Titanium Blue - Cover

Titanium Blue

Copyright© 2009 by Sir Endrick

Chapter 4

“Arthur, some cruising music please”

<One moment Sir.>

The speakers in the front of the bike started playing Sweet Home Chicago by the Blues Brothers. I looked to my left and Denise was there on her bike. She looked back at me and grinned and started bobbing her head with the music. I was on a Jesse James custom bike with a gorgeous woman riding next to on her new bike, it was a beautiful Southern California morning and we were riding south to San Diego ... what could be wrong with my world?

Well for one I was starting to have feelings for Denise and I was trying to figure out how to explain my alter-ego and not screw up what I think was starting to develop here. Actually I think the right phrase was terrified. I looked to my left and for the briefest moment I had trouble breathing ... well ok that was a figure of speech in my case cause one of the few other abilities I did know about was I didn’t need to breathe, but you know what I mean.

I’ve been wanting to explain to her since we got off the plane because I keep getting these signals from her that she’s interested in me as more than just friends, which is my intention as well. I knew I’d have to tell her sometime early on but I didn’t plan on it so soon. I figured we’d make this trip, date a little and then I could show her, but she’s made it fairly clear that she is interested in more than just a platonic friendship. I’m totally on board with that, I mean who wouldn’t be interested in Denise. She’s got a brilliant mind, a great sense of humor and well ... if she wanted to she could be on the cover of a magazine. Denise is about 5’7”, 140 or so but as far as I can tell it’s all muscle and curves. Auburn hair to about the middle of her back, a fantastic bottom that curves down to stunning legs, a light dusting of freckles over her face and upper chest, green eyes and a nice firm D cups. Beyond her purely physical attributes is the fact that she is probably one of the most brilliant engineering minds in the country and a card carrying smart ass. I have a weakness for auburn hair, brains and busty women ... so I was pretty much head over heels already, but as I’ve gotten to know her it’s gotten worse.

Denise keyed her mic. “Hey handsome, you look like you have something on your mind”

I looked over “yeah ... I’ve just been thinking some things through ... Uh ... when we get to the hotel I need to talk to you...”

Denise looked at me. “ok what about?”

I took a deep breath. “I think there is a connection between us here and I need to get some things out in the open here. I need to be honest with you about who I really am, not just the TB part of me.”

Denise smiled “you mean your secret identity”

I nodded.

It’s pretty common knowledge that most heroes have a secret ID of some kind or another. The media doesn’t pry into it cause they got into deep shit back in the mid 80’s. Some over zealous reporter wannabe found out the secret ID of a hero and splashed it all over a rag tabloid to try and make a name for himself. Well it backfired on him in a big way when the heroes family was kidnapped by a villain who the hero had battled many times. The hero tried to rescue his family and when he showed up the villain killed his wife and 2 kids. The reporter was charged and convicted of reckless endangerment and involuntary manslaughter in the deaths of the family and served 12 years. He never worked in the media again and even the tabloids wouldn’t touch him after that. The villain was locked away in Bentham doing 35 to life in the medical wing. Seems the hero in question finally caught the villain and lost it. He crippled the villain before he finished. The hero then hung up his mask and left the US, vowing to never work as a hero again. Since he retired he hasn’t been heard from in the almost 20 years since it happened. Not long after it happened President Reagan introduced a bill to make revealing a heroes secret ID a federal crime which Congress passed nearly unanimously. Now revealing a heroes secret ID could get you a minimum of 15 years in a federal prison as well as any charges related to it.

I looked over at Denise smiled and turned back to the road.

“I know all I need to know ... Mark”

My head snapped around and I nearly lost control of the bike “How?”

Denise sighed “Ya know, since the Patterson case and the Reagan law you heroes have gotten sloppy hiding your secret ID’s.”

I stammered “I thought I was being careful ... I ... shit.”

Denise looked at me “Oh it wasn’t easy, but remember I told you how my Dad was very protective of me? Well, some of his paranoia rubbed off on me. After that night in front of the police station I decided I wanted to get to know you, but I needed to be sure about you. I made a few calls and called in a favor or two with the Justice Department.” “It wasn’t easy but by the time you called, my sources were already working on it and they were pretty sure you were ok so that’s why I said yes to this little Hope and Crosby road trip, By the time we left yesterday I knew.”

“What would you have done if I hadn’t cleared waivers so to speak?”

Denise shrugged “I’d have begged off with an emergency business meeting, flown to Paris or something for a week or so, since I was really liking the idea of a vacation. I’d have let you use the jet to get out here and that would have been the end of it. I wasn’t going to leave you without a way to get here.”

I shook my head “So how much do you know?”

Denise smiled at me “Let’s get to the hotel and we can talk there. I’m sure there’s more to the story than my sources found, but I know you’re a good man and someone I want as a part of my life.”

