The Accidental Watch. 8th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

The Accidental Watch. 8th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Prologue

ESTATE SILENT AUCTION and SALE
Sat, 9Am until Dark.
One Pinehurst.
Antiques: Ornate Carved English Walnut Head and Footboard bed Circa 1820. Matching Dresser, Paired Chifforobe and Commode cabinets. Pair Gold Rimmed Commodes.
Queen Anne Dining Room Set Circa 1710, 14 chairs. Includes Sideboard, Service, and Commode closet.
Late Baroque” (Queen Anne) Drawing room; complete. Dated 1704 Unknown maker.
Three Suits Armor, with lance, sword, spurs.
Curios: India, China, Japan, America, North and South.
China:
Unique Services for 28, 14, eight and four. Pre 1800.
Odd set of post 1850 high quality china ... no repeating pattern. Service for fifty, includes silver service, cups, drinking glasses and goblets.
Furniture: Assorted, varied, handmade, Pre 1860. English, French, North American. 21 rooms.
Firearms:
Rifles, Muskets, Hand Guns. 351 assorted from Matchlock to .50 cal Barrett. Collection appraised at 1.5 million. Preponderance of Ornate Pennsylvania Flintlocks.Cases and cases of Ammunition, collectables and not so collectable.
Knives: 400 assorted. To be Sold as Set.
Military Vehicles: Unrestored.
Aircraft: Out of Annual. Some, very much out.
Boats: Sail. Scavenger hunt material.
Assorted boxes, bags and locked chests of One Man’s Junk is Another Mans Treasure. (NO KEYS)Stuff: Contents of 4 outbuildings. Too varied to catalogue
FFL Dealer will be on premise for sale of guns.

“Let’s go,” she said.

“Sure,” he said, “It’ll be fun.”

“We might actually buy something,” she laughed.

“Dress up?” he asked.

“The Regency costumes from last year?” She thought.

“You got it,” he grinned. “Will Jamie do your hair?”

“Call, will you? I’ll see if they’re clean enough.” She started rummaging in the chests. He heard her groan. “Oh I hope this still fits ... It DOES!!!”

“Jamie will be here before curtain. He’s bringing Yvette. “ He paused ... hold it ... give her a chance. Rats ... she didn’t bite. “And her makeup case.”

“You know the best people,” she commented.

“Charlatans and con-men all,” he replied.

“Theater people, Dahling, theater people.” She looked down her nose.

“We do get great seats,” he explained.

“Oh, so true.” She looked thoughtful, “Just once, I’d like a box.”

“It’s Free.” He said, “Don’t complain.”

It was fun.

She was the perfect Deb, he was the perfect London Man about Town. They might have been at Almacks.

She wore thin muslin cut extremely low with laughable puffed wisps at her shoulders ... muted but gaily colored ... dancing slippers, silk hose. She blushed ... a lot. She had good reason ... her chest was mostly exposed.

He wore top hat and tails ... unapologeticlly Black. A Brummell to the toes. He was very protective.

They exclaimed over things ... as if they had had them in their homes. All in all, they were a major addition to the sale.

When the auctioneer finally got around to the boats, he explained, “All we have is titles ... the scavenger hunt is YOU FIND THEM.”

Sure they sold ... yeah, Right.

Bidding over, the diminished crowd paid, packed up and left.

At Nine Thirty, the auctioneer approached.

“You bought nothing,” he said.

“No, but we had such fun.”

“I’d say you two added a good million dollars to the sale. I’d like to reward you ... with a blessing ... and a curse.” He laughed.

“You mean like, ‘Good news and Bad news?’” she questioned.

“Yes,” he said. “The good news: you can have everything that’s left.”

That got a grin ... and a frown...”And?” she asked.

“It’s got to be gone in a week ... here’s the keys.” He walked off.

What’s left was a disaster.

“You know such interesting people,” she said, prompting Edmond with her hand.

“Theater people ... I know theater people ... PROPS!!” he exclaimed. “You are so smart.”

“Grab that chest,” she commanded. It was the only one unsold.

“Yes ma’am. FUCK ... that’s heavy!” Edmond exclaimed.

“I wonder what’s in it?” she asked.

“I’ll be right back, there should be a dolly in the mens quarters.”

She hollered, as he went down the stairs, “At least they left the electricity on.”

“Pers? Come down here.”

“Persephone, please. I hate Pers, makes me sound like a cat ... Why?”

“Nothing from the basement was sold.”

Persephone tripped lightly down the stairs ... but he caught her.

“Thank you, Ed.” She batted her eyes.

“If you insist on Persephone, I insist on Edmund.”

“It’s so ... stuffy.”

“So is yours.”

They turned and surveyed the cavern. Floor to ceiling was packed with broken junk.

Like Twins they exclaimed, “OH MY GOD!!” They looked at each other. “Theater People!!! All we can find.”

An electric motor started.

“What’s that?”

He forced his way through stacks of magazines and newspapers toward the sound. Against the wall was a series of three inch copper pipes all leading to a tall brass can hooked to a huge motor.

“Imperium CV20000 Commercial Single Phase 230 volt In House Vacuum, Number Two,” he read ... A lightbulb went off in his head...”Someone is in the house!!” Just then he noticed a series of lights ... one was green. “Master BedRoom,” he shouted.

They trotted up the stairs ... he was dragging a dolly. They left the dolly by the trunk and hotfooted it up the stairs ... right turn ... there was a whisper from the closed door.

Edmond threw open the door. The running appliance was sitting on the hardwood floor ... alone.

The room was bare. The adjoining baths were empty.

Scratching his head, Edmond unplugged the hose from the wall ... the vacuum automatically shut down.

“Ed?”

“Seph?”

“I’m frightened ... let’s go home.” She looked at Edmond...”I like Seph ... you can call me that.”

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.