Spider Queen Book 8 - Cover

Spider Queen Book 8

Copyright© 2020 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 18

Pirates

Jason, Zafa, Valsam, Andrea and Linda accompanied Yoyo onto his Flagship followed by the empresses and Jason’s groups.

“I will brief you when we reach the conference room near the bridge,” said Yoyo. “We have discovered far more than we expected about the so-called pirates,” said Yoyo shaking his head.

They stepped out of the portal into a passageway and he led them and several assistants into a beautifully appointed conference room. The walls looked like floor to roof windows overlooking the assembling fleet. Jason walked closer to the wall and looked out. The ships would not normally be seen in the blackness of space.

“Yoyo, you are ready for anything, that is a lot of big ships!” Jason remarked.

“I believe it is better to be over-prepared. Now that I am adjusting to the size of the battles it is a lot of ships. We have reserve fleets to back us up if this is a Destroyer trap or if they have reserves. We sent out many scouts and probes to scour the area and we placed sensors to provide early warning of an attack. This is a dangerous trip,” Yoyo replied.

Jason could see Trackrof wait until he looked at her, she grinned and turned her palms outward and raised her eyebrows. “Jason with you along I expected a swim in the pool and a leisurely picnic on this resort ship, Yoyo who would have expected trouble?” Trackrof asked innocently. “We are well aware of the nature of the black hole Jason is for trouble, was he like that in the past?”

“Was he ever! He was also a super-magnet for women and businesses. If he hadn’t come along, I could have done without the reserves.” Yoyo winked at Trackrof, who blushed bright red.

“This is what we face;” - he switched on the hologram and pointed - “two large asteroids almost moon sized close to each other. They are both partly hollowed out. The insides have docks and living spaces bored into the rock. Come with me we will join my teams in the control center.” Yoyo said. “Grab yourselves a drink and some snacks from the table and bring it through with you.”

They entered a large room with hundreds of holograms on tables in front of immaculately dressed and groomed officers and AIs. They all sat at a large table in the front of the room. Yoyo indicated to the students to join them then he called over an officer to join them at the table.

“May I present Col. Newmas Basraba from the Zaos who has organized the infiltration of the pirate groups and the pirate holdings over the last few months,” said Yoyo.

She was short and petite with a coloring similar to Lisirra. She wore a tidy but dusty uniform.

“Emperor, illustrious admirals and generals: thank you for the opportunity to brief you on the intelligence our team has gathered from the asteroids and the planet. I will show you on the hologram as we talk.

“These asteroids are almost moon sized and have been structured as pirate bases and to act as a forward bases for the Destroyers,” she started speaking.

Several of those at the table looked startled.

“They have steadily hollowed them out over a long time and built bases able to house armies of billions. They run a War College with half a million students and provide education for rotating groups of Destroyer students. On the inside they have repair docks and construction docks.

“They have ten bases including this one in this Universe. We located them all. The Destroyers have been planning to take over the Uzliumbax Empire for a long time. They have been using the resources of the Uzliumbax to fight the Uzliumbax,” she said.

“Ten bases!” said Jason incredulously. “How well developed are these bases?”

“Emperor, the ones here are the most recent ones. The others are all based in a single asteroid, and are similar designs to each other and the asteroids here. The first asteroid was depleted of useful mining material but they are mining a second asteroid nearby,” she replied.

“Jason the asteroids are all part of your holdings,” said Yoyo grinning. “When we conquer them, you need to ensure they pay you back the full cost of all they stole from you.”

“I will get back to the latest asteroids and the planet,” said Basraba. “The hostages are held on the planet. The singular non-gaseous planet of this particular solar system is a hot desert planet where they have primitive desert homes constructed from roughly hewn stone on the surface. The homes are small and square with flat roofs. The largest town has a large rectangular rock that stands at an oblique angle pointing to lofty mountains nearby. There is dust everywhere. The population look like typical desert people. They look disheveled and dirty and wear light robes and a bizarre spiral headdress to protect them from the sun. At first glance there is nothing there of value. Fauna and flora are sparse on the surface of the planet.

