A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 10 - Bridget - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 10 - Bridget

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 14: Piecing Together The Puzzle

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 14: Piecing Together The Puzzle - Steve's interior life has been in turmoil for months as NIKA has grown too large to be managed as a small business, and he's once again trying to balance his own impulses around what's best for him against what's best for those he loves most. While took a European Birgit coming to America to set Steve's story in motion, it'll be an American Bridget in Europe that helps him finally achieve «Lagom» and bring it to a close… at least until his eldest son and daughter hit puberty.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

September 17, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“Think this is safe?” Stephanie asked as we sat in the back corner of Venice Café.

“As safe as any place,” I replied. “It’s noisy, and they play music constantly. How?”

“He simply walked out the kitchen door at the prison, got in a truck, and drove away.”

“Oh, come on!”

“That is the gist, Steve; I’m not kidding. They found someone who is roughly the same height, build, complexion, and hair color, and had him go to work for a company that makes food deliveries to the prison. That was about four months ago. On Thursday, they managed, with the help of two guards, to get the guy and Noel to swap clothes, and then the imposter started a fight with the guards such that they beat him up pretty badly, including breaking his nose and jaw, giving him two black eyes, and breaking his arm. He went to the infirmary and then to the local hospital; Noel simply walked out of the prison, got into the truck, and drove away.”

“And the injuries made it impossible to know it wasn’t actually him, without fingerprints, blood tests, or DNA.”

“Exactly. He didn’t need a transfusion, and despite the hospital typing his blood, nobody checked it against Noel’s prison records, or if they did, they assumed it was an error. Supposedly that happens often enough nobody would have been suspicious. He was the right age and build, had the right clothes, right hair color, and so on.”

“So who’s the guy?”

“Somebody willing to do a long stint in prison for Noel. I don’t know what the payoff was, but I’m sure it had to be huge, and probably in such a way that it can’t easily be found. Samantha put someone on it.”

“That guy she told me about?”

“Yes. Better you don’t know the details beyond that at this point.”

“I agree. So then what?”

“The truck was returned to the company and the guy, well, Noel, punched out and went to the guy’s house. The next day the employee’s wife called and said he was sick.”

“I take it she’s been arrested?”

“That’s what I hear. Along with the two guards, obviously.”

“Obviously. OK, so where is Noel?”

“Nobody knows. The security camera at the company the guy worked for shows Noel getting into the guy’s car and driving away. The car was left at the guy’s house. The trail goes cold there.”

“Do I want to know how you got this information?”

“Samantha’s Rolodex has all kinds of interesting names.”

“Got it. Any trace of Matheson, Foulkes, or Monroe?”

“Not that I know of. Matheson was divorced and wasn’t dating. Well, he was banging his secretary, but that’s unfortunately all too common at Spurgeon, despite Samantha trying to crack down on it. ‘Crack and Hookers’ will likely never go away. Anyway, the other two disappeared with their wives. Neither of them had kids younger than 18, and those kids don’t seem to know what happened, given how the FBI is handling things.”

“They wouldn’t have a clue, if the guys are smart. What’s your guess?”

“For Samantha’s dad? A car out of state to a small airfield, then a small plane to someplace closer to the border. From there? Who knows. They did check Saint Martin and he didn’t show up there. I don’t know about Monaco.”

“And the others?”

“With Matheson in Florida, you do the math. A boat somewhere to the Caribbean and who knows where after that. For the other two assholes? Canada, if they could, but otherwise, the same route Samantha’s dad took, or something similar. I hear the FBI is checking every small airfield in the Midwest.”

“That’s a joke,” I replied. “Albert said he wants to learn to fly and I checked into the minimum age, which is sixteen for a student certificate and seventeen for a pilot’s license. You can learn sooner, but hours don’t count until you’re sixteen. Anyway, I also discovered there are a lot of airfields with no tower and nobody on site. You just click your radio on a certain frequency to turn on the lights and make a radio call to warn other planes you’re landing.”

“So they could have had a Cessna or something at some grass field and nobody would have a clue?”

“Exactly. And no flight plan. If they fly low enough, nobody cares, so long as they stay out of controlled airspace around big airports or military installations. And once they’re out of the area, they don’t have to hide anything because there are so many airfields and you don’t have to list passengers by name, if the field is even attended. And even if you did have to provide a passenger list, they could just give fake names. Anyway, I’m REALLY curious about why that guy would take a beating and accept a VERY long prison sentence.”

