Brethren of the Coast - Cover

Brethren of the Coast

Copyright© 2021 by Yob

Prelude

Freedom.

If you ask a thousand people what freedom means to them, you’ll likely hear a thousand versions. To me, freedom means simply, leave me alone to go to hell in my own way.

Governments are not in the business of leaving people alone. They are in business to control people. All governments insist upon conformity, except for those in power. That is the true essence of power. Where in the world can you escape government? Nowhere. No place exists where some government doesn’t arrogantly claim jurisdiction. What’s worse is governments have banded together, forming a pirates association, similar to the BRETHREN OF THE COAST of the 17th century pirates. I am their worst nightmare.

Some areas in the world are so thinly peopled, the governments devote few resources towards controlling them. Doesn’t pay to, because they really don’t count much, literally. With my yacht even distant remote choices and options are reachable, available for me to select from. Today, all anyone can do to avoid government is hide. Where can I best hide? How then choose where to go? What criteria?

Somewhere geographically historically interesting because the nightlife won’t be. The entertainment industry won’t invest, is dismissive of tiny groups even more than governments. History and geography are my lure, not pleasure. Refuge is my agenda. Where?

Maps and charts need looking at. And coast pilots. A coast pilot is book containing in depth description of a coastline in every detail the navigator needs, from channel depths, obvious landmarks, to harbor regulations, communications, port facilities, and heights of bridges.

Piri Reis, a sixteenth century Turkish admiral wrote a famous book called Kitabi Bahriye, a meticulous coast pilot of the ancient coastlines, harbors, currents, shoals, reefs, rivers and islands of the Mediterranean and Aegean.

Did you ever wonder why Columbus, a Portuguese, would seek Spain’s aid and backing rather than his own country, ask Portugal to finance a voyage of exploration?

Piri Reis is more famous for his 1513 map showing all of South America very accurately only twenty one years after Columbus discovered it in 1492? More surprising, it also accurately shows North America, Greenland, and Antarctica,

not discovered until 1820. Piri Reis kept meticulous note as well, and indicated he had based his map on earlier maps, including one gotten from one of Columbus’ pilots. Speculation was, the map was a secret one stolen from Portugal. Necessitating Columbus seek backing for his voyage, from someone ignorant of what lies to the west, and not looking to hang him for espionage.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.