It's Just Life - Cover

It's Just Life

by woodmanone

Copyright© 2009 by woodmanone

Romantic Story: A man is patient to the point of losing his dream girl.

Tags: Ma/Fa   Romantic   Heterosexual  

There is no sex in this story, please look elsewhere for that type of reading. As usual comments from the readers are requested and welcome. Thanks for reading my story, Enjoy.

Sometimes patience is a virtue and sometimes it will make you lose what you want most in the world. That's what happened to me. I was patient, played it slow, and waited for the right time to make my move. I was patient and cool and all I got was shit on.

I should introduce myself before we go any farther. My name is Andrew Thomas Murphy. Everyone calls me Drew. I am 28, 6 feet two and about 215 pounds. My family consists of my parents and 5 children. I have three older brothers and a younger sister. My folks wanted a big family and they got it in spades.

Enough, let's continue with my story.

I went to and graduated from college to become a techno geek. Granted I don't look like the stereotypical geek, but that's what I am. If a computer gets sick, I can fix it. Not to be immodest but I am the best IT consultant in a three state area. It doesn't matter if the problem is software, hardware, or gremlins, I can fix it.

After college I went to work for a large company as one of their IT guys. I managed to stay with them for 3 years. The atmosphere was oppressive and regimented. The head of the IT department was an older lady. I firmly believe she didn't even know how to turn a computer on much less how to run an IT department. If you have ever known or been around techno geeks, you know we don't work like machines. We live in our own little world, at least at work.

As I said, I lasted 3 years and then I escaped. I had saved some money and decided to start my own IT consultant firm. Some firm, one salesman slash consultant and me. The salesman was Bobby Jensen, he worked on commission and I took care of the rest of the business. Bobby and I had grown up together and he was my best friend. I felt that if anyone had by back it was Bobby. Yeah well, we all make mistakes.

Our firm began to grow very quickly. After the first 8 months, I had to hire another consultant and a full time secretary office manager type. Her name was Kelly Ryan. She was maybe the perfect Irish lass 24 with long auburn hair, green eyes and a smile that could light up a city block. I was lost during the first week of working with her.

Bobby and I were having a working lunch plotting a course of action. A large company in the area was thinking about contracting for their IT needs. We wanted that contract as it would triple our firm's income. While talking, I mentioned Kelly several times. She had been with us for about six months and was doing a great job. She seemed to care about the firm almost as much as I did.

"You sound like you're interested in Kelly and I don't mean from a business point of view," Bobby said grinning at me. "When are you going to ask her out?"

"I have to be careful about that. If she doesn't feel the same way, it could be awkward. I'll just be patient until I see if she feels the same way about me." (There's that word again) We dropped the discussion about Kelly and got back to our battle plans.

Three weeks later, all our hard work paid off. We got the IT contract and the company was sitting in tall cotton. I invited everyone to a celebration at the nearby steak house. Dinner and drinks were on the firm. Now that we could afford it.

After a great dinner, we moved our celebration into the lounge. A band was playing so Kelly and I danced a little. Then Bobby and Kelly danced a little. We were almost giddy with joy at our success. Kelly had a little too much to drink and asked me to call her a cab. Before I could offer to drive her home, Bobby jumped in. He said he lived in the same general area as Kelly and it made more sense for him to take her home. It was logical because I lived on the other side of town. I left shortly after Bobby and Kelly.

After that night, Bobby and Kelly started to date on a steady basis. I was really pissed off because my best friend gave me the shaft. I know, I hadn't said anything to Kelly, but Bobby knew how I felt. It's a "man law"; you don't go after a girl that your best friend is interested in. I didn't know which hurt the most, losing Kelly or Bobby making a run at her.

My first reaction was to tear Bobby a new one. He knew how I felt about Kelly, but he made a run at her anyway. I decided to keep things to myself and be patient. (Damn word again) Things would mellow out. One of the effects of Bobby's betrayal was I lost my trust in him. If he could stab me in the back this way, what else would he do?

Bobby and Kelly had been dating for three months when they announced their engagement and Bobby asked me to be his best man. I tried to think of a way to say no, without letting Bobby know that I thought he was an ass. Then Kelly came to me and almost begged me to do it. She said she knew that I was Bobby's best friend and that she cares for me too. What could I do? I said yes.