I laughed “I bet the Justice Department wouldn’t be happy if they knew you used them as your own dating service.”

Denise grinned “No actually, my uncle Charlie didn’t mind. I am his favorite almost niece after all.”

“Uncle Charlie?”

Denise laughed “Yeah I forget, not many people refer to him by his middle name, Andrew Charles Rightman.”

“Wait, you’re related to Andrew Rightman, head of the Justice Department?”

Denise chuckled “Not really, my father and uncle Charlie were room mates at Purdue together in the mid 60’s. They used to laugh about how they ended up friends, the egghead and the ROTC jock. Dad helped uncle Charlie through first year chemistry and he helped dad learn about women and dating.”

I laughed “So how did he become uncle Charlie?”

“Well, uncle Charlie is sort of how my mom and dad met. Uncle Charlies girl friend at the time had a friend in town from Berkeley for a week and they needed a date for her, so he got dad to go. They hit it off, dated long distance for a year, then she switched schools. Just after Dad graduated Purdue in ‘69 and went to MIT for his Grad degree they got married. You’ll have to meet him some time, he’s a teddy bear, but don’t tell him I said that.”

I chuckled “What have I gotten myself into?”

Denise grinned “well if you play your cards right later tonight, my panties ... if I was wearing any.”

My jaw hit my chest as Denise cranked her throttle and sped off.

I mumbled “I am in so much trouble.”

<Sir, I believe that might be an understatement.>

I laughed “I don’t remember programming you to be a smart ass.”

<Well Sir, there is a theory that an A.I.> <takes on the qualities of the person that created it.>

“Har de har har Norton ... that’s about all I need out of you right now.”

<Hey there Ralphie boy!... > <ahem ... Sorry Sir, I got carried away.>

“Arthur, call a florist in San Diego and have a dozen long stemmed roses sent to the room please.”

<Yes Sir, and might I suggest there is a concert> <in San Diego tonight the two of you might enjoy.> <It seems Buddy Guy will be in town.>

“Great idea, can you have the tickets sent with the roses?”

<The tickets will be in a card with the flowers and> <they’ll be delivered by 4 pm>

“Now lets open this thing up and see what she can do before Denise gets too far ahead of us.”

<Sir I would not recommend... >

I cranked the throttle hard and the front wheel came up off the ground fast then settled back down with a thud as I leaned into it. Next thing I know I am screaming down the Pacific Coast Highway at 135 and catching Denise in a hurry.

“Holy shit, bubba I didn’t think it would do that.”

<Sir, the bike has a top speed of 195 without> <the small nitrous charge under the seat>

I eased off the throttle so I could talk. “Arthur, dial Jesse.”

The phone rang twice. “Hey big man, did you find the surprise?”

“If by surprise you mean pulling a wheelie on the PCH at 135 mph a little surprise yeah, a little warning would have been nice. I almost crapped a brick.”

Jesse laughed “Yeah well I wasn’t worried about you or the bike. I figured if it got too hairy the A.I. could keep you out of trouble.”

“Yeah yeah yeah, remind me to beat you later.”

Jesse laughed “Hey man, I need to go, but call me when you get back in town.”

“Ok, no problem. Denise and I are headed to San Diego for the day, we’ll be back tomorrow or the next day.”

“So what’s the deal with Denise? Are you two?”

“I’m not sure man, my super powers don’t let me read women any better then you do.”

Jesse groaned “Oh man are you in trouble.”

I laughed “Ya think? I’ll call ya when we get back in town.”

“Ok, tell Denise that Larry and I say hi.”

“ok, later chief.” I cut the call just as I was pulling up with Denise.

Denise looked over “I saw that wheelie, you need to be more careful.”

“Yeah well it seems Jesse didn’t bother to tell me this thing has a lot more power that a normal bike. By the way, Jesse and Larry say hi.”

I switched over to the GPS and we were about 90 minutes from San Diego. “Let’s pull over and grab some sodas and stretch a little.”

Denise giggled “Need to change your undies there?”

I grinned “Who said I was wearing any either?”

About 10 miles down the road we found a gas station with a quick mart attached so we pulled over, grabbed drinks and made a pit stop. We were sitting on some benches outside just enjoying the weather even though it was getting a bit warm.

“So, knowing what you know, it didn’t scare you off ... good.”

Denise looked at me from across the table “Nope, but it did intrigue me. There was a hero named Titanium Blue matching your description back a little over 30 years ago, but he disappeared back in 1978.”

“Really, I never checked to see if there was anyone named TB before I woke up here.”

“What do you mean woke up here?”

I stood up “Lets get to the hotel and I’ll tell you the story.”

Denise and I got back on out bikes and pulled out. We talked about other things on the rest of the trip south but I knew there were a million questions running through her mind.


