The Return of Thomas Grey - Cover

The Return of Thomas Grey

Copyright© 2017 by Argon

Chapter 17: Problems and Solutions

Historical Story: Chapter 17: Problems and Solutions - When 16 year-old Midshipman Thomas Grey goes to sea in the 18-gun sloop Wolverine in February 1806, he cannot know how much his life and family will change until he can finally return to his Surrey home. A story in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic   Historical   Military   War   Interracial  

November, 1812

After a quick repast, Thomas had a horse saddled for himself and set out to visit one of the tenants, one George Hanson, who worked a 60-acre parcel of land towards Horsley with his son. Hanson had been boatswain in Cormorant, and Thomas’s father had given him a tenancy when the old ship was broken up in ‘04. Hanson had taught the young Thomas seamanship, and of all the tenants he could be trusted the most.

The ride was two miles over the small lanes of the different estates, and Thomas found the man at the stables, helping a birthing cow together with three of his farmhands. Thomas waited patiently for the bloody work to be finished, but finally two hands were rubbing the newborn calf dry with fresh straw, and George Hanson washed the blood and grime off his hands.

“Welcome back, Sir!” he greeted his landlord. “My most sincere condolences! ‘Twas a terrible day, and when I heard about the accident, I couldn’t believe it. Still can’t, Sir.”

“Thank you, Mr. Hanson,” Thomas replied. Hanson might be his tenant, but he was also a warrant officer. “I’ve been away for quite some time, and I need somebody I can trust.”

Hanson stood taller. “Then you’ve come to the right man, Sir! I’d do anything for a Grey! We’re all right proud of you here! A post-captain, and only twenty and three! Pray, Sir, ask and I’ll do it.”

Thomas smiled. “I knew that I could rely on your loyalty, Mr. Hanson. The thing is, I’ve heard some disturbing things about the way some of the tenants have treated the people acting for me, namely my cousin and Mr. Chalk.”

Hanson nodded grimly. “You mean that no-good lout, Jenkins, Sir.”

“Yes, his name was mentioned. He was disrespectful to my cousin, even insulting.”

“Aye, Sir. And he would’ve gone further but for me and Hawkins giving him a talking-to.”

“It would also seem that he’s unable to pay the rent.”

Hanson snorted in disgust. “Gambled and guzzled his income away, Sir. Too much spirits, not enough work, can make the best farming land a money loser. We’re all doing quite well here on your lands, Sir. Only Jenkins and p’raps Poole are having troubles, but Poole’s wife died this spring, and he’d been having a hard time caring for her all winter. You’re thinking of driving him off the lands, Sir?”

“Not anymore, Mr. Hanson,” Thomas replied calmly. “I’ve decided to terminate his lease for cause.”

“That’s good to hear, Sir. I shouldn’t say it, seeing that one cannot really prove it, but yon tree branch...”

“I’ve seen it. It was rotten, and those trees along the lane haven’t seen a saw or an axe in ten years and more.”

“Yes, Sir. Only, Sir, be careful with the man. He’s as mean as an adder, even when he’s sober, and worse when he’s drunk.”

“I believe I can handle him with your warning, Mr. Hanson. Would you know a good candidate to take over the farm?”

Hanson thought about that. “Oldroyd has three sons. They’re all fine young lads and good workers. Either of the younger two would do, Sir.”

“One last thing, Mr. Hanson. Do you know Mr. Conway, Sir Joseph’s old caretaker, or have you heard about him?”

“If you’re thinking of having a caretaker whilst you’re at sea, Sir, he’d be the best you can find. Sir Joseph’s tenants never complained about him, and Sir Joseph drew plenty of rents from his estate. The new owner has different ideas, but he’s also willing to spend some money, whilst Sir Joseph never was one to have work done if he could help it.”

“Very well, Mr. Hanson. I thank you for your honest advice and opinions. I shall visit again before I leave for the Mediterranean.”

“I was glad to help out, Sir, and if your cousin needs help, she can count on me and my family.”

“That is good to know, Mr. Hanson. I wish you a good day!”

Mounting his horse, Thomas returned to the manor house with more information gleaned and his resolve strengthened. Arriving, he found a coach waiting at the front. Curiously, he entered and found himself face to face with his benefactor, Mr. Egerton. Egerton’s round face showed sorrow.

“My dear Captain, I came here as soon as I heard the rumours of your return. Words fail me to convey the deep sorrow I felt over your parents’ untimely passing!”

Thomas whipped his brain to answer appropriately.

“I thank you from my heart, Mr. Egerton. I know that you and my dear father were good friends and allies.”

“Were we ever! Your cousin informed me that your return is only temporary?”

