Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around - Cover

Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 16: All Wet

As we get settled in to Brin's old room, I think about looking for Brin's father at first. Where has the man taken himself off to? But, on second thought I look over at Alys and can see she is a mess, she really doesn't need any more drama to her day.

Brin on the other hand is plowing ahead with her plans. She seems to think it is her mother, who needs to be convinced that she is making the right move. She leaves us to follow her mother back downstairs, where, Emma said something about making a meal for us. So instead of going out to look for Brin's mysterious and grouchy father, I stay and the three of us clean out Brin's room, so we can stow our affects and sleep undisturbed.

We strip the bed and clean out all the debris, using the same method as Brin, out the window. I make up the bed for Alys to nap on. She just sits in a corner and hugs her knees while we clean and is very grateful when I say to her. "Alys dear, why don't you take a nap now. We will stay here and keep the boys away from you." She gives me a sad smile and slowly climbs into the bed. She is asleep in an instant.

Then the three of us sit around to talk.

"Well, this is quite the mess." Diana says, with her usual understatement of the facts.

"I am just glad the Brin is going to leave." Catherine answers. Her eyes still sweeping the room in disgust.

"What I am wondering, is what the hell is going on? Emma seems to be the only human one here. The boys are..." I pause in search of a word.

"Morons." Diana supplies with amusement.

"I was looking for something less derogatory. They have no mental stimulation, so it is no big surprise that they are only looking after number one." I end and chew my bottom lip as I think so more. "What I was looking at was the father. He seemed off to me. I mean why live out here? His wife is pretty smart, and would not have fallen for his macho posturing. The boys, for all their lack of training, are smart and attentive, as is Brin." "You think daddy has something to hide?" Catherine looks at me in surprise.

"He was off. Why was he not happy about Brin coming back home. Yeah, maybe he did not want to feed us, but that is just too ridiculous for me to believe. Then, he just leaves the house after we get here, he does not sit in and listen to our story. Every-one listens to news. Especially when you have so little contact." I argue back.

"Do we care?" Diana muses out loud. "If he doesn't harm us, then I say, we live and let live." "All I am saying is, I do not like it." I sigh. "I wish I could have touched him, maybe get a reading about him from that." I mutter to myself "Fine." Catherine says, back to her grumpy attitude. I like that she has mellowed toward me over the week. At this point, I can tell she is only making a token effort of resistance.

"In that case, I am going to see what I can find." I say as I stand, I look at Diana and ask. "Would you keep Alys company, Diana?" "Sure, I was thinking of catching a cat nap, myself," She gives us a wry grin. "I figured we are going to set a watch tonight." Catherine gives her a short bark of laughter. "You got that right." Catherine also stands and stretches. "I think a look around would be a good idea." I gesture for her to lead out of the room. She rolls her eyes and heads out of the room. I give Diana a small bow of thanks and follow. Catherine is already half way down the stairs by the time I get out of the door. I guess she plans to explore on her own.

I stop for a moment and listen for the sounds of female voices. Brin and her mother are in the kitchen. Her voice sound strident has she tries to convince her mother that this is her life and her plan. Emma sounds like she can't believe that she is losing her baby girl, after getting her back. I wonder some more, why Brin was the only one taken from this group. Yes, she is the only girl on this farm but according to the Killmick settlers, there are at least 6 other families in this area. Why have they never been visited?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.