Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around
Chapter 20: They Are Gone

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

The next morning we sit Alys down at the table and spread out our maps of the area.

"Alright, Alys. Now is the time to tell us where your folks are." I lay down the law, no more whining or keeping silent. She has to talk.

"I can't read them." She looks sadly at the table.

"Oh, for Christmas sake." Diana explodes and slams her palm down on the table. Alys jumps and shoots Diana a scared expression.

I frown at Diana, but continue with Aly, in a quieter tone "Alys. Please," I say and take her hand in mine. I work on sending calming influences at her. "You know what I can do. I can make you tell us. I have not because I do not think it is right."

She shivers in her seat. "We live in a church. We got 5 other families with us." She stops and bites down on her lip to keep from crying.

Alys looks over at me her eyes pleading with me to let her stop now. No such luck. I shake my head no.

"What is the name of the church?" Diana asks.

"The Great Saints of Christian Faith." Alys answers in a small voice. "It is the biggest church for miles."

Diana starts looking on the map.

"What happened the day the Brutes came?" I give Alys' hand a soft squeeze and pet her with my left. "We do not think you are evil for being taken." I try to reassure her.

"They came at sunset. We where sitting down to evening prayer. Most of the men folk were still at the river bringing in the catch." Her voice hitches as she tries to hold back the tears. "There were 4 of us girls. And mama. Oh what they did to mama. I am so ashamed." She pulls her hand away and hides her face. "They laughed and made us watch. She was bleeding bad when they left. Coop said that because she was too old they could have her now and then take the rest of us later." She breaks down completely now. Crying so hard that she can't talk.

"My mama is dead." She manages to choke out. "I hate them!" She yells this time. "I don't care what the books say, I hate them all!"

She wipes the tears from her face. Instead of looking guilty for her out burst she looks proud and stubborn, daring us to make her take it back.

Diana shrugs and gives Alys a sad smile. "Childhood is over."

"They are all dead. Coop included." I remind her. "They are hated, now you have to let it go." She just gets more stubborn. "But that lesson is for another day." I turn to Diana. "What do you have?"

"Two possibilities." She points to the map. "We have the Holy Apostles Cathedral over here. And the 12 Saints here." She points to the other. "They are both about a 2 day journey from the prison. A 4 day journey for us."

"Then let us head for the nearest one and work our way to the other on the way home." I suggest looking at the points on the map she has marked.

Diana looked on but as it was the only plan that made sense that is what we are going to do.

...

We walk for 3 more days away from Rich's little farm, from sunrise to sunset, through weather that is turning cold. That is to say, it rains, a lot. We are wet and foot sore by the end of the 3rd day.

"Nosis can you see if you can use your magic or whatever and find us a dry spot. A cave or something, anything?" Diana implores me at what should be sunset, she is starting to get worried that her guns would get too wet to fire.

"I can not promise anything but I will give it a shot." I smile back at her.Getting out of the rain was probably a good idea. A fire for tea and something hot to eat would be nice.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.