Spider Queen Book 8 - Cover

Spider Queen Book 8

Copyright© 2020 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 17: Etarstaway

“That is a gorgeous city,” said Linda. “It looks like it was built from crystals. This is the first city I have seen where so much of it is above ground. I love the spires and liquid shapes. Those buildings look miles high. The colors are lovely. The buildings look like they were made from crystal.”

Jason with Ooryphyon glued to his side looked at the city as they drew closer, the sky began to lighten and the colors changed from blues to pinks and orange. The city was awakening. Shuttles flew in defined corridors, but none intruded into the path of the convoy.

“We are heading for your estate Jason. We will be there in five minutes. From there we travel by portal preceded by and accompanied by our guards. We will secure every place you go,” Sophie Stone informed Jason. “We have thousands of guards on your estate and a garrison nearby.”

The sky was becoming brighter outside and he watched the spectacular city spread out below. Soon everyone moved closer to the window holograms to look out. There were several exclamations at how beautiful it was. A blue tinged sun peeped over the horizon. Two fading moons could be seen, one much larger than the other. A craggy mountain range towered in the distance.

“What is our schedule?” Jason asked.

“Sire, we will reach your estate in five minutes. You have time to refresh yourselves and exercise before breakfast. After breakfast you will meet formally with the allied leaders. We saw the Parzool fleet as we entered the system, the other fleets are around the planet,” the pilot of the gunship replied.

The Dinnion delegation looked at the city with interest. Jason smiled as they spoke to each other enthusiastically and showed each other sites of interest.

The gunship and accompanying fighters changed direction and flew directly towards the ground. Jason involuntarily closed his eyes and held his seat tightly. When he opened them, they were in a cavernous hanger and the pilot was grinning at him. Jason smiled at him. “I hate portals I can’t see!”

The pilot laughed.

“It must be scare the pants off the Emperor day,” Jason said to the pilot, who smiled back at him then silently pointed towards the open hatch.

Jones led the way to a portal. The group met the estate staff briefly before everyone was shown their rooms. Everyone carried their own assault rifle and other favorite weapons in a pack. They all wore light armor. Each room had a second dresser for heavy combat armor. Jason ensure each room had several weapons keyed to the individual available.

Jason made his way to the luxurious gym after using the refresher. He met his groups and the Dinnion and they exercised together. The gym AI showed the Dinnion how to use the machines. Jason could not fail to notice how strong and agile they were.

The gym AIs convened a martial arts class and the participants were instructed in several techniques new to Jason and they were divided into pairs to practice. Jason was again impressed by the remarkable skills of the Dinnion.

Jason walked over to Razza. Julia and several of the University groups joined them.

“Guys, I must meet with the leaders today. I arranged tours for you. I will join the leaders at breakfast. Shall we meet up for dinner?”

“Fine Jason, as usual you bring us along and dump us,” said Julia grinning. “Have a boring day, while we cavort around your planet. At least we were brought here by a decent Uzliumbax ship and they loaned you a few more for the trip. We suffer on your junkets.”

Julia wiped her brow.


Jason introduced the Dinnion to the other leaders as each of them came down for breakfast.

Jason sat with Queen Elizaveta of the Gromelix and Queen Lynas of the Parzool along with Emperor Cassius his Uncle, his aunt the Empress Alana, Marduk the Orc, Queen Basarab Afumati of the Dinnion and her daughters Chanilsaya, Jiskossa and Lisossa. He turned his head to see who else had arrived.

He waved at Queen Mergal, Emperor Ergol and Emperor in waiting Dawood Char, Razza’s father, Ouma Chatzke, Emperor Felix Nazared of the Jumo and his Prime Minister Cephus, Emperor Mechtocht of the Ordreg, Chief Regent Sysusha Ganinis of the Dinnion and her assistant, Chairman Lessmor Schmerl newly appointed leader of the Schlogg and Messmor Schmergel senior admiral of the Schlogg her second in command and the Prime minister of Teokraeus Sisy Gususy. He waved at Jacques and Freya leaders of the Warriors of the Apocalypse and King Alanarra Chamadar and his wife Bekra of the Zaos. He finally saw ‘The One,’ the leader of the Una walk through the door in his avatar form Monty. He looked towards Jason and waved.