“The day before the attack on Ethora the pirates moved the hostages to the town from the asteroid. We saw the desert people sporting Destroyer assault weapons and we observed the ground open to reveal an underground complex. We knew of this complex from our previous sensor surveys but had not seen the access point.

“We then explored the bleak planet. Every house has a hidden door that can access the deeper levels. The work on the planet is much more recent than the work on the asteroids. They have built a city below the villages on the surface. They are working hard to extend this city. We have a team of geologists who surveyed the planet. The planet and asteroids are rich in nearly all the precious metals essential for electronic components and in the manufacture of exotic alloys,” the colonel continued.

“How sure are you that all the hostages are on the planet?” Jason asked.

“We intercepted the communications planning the move, we monitored the move, we observed the move and we counted them and confirmed their location and have pictures of them in their cells on the planet. We will know if they move them,” Basraba replied smiling tiredly. She slapped her leg. A cloud of dust surrounded her leg and slowly fell to the ground. “Damn insect from the planet bit me. It is a filthy miserable place.”

“How well defended is the planet?” Linda asked.

“The planet relies on the asteroids for its defense. They can be moved closer to the planet to help defend it. The planet has several missile and cannon positions in place and has three hidden battle-satellites above the planet. The infrastructure to protect the planet is under construction but incomplete. They are concentrating most of the effort on mining the planet and the asteroids,” replied Col Basraba.

“Jason, your grandfather discovered these planets and asteroids and kept them in reserve for your Association. It was stolen from you by Osman. Philippa got them back for you. All the other asteroids are part of a quadrant of space owned by your Association. You have several active mines in the next solar system,” said Yoyo.

“That is interesting,” said Jason, “how well defended are the asteroids colonel?”

“Each asteroid has enough missiles to take out this fleet ten times. The asteroids are designed to be mobile and are being built as mobile weapons platforms and repair facilities. They are slowly putting in more and more engines. The engines are too big to ship in completed form and they need to be assembled in situ. Each piece is massive. In operation they use power sources that can run a city. The asteroids sport cannon bigger than any I have ever seen. There are missile emplacements everywhere. They are in hardened positions and are well protected.

“Each cannon has its own power supply. I don’t know the rate of fire but it is not quick. I suspect they are one shot one battleship cannon, admiral?” she replied and looked at Yoyo for confirmation.

Yoyo turned to admiral Sumati Neelam from intelligence. “Sumati, you have been intimately involved in this operation. What are the weak points we can exploit?”

“Yoyo, we only put together the complete information from the team today. The Zaos have been rushed investigating the other asteroids on short notice and the reports are full of holes. I sent you the consolidated report early yesterday, but I was inclined to call you, and say, ‘let’s not go until we have a plan that is not going to be prohibitively costly in lives and equipment.’ Then I thought you are the chief honcho, you have done brilliant things, if you didn’t have a plan you wouldn’t go.” She smiled sweetly and winked at Jason.

“If I was a doer rather than an information person, I would infiltrate them first. They don’t have the greatest security. We can infiltrate the asteroids and attack them from within. I don’t think it will work as we would need too many soldiers, but I would plan along those lines. Planning an attack is not my greatest strength.” She leaned back and scratched her head, then continued. “We could try and hit the asteroids with others asteroids. That can work but it will take a long time. We can’t get near enough to hit them with any degree of certainty. We could fire all our missiles and have no effect as they are so well defended.”

“I love it when you play dumb Sumati. Yes, I agree, those are obvious strategies,” said Yoyo. “Yet we are here today and we will knock them all out today,” said Yoyo smiling.

“Colonel what would you do?” Yoyo asked.

“I would assemble a series of bombs in the asteroids, blow them up then take the planet,” replied Basraba.

“That would work, what timeframe could you do it in?” Yoyo asked.

“I estimate three months admiral. We would need well placed bombs all over both asteroids. It will be hard as they have explosives sensors as well as many other sensors. Sir, may I ask, do you have a plan?” Basraba asked.

Andrea and Linda were sitting and grinning.

“Yes, I do. I have a very clever plan and so do Andrea and Linda. I have a unique weapon. I will ask the Emperor to do what he is thinking of doing,” said Yoyo laughing.

