Sparks - Cover

Sparks

Copyright© 2010 by black_coffee

Chapter 15

06:50 Wednesday, July 3, 1991
Sonoma Valley Inn
550 W Second St, Sonoma, CA 95476

Sandy held no expectations for the spa. Lenore filled breakfast with an excited recount of the events of the day before, though she made no mention of the Gunny. Ben and Sandy shared silent amusement and while they went to the counter to fetch bagels and orange juice agreed to keep mention of the Gunny secret.

But the ladies were going to the spa, and Dan and Ben were going to go off and do father-son things, things between the two men which Sandy felt were long overdue. Sandy caught a pleased expression on Kate's face as she watched Ben and Dan talk over the newspaper. Kate noticed Sandy's glance, and blushed when Sandy gave her a conspiratorial wink. Lenore babbled on, having missed the byplay.

"How'd the first day of vineyard-hunting go?" Sandy asked, interrupting Lenore.

Dan got a faraway look in his eye, and mumbled something. Kate shot him a disapproving glance, and answered more clearly. "Well, we're not sure. There are ranches and properties out there. Some are further north, a bit further away from the Bay. We're pretty certain we don't want anything in the Central Valley, it's an awful lot like Texas. The northern coastal hills and valleys have potential. The difficulty is finding a place that's already got varietals established, and is for sale."

"Why don't you start from green fields, then?" Ben asked.

His dad gave him an odd look. "Son, just how long do you think I have to wait around while vines grow?" Kate tsked, and Dan relented. "'Sides, it'll be a lot bigger investment. We may end up having to do it that way, but if we do, I probably won't be around to taste any decent wine from my own vineyard."

Sandy nodded, as if she understood. "How's the broker working out?" She intended to bring up Barbara Harding, as she was positive the lady had resources Sandy could only dream of. She didn't expect the reaction she received.

"Stuck up, know-it-all. I don't care if he is from San Francisco, he's an Easterner." Dan drew breath, and launched back in. "Prissy, too. I think he's living with an interior designer. Feather merchant if I ever saw one," he finished darkly.

Kate wore a wry expression. "He doesn't really have anything against gays," she assured the faces around the table. "Honey, if we move here, you're going to have to get used to a different attitude." She shook her head, then continued, "But he's right. Neither of us really liked the broker our banker's friend recommended." She glanced around the table again, then lowered her voice and said, "I bet they didn't find someone for us, but found themselves someone they owed a favor to." Dan nodded, clearly unhappy, but unwilling to say more.

Ben smiled at Sandy. "Kate, I know you've only been listening to Lenore with half an ear, but," Lenore squawked in indignation. "We really did meet some very interesting and," she searched for a word, " ... established people yesterday." Lenore subsided as it became clear where Sandy was going.

Sandy dug down in her tiny purse. One of these days, I need to get an address book, and a larger bag. This one's not much better than a wallet. She retrieved the paper Barbara gave her and copied the name and number on the bottom third of the paper, then carefully tore off the piece she'd written. She handed it to Kate, and smiled. "Kate, this is Mrs. Admiral Harold Harding's phone number, her name is Barbara. We'd mentioned why we're here in the Bay Area with you and Dan, and she offered to help find a broker if you didn't like who you've got. I really think you should call her, and set something up with whoever she recommends for Friday." Sandy paused, then gave Ben a half-smile. "We're supposed to go for a boat ride Friday, but knowing these people and their gift for understatement," she pictured the Gunny clearly as she spoke, "It'll be a freaking yacht."

By the sudden far away look on Lenore's face, and the unconscious squaring of Ben's shoulders, Sandy knew they'd pictured the Gunny, too.

Kate nodded. "Okay, Sandy, we'll call Barbara." Dan nodded, apparently relieved he wouldn't have to work with their current broker anymore. "And as for you," she directed her words to Lenore, "You get to tell me all about your day yesterday again, when we're getting mud and wax. And this time, I'll listen."

Sandy laughed with the other two women.


13:55 Wednesday, July 3, 1991
Upper Box 19, Row 12, Seats 16 & 17,
Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA 94124

Ben and Dan wound their way through the crowd, holding beer and hotdogs. When Dan was asked for Ben's ID, he flatly responded, "He's my son." The tapman just shrugged and poured the beer.

Without further drama, they'd reached their seats, working their way down the aisle. Just as they placed their beers and dogs down the announcer called out, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please rise for the National Anthem."

Ben felt a deep sense of pride as he stood in the early afternoon sun, surrounded by 33,000 other people singing with him. As the last strains faded over the home of the brave and the Giants took the field, Ben came to attention, saluted the colors, and then sat down, reaching for his beer.

"You really take it seriously, don't you?"

Ben was startled, he'd been watching the Astros' leadoff hitter take a cut against the Giants' pitcher. "What?" he asked, as the batter fouled off the second pitch.

"Your being a soldier. The Army. All of it."

Ben looked at his father. "Don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess I do. It's just something to see it, I guess." Finley tapped a ball over the shortstop's head, a base hit. "I guess I'm proud of you. You've really grown up some. The Army's been good for you."

Down on the field, Biggio lined the first pitch through the gap, where it was fielded. Finley took second, while Biggio stopped at first. "Two on the bags, Dad. Looks good for the 'Stros". Dan nodded, and the two sipped their beers.

Jeff Bagwell grounded out, Thompson scooping up the ball, but with no play on Finley going to third or Biggio to second, he threw to first. The crowd gave a little sigh, it'd take a miracle to not have the Astros score a run, and they knew it. Dan spoke again, his eyes on the field, "They got this kid Gonzales hitting cleanup. Last year, he did OK, I think he'll go far." Luis Gonzales watched the first pitch, then drove the second pitch deep into Center, scoring Finley on the sacrifice fly. Biggio advanced to third.

Ken Caminiti struck out looking. As the Astros defense trotted out, Dan gave his son an appraising glance. "Ben, you and Sandy are gonna be apart for a while, huh?"

Ben closed his eyes, and sucked air through his teeth slowly. "Tsss ... Yeah. I'm really not looking forward to the end of our leave."

Dan nodded. Down on the field, Deshaies finished up his warmup pitches, and the catcher, Biggio, threw down to second base. "Son, if it helps, my advice is, don't tell her it's ok for her to sleep with someone else while you're apart. I'm real jealous, not of Sandy so much, but of your youth. You two have something good going and you should make it so she really looks forward to coming back to you."

Ben stared at his father, his mouth open. Did he just really say what I thought he said? Shit!

Dan seemed intent on the game below, but drank his beer at a rapid pace. Almost idly he commented, "I imagine Kate'll probably work on Sandy some today. You know, I'm really proud of how you've grown. The Army suits you. I never would have guessed ... Maybe it could do Lenore some good, too." Deshaies got the leadoff batter, Felder, to ground to short.

Who the hell are you and what did you do with my father? Ben didn't say, opting for the honest and complete answer instead. "It's Sandy, Dad. I watched what happened when she put just a little into the Army, and how much she got back out. I think she did the same with me. I worry that I won't be enough to keep her." On the second pitch, Deshaies got Robbie Thompson to hit a short fly to right field.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.