Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around - Cover

Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 10: Making News

Catherine looks at me and huffs under her breath.

Dammit Chronos." she hisses "Get it together. she waves her hands furiously at me while I am busy rolling on the ground with laugher.

This is so cliché, that all it can be is funny. I grin up at her.

At this point Nev starts to giggle at her Cousins too, as they get up and dust off their bottoms. She smiles and waves at them, many of them give her a sheepish grin. One of the men, who did manage to land gracefully, stalks over to us.

Who are you? He looks at Catherine. There is more than curiosity in his glance. She is, after all, a fine figure of a woman.

I'm Catherine. She introduces herself, with a knowing smile, back.

I'm Diana. Diana chimes in. And who are you? She gives him a saucy grin back. He looks overwhelmed by their attention.

Are you alright Nosis? Alys asks me, as I calm down.

I am fine. It is not every day I get attacked by the lost boys. But my joke is lost on her. I sigh to myself, she must not have heard about Peter Pan. I jump to my feet and dust off.

I am Chronos. I flash a smile as well. Who might you be? I give him my hand to shake.

This is Tom. Nev sighs his name, like he is a god.

I see. I raise an eyebrow. Well Tom, you seem to have an interesting fighting force here. I can't keep the humor I am feeling out of my words. He gives me a sour expression.

Oh don't worry Tom I thought it was genius. Nev cooes at him and flashes me an angry glance.

Why don't you take us to Nev's parents, Diana suggests, cutting to the heart of the matter, very nicely. I am sure they would love to hear that their daughter is alive and come home. Tom looks over at Mints, who sadly nods his head. The fight has gone out of the poor man.

We are a happy procession that enters the homestead. It is much like the Compound, only without walls. There are a number of cultivated fields, mostly harvested and turned for the winter. There is a collection of buildings, out-houses and barns in the center of the fields. What strikes me about the buildings is that they seem to house animals. I spot pigs and goats, chickens and geese. And what looked like a smoke house.

Welcome to Killmick Falls. Mints says under his breath.

You should not feel badly Mints. At least you had a defense ready. That took some planning. I try to cheer him up. I am sorry I laughed. But the rooster crow was over the top. I share this bit of wisdom with him.

Nev gets her share of happy shouts and attention as do Catherine and Diana. But it is my hair that really shocks everyone. The few older women glance at me and shudder. And fewer still are the younger ones who look on with awe. There is a lot of pointing and laughing.

Oh Nev. Her mother cries as she runs up and wraps her in a big hug. We thought you was a goner for sure. Oh my baby.

Her father just keeps on wiping his eyes and shaking his head. Once Nev untangle herself from her mothers grip she leads them over to us to make introductions

This is Diana, she's a protector. Her eye wide with shy hero worship. Diana gives them a neat bow.

And this is Catherine. She's a Protector too. she point at her. Catherine gives an acknowledge tilt of her head.

And this is my friend Chronos, she's a healer. I wave and grin.

This are Brin and Alys. They got rescued like me.

These are my folks. she smile broadly at us.

And you are called? I asked her mother. She giggles and puts a hand to her mouth.

I'm Liss, aren't you a dear. She says looking over my hair. Well I guess we can't judge those that do good, now can we father. She looks to her husband for confirmation.

Doing good works, you is a healer, Nev says. He looks like he has convince himself with that thought.

I am named Healer for the Kindred. I say politely. It is a pleasure to meet you sir.

He puffs up at being called sir. Oh you don't need to sir me. Just call me Howle. he laughs Sir. Ha.

We were puttin' dinner on when we heard the alarm. Mother Liss says. It isn't much, but you're all most welcome to share it with us.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.