Zombie Valentine's Day

by Gldngolfer

Copyright© 2016 by Gldngolfer

Horror Story: Zombies and Valentine's Day don't mix

Tags: Ma/Fa   Post Apocalypse   Zombies  

After 5 years of fighting and surviving the apocalypse, there were only two people left in our area.

There were still plenty of walking dead, but only one man and one woman with a heart beat remained. Not surprisingly it was a husband and wife that refused to leave their home when all others left for what was rumored as a safe haven.

Dennis and Sandy did not believe the rumors that the military was able to create an area free of the undead. Instead they thought it best to remain where they were while they eked out their own survival the way they thought best.

A vow was made between them that if one was taken, then the other would take their own life so they would remain together forever. Body to body, soul to soul for eternity. Or at least until the body rotted completely, then what would they care, their souls were in a better place anyway.

It had been a hard winter in Ohio unable to hunt for anything other than the occasional squirrel. Searching abandoned homes provided little as most have already been raided by those leaving for the rumored safe haven.

A few cans of food barely sustained them throughout the coldest of days, but their tenacity and love made up for the difference.

On this latest search of an outlying home, Dennis discovered a solar powered clock with a calendar display. Survival had taken total control over their lives but when he read the calendar showing it was Valentine's Day, an old memory came back to him.

It was Valentine's Day. As mentioned five years before when the world went to shit. Dennis and Sandy decided to take an overnight trip to a bed and breakfast not far from home. They wanted to leave everything behind. Cell phones, lap tops, etc. Just the two of them not being distracted by the world. This day was just for them.

As they were getting ready to leave they were walking around the house turning off lights and small appliances. The kitchen radio was the last device playing love songs from a station Sandy had tuned in. Steps away from the radio, they station stopped playing songs to start an emergency broadcast. Sandy wanted to listen but Dennis pulled her out of the house before the complete message could be heard. Reports of crazed people attacking others...

Dennis would listen to no more. His mind was on the night he was going to spend with his wife and the look in his eyes would accept nothing less. Sandy knew that look! It was a look beyond pure love. It also had a tremendous amount of lust raging in them. Her body warmed when he looked at her like that. With the fire within her lit, she led the way to the car dragging him along every step of the way not wanting to waste a moment of love.

They drove to the B&B with the car radio off lost in the anticipated night filled with love celebrating years of blissful marriage. The arrangements were made in advance so all that needed done was for Dennis and Sandy to walk in the room and enjoy the ambiance. And of course a night of love.

The sun shined through the windows waking them both up. They were still holding each other tightly each with smiles on their faces. Dennis looked at his watch wondering why the ordered breakfast in bed wasn't delivered.

He untangled himself from his beautiful wife so he could look outside to see if the B&B operators were on their way. He did see some people moving around but thought they were drunk. He figured they just celebrated a little too much. To each their own.

Sandy was watching her husband smiling thinking herself lucky for having such a good man. She thought after all theses years he still a great catch and he still has one set of killer buns! After she told her husband to come back to her for her kind of breakfast in bed, he forgot all about the crazies stumbling around outside.

A few hours later their stomachs were screaming for food. After getting dressed they walked to the car parked a few yards away from the B&B door. Both heard noises that sounded like sirens and people screaming.

Dennis immediately became alarmed and pulled his pistol from his hip holster. Seconds later a couple of people stumbled from around a few parked cars. They didn't look right. Dennis seen blood covering portions of their bodies and what looked like pieces of meat hanging from their mouths.

He pulled Sandy to his back putting himself between the people and Sandy. Making their way closer to the passenger side of their car allowed them to see past the bloodied people to a spot past a nearby tree. Sandy saw it first causing her to scream. On the ground behind the tree was a woman's body torn to shreds. With it was two more people with faces buried in it chewing on the flesh.

Only seconds past when the shock wore off and Dennis realized the one walking toward them was too close for comfort. Instinctively he raised the gun in his hand and fired hitting the individual center mass, an obvious shot in the heart. However the person kept walking toward them getting closer with every step. Its eyes were a strange color, almost blood red. A second shot rang out this time he placed the bullet their head, stopping their advance. The sound of the shots caught the attention of the two eating the woman on the ground. They raised up and started toward Dennis and Sandy chewing what remained of the woman in their mouths. They too had blood colored eyes.

Dennis knew something terrible on a cosmic scale had happened. Something that made people to become cannibals. But his first concern was getting Sandy to a safe location. She was still in shock from what had transpired in the last few seconds unable to move. Forcing her into the passenger seat Dennis ran around to the driver's side just in time to keep from being attacked by one of the crazed people with blood eyes.

After they made it to the road, Sandy turned on the radio and immediately found that all the stations were issuing emergency messages about people infected with an unknown disease killing them. But would soon rise again with an insatiable taste for living flesh. Zombies!

He was brought back to the present when he felt Sandy's hand on his shoulder. As he looked in her eyes he could tell the same thoughts were within her as she also noticed the calendar date.

The one topic not spoken out loud between them for some time was what happened to their children. Both seen the torment in each others eyes, but neither could bring themselves to speak the words. Not for the past few years and not now. The last time they hugged their girls was earlier that fateful Valentine's Day. The girls knew their parents were going away for the night so they were going to spend time together over at Ashley's house.

It took hours to make it back to home. It was total chaos with indescribable carnage following them the entire way. All the major roads were impassable so they were forced to take back roads It was late night before they made it home. The entire trip Sandy repeatedly called the girls cell phones trying to make sure they were OK. They never made contact. All that was found in the house was a hurried mess of clothes thrown from closets a and note telling them they were being evacuated by the military to a safe place, but not known where they were actually going.

The neighborhood was quiet. Not even a zombie was seen. Dennis had the foresight for him and Sandy to start raiding homes for food, weapons and anything else they might need. He knew they needed to hold up and sleep the night and in the morning if able they would venture out in the car.

Multiple attempts to drive away in search of the girls were unsuccessful. For some reason five miles out the dead were walking in high numbers forcing them to retreat. Years later a few people made their way into the neighborhood, but those knew nothing except for rumor and conjecture.

Many times throughout the years, the couple found each other crying quietly with worry for their girls. Today was no different. Five years and no word about ... really anything except for the few who stuck together finally abandoning the area for the fabled safe haven.

Telling her husband it was time to go, they gathered what canned food they found and headed back out the front door. Each carried one bag of food in one hand and their weapon in the other.

Sandy has become and excellent fighter preferring the quiet protection of a cross bow when she had to stop a zombie attack while Dennis primarily used a short sword. Each only using firearms when absolutely necessary because the report from the weapon caught the attention of the dead.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.