“I’d say Jack Ruby, but finding someone who had the physical characteristics AND terminal cancer? And a wife who was willing to go to jail? And the two prison guards?”

“There’s something more there, but I’d let it all go, Squirt.”

“Oh, I’m not looking into it. All that information came from someone in Samantha’s Rolodex, as I said.”

“I think we both need to get back to work,” I replied.

“Call me,” Stephanie requested.

“I will. Tell Brian I’m available for anything he needs.”

“Of course. I take it you’re sure this is all bullshit?”

“You tell me, Squirt; IS she involved?”

“If she is, she hid it from me and that would be damned near impossible. I’d stake pretty much anything on ‘not’.”

“Same with Eve,” I replied.

We hugged, and left the café, and each headed back to our own offices. Just as I was walking in the front door, my cell phone rang. I recognized the number immediately.

“Hi, Melanie,” I said mirthfully. “How was court?”

“Not NEARLY as interesting as your morning. I’m with Grace and Sam right now waiting on the Clerk so we can ask for an emergency bond hearing from the magistrate judge.”

“What are the odds?”

“For non-violent crimes? Pretty good. The flight risk will be an issue, but we’ll offer to surrender passports as a condition. I think Eve is pretty easy - they can ask for enough to keep her here. You know the problem with Samantha.”

“What do they have?”

“Sam is reading the application for the arrest warrant right now. They didn’t go the Grand Jury, obviously, which means there has to be a probable cause hearing. We may actually waive our rights to that to expedite setting bail. Otherwise, it could take a couple of days.”

“Isn’t that risky?”

“The government almost always wins probable cause hearings just like they almost always get ‘true bills’ from a Grand Jury. I know you agree with me on just how rigged that is against defendants.”

“I do. How much cash do you think I’ll need for Eve?” I asked.

“Call it a hundred grand, but for Eve we can get an agreement without the cash up front. If we don’t deliver it in a couple of days, they arrest her, and you, for guaranteeing her appearance. Samantha may be a different story.”

“It’s all bullshit, Melanie.”

“I have no doubt. Grace told me they tried to execute a warrant on NIKA and your home in violation of the immunity agreement.”

“We worked it out,” I replied. “They agreed to dismiss the warrants if I cooperated as I said I would, and if they could search Eve’s office and computer. Jamie agreed they’d get a warrant for her office without any trouble.”

“Most likely, yes. Did you promise anything else?”

“No. They asked for Noel Spurgeon but I don’t know where he is, and that’s the truth. I don’t believe Samantha knows, either. What I suspect is Noel and Murray Matheson are going to use the turmoil to try to steal Spurgeon Capital, or at least some major clients, from Samantha.”

“Do you know any more about what happened?”

“Call Stephanie and ask her.”

“Will do. I’ll keep you posted. Grace said you’ll sign a personal guarantee for Eve.”

“Just call me and I’ll be there. The same is true for Samantha, but I find it hard to believe my promise would mean much given her net worth.”

“Not likely,” Melanie said. “Maybe Warren Buffet, but not you or me!”

“I can call Jeri if need be, and probably Alec Glass. I also have other resources if we need them.”

“Got it. I’ll keep you posted.”

“Thanks.”

I hung up and went into the building. I spoke briefly to Lucas, then headed up to my office.

“I didn’t see any Marshals or FBI Agents,” I said.

“They’re gone,” Kimmy replied. “They took Eve’s computer tower with them. Brenda made sure it was properly shut down and disconnected. The Board meeting is set for 1:30pm. I managed to get Karl, but Ginny sounded annoyed.”

“Thanks. I think she thought all the Chicago stuff was behind her. Would you assemble the ‘Kitchen Cabinet’ plus Julia and Cindi? And order lunch for us, please.”

“Chinese?”

“That’s easiest. And actually, wait to call everyone until the food is delivered. I need to make some calls.”

I went into my office and Penny just shook her head. I sat down and dialed Ben Jackson’s phone number.

“You sure as hell attract a lot of Federal attention,” he said, laughing ruefully.

“Tell me about it. We’re clean, just as we’ve always been clean. I take it the prison break made the news in California?”

