Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 14

I gave Jess the cooks tour of the mess hall and cook house, then I showed her the offsiders room. I pointed out that the bathroom adjoined to my room and she would need to knock before entering as would I. She wrinkled her nose at it.

"Jesus, why do I have to stop in this God forsaken dump? I've got to leave all my friends to come and live in the sticks just because HE won't get a job nearer to home. It's just not fair and I've got to stay in this stinking hovel."

I was starting to get pissed off with her selfish attitude so I fired up.

"Jess, you are a selfish little bitch, your father is at his wits end trying to make sure you have a place to live. YOU seem to think that if he gets a job nearer home everything will be OK, YOU will still have your friends. It doesn't matter that he could only get a job swinging a pick and shovel on a lot less money, he's hardly a young man is he? YOU want him to give up a job that he's very good at just to satisfy YOU It's all about YOU."

"You can't talk to me like that."

"I can and I bloody well will, for Christ's sake Jess, you're damn near a woman, act like one. Your father is going to go to work driving a grader, if he is still worrying about you he could have an accident, how would you feel then? Give him a break, tell him that you will be OK living here for a while, give it a try, it's not so bad here when you get used to it."

"That room is grotty, how can you expect me to stay in there?"

"OK, lets do it up a bit, are you willing to give it a go? I'll help you as much as I can, have we got a deal? I can see Ernie and Fred coming over here now, so what about it?"

"Hi Daddy, the rooms a bit of a dump but Tony is going to help me do it up. I suppose I was making it a bit hard for you so I promise to try and like it here."

Ernie's face lit up and he gave me a thankful look. "That's great Jess, I'll pay for anything you need to get comfortable. We will need to go back to the flat and get the rest of the stuff and clean up before handing it back to the landlord though."

"If Dom can look after this evening's meal I could run Jess back and take care of that if you like, is that OK with you Fred?"

"If it's OK with Fred I would appreciate that Tony, it's only our personal stuff that's there, the furniture belongs with the flat. Dump anything of my wife's in the rubbish bin, Jess will know what to take."

Fred was agreeable so after he ran Ernie out to the work site he handed the key to the ute to me.

"Better take the ute Tony, there's more room in the back to cart things."

I told Jess that I thought she was showing a bit of maturity in being agreeable.

"Agreeable for now but I'll see how things work out before I'll accept it."

...

When we got under way Jess started pumping me for information.

"What's this 'reputation' you have that got Dad worried Tony?"

"Jess, all father worry about their daughters safety, his comment was misplaced and you heard him apologise for making it."

"Yeah, but you do seem to have some sort of a reputation don't you?"

"I wouldn't call it a reputation Jess, I've had a relationship with a couple of ladies who are still my good friends. I don't want to discuss it any more as it is my personal life we are talking about."

"But..."

"NO Jess, don't be nosey."

We travelled in silence for a while until her curiosity got the better of her.

"Are you still seeing these women Tony?"

"Jess ... butt out."

"I thought so."

I chose to ignore her and changed the subject.

"How is your schooling Jess?"

"I get passes in all subjects."

"Are they 'good' passes or 'just' passes?"

"I could do better but what's the use, I don't want to be a nurse or a typist so the only other jobs are working in a shop. You don't need a good education to do that."

"Jesus Jess, I had you figured out as a bit of a smart kid but now I don't know. Anyone who thinks they don't need an education for a job must be a bit of a klutz."

"And I suppose you have a master's degree in cooking mister smart arse?"

"No Jess, I left school when I was fifteen, I grew up in an orphanage and education was just to minimum standard, kids moved out at sixteen and usually got a job in some low paid occupation. If I had the chance again I would try to get a better education but having said that I'm happy with my job as a cook."

"So, are you going to be a cook in a road camp for the rest of your life?"

I went on to explain my dreams of running a road house and that I was gaining experience while I was building up my bank balance. We continued the rest of the journey talking about the road house.

...

Arriving at the flat Jess unlocked the door and we started to pack what she decided to take.

"That's the bitches stuff Tony, stick it in the rubbish bin, I don't think she will be coming back for it."

"You don't seem to have much respect for your mother Jess."

"She's been cheating on Dad for a long time, I didn't tell him because I knew she would dump him and I'd be left on my own. It happened anyway, I just feel sorry for not telling him."

"I think he knew Jess, Fred told me he was having troubles before this blew up in his face,"

"Yeah, you're probably right, just the same I hate her for what she's done to us."

We finished sorting and packing and then got stuck into the cleaning up. Fortunately her mother was a tidy woman so it didn't take too long. The cleaning finished we packed the ute and took the key around to the landlord. Jess explained what had happened and he seemed quite happy to close the books, he was getting the rest of the month's rent for free.

Driving back to the camp Jess continued trying to find out more about my love life, I think she was just trying to get under my skin so I just ignored her; she soon gave up and we travelled in silence.

...

We arrived back at camp just as Dom was serving the evening meal,

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.