Jason looked around. The tables floated in the air without visible support as did the chairs. It was disconcerting. He was weightless but secure and stable in his chair. Everything on the table was made of transparent crystal with the only color provided by unusually colored flowers in the center of the round tables. The restaurant looked like it was in a clearing in a forest. The walls were transparent and the roof floated above them with no visible supports. Several small birds flew in and out and were shoed away by the waitstaff when they settled on tables. There were calls of birds and animals Jason could not recognize. He smelled the forest and felt a warm breeze.

“Jason, you do have some interesting homes,” said Queen Lynas Parayekt, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but for the meeting changed into her human form as did most of the guests whose usual size was large.

“I went for a walk around this morning as I wake early,” said Queen Elizaveta Epilex a small dragon in her optional seven-foot form, “and I explored this place. It is huge and extends for miles. There are underground parks with waterfalls, an area dedicated to relaxation and entertainment and many conference and work areas. It has a large staff. You can entertain thousands of guests concurrently.

“If you think of where you want to go, I was guided by a light that showed the way. I thought of a tour and was provided with a guide in the form of a small Gromelix who chatted with me in our language. I even enjoyed a hot mud bath and then washed off before breakfast in a heated waterfall. I wanted to fly in my normal size. She took me to the biggest hanger I have ever seen and we flew around but it was too constrained; then the walls turned transparent and we flew out into the forest. We were covered by two frigates above us and a fleet of fighters nearby. The walls of the hanger became portals. It was extraordinary. My guide showed she could belch fire, and produce electricity just like us. I would never have known it was an AI until it told me.

“We flew over the city. It was lovely. The surface was busy. At ground level there are many restaurants and recreational parks. We saw hundreds of thousands exercising in the parks. Many looked up at us and waved.

“We flew a short distance further and saw farms surrounded by forests extending into the far distance. By then it was time to get back for breakfast. When we got back to the forest my guide dived towards the ground and we went through the portal into the hanger,” she said happily.

“I believe your daughter and the children will be visiting after the meeting today,” said Marduk and laughed. “Admirals Chloe and Chuck triumphed in the Collective. I went along to support our team and spent some time with your grandchildren. They are amusing and pleasant company. They behave like children but transform in the competition. They have great strategic talent.

“Your son Craig went along. He is a pleasant young man and very polite, but was overwhelmed. He is battling to accept his father and has some odd views about you that go back a long way,” said Marduk.

“Lauren always did a little better than he did at school and he felt I favored her in the business as she was more able. He felt I controlled him and he could not become his own person and he needed to work independently. He is the only person who has ever called me controlling in my entire life. He did very well after setting up his own business and slowly began to do some work with us.” Jason scratched his head and frowned.

“I struggle to understand his real problem. If I think back, his attitude changed towards me in his late teens. I could no longer relate to him as I did when he was younger. He was angry with me but refused to say why. It is a puzzle I have never solved. He did get his genes optimized on my battleship when I visited Earth, but spent no time on the ship and he has done nothing else. His sons, who are fine young men, are studying in the Collective and are doing well. I am delighted he is leaving Earth and exploring. I hope someone will help him see the universe and his father a little differently. I would love to have a closer relationship with him, but I have not succeeded so far. Perhaps in another few centuries he will see it all differently.”

Jason sighed.

“How are your people doing Marduk?” Jason asked.

“We are doing well. I am delighted the Uzliumbax have returned and we can do something for them. They did so much for us in the past. We value your gift of the ultimate education package. It is put together elegantly.

“We all are gearing up to take part in the assaults on the criminal syndicates this week. It is shaping up as a huge operation extending over many planets.” Marduk turned his head and smiled then indicated behind Jason, “Here comes your old friend ‘The One’ in his avatar form as Montgomery. I think they are consulting with your people about returning to their old humanoid flying form.”

“Monty, I am delighted to see you. How is Winston?” Jason asked.

