Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around - Cover

Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

Prologue 3: Stranger At the Gate

Once again I find myself standing at the gate, like a poor relation. I know my posture is anything but compliant. I am impatient. I have been left standing here for over 5 hets. It is bad enough I was being treated like a pariah, but made to wait for the the dubious honor of meeting my new keeper is too much. I gave up everything so the universe would remain stable. I gave up the meaning of my life. I took the damn oath. No students would I every take. No new Ma'hy would I make, my life on this.

I fold my arms around my chest, trying to hold back the heart ache. I knew they still didn't trust me. I guess I had hoped that my change of heart would have been enough. But I forgot, I am not dealing with humans, I am not dealing with people who care. The ruling governors are still running scared. So I get stuck with a librarian as a babysitter. Some luck. I am never going to go anywhere again. I am going to be stuck at this temple doing useless things.

"Damn the universe. Damn them for their tiny minds." I mumble under my breath. "I should have just jumped the first shuttle out of here." I could feel my jaw clench at my building anger.

"Where, in dark storms is this ... Palto." I gaze around, taking in the archways and the clean lines of the buildings around me. The ancient stone work, so different from rest of the city. The alien runes running up and down the columns. All saying majestic words that taste like ash on my lips if I would bother to utter them.

Coming from one of the outer arches I catch sight of someone. He is moving at a slow pace. In no hurry to join me.

He is a head shorter than me, with an extra set of upper appendages. At least he is in the same range of skin tone as me, rather than the blue or fluorescent orange that I had previously been working with. There are very few humanoid biped's with only a single pair of upper appendages. They are the high races. I think sometimes that is why I am treated so reverently half of the time, and like crap the other half.

I uncross my arms and let them hang at my side as Palto and I meet for the first time. I can tell that he is no happier than I about this current arrangement. He sizes me up with the same measured care that brought him to my face.

"So, what do I call you?" he asks me. His imperial clipped and harsh to my ears. I am used to the soft tones of my friend Heack.

"I don't really care," I grumble back at him. Crossing my arms over my chest in a protective gesture again, I glare at him.

"Fine," he gives me a short nod of understanding. "What are your augments?" He looks me over not seeing any obvious ones.

"Not the politest of questions," I hiss at him. I am outraged that he should even ask.

I stalk away from him and head into the temple. I know I should try to make nice. I will be under his command for the time being. But it is hard. I gave up everything and yet am shown no trust.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.