The Train Even - Cover

The Train Even

by Deenara2000

Copyright© 2014 by Deenara2000

Suspense Story: It's a Question of what happens when a group of people meet at a train station in the middle of n where.

Tags: Fiction  

Betty was really tired of waiting for the train. She had been waiting all day as her father dropped her off in the early morning to go to her aunt's in Canada. She at least had a place to stay out of the wind, as next to the platform was an old passenger coach. The coach had a few seats that weren't in too bad of condition and the windows were all there which kept the wind out.

Betty Salts was an average young 14 year old that was interested in becoming a teacher. That however was before things happen and now she was being sent away.

It was noon before two women dressed to travel arrived. Then two large militarily dressed men walked onto the platform and into the shelter of the coach. One of the men acted strange and Betty remembered that he was a neighbor who lived just a few streets over.

"Hello Mr. Cobbs. How are you and where are you going?"

"Hello Ms. Betty. Well I've been better. The Navy has called and I have to go to Sea for a while. Where are you off too?" asked Gorden Cobbs.

"I'm being sent to my aunt in Canada. I don't want to go but..." Betty looked away trying not to look ashamed.

"What's wrong, Ms. Betty?" asked Gorden when he saw the look on the girl's face.

"I ... There was an incident at school. Some boys tried ... A friend of mine, Mark Hamptin saw what was happening because he heard me scream. He ... he came to help me and tried to stop what was clearly going to be something bad. The boys that were trying to hurt me beat Mark really badly.

"When the dust settled down and the boys tried to say I started everything by flirting and teasing. Two of my other friends came in and told how the boys all but pulled me to where the fight was and were stopped by another set of boys. They ran to Mrs. Belmont to get help.

"The authorities decided to believe Mary because she was known to never tell lies and also was the daughter of the superintendent. My father decided it would be a good idea for me to be out of the area for a while. Mr. Redrickson's boy is facing some time in jail and isn't very happy. Father thinks he may try to hurt us. So I'm going to his sister's. There's an all-girls school in the town she lives near."

"That's just awful! Is the boy that helped you going to be ok?" exclaimed Mrs. Phelps

"They had to operate to fix his arm and stop some bleeding inside but he'll be ok. I hope after a year or so I can come home and Mark will still like me. I just feel so bad he got hurt helping me."

"He would be a fool to be mad at you," stated Gorden

"He's right dear," interrupted Mrs. Phelps. "That boy is a hero. I've known only a few like that and far too many like those others. He'll be writing you before you do."

"Thank you Mrs. Phelps. And thank you, Mr. Cobbs. What you have both said helps me feel much better."

"Do any of you know when the train is to be here?" said the man next to Mr. Cobbs.

"My ticket says 10 o'clock. My father dropped me off about two hours after sun rise. We were told to be here well before the 10 o'clock hour. But that time has come and gone. As it is, it's too late to call my father," replied Betty.

"Mable's and mine are for 5 o'clock," replied Mrs. Phelps.

"Well that sounds a bit strange. Mr. Cobbs and mine are for 4 o'clock," replied the man and looked to his pocket watch. "It's just passed 3 o'clock now."

"I was with my father when he got the ticket. The man he got it from told us or me rather, that I was to wait here in the small coach. I've seen five trains go by already. Several had passenger cars but not one even slowed down," stated Betty.

"I was told the same," replied Mrs. Phelps with vexation. "If the train doesn't stop before dark, I will be very happy to take you home with me. I'll call your home and your father can get you in the morning."

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.