“Yes, indeed. I have not been supplanted as captain of HMS Dido, and I must return as soon as my affairs are settled properly.”

“Of course. The country needs its best captains for the final struggle against the Corsican tyrant.”

“I planned to have a cup of tea. Would you care to join me, Mr. Egerton?”

“I’d be delighted, my dear Captain,” Egerton answered.

Thomas pulled a bell rope, and both maidservants showed.

“Tea in the study, please,” Thomas instructed them before leading his visitor into his father’s favourite room. Inside, Mirabel must have had the room cleaned and cleared, for never did Theodore Grey put away the books he was reading. They piled up on the three desks until he’d have the maids put them back into the shelves. Now the desks were empty, their varnished tops clean and polished.

Thomas offered the larger chair to his visitor and then sat himself.

“I had been hoping that your return would be permanent, Captain,” Egerton sighed, mopping his forehead with a spotless white handkerchief. “You see, my own health has been deteriorating in the last years. I had been hoping for your father to step in for me at the next general election, but his untimely demise prevented that.”

“I had no knowledge of such deliberations,” Thomas said, being quite surprised over this turn.

“Yes, I asked your father for discretion in the matter. Be that as it may, I had hoped for your return to be permanent so that I may groom you as my successor.”

To say Thomas was flabbergasted would have been woefully inadequate.

“Mr. Egerton, I am far too young for such an important task!”

“Nonsense! The Navy finds you mature enough to captain a frigate. Believe me, the weight of responsibility Parliament bears is great, but it is shouldered by many. A single wrong decision on your part by contrast can leave England open to invasion and defeat!”

Thomas blushed. “You surely ascribe too much importance to a single nine-pounder frigate.”

Egerton shook his head. “In a single action, you robbed the French of over £100,000 in bullion. That, Sir, was a heavy blow for Bonaparte.”

“It was the private loot of a general.”

“Yet, it would have been spent in France and buoyed the French economy. Now it will buoy our economy by the same amount, doubling its effect. That fellow, Surcouf, when he captured the Kent East Indiaman, he ruined quite a number of underwriters in the City of London, and that loss was considerably smaller than your own catch. Economy puts our ships to sea, economy has our guns cast, and economy puts food into our sailor’s bellies. Never underestimate the impact of economy.”

The older man had become very urgent and passionate. Thomas thought it best to agree with him.

“I can see your arguments, Mr. Egerton. As I was telling my cousin this morning, I still feel like Master Grey when I am here.”

“I’ll wager that Miss Goodwin disabused you of this notion. She has a good head, among other virtues. My dear Captain, the news of your arrival in town spread like a wildfire. You are a hero to the townspeople. Ever since Captain Lake left Guildford for his Irish possessions, we’ve not had a hero. I believe if you were to stand for election against me, I would lose.”

“That would be a reason not to stand for election and an argument against the current rules of suffrage,” Thomas answered easily although he felt some discomfort over being placed on a pedestal.

Egerton made a dismissive motion with his hand.

“All I am asking of you is that you become aware of your own importance. I suppose I shall have to stand in for another term, but I ask you urgently that once you’ll return here for good, you will consider serving our borough in the Commons.”

“As you must be aware, even with the recent developments in Russia, Boney is far from being beaten. I may still be commanding ships in five years’ time. And who knows how the war with America will develop? Their privateers have been known to cause us headaches.”

“Of course, Captain. That is understood. Yet, the war may well be over next year, or in two years. I would only ask you to consider it.”

“I will, of course.”

“Thank you, Captain. Now, is there a way for me to help you with your affairs?”

Thomas shrugged. “I have been able to identify a likely candidate for the caretaker position for my estate, a Mr. Conway. He used to be...”

“I know of Mr. Conway. Sir Joseph thought the world of him. He also enjoys a reputation of honesty.”

“Excellent. I will certainly try to retain Mr. Conway. I would like some additional advice though. I shall terminate a tenant’s lease. The man’s been disrespectful to my representative and downright insulting to my cousin. Now, should I do this in person, or have the future caretaker do it? I can see arguments for both approaches.”

Egerton thought briefly. “Since the reasons are his disrespect for your family, I believe it best to handle this in person, Captain. Given your experience in handling similar matters in your ships, you should also be best prepared to deal with the man should things take a turn towards violence. Mr. Conway is more of an administrator, not so much a taskmaster.”

Thomas nodded. “This actually fits my own preference, Mr. Egerton. Who serves as the Justice of the Peace these days?”

“It is still Mr. Cobb of Upton House, and he runs a fine bench. Why?”

“Jenkins may file a grievance.”