Jason laughed. “It will take me ten minutes to destroy both asteroids.”

“I assume you guys can get the hostages out?” Jason asked Basraba.

“Yes, Emperor, we could do it in under a week despite the fact they have locator and identification implants. We will prepare the plan. We mapped the passages so we know how we can get around the security down there. We can’t avoid a fight but we can ensure we win the battle. There is a bit of a risk but I believe we could do it.”

Yoyo looked at Andrea, Linda and Jason who were smiling.

“Are they fastened to walls or have restraints?” Yoyo asked.

“No admiral, they are a hundred meters down but two klicks from the exit. We know exactly where they are from outside, but we couldn’t drill down as the plain is too flat and we would be exposed,” said colonel Newmas Basraba. “The ground is also very hard to get through. It is hard rock.”

“How long Yoyo?” Jason asked.

“It will take us ten minutes at the most using the method of Chuck and Chloe along with an Azloc portable portal.”

“We will hit all the bases today?” Andrea asked.

“Of course. My wife expects me for dinner,” said Yoyo. “Jason may I suggest you don’t overexert yourself today. We are going to hit a nest of vestobars and they are going to try and sting us. You need to keep something in reserve. If we don’t hit them all today some of them will move away.”

“Those vestobars sound nasty, Yoyo, what might they be?” Linda asked.

“They are a nasty hunting insect that live in nests on the planet Yoyo and I come from. They have interlinking nests in the ground and communicate to other nests they are under attack. They can jump and bite their prey from some distance away. They have a poison that causes exquisite agony and in sufficient quantity leads to paralysis. They eat the prey alive,” said admiral Kalman Cazacul. “We come from the same place and I have been stung by vestobars. I would not recommend it. My ancestors tied their enemies on top of vestobar nests.

“I know the concept well,” said Jason. “We are inviting the Destroyers to send a fleet?”

Yoyo smiled a predatory smile.

“Yoyo invite your wife to dine with us tomorrow. I have some interesting wines that might appeal to both of you. Let’s make a party of this tomorrow,” said Jason. “I will liaise with Philippa on the way back.”

“I will consult with senior management on the way to the next asteroid, but Korin is not drinking as she is pregnant along with every Uzliumbax woman I know. Suddenly the Uzliumbax became fertile again.”

“Congratulations Yoyo-how long before we get there?” asked Jason.

“Ten minutes, let’s go to the enhancer in the control room?” Yoyo stood and looked quizzically at Jason.


Jason sat and attached himself to the psychic enhancer.

“Yoyo, who is handling the hostage extraction?” Jason asked.

“My people are not experienced in this area. General Janet Malone is managing the extraction as she has done it before. She will help coordinate a more complete planetary assault if necessary. Feraldus is in overall charge of the marines and special forces.” Yoyo replied.

“I await these cryptic plans with eager anticipation,” said the colonel. “I cannot imagine what the Emperor can do in ten minutes.”

Jason and Yoyo both smiled.

“Don’t hold your breath,” said Linda smiling broadly.

Jason saw the asteroids on the hologram. He formed a large ball of antimatter in a containment sphere and broke it in half. He then telekinetically moved the antimatter, half into each asteroid and after dividing it again into pieces which he placed in the developed sections.

The senior generals and admirals and colonel, and Jason’s group watched the hologram.

The sensors showed a rapid increase of temperature within the asteroids and then they spectacularly broke apart into six large fragments.

“Missiles are heading our way. It must be an automated response, they can’t see us. Antimissiles are away to mop them up. Now jump close in to the planet.” Yoyo ordered.

Jason watched cloaked assault craft head for the planet surface. The sensors showed many explosions a long distance away.

“All the enemy missiles have been intercepted,” said Adm. Kalman Cazacul.

“I deployed intelligence drones to assess and tag the asteroid remains. We have not detected escape craft,” said the battle AI. “The frigates with the Emperor’s transporter equipment are in place. Would you like to watch the extraction?”

“Yes,” said Yoyo, “activate all the room holograms please.”

Janet, dressed in her battle armor, looked towards Jason smiled and waved.

“Activate equipment. Marines ready?” Janet asked.

They raised their arms.

“Deploy,” said Janet.