“He is well, Jason and he is helping our people get ready for their move from Bekta Delta. He still talks whimsically about the good times you both had when he was within you in a trans-dimensional pocket. He complains he has not had as close a relationship with anyone else he has advised!” Monty laughed uproariously. “He misses the sheer terror he felt on several occasions.” Monty laughed louder.

Jason smiled. “I can easily understand you these days Monty. I am no more intelligent so why are you less enigmatic?”

“You are not far from the end of your puzzles Jason. After that it is plain boring hard work, also you have shot past my humble level. I am also much more grounded since I have spent time with your old friend Porquenta. He is definitely grounded, deeply so and I hear going to be much deeper in the future. He had the audacity to pop into my head while I was contemplating my navel, and planning for the end of this universe.” He roared with laughter.

“Monty, I think he has been a bad influence on you. How will you relate when you are flying and he is underground?” Jason asked.

“We will still enjoy our flights of fantasy,” said Montgomery and laughed again. “I hope you enjoy your surprises in the next few days.”

“Soon all of us will move to new bodies in our old form. We will not move as did all your people and lose our memories. We will use the technology from Porquenta and improved by the Uzliumbax and Collective and construct a form that is Una, but is a later generation bio-mechanical body based on the design of Sheila.

“Your doctors, AIs and engineers have in a very short time radically improved the construction techniques and can build a body in a week. It is much like the rebuild you had Jason. They have also shortened rebuilds for themselves to four days. They are moving people out of stasis very much faster, Jason. Your own people will all be out in ten months. I cannot believe how fast they work and get organized.

“Winston is supervising the building of medical facilities in Bekta Delta,” he added.

“I hope it goes well,” said Jason.

“I want to thank you and the Una again for all the recent help we have had from you, Monty. Your methods were of critical help with fighting the Ghouls and keeping them from attacking the Azayal. In the recent attack on Porquenta your guys fought well.” Jason told him.

“Jason I would like to believe we are both friends and family. We certainly feel like you are family. Family does for other family without thought and concern about sacrifice. We also do not keep a record of who does what for whom,” Montgomery replied.

“I very much feel part of the Una and I hope your body migrations as well as your planetary moves go well,” said Jason.

Montgomery walked off and went to chat to Elizaveta.

They talked with their heads close together looked often at Jason and both looked like they were giggling.

Ixal Kabal, the Ghoul Queen, approached Jason smiling broadly and kissed him on the cheek, “How is my handsome Emperor today.”

“Ixal, I am delighted to see you. How are you doing?”

“I am so excited. We move our first planet in a week and we complete our moves in the next six months. We are also talking to your people about a new generation of bodies. We are constructing new or modifying existing facilities to upgrade ourselves. This will happen on a grand scale for the Zaos, the Ordreg, the Una and for us. What about you guys Marduk?”

“We are thinking the same. I felt enormously better in this upgraded body and believe it is worthwhile. We have had discussions with the Collective, but I will also talk to the Uzliumbax as so many of you are moving that way.”

Jones moved to the front of the room and bowed slightly from the waist, “Illustrious leaders of the alliance our meeting is starting in ten minutes. Please follow your guiding lights.”

Jason walked with Cassius, Alana and Felix while Elizaveta and Lynas strode ahead. The group entered a large atrium with the sky above and in a forest shedding autumn leaves. “You certainly have intense security in here,” said Alana. “There are heavily armed people around all the time.”

“There are even more forces nearby on the surface,” said Jason, “I am taking no chances.”

“This atrium is gorgeous,” said Philippa, “and I adore the smells and colors. I love the birds flying into the forest and out of the portals. I wonder how those planters filled with flowers are all suspended in the air. How do they water them?”

They walked towards one of the walls. There were flowers with no evident supports in beds 25cm. above the paving. The wall was made up of multicolored crystals and constantly changed color. The blinking light headed towards the wall and they walked right through it and along a corridor with fish swimming above and around them.