“When a guy who was charged with around a hundred counts of child porn and that many charges of what amounts to statutory rape escapes from prison, it’s front-page news everywhere. Remember that retainer you signed with us?”

“Yes, why?”

“Because now the FBI has to hang up; I’m acting as your attorney.”

“Wonderful,” I sighed.

He counted to ten softly.

“Is Spurgeon’s daughter involved in ANY way?”

“Neither I, nor my sister who works for Samantha, believe she has anything to do with this. And before you ask, I’ve literally trusted Eve with my life, so I can’t imagine she’s involved in any way.”

“Do you have any idea who IS involved?”

“Three guys who worked at Spurgeon until yesterday. I’m sure they’ll all end up together somewhere. My guess is Bahrain or the UAE, but they could go for some non-extradition country, too.”

“If I had that kind of cash, and didn’t mind the Islamic lifestyle, one of those emirates or sheikdoms would be the place.”

“I agree. But Costa Rica wouldn’t be a bad choice. The problem with the emirates is that if you piss off the Emir, he doesn’t need a court order to send you packing.”

“If the US government wants you bad enough,” Ben declared, “it’s tough to stop them unless you have a government the US can’t intimidate like the former USSR, China, or Cuba. But I can’t imagine any of them taking him. And the South American countries learned their lessons with Robert Vesco.”

“I forgot about HIM!” I exclaimed. “A fugitive financier, who fled an SEC investigation and bounced around Central America and wound up in Cuba.”

“He’s why I’d say Costa Rica isn’t actually an option for Spurgeon and his buddies. Vesco tried Antigua and the Bahamas, and tried to go back to Costa Rica, but they repealed the law that prevented his extradition. He went to Nicaragua under the Sandinistas, and then, eventually, to Cuba. So I don’t think that’s going to be what these guys try.”

“Me either. I don’t give them much chance in the long run.”

“I think you’re right in that it depends on the Emirs. Are you at any risk? Or NIKA?”

“No. I have a full immunity agreement for myself and NIKA based on cooperation and I’m cooperating.”

“OK,” Ben replied, sounding relieved. “I’ll keep the lid on here. It really is just another one of those ‘Federal entanglements’ where you’re the good guy, which, believe it or not, helps in the long run, even if it gives all of us dyspepsia while it’s happening!”

“Tell me about it,” I sighed. “How is Megan?”

“Improving day by day. Sam’s been a huge help. Thanks for bailing us out.”

“You’re welcome. I’ll call you with any updates. I have another dozen calls to make.”

We said ‘goodbye’ and hung up and I moved on to the next call. The calls after Ben Jackson were shorter, and I finished just before the Chinese food was delivered. I asked Penny to take her lunch and after a bit of grousing, she agreed. Everyone gathered and we started eating.

“How is she doing?” Elyse asked, nodding towards the departing Penny.

“I think she and Terry will get back together,” I said. “They’re negotiating terms for him to move into the house. Separate bedrooms, at least to start with.”

“I bet THAT will go over big with Alice.”

“I spoke to Bart over the weekend and he’s cool with it. But Alice is going to be her usual self.”

“Are we sure this is a good idea?” Julia asked.

“You absolutely CANNOT interfere, Julia,” Deborah quickly interjected. “The only thing you can do is watch for favoritism, but the pay and bonus rules, as well as Steve’s policies, make favoritism nearly impossible. You’re more likely to succeed if you object to Tasha being her boss, but you allowed that to happen with no objections, so you can’t really go back on it now.”

“That’s not why we’re here,” I said. “Deborah, what did they take from Eve’s office?”

“Her handwritten appointment book, her Rolodex, and her handwritten notes. I checked and nothing they took is proprietary work product, nor was there anything there which would cause us any business issues. And honestly, I saw nothing there to give anyone any heartburn. They took her, uhm, computer tower, but Brenda oversaw that.”

I chuckled, “I take it you called it the ‘hard drive’ and Brenda ‘explained’ it to you? Again?”

“So sue me!” Deborah laughed. “Isn’t the hard drive in there and isn’t it the only part that really matters in this case?”

“Yes, but the motherboard, video card, network card, RAM, and other stuff is in there as well. And you know Brenda!”

“I do. She said something about teaching me the proper terms even if she had to beat me with a Cat-5 cable!”

“Not tie you up with it?” Charlie smirked. “Having two kids has made her boring as hell!”

