In Olden Days - Cover

In Olden Days

Copyright© 2020 by Rolf

Chapter 1

Weren’t many cannon around yet, but if there were they well may have been on the right, left and dab smack up the middle. This was not the staid European countryside, yet. What is was however was three armies each vying for control of the region by force and occupying Gosh and the Castle/Fort nestled by the only mountain pass in miles around.

Argent had taken and held it for 22 years. He was a legend. Those who would dream of repeating that feat also remembered that legend. As in all legends they seem to grow and become so grand that the retelling of the story dwarfs human history.

Another facet of legends is when to hero dies or is defeated what was accomplished fades into a memory and some care not about memories. That was the case here. Argent was dead. He had died in his bed and soon what he had would become the spoils of a new victor, good or evil no one knew.

How it began!

As Argent lay dying it was his own people that brought about what happens next. Each local Lord seemed to have a spy and or information source well placed with Argent’s castle. In a matter of days his forthcoming doom was reported and, no not well wishers but throne seekers appeared with their armies to now claim what would soon remain.

Back then the land was called Livonia. Russia, Germany, Poland and what was to become Sweden all wanted the land. I guess in effect these battles, fore there were many really were between four or more armies. Understand, the failure of the Third Crusade pretty much ended the lusts for wealth and conquests of many now. Livonia and its vast territories became the new focus, this time without regard to religion since Livonia had adopted the Catholic faith.

Christian now killed, raped and plundered Christian for no other purpose than land, greed, and power.

Twenty plus years ago the city and castle had been captured with less than 50 troops, five of them mounted Knights. Today less than 10 protected the fort with the city guard made up of citizen militia, peasants if you will. The armies attempting the war were not much better. Conscripts, old men and tired or wounded Crusaders made up the bulk of such claimants.

Proper warfare required modern arms and expensive weapons. Not great fees or nobles who were able or willing to pay for things, they had done their share of that for the Crusades.

Sticks, stones, shovels and even swords did not fare well against castle fortifications, these so-called wars dragged on. None were ‘professional’ soldiers. Crops had to be planted, seen to from time to time then harvested. As far as winter, well let’s just say for 4 or 5 months each year nothing was done.

It is perhaps difficult for us to understand how a war might be fought ‘when everyone had little time to spare’. That’s just the way it was. One must remember that those people only fought for what was felt to be ‘easy pickings’. They had nothing so dreams, rumors, promises of some things they did not have stirred them to action.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.