Lynas and Elizaveta laughed as huge fish swam in front of them and opened its mouth to show its long and sharp teeth. Elizaveta opened her mouth and so did Lynas. The fish saw both sets of teeth and swam off as Elizaveta and Lynas giggled. The group entered a large conference facility with tables arranged in a big U. Jason’s light guided him to the base of the U next to Ouma Chatzke who he had asked to chair the meeting.

The floor was made of tiny highly polished stones. The stones created patterns that changed slowly to form several different forest floors. The tables looked like they had been carved from huge trees and hung suspended by chains in front of his guests. Each person had a holographic projector in front of them and a slate. The walls gradually became transparent to show the forest. The outside sounds were slowly muted.

Horace Smith the Chief Butler with Jones next to him stood on the podium on a slightly raised stage facing Jason.

“Emperors and Empresses, Kings and Queens, Regents, Ladies and Gentlemen, I welcome all of you to this facility the Emperor’s resort on Ethora. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. This facility has remained unused for well over a million years, but you are seeing it exactly as it was. Jones tells me that most of your ancestors visited this resort and Gromelikine on several occasions. The Emperor used to spend most weekends here as he loved nature and knew the forest like the back of his hand. He never hunted in the forest as he said, ‘People deserved to be hunted; harmless animals did not’. He was also known to say, ‘The animals are more human than many of my least favorite people and enjoy a higher order of sentience’.

Several species of animals have become sentient in recent years. The first to do so achieved sentience a million and a half years ago. Most Uzliumbax had elected to become vegetarian and even those who ate meat or fish, ate it infrequently. We have ensured that we have only fed you meat from non-sentient animals. Most meat we produce is cultured in large containers as we prefer not to harm animals. We grow vegetable cultures that taste like meat.

“The facilities are clearly marked and will show themselves as you need them. Mid-morning we will bring refreshments and place them on the side tables. We will have a light lunch and a formal dinner tonight. I will now hand you over to your Chairman Ouma Chatzke.”

Ouma Chatzke slowly stood.

“Allies, friends and prospective allies. I was asked by Jason to chair this meeting as I have traditionally chaired all our previous meetings. I have added an agenda item, that you can see on your slate, which is a discussion of who should chair these meetings in the future and how long the tenure of the chairperson should be. For today, I am honored to chair this meeting and greet the Dinnion our friends, who sought to ally with us as they felt they were under threat.”

Her audience cheered. The Dinnion smiled.

“Well, I must say, matters did not work out as both we and they had predicted.” Ouma Chatzke waved her arms towards the Dinnion then opened them widely. She shook her head, briefly looked down then back at her audience.

“Jason’s illness precipitated a trip to the Dinnion regency where he was pursued by the Azloc Queen Valsam. She captured him and returned here to be an Empress. Her mother evidently did not like the idea of Jason as a son-in-law and attacked Porquenta. I recall it was only days prior to that attack, Jason had remarked, he had remarkably good mothers-in-law of which I was proud to be one. Jason is lucky I accepted him as a son-in-law.

“I welcome Valsam to her first meeting with the allies and I hope the first of many.”

Valsam stood and waved her arm horizontally once to acknowledge her audience and then bowed as she looked at the attendees. She sat down and broke into a broad grin.

“Our first agenda item before we discuss previous issues that arise is the question of the Dinnion joining us as allies. They formally petition to join our alliance and secondly, they note they will sign the treaty of alliance with us all and follow our agreements and the articles of the alliance.

“Does anyone wish to speak on this? I see not. Those in favor please indicate by standing. I note ‘yes’ with unanimous agreement. Welcome to the alliance Regent and Queen.

“The next item is previous business but I have had several requests to table another item of business first. I tend to agree, it is most appropriate to table that item next.”

Brecht Chatzke glanced at Jason briefly. Jason noticed the ghost of a smile form and disappear just as quickly. He frowned.

Ouma Chatzke turned to look towards the tables on her left.

“Cassius, will you or Felix speak?” Brecht asked as she waved her arm towards them.

Cassius stood and slowly walked to the podium. “Felix and I wish to formally inform the alliance we are floundering. We have been battling to try and cope with enemies that are becoming progressively more and more difficult and we face overwhelming educational challenges. Had Valsam not returned with Jason and had the Azloc Queen attacked either of our Empires with even one quarter of the force she used on Porquenta, she would have conquered our empires.