We pulled in front of the El Coronado about 11 or so and checked in. I grabbed the garment bag I had my suit in and headed for the concierge desk to the side of the check in. I dropped it off so I could get it dry cleaned, then Denise and I headed to the suite. The suite was huge with a full wet bar, seating area, balcony with some seating and it overlooked the beach.

She crossed to the bar and flipped a switch just behind the bar and the windows got just a bit darker and there was a low hum in the room.

“What’s that?”

Denise smiled. “It’s a privacy screen and white noise generator just to be safe. The windows darken slightly and have a mirror coating when that switch it thrown.”

I nodded “Ah ok ... yeah I should be more careful you never know who can hear.”

“ok let’s get some drinks and I can start story time. What would ya like?”

Denise tapped her chin “Hmmm ... do they have any Guinness in there?”

I raised an eyebrow “I wouldn’t have taken you for a Guinness girl.”

She chuckled “Well I spent a few months in the UK between high school and freshman year, it’s almost law you have to drink it, and I developed a taste for it.”

I grabbed a Guinness for her and popped open a Diet Coke for me as I leaned back against the bar.

“Ok let’s see. A long time ago in a universe far far away...”

Denise chuckled “Don’t you mean galaxy?”

I shook my head “No ... in this case I mean universe”

“Back in 1999 I was a college student at Southern Illinois University majoring in Computer Science...”


Over the next 45 minutes or so I told my odd tale including how I’m not from here originally. Denise would stop me and ask me questions as I explained. She was really interested in O.I. and how it was 180 degrees from how tough I was as TB.

“So wait a minute, when you change to TB from Mark where does the wheelchair go?”

I shrugged “I’m not sure really. It sort of absorbs into me and becomes a part of me.”

“So you have the same chair you had from your original universe?”

I nodded “Yup, and when I see what this world can do for mobility I’ve though about replacing it, but I’m not sure if it is part of the reason I can change. If it is and I replace it will I still be able to change or will it screw things up somehow?”

“Well, we can always experiment some and see, but what about making repairs to the old chair?”

“One of the things I did when I realized tech here was so much more advanced was get the manufacturer to make a small stockpile of parts for me. They looked at me like I was crazy for trying to keep what they thought of as an an “old beater chair” working and tried to sell me a brand new chair with all the bells and whistles, but I tossed a big wad of cash at them.”

Denise laughed “Money talks...”

I nodded “I’ve even thought about building a new chair myself with grav-pad parts so I can use stairs and stuff, but I’m not sure it wouldn’t screw me up. Hell it still uses old gel cell batteries. I have to charge it every night if I use it.”

“Well when we get back let’s see what we can find out. I bet we can figure this out. So ... are you going to show me the other you?”

I nodded “Why not, you know everything now so you might as well see it.”

I moved into the room and willed the change.

Denise looked wide eyed at me as I switched. “Now that is cool, you look like the silver Terminator when you do that.”

I chuckled “That’s what I thought the first time I did it in front of a mirror.”

Denise walked over and placed a soft kiss on me, but she seemed a bit hesitant to touch me.

I smiled “It’s ok to touch me or hug me, I’m not as fragile as it sounds. Just no Judo moves or we’re gonna be in the ER getting bones set. It’s been almost 14 years since I had a major break, my bones are a bit tougher.”

Denise put her arms around my neck “is that cause of your powers?”

“No, it’s something to do with O.I. and how it effects the bones.”

Denise leaned in and kissed me again “your handsome in either form you know that?”

“Ok, now I’m worried, you either need glasses or your delusional.”

Denise grinned and slapped my arm then gasped. “Oh god are you ok?”

I chuckled “Yeah, like I said, I’m not as fragile as it sounds. Here, let me change back.”

Denise stepped back an I switched back to TB.

“So, now you know it all. Ready to run and hide?”

She crossed the room and stood in front of me. “Nope, I think you might be stuck with me...”

Denise grabbed a chair and stepped up on it. “Come here...”

She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me softly.

“Mark, I knew 2 weeks ago I wanted to know you better, but as I knew more about you and who you are, I knew there was more I wanted than to just be friends.”

I shook my head “I was surprised when you gave me your card. I couldn’t figure out why you’d be interested in me.”

Denise smiled “I have my reasons and I might even explain someday.”

“Oh really ... someday...”

“yes ... someday...”

I was leaning in for another kiss when a soft chime sounded.

I looked up “What’s that?”

Denise laughed “The door silly, I’ll get it.”

Denise hopped off the chair and crossed to the door. I just couldn’t help but watch her butt sway across the room and I should have known she’s catch me looking.

“Like what you see?”

I grinning “Very much, makes me wanna smack it”

Denise smile lit up “Oh really?”

She looked through the peephole and opened the door.

The bellman was there with the roses “Delivery for you ma’am.”