“Oh, it’s Jenkins? Never mind the Justice then. The lout was facing the bench thrice already for offences, the last time for hitting a constable. He received a dozen lashes with the cat and had to pay a hefty fine if I remember the case correctly.”

“That is good to know, Mr. Egerton. Perhaps I may tempt you and Mrs. Egerton to join my table at dinner one of the next days?”

Mr. Egerton took the hint.

“That would be very welcome, Captain, but are you quite certain that we shall not inconvenience you?”

“Hosting my father’s friends will never be inconvenient, Mr. Egerton,” Thomas assured the man.

“Then, if there is nothing more to discuss, I shall take my leave, Captain. We have no commitments in the next week or so, so you can feel free to send us a billet any time.”

“I was thinking of inviting Mr. Thompson too, if that is agreeable to you? He is the largest landowner around here, and I should meet him.”

“Positively, my dear Captain. I saw him a few times already. Very learned man and with surprising ideas! Be entertaining to have him join.”

“Then we are committed. Thank you for visiting, Mr. Egerton, and I shall give your suggestions my thought.”

“I felt the urgent need to see you, Captain. Kindly give my regards to your cousin! She has been a tower of strength throughout that sad affair. Many people around here questioned your poor father’s decision to treat her as family. I am not one of those. Her conduct reflects the fine people who raised her.”

More politeness ensued until Mr. Egerton climbed into his carriage and left Thomas standing on the front steps. Mirabel had joined him there to see off their visitors.

“He spoke about his plans for you?” she asked.

Thomas regarded her with a smile. “Did you listen in?”

She shook her head. “He has been dropping hints for a few months now, ever since your posting in the Gazette. Are you considering?”

“Not now, not if it means giving up my ship. In the future ... who knows? Let’s see Boney beaten first. That done, I may feel bored enough to enter the Commons.”

Mirabel nodded. “I can see why you cannot give up your ship. Father told me how hard it was for him, and how much he regretted it at times.”

“Yes, he hinted at that to me. Another thing, Mirabel – I should host a small dinner here. Nothing big or gaudy. Just a few people I should meet before I return to the Mediterranean. Do we have enough staff for that?”

“How many guests?”

“I was thinking of Mr. and Mrs. Egerton, Mr. Thompson ... is he married?”

“He’s a bachelor, but he’s only twenty and five, and he’ll have the pick of the flock given his wealth.”

“So Mr. Thompson alone. I would like to include Mr. and Mrs. Cobb as well. As the Justice he is an important man. Anybody else you’d recommend inviting?”

Mirabel gave him a sad smile. “Mrs. Dolley. You know she was widowed last year? It’ll even the table and she is a nice person, much nicer than her late husband.”

“A friend?”

“I would not go that far, but she treats me as an equal.”

“You are not trying to set me up with her, are you?”

“Not you, Thomas,” Mirabel answered with a hint of a smile.

“Ah, Mr. Thompson! Well, far be it from me to stand in the way. Mrs. Dolley it is then. That makes us eight, a perfect number. Now, can Cook handle this with the maids’ help?”

“I don’t see why not. If need be, I can...”

“No, you cannot,” Thomas said firmly. “You will be my hostess.”

“You want that?”

Thomas shrugged. “You know my stance. Besides, Mr. Egerton spoke very favourably of you. Have you met Mr. Thompson?”

“Only once whilst in town with ... with Mother. He is a learned man, no doubt, and very civil if a bit shy. Mrs. Dolley will like that in him seeing that her late husband was such a brash person.”

“Or perhaps she is the type who enjoys overbearing men,” Thomas replied. “Be that as it may, let us fix a day and then write the invitations. I must invite Mr. Chalk and Mr. Conway too, and then I shall deal with Jenkins.”

“He’ll blame me,” Mirabel said apprehensively. “He is known for being quite violent when drunk.”

“So I have heard. I shall deal with him, never worry. I deal with worse rascals almost daily.”

“But you’ll be gone, Thomas, and there’s only Patterson here, and he’s getting on in years.”

Thomas nodded. “I was thinking of hiring extra staff, also for that reason. Let us wait until I have seen Jenkins. I have no measure of the man yet. Then I can decide what to do.”


Mr. Lucius Chalk arrived shortly after Thomas left the breakfast table, and as Mirabel had predicted, clearly dressed in his finest. Thomas invited him into the study and had tea served whilst going through the preliminaries.

Mr. Chalk had come with all the relevant documents, the listed incomes, the itemised assets, and various receipts and expenditures. Thomas went over these with diligence and then signed his name where needed. He looked at the solicitor then.

“I must thank you, Mr. Chalk, for the excellent service you rendered to us.”

“Your father, Sir, was one of my oldest clients. I feel the obligation to look after his interest even beyond his passing.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.