Two months passed and Bobby began to drink a little too much. He started to come into work late almost every day. I mean an hour or more late and there were also a few appointments that he missed. The third morning he was late in the same week, I called him into my office.

"What's going on Bobby? Being late and missing appointments isn't like you. You're drinking a lot more too. Talk to me."

"If I want to have a couple of drinks it's none of your business, Drew," Bobby said.

"When it affects your job and this company, you damn well better believe it's my business," I responded with anger. "You helped make this company and now you're helping to run it into the ground. This is your only warning.

Get your head out. No more missed appointments, no more coming in an hour later. The drinking is your choice, but if it affects this company you're gone. You understand? Now go home and sober up. You can come back fresh in the morning, or not. Your choice," I ordered as I ran down.

The next morning Bobby came to work on time. He was bright eyed, bushy tailed, and eager to work. Maybe my talk did some good. I found out later that his change was more a result of Kelly giving him a major ass chewing. Whatever, he was back on track.

Another two months passed and the problem with Bobby seemed to have been corrected. Now a new bump in the road arose. This time the problem was with Kelly. She became very moody around the office. Her work didn't suffer, but she was liable to start crying over seemingly nothing. When I approached her, I was told that she was fine and that nothing was wrong.

(For those of you not familiar with the ways of women; don't believe those answers of fine and there's nothing wrong. It only means that they will wait and zing you with the real problem when you least expect it.)

I was at home settling down with the first and only drink of the evening. It was a ritual to have a bourbon to relax from the stress of the day. A little aside here: I believe that drinking alone is the height of stupidity. A drink because you like bourbon or whatever is okay. More than one or two is just dumb. Alone you have no one to debate with or to impress. Okay, end of sermon, sorry.

My bourbon was at the half way point and the phone rang. I let it go to voice mail because I didn't want to get up unless it was something important. The caller was Kelly and I was able to pick up the phone before she finished with her message. She seemed to be very upset.

"Hi Kelly, it's me. What do you need?"

"Oh Drew, Bobby has fallen off the wagon. We had an argument and he stormed out of here. I don't know where he is and I'm worried. My car is in the shop and I can't go look for him. Can you track him down for me?"

The last thing I wanted to do was to babysit Bobby. I still hadn't forgotten him stabbing me in the back with Kelly. She was almost in tears and I couldn't stand it. Even though she and Bobby were engaged, it didn't stop the way I felt about her. I had to help, if only for her sake.

"Sure Kelly, don't worry. I'll find him and see what's up. I'll call you when I find him."

"Thanks Drew. Bobby told me that you warned him that if his production didn't pick up you would let him go and he got depressed. I'm afraid if he gets drunk, he won't be able to work tomorrow," Kelly told me.

"He told you what?" I couldn't believe his lies. "Kelly that's not what happened. He was coming in over an hour late two or three times a week and there were several appointments he missed due to drinking. I told him if he was that late again or if he missed anymore appointments that he was gone. Nothing was said about production."

"Bobby lied to me?" Kelly seemed shocked. "Why would he tell me that?"

"I don't know Kelly. Maybe he was trying to save face. You'll have to talk to him about that. I'll call if I find him. Good night." If I talked to her any more I would have told her that Bobby had turned into an ass. It would be easier on Kelly if I kept my opinion to myself.

So I started the great search for my "friend" Bobby. There were two or three watering holes that he liked. Those were the first ones I checked. I found him at the lounge at the Hyatt. He was sitting at the bar flirting with the bar maid. She was cute but she couldn't compete with Kelly, at least in my eyes.

I walked up behind Bobby and just stood there. He wasn't aware I was there and continued his line with the girl. I tapped him on the shoulder and the smile dropped off his face when he saw me.

"What the hell Bobby? What are you doing? You do remember our talk don't you?" I couldn't seem to slow down with the questions.

"Hi boss. I'm not drunk, just having a couple. What are you doing here?" He seemed puzzled to see me.

"Kelly called me, she told me about your fight and that you walked out. She's worried and asked me to find you," I answered him.

"She shouldn't have called you, it's wasn't that big of a deal. You know just a lover's spat," he said. I wasn't convinced.

I got a beer from the girl and said to Bobby, "Let's grab a booth and talk buddy. C'mon Bobby we're friends, maybe I can help." I didn't know about the friends part, but I had to say something to get him to talk to me. We adjourned to a booth and then the flood gates opened. Bobby explained why he was in an uproar.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.