“We feel overwhelmed by the challenges of moving ahead. We are coming from a technical and educational level far behind most of you. The Azloc still have a powerful fleet. The Destroyers are regrouping to attack once more and who knows what enemy is over the horizon.

“If we had a thousand years, I would be less worried but we have faced one enemy after the other and they are getting more advanced. We just cannot keep up. We are doing better economically and industrially than we have ever been, but we are concerned we cannot pull our weight in this alliance and if we are attacked, we will not be able to defend ourselves. We know we can ask for help and we know that we will get it, but we want to join the Uzliumbax Empire and be formally under the Uzliumbax umbrella.”

Cassius sat down and smiled at Felix and Alana. Jason saw Alana hold Cassius’ hand. She looked lovingly at Cassius, then slowly turned to grin at Jason.

“May I open what Cassius and Felix have said for general discussion? Mechtocht of the Ordreg has indicated he wishes to speak, he will be followed by Alanarra of the Zaos and then Marduk of the Orc then Ixal Kabal of the Ghouls,” said Brecht.

Mechtocht stood up. He towered above the table. He looked powerful as he stood with his lower two hands on the table holding his slate, dwarfed by his plate sized upper hands. His arms were powerfully muscled and bulged as he clenched his slate.

“We of the Ordreg became allied with the Uzliumbax and then joined them as Cassius proposes more millions of years ago than I can recall. We were supported and assisted but never quite caught up. The Uzliumbax were generous but reserved in those times. There was a war that lasted thousands of years and we all tired. By the end we were demoralized and fearful. We often talked to the Zaos of the difficulties we faced against terrible foes. The Uzliumbax became more introspective and insular and disappeared after the end of the War. We were left flabbergasted and terrified. You all know what happened to us and the disastrous war we waged against the Zaos.

“When the Emperor returned after his descent as Jason, we were delighted. Shortly after fear began to gnaw on my bones. Could we be let down again. We knew we had to rejoin the Uzliumbax but we did not know what it would be like. Jason told us he could not remember the past after his descent.

“Cassius, the last time round the Uzliumbax acted as generous consultants. We paid our taxes, but they were a trivial burden. We received help to improve our ships and our industry. They sold us ships and weapons while we provided soldiers and contributed our ships to the fight.

“It is a profoundly different experience this time round. Jason gave us bodies and ships and helped us move planets. We have been given the priceless gift of an educational system that is self-updating and is the best of the best. It is what they will use for themselves. The Uzliumbax are building us newer and better bodies, they are updating our industry and we have billions of our people scattered in the Uzliumbax Empire before it is even fully awake, learning in factories to make and use new products. We are sending all our shipbuilders to them to work on their docks while they teach us to make new shipbuilding facilities. We will all work on new ship designs that are interoperable. Our people are happy and we feel the Emperor and the Uzliumbax have moved a long way. The bad news is Empress Philippa has raised our taxes to what we would have expected to pay.”

Mechtogt laughed. His laughter boomed around the room.

“I am happier to pay more taxes because I can also be more demanding, if only I could think of what to demand. The education system is worth twice the taxes. It is at least two million years ahead of where we are now. To get Azloc, Schlogg, Grork, Zaos, Destroyer, Uzliumbax and perhaps Dinnion education in the future is something I could never have even conceived possible from the old Emperor and the previously reserved Uzliumbax. Thank you, Chairman.” He grinned at Jason and sat down.

“Alanarra, the floor is yours.” Brecht intoned.

“Friends I can only echo the words of Mechtocht. We are delighted to be part of the new and better Uzliumbax Empire,” said Alanarra King of the Zaos.

“Ixal, the floor is yours,” said Ouma pointing at her.

“We Ghouls betrayed the Uzliumbax and our allies. Our subsequent conduct was reprehensible. Yet the Emperor helped us rehabilitate ourselves and allowed us to rejoin the Uzliumbax. We always enjoyed the relationship we had with the Uzliumbax but now we will all be able to have our own children and live a fulfilled life as we have always wished. I can only encourage Cassius and Felix to become part of the Uzliumbax.” Ixal smiled at Jason and sat down.