Denise grinned and took the flowers. “Thank you.” She reached into the pocket of her jacket hanging near the door and tipped him.

I smiled “Check the card.”

Denise opened the card and caught the tickets before they fell out. “To yesterday, Today and what might be tomorrow, Mark.”

She opened the ticket envelope and grinned. “Oooooh, I’ve always wanted to see Buddy Guy, but never got out to his club.”

I furrowed my eyebrows “Who’s this Mark character? The nerve of him.”

“Yeah I know...” she started crossing the room back to me. “Like I would just drop everything and run off with him cross country, road trip back with him and let him take me to see Buddy Guy tonight.”

Denise stepped back up on the chair wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me. “I love the flowers, Thank you.”

“I know it will sound dopey, but my thought was beautiful roses for a beautiful redhead.”

She grinned at me “He’s got some nerve ... I guess I’ll have to let him wine and dine me tonight.”

I looked seriously at her. “you sure, he might decide to take you back to his room and try something untoward. You know, get you tipsy, try and ravish you.”

Denise giggled “God I hope so, he has no idea how much he turns me on.”

I cocked my head. “Maybe I should call and warn him you have your own nefarious plan.”

Denise smacked my arm “Don’t you dare, tonight I plan on getting him right where I want him.”

“Oh really, and where might that be?”

Denise pointed over my shoulder “in there, naked in bed with me.”

I shrugged “Well at least it sounds like he’ll die happy, but still ... I think I might warn him you are a super villain out to corrupt him.”

Denise pouted “Now do you really think I’d try and corrupt him?”

I rolled my eyes “God I hope so.”

Denise giggled “What time is the concert?”

“It starts at 9:30 but we need to get cleaned up and changed. Why don’t you get started, I need to call the concierge and see if my suit is done.”

Denise looked at the clock “Actually I need to run out and get a dress and some odds and ends. It won’t take long just let me make a call or two.”

“I’ll ask the concierge to call you a taxi when I ask about my suit”

A few phone called later and Denise headed out to do some quick shopping. I hung out in the room for a bit, but decided to head down to the pool and the bar. I left Denise a note and waited at the bar watching the sports news. I went back to the room about 3:30 and jumped in the shower. About 45 minutes later I was coming out of the bedroom as Denise got back and rushed past me into the bedroom.

Denise called back over her shoulder “I’ll be ready in 45 minutes.”


I sat down and watching sports center for a while, called for a limo and waited. I’ve learned a few things over the years, like never get impatient when your woman is getting herself beautiful for a night out, never look at the cost of the dress she just bought and most importantly if she asks “Do these jeans make my butt look big?” lie like your life depends on it ... cause it might.

Oh ... also the best come back to “Does this look good with this?” I ever heard was “you picked out what I’m wearing cause you say I have no taste in clothes so why are you asking me?” ... then run...

Almost exactly 45 minutes later the bedroom door opening.

“Ok handsome, what do you think?”

Denise stood there in a black silk spaghetti strap dress that hugged her curves like a second skin, auburn hair up with a pair of long sticks holding it in place, sheer charcoal nylons and black 3 inch heels, clutching a small handbag. I did the only thing I could think of and let out a long, low whistle.

“Wow ... just ... wow”

I stood up and grabbed my suit jacket, straightened my tie and offered my arm. “you look amazing ... shall we?”

We headed down to the bell desk for our limo. Denise turned more than a few heads on the way out and as we got in the limo. It was about a 20 minute ride to the restaurant and our table was waiting when we got there. The hostess lead us to our table overlooking the bay then took our drink orders. The sun was just starting to set, a few small sailboats coming in, and the waves were washing along the beach.

I smiled out at the scene “you were right, this is a great place so far. If the food is as good as the view I’ll have to come back next time I’m out here.”

Denise sipped her water “If you like seafood you’ll love it. The chef makes a lobster bisque that is amazing.”

“Oh, I love lobster bisque, but I was thinking a couple of tails and a small fillet.”

Denise split the roll, buttered both halves and handed me half “Then maybe the gumbo or the crawfish etouffee.”

The waitress brought out the drinks and asked if we were ready to order “Give us a few minutes, but I hear the crawfish etouffee and the gumbo are good.”

I looked at Denise “I was thinking since we got here and I changed the plan, how about we stay til Monday. We can head back in the morning and get set to start back home.”

Denise nodded “Sounds good, we can hit the zoo early tomorrow and maybe Sea World in the afternoon.”

Eventually the waitress came back and took our orders and brought back a bottle of wine. I had 2 big lobster tails and a small fillet and Denise had crab legs and a fillet. We just talked and watched the sun go down over the bay. We were finishing up dinner with some cappuccino and a little tiramisu. I looked over and the sun was almost down and when I looked back at Denise the last bit of sun was highlighting her hair.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.