Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around - Cover

Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 18: New Enemies

Rich leads us back to the house. The two other boys have beat us there. They are sitting at the table looking sullen. Brin has a look of I told you so on her face. And Emma just looks confused.

"What happened?" Emma rushes at us, as Catherine enters with Billy Ray slung over her shoulder.

"Billy got in the way of Chronos' fist." Catherine says dryly.

"We are fine, too." I say brightly. "We just need to talk."

"The boys are fine, Emma." Rich gives her a sheepish grin. "But we do need to talk with our guests."

"Well," She harrumphs. "Brin give me a hand with the food."

"But Ma." Brin gives the universal whine of all teenagers, who are dragged away from the juicy conversations.

"I'll get Diana." Catherine dumps Billy Ray on the floor. Rich waves at his boys to pick up their brother and carry him to a bed. They shuffle out of the dinning room, dragging Billy Ray. I smile after them thinking, 'That boy is going to be so sore when he wakes up'.

Once we are along to I ask. "And you are going to tell me what the hell you are doing out here?" I turn on Rich.

"I guess it is time for it to come out." He sighs and sits defeated in a chair. "I am a dissident from the Neo states, empire of the west." He wipes his palms on his trousers. "I fled when they decided that I was too out spoken about the war. I am not a Mormon or anything but I didn't like that they were being warred against. I think we were at war with them for the last 20 years."

"20 years is a long time." I agree. I could feel my position of outrage softening. "Go on."

"So I fled. I ran east because it was said to be the untamed wilderness. I met Emma on the way, and set up house here."

"What about the tech in your basement?"

"How... ?" He looks around shocked at my question.

"I have my ways." I frown darkly at him.

"It is a silencer." He admits reluctantly. "Scrambles any long range listening devices." He wipes his face with the back of his shirt.

I finally decide that he is telling me the truth and sit down at the table. "So you have been hiding here from the evil empire for twenty years. Raising a family and not talking to anyone. You do realize that is incredibly messed up?"

Rich looks at me in shock, then he starts to laugh. A real full out from the gut laugh, that has Emma running in from the kitchen. She blinks. This is not what she was expecting to find.

"Rich." Her voice is full of wonder and love. This must have been the man she met 20 years ago. Rich tries to stop mid laugh and ends up choking instead.

I decide I should give the couple some time to kiss and make up or whatever they are going to do and turn into the kitchen. Brin is peeking around the door way. She too is looking on in wonderment. This must have not be a side of her father she had ever seen. I join her in the door way.

Propping my shoulder against the frame I say. "Am I good or what?" Congratulating myself in bring together another couple.

Brin giggles into her hand. At this point Catherine and Diana come down the stairs. Their treads slow as they hear Rich's almost hysterical laughter. The two protectors stop in the doorway, and watch, as Emma tries to calm her husband down.

"I swear, Chronos, you make people crazy." Catherine frowns. Diana hits her on the shoulder. Then the two of them smile at the couple as they are really cute.

"What did you do?" Brin whispers afraid she will break the spell of mirth.

"I do what I always do, Brin. Tell it like it is. Some people take it better than others." I smile and pat her arm.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.