Bowl of Soup Day Five - Cover

Bowl of Soup Day Five

by MysteryWriter

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Drama Story: John tries to adjust to life on the outside

Tags: Ma/Fa  

Rosedale MS 38769

John and Lucy Allen

I awoke after four days of struggling with the new me. The free me hated most things about where I lived. The tiny kitchen was a good thing. When I took my exercise, the traffic outside was a pain. I couldn’t get used to the cars speeding by.

The distances between the studio apartment building, and other places I needed to go was pretty far. I was in good shape, but it was still quite a distance to the nearest grocery store. Especially with a couple of grocery bags to lug home.

The idea of getting a car was scary as hell. I know most cons dream of driving places, but I didn’t. I knew that at almost fifty years old, I was too old to be think of any drastic changes. Those kinds of changes were the second greatest reasons ex-cons couldn’t make it on the outside. The greatest reasons were the old habit that die hard. I had never been a drug user and I had no criminal friends, so the first reason wasn’t an issue.

I decided that learning to cope with the changes was going to be my enemy. The way to handle it was to go slowly. I had thought that every one of those four previous days. I decided that I needed an easier way to get to the stores. It was twenty miles to the Walmart store where Lucy shopped, so that was my goal.

I did my internet research and learned that I needed a drivers license even for a small gasoline scooter. So I had started to study the laws necessary for me to get a license. For the last two days I had studied it three times each day.

“Lucy, I’m afraid I need your help again. Do you by chance have mama’s box of old papers. I need my birth certificate or an old driver’s license. I also need to take the divers license test. So how about tomorrow we take a drive to the DMV office in Cleveland.

It’s not to far from the Walmart Super Store. I can take the written test, then go grocery shopping,” I suggested. “I mean if you have time while the your kid is in school.”

“Of course, I can pick you up at 9AM at your place, and I’ll bring whatever mom kept,” she said.

“I’ll be waiting on the front porch at nine,” I said. “Lucy thanks hon.”

“Hey for a free meal, I don’t mind at all.” she said.

“Good,” I said.

I spent the rest of the day struggling with my demons. It was hard, but the feeling that I was moving ahead helped. Whether the direction was right or wrong only time would tell.

On the fifth day I awoke with the sun. I had four hours to kill so I watched TV shows on Nexflix as I drank coffee. It was mind numbing but at least I wasn’t going crazy, I decided.

While I waited for Lucy outside, I reviewed my options again. If everything had been closer I wouldn’t be going to the DMV. I would just buy a bike at Walmart. I wouldn’t have needed a driver’s license to ride a Bicycle. But that would mean riding it twenty miles one way to buy a coffee pot or a pack of underwear. Not just that, but it meant a lot of time spent in traffic, I just wasn’t up to that. So I pressed Lucy into service.

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.