They disappeared. Ten more stood on the plate.

“Deploy,” Janet said and transported into the underground tunnels.

They looked at the tunnels as shown by the sensors. The marines were designated blue, the enemy orange and the hostages pink. There were five guards near the hostages. The troops disposed of the guards. The marines entered the cells. Two marines stood with eight hostages. They appeared near Janet and were hustled off to the side out of holographic vision. A team of Azloc marines assembled a portal. A small tunnel tank was deployed along with further troops.

Several enemy appeared in the distance. Two marines fell before the tank maneuvered around the marines and fired at the enemy. The remaining hostages were ushered through the portal followed by most of the marines. The tank fired down the tunnel several times then returned through the portal. All the hostages and all the marine special forces were out. The portal was teleported out. There were two casualties.

Janet grinned at Jason. “One hundred-and-forty-eight seconds, not bad!”

“Janet, it’s a lot better than fighting down a mile and a half of passageways. Well done, general. How are the hostages?” Jason said.

“Jason, they look fine. They are with the medics. I will let you know if they have any problems. Now we hit the ground!”

The holograms split to show the two-pronged assault on the town.

An assault shuttle flanked by two gunships shot out of a portal at the top of the oblique rock.

“Yes,” said Yoyo, “we have flushed out our target!”

“Capturing ... now,” said general Feraldus Orlandini. “We got them all.”

Three small vessels halted in midair as if frozen and were drawn towards an assault frigate near the ground.

“What is that device?” Jason asked.

“Gravitic tug technology. We create a virtual high mass object and they are drawn to it and then into a shielded and armored chamber where we knock out all of their electronics using a grevaflux harpoon. They won’t die but they will not be in great shape for a while. They lose control of all of their bodily functions. The AIs are knocked out until we restart them,” said Eg’thach.

“They are likely to be our high value customers!” Yoyo remarked.

“We will keep an eye open for others. Jason look at this hologram” - Feraldus pointed at a smaller hologram then moved his hand paging through feeds - “Capture chamber please,” Feraldus ordered.

The hologram split to show marines approaching the shuttle and gunships, then opening the doors manually. They dragged out several bodies.

“There he is!” said Feraldus. He enlarged the picture to show the face of Łazarz Alberola. “We have Wotan!”

“We are taking the large AIs, senior officers and administrators. Then we will hit the planet with a missile which will kill all lifeforms bigger than a meter long. You will get back a planet free of large vermin, Jason!” Feraldus remarked.

“Thank you,” said Jason. “Andrea?”

“I am on it Jason. We will get people here today and clean it out before the stench gets too bad. We will send troops and ships with our miners in case some of the scum return from elsewhere,” said Linda. “Philippa has all your Association contacts. I will talk to her to get it all organized.”

“Janet says the hostages are fine. They were a bit banged up but easily fixed. Let’s head for breakfast. We are going to the furthest base first. We will work our way back,” said Yoyo. “That was a smooth operation, just as I like it.”


The next four bases were easily surprised. When they came out at the fifth, they saw on the sensors a fleet of ships of an unusual design. The ships were made up of balls joined by tubes to form a loose sphere of balls all joined to the central ball and each ball connected to two or more other balls.

Jason sent his mind towards the ships as he walked to the psychic enhancer.

He encountered a very different alien mind. They were looking for prey on the small planet below. They were also desperate as they were starving. They used to be able to find easy prey but now it was difficult as they faced large hostile fleets everywhere. They had serendipitously found the asteroid. They had caught a frigate with miners on board and interrogated them about the planetary defenses. They meticulously planned the operation and believed from what they knew that they would be able to take the planet without excessive casualties. Jason continued to pursue more information. He discovered they were part of a bigger fleet.

Jason searched until he found the position and vector of the fleet guarding massive mother ships.

Jason looked at Yoyo quizzically.

“Those ships belong to a nomadic species called the Oojokhi. They feed on the psychic energy of others. They can use it effectively, unlike the Ghouls. One feed would last months. They feed psychically on some prey then eat some of their prey and paralyze others for their young to feed upon. They deposit the young all over the prey. They live off every known life-form. They are universally hated.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.