me a puppy to buy. Five thousand dollars for a puppy? I was thinking fifty bucks.

“A puppy would be wasted on you, Joey. The blind leading the blind., both of you ignorant of what to do. You need a mature dog, one already trained, who might train you, if you can be trained.”

“Sunny?” My heart leaps at the prospect.

“Absolutely not. Even if I were willing to sell her, and I’m not, you couldn’t afford her. I’d ask quarter of a million for her.”

“Are Kelpies cheaper?”

“You can get a Border Collie pup from a different breeder for between five and six hundred dollars, but I don’t advise it.”

“I want one.”

“You need to be trained how to work with a dog and that requires a dog already trained and patient with you while you learn by doing.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.