Skip to My Lou - Cover

Skip to My Lou

Copyright© 2013 by Pappy

Chapter 1

Kansas was still a wild place. Oklahoma was opening up the Indian Territory near Tulsa and land was free for the taking, or so it was said. I knew there was no such thing as a 'free' lunch.

Speaking of lunch it was about that time and I was getting hungry. One or two more days here and it looked like I would be moving on.

It used to be called 'bleeding' Kansas but since them Jayhawkers and Red legs done worked things out, it was mighty peaceful. In relative terms. Deciding on steak, eggs and fresh biscuits with honey and jam; I had told the waitress to bring coffee and keep on coming. Then had told her to call me 'Skip' if she needed help. She would call all right, it was just not what I had expected.

Skip or whatever my name was that day never liked a town. They were just to complicated a place. I was a bit 'old Fashioned', though but wore a modern double rig, it was a cross shoulder draw, great if you were on a horse or had your back turned. I also had switched to the new cartridges using smokeless powder. Not only could one see better, the shots were more accurate and powerful.

It meant a lot. It was, after all, my way of making a living. I had been a hired gun for several years already. I was 19 and had learned the hard way that life was what you made it. If someone tried to take something from you there were only two choices, walk away or kill the bastard or bastards if there were more than one. It was the same choices I had demanded my 'clients' to understand and accept.

Out where I loved it the best, open range, it was still kill or be killed. Many a rancher paid the $100 per month I demanded, plus whatever I got from the men killed. It was never funny but, I remembered, the fee was usually a pittance when compared to the rewards, gold on them or monies gotten from selling off their horses and gear. Damn, a few of those ranchers also had some cute wives and daughters who were mighty appreciative of some outside help now and then.

I still hadn't decided to head East, South or out West. Money was not really the issue for a while. I had over $23,600 saved up, a fortune in those times and could last a man, hell a family, a lifetime. I did not want to even think of my family. They didn't exist as far as I felt.

Alice brought me some more hot coffee and biscuits. She came closer as she poured. She whispered. "Skip, are you any good with those or are they just show?"

I assumed she meant the guns since she referred to 'those' and I only had 1 other gun.

"Alice you never know! But I make my living with those things and there are some cuties out there who think my other gun is pretty good too. Why?"

"Well Skip, see that girl over there! Her Paw was killed by one of those 'bastards' standing over her. They all three said he was cheating, called him out and shot him like a dog. I've known Hank a lot of years and I have never seen him cheat anyone. Now those Yahoos are trying to get the ranch, saying he lost it to them. If I know trouble, that's not all they want to get from her, if you get my drift. She is a nice girl and everyone in town is afraid of those three. Can you help her?"

"Go over to her and tell her to call my name out, real loud and when I stand up get her and yourself out of here. Let me eat my dinner in peace after it's over?"

Alice, Bless her heart went over asked the gents if they wanted more coffee then whispered something to the pretty girl at the table. Alice was still there when, "Skip I need you!" rang out.

On cue, I stood up, dropped my napkin and let the chair fall back.

"Hell Sis, I hadn't finished my meal yet. There only three of them; just kill em them ... Hey! These ain't the 'bushwhackers' that shot Paw are they?"

Alice did her job, the three men rose and came forward. One of the men saw my rig and you could plainly hear him say. "Jeb, that ain't the rig of a farmer. Them's Colt 45's and he has two of them."

I'm not sure why that seemed important to him. Jeb though never seemed to understand that two new Colts and the rig cost more than a farmer made in a year. He should have listened to his friend, instead. "Now looky here, your Paw done lost his ranch to us. I've got the papers right here." As he turned as though reaching for something.

He had two slugs in him before he turned all the way.

The other two, they had caused me untold grief too, my food and coffee was getting cold. I shot the other two out of spite. They had quite a bit of money on them. I took out a Eagle tossed it to the barkeep and said to give it to whoever cleaned this mess up. I threw another Eagle to him adding that I wanted their horses, tack and anything in their rooms here in 5 minutes. "You don't want to make me angry, not today after having one meal interrupted."

Between the three they had over $500, mostly in gold. There was no deed to a ranch and there might be more gold in their rooms.

Dear Alice came back in, leading a sobbing girl behind her. "Is it over?" She asked.

"Hell no I said, My food got cold and so did the coffee! Can you set that filly down and rustle both of us some more of that steak and biscuits.?"

That got me a big smile from Alice and I thought of a couple ways she might want to thank me some.

"What's your name Sis", looking into the girls face.

She was feisty, I had to say. "Some brother you are, not remembering your Sis's name. If Paw were still alive he'd..." She broke out in tears. I had seen it a few times. experienced it myself.

"Your all alone now. huh."

She nodded. I pushed the bag of coins over to her hands.

"You left this at that table, thought you might need it."

She looked at me with those eyes, you know the kind, like the kind all girls over ten can make to get a guy to do whatever they want. Hell I bet they teach that to five year olds even.

It got better, a boy came charging in carrying three saddle bags, one he was dragging in. "Mister the horses are outside, I'll get the saddles and stuff next. This is all they had in their rooms, the hotel man is bringing in some rifles here, I could not carry them too. Do I still get the $10?"

"Son, you don't get the Eagle, ... you get a double Eagle, that was quick work. Now get the rest."

"Sis, what Is your name? Mans gotta know his Sis's name I spect."

"Its Mandy. follow me home, I gotta thank you proper like for saving me and all this", she thumped the bag of coins.

"Honey how old are you?"

"Old enough! you? ... or do you only know how to use the guns on your chest, not the one in your pants?"

"Well I'll be! The little lady has some spunk in her. Alice, dear Alice came back with a tray of food, laid it all out and bent down and gave me a kiss.

"She's gonna need some help around the ranch. At least until she can find a man, a good man, who will protect this girl."

Now why was Mandy looking at me and smiling. I was not a good man. Still I thought, Mandy huh, and she was sharp as well as pretty. Just maybe I could stick around and help her out with a few things.

The boy ran back in. "What's you name boy?"

"Jack, Sir!"

"Where do you live Jack Sir?"

"Jack, Sir! I usually do some work in the stables and he lets me sleep inside, at least in the winter he does."

Well Jack Sir, I think Mandy needs some help around her ranch. You get room and board plus 2 bits a day. If your good, I'll see to it you can make more. What do you say Jack Sir?"

"Just Jack Sir and I say, when do we leave?"

I said, "Why didn't you say your name was 'Just Jack Sir?' That's a funny name!"

He gave me a shrug then a look. He seemed to be 9 or 10, or there abouts.

"Get on one of them new horses and follow us to the ranch."

I asked if Mandy had a horse here, Yes she did and had Just Jack Sir bring hers and mine and saddle 'em up. When I started to the door the saddle bag the boy had brought was extremely heavy. I had a feeling things were going to get better, for everybody.

There were some folks thinking that the horses, rifles and gear was now free for the taking. Just Jack Sir was standing over everything, trying to do a man's job. He was holding a rifle in his hand.

I was a few feet behind him, motioned Mandy back inside, then readied for some fun. None of those fools even had a gun. They were trying to bluff the kid into running or crying. Big men I thought, four men against a 9 year old kid. Maybe they needed a few more. I heard.

"You all better get away. My boss will be here soon and you ought not make him angry. Them other three goin' to be sleeping in boot hill pretty soon."

I liked this kid. I drew a gun, rotated the cylinder then seemed to count how many shots I would need.

Before I could even put the gun away they were gone.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.