“Let’s try to stay on topic,” I chuckled.

“Sex is ALWAYS on topic!” Cindi laughed.

“The CURRENT topic,” I countered.

“Brenda went through the backup of Eve’s computer and her email with me and there is nothing there which should worry us. They have squat. I mean ZERO.”

“Good. And the financial records?”

“They basically gave up and left after about an hour,” Elyse said. “I simply buried them in reports. It’ll take them days to go through what I gave them and they will find zero. And it will match whatever they subpoena from First Chicago and Bank of America, and with our tax returns. There is literally nothing there.”

“Good. Cindi, what about the Press?”

“I have a pair of statements that read almost exactly as you said. I’d like to fax them now.”

She handed them to me and I read them over.

“These are fine, but let’s wait until after the Board meeting. I don’t want them to feel we went to the Press before they knew. Nobody has called, have they?”

“Not so far.”

“Good. Now, the important question - what are we missing?” I asked.

“Besides a hit contract on Noel Spurgeon?” Elyse asked. “Nothing.”

“Speaking of hit contracts, Deborah, what happened with Eve’s pistol?”

“The FBI has it. Oh, and before I forget, Eve’s dad was here after you went to talk to your sister. He went to the courthouse to meet with Grace and Melanie. I told him you were covering all the expenses.”

I nodded, “Thanks. This is, if you will, my responsibility, so it’s the right thing to do. What else? I mean besides putting a hit on Noel Spurgeon?”

“Lisa Glass?” Elyse asked.

“It’s possible she’s free so that she can lead the FBI to Noel, but I can’t see ANY way that makes sense. Alec is treating her like the Prodigal Daughter. He killed the fatted calf and everything. Wendy is of a different mind, but Lisa has more or less ignored her since she was twelve or thirteen, as Alec tells it. Why risk going back to prison forever? And if she WAS going to do that, why not get out of the country before the deadline?”

“Do we know anything about how he did it?” Kimmy asked.

“Nothing I can share,” I replied. “Sorry.”

“Do you think they’ll get out today?”

“Melanie seemed reasonably confident about Eve, but less so about Samantha. I’d guess the government wants them in the pokey to pressure them, and me, but they really won’t be able to delay. Melanie said she’ll waive the evidentiary hearings if necessary.”

“You will need to keep Eve on administrative leave until this is resolved,” Deborah said. “You can’t do anything else.”

“PAID administrative leave,” I replied. “Make it happen, Elyse.”

“Will do.”

“What do you plan to tell the Board?” Deborah asked.

“The truth,” I said. “My dad was the one who suggested that this was about pressuring me, but I don’t have anything to give to the government. I have a strong suspicion that the case against Samantha and Eve will magically disappear once they make bail.”

“What makes you say that?” Charlie asked.

“Let me take that, Steve,” Deborah said. “The government miscalculated. They believed they could intimidate Steve, which was obviously a mistake. But how did they make THAT mistake when they’ve known for years that tactic would never work? I’m going to actually posit a different theory from the one Steve gave earlier, but one I think he believes now. I’m quite sure that Agents Stone and O’Toole are in trouble, as he suggested, but I don’t believe they threw Steve under the bus. What happened instead was that other agents, completely unfamiliar with Steve, disregarded what Agent Stone and O’Toole wrote and said about him.

“I suspect that it was Agent Cavanaugh who made the decision to try intimidation, not Agent Johnson. Remember, Agent Johnson is the one who had read Steve’s file and had to remind Agent Cavanaugh that Steve cooperated, ‘on his own terms’. Piecing things together, and thinking through everything that’s happened, I’d say Agent Johnson goes back to the AIC and tells him this was a fool’s errand. The AIC calls the US Attorney and it all goes away by the end of the day, or tomorrow at the latest. I think the pieces all fit.”

“Seriously?” Elyse asked.

“Seriously. If Steve is right about the warrant application, and I think he is, they’re going to want to bury this so deep nobody will know it ever happened.”

“What about the press releases?” I asked. “And the phone calls I made?”

“The former is easy. Don’t send them. If it gets out, the Press will call the US Attorney who will tell them it was a misunderstanding which has been cleared up, or some such thing. You know, they weren’t ACTUALLY arrested but came in for questioning. And think about it - where was the ‘perp walk’?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.