“Do I have any further comments?” Brecht asked.

“Jacques, you first then Mergal and then ‘The One’ ... and I believe Queen Afumati wishes to speak,” she said seeing them indicate a wish to speak.

“We the Warriors are of the Uzliumbax and we intend to merge with the Uzliumbax once more. We have the confidence to do so.” Jacques said.

“The Azayal will also formally petition to join the Uzliumbax.” Mergal stated emphatically.

“We the Dinnion will enter discussions to merge our peoples. We formally announce we will also contribute our education as a gesture of goodwill,” said Queen Basarab Afumati emotionally. “I am sending academics to teach on Mars and we will exchange academics with all of you who join the Empire. We offer education in our facilities to all of you who wish to be educated on our planets. We intend to do as the Uzliumbax are doing, send our people to all of you to help you along. We have been insular for far too long.

“We the Una petition to become part of the Uzliumbax Empire,” said Montgomery as ‘the One’.

“Do we have any other comments, statements or questions?” Brecht asked then stated, “As there are no more comments ... I will call on Jason to reply.”

“I am delighted to enter into negotiations with all of you who wish to join us as long as you all remain in your positions or appoint someone in your place. You will join my Kings and Queen on our ruling body. I don’t think it will make any difference to what I wanted us to do together. I don’t intend to take over or do anything drastic or even minor without your agreement. Our task is to help all of you reach the best level we can achieve. Brecht has always told me there is a gap between the education and the attitude changes that need to happen. There is a process of change that happens between learning, acquiring knowledge, gaining experience and gaining the wisdom and judgement necessary to operate sophisticated societies.

“Each civilization has different sets of knowledge. Some have highly advanced knowledge. This knowledge will all be integrated and continuously evolve. Everyone will have a lot to learn but some very much more. We have considerable work to do and every group will need to put in a considerable effort.

“I will now ask my Kings and Queens to explain further and will also ask Ouma Chatzke and my grandfather in law Ergol Char to comment in their infinite wisdom. I have appointed two AIs to be King and Queen as well. I also have Adm. Yoyo Arsames who is my top Admiral waiting outside. Thomas would you like to get Yoyo?” Jason asked.

“Thank you, Jason he is entering now, it is most appropriate for him to begin the discussion.” Thomas agreed.

Yoyo walked in smiling and almost bouncing as he moved quickly to the podium.

Jason rose to introduce him.

“Yoyo our allies wish to join our empire. How can we help them in your domain? In order to establish his credibility firmly in your minds I will create a frame of reference that will be familiar to you all! I will not tell you about his long and illustrious career because how do you know it is as illustrious as I think it is, but I will tell you ‘admirals’ Chuck and Chloe regard him as the greatest Admiral of all time. I can think of no better introduction and recommendation. He knows them from their previous roles when they joined my jaunt across universes to Norbut 19 the origin of the Uzliumbax. Yoyo assures me Chuck and Chloe are the greatest of past Admirals. He even showed them who they were and showed some of the battles they planned. Descent is a confusing business, more so for those who descend and know nothing of their own past.”

The audience tittered. Jason saw many nodding their heads.

“Yoyo, can you explain what you propose?”

“Thank you Emperor ... err ... Jason.” Yoyo looked at Jason and smiled.

“I am delighted to meet you all and propose a program of work to guarantee we can all defend ourselves and be at an equal level of development in the not too distant future. We know we need to educate ourselves, arm ourselves, develop sophisticated businesses and industry and develop appropriate infrastructure to support our activities.

“We will ensure you receive the best education our combined resources can produce. We will develop and then help you use our templates for your infrastructure. We will teach you and expose you to our industries and businesses. We will trade fairly with you all and ensure we all play by the rules. We will examine all our laws, policies and administrative practices to ensure they are evolving following the best evidence.

“The Uzliumbax have had a bleak period. Our civilization declined after our emperor left. We are reverting to the time he was with us and we will ensure we become better.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.