A World Found - Cover

A World Found

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

Chapter 9

Dani had the rooms all ready by the time Iris arrived but Dani was a bit put off when she yelled for Dani to call Mike and tell him and John that she had seen some out of place cars and John and Mike should be on the look out.

Dani called and relayed the message but didn't want to dwell on it as she knew that if there was trouble, Mike and John could handle it. Nor did she want to say what she wanted to, which was, I love you, but that would just have made Mike lose his concentration and that could be dangerous at that time.

Instead Dani concentrated on getting Carol and the kids settled. Peter was doing his best to make sure his little sister was happy even if he was a bit scared too. When the two kids saw Jenny's room, Peter told her that they could get some of the hundreds of boxes of book from the pod outside and put them in her new room. That made Jenny's day and the two went to get the keys from their mother who was looking over her own room.

"Beth, report the situation."

"Charles is on guard on the roof. One camera is up and I have it connected. Dani is now in her office and I was going to go and set a few mag sensors on the windows and doors. When the guys get back we can get the rest of the cams up and Charles off the roof. The fence people are due after lunch and I've been around a few times now and have a good idea of what needs to be where. Mike got a lot that we can use for both outside and in. There's even some infrared sensors and a few other little goodies that will make this place better than our place if we set it up like we have there."

"Interesting idea. Do we have a plan for the fencing line?" asked Iris

"I think so. There's three entry points but one will be an auxiliary and not used much so we don't need to be concerned about it. The Lynnette house will have a secure out but there will be a gated checkpoint into this property. The front will have a double gate but the front will stay open unless there's trouble. The inner gate will be in a closed 40-foot turn around. There can be an on site post to let people in or it can be a call box. There is a good wall around most of the property line but I think Dani is going to need a mason to repair and build it up in a few places. I would still like a second wall or fence and have a dog run but that would leave a lot of running distance. With the size of this place it would be great to even think of using it for a breeding location. It would almost need it just to supply it's own needs for replacements. Plus I don't know how we would work in the two houses in the back or the Lynnette's place.

Dani asked for a flat screen in her office so that she could check the surveillance vids; I think that should be no problem.

There was something that Charles did mention, he saw someone leave the Lynnette's house and he thinks that whoever it was, went to that car we know was parked back that way," Beth finished.

"Ok I'll have to talk to Mrs. Lynnette later and see if she knows anything, but I'll also talk to Dani and get a full rundown on who might be wanting to cause trouble. I think before I do I want to do another recon of the property to get a feel for it, then I'll help you place some more of the sensors."

"You don't need to. I have to get a different master controller. The one Mike got was not quite large enough for the numbers of sensors that I want to place but we have one back at base."

Iris thought for a moment then, "Which direction is the first roof cam?"

"We have it looking to the front of the property. Once the crown cams are up we'll do the corners to get the odd sides." Beth answered

"Then I'm going to recon the main gate that's there now and see if it's salvageable, which I don't think it is. When I'm done with that and a sweep of the front I'll signal Charles to get the other cams up while I continue to check the back and sides. When he's done, then you can get those sensors placed in Ms. Orchard's office. I'll brief her on what's going on and tell her how much this is really going to be."

Beth chuckled but didn't say anything.

"Ok, spit it out. What's funny to you?" asked Iris.

"This isn't the normal way we handle a new client. I don't even think money was mentioned before now but here we are setting up security and surveillance, even rescuing some one and we don't even know if we're getting paid yet." Beth chuckled again.

"It's gone fast that's for sure. And that girl is something else. I don't know what it is but after you meet her you just want to help her out. Even know I ... I don't know there's just something."

"That's an understatement. I had time to talk to her. She has plans for that company she's trying to help. She wants to make this place in to a safe heaven of sorts. Just look what she's done for that Thorton family."

The talk was interrupted by the chirp of the radio, "We have a car coming into the property. Two occupants."

Iris walked out of the work room and Beth checked the monitor. Both watched as Margaret and Josh parked and went into the house.

Iris returned and started rummaging. "I think I'm going to set one of the infrared sensors up at that entrance. Do we have something with a remote alarm that we can use?"

Beth chuckled and handed Iris a tool pack and the sensor pack. Iris too found herself chuckling and left to install the needed hardware.

Dani was in her office when Josh and Margaret returned from Josh's doctor's appointment.

"Josh, Margaret, can I see you for a minute or two?" Called Dani when the two came in the door.

"What's up short stuff?" Asked Josh. Dani could see he had something new; his arm was in a sling.

"Well I wanted to give you a heads up about a few things. First, the security people are here. So things are going to start to get interesting, heck they've already started. Second, Carol and the kids are here. There was trouble last night at her place and she called this morning. Mike and some of the others went to go get them. The guys aren't back yet but I think they were setting up something, just in case. I'll know more when they get back. Third, I wanted to know how things went with the doctor."

Josh looked at his aunt then back to Dani, "Well you've been busy. As far as my arm goes it's mixed. Even though the break isn't completely straight, it's completely healed with enough build up to compensate, that I could go without it being cut and reset. If I did have that done they would also have to put in rods. Total down time though is six months and the arm would be weaker than it is now.

"The doctor did offer a third option. He said it was a new procedure where they slip small strips in along the bone. The Doc said overtime the bone would grow around them. He told it in more detail but I didn't think you wanted that."

"How long would that option put you out of action?" Dani asked.

"Two to three weeks. Even though it will take longer for the extra bone growth but the arm will be better than it is now."

"Then why's it in the arm hammock?"

"Doing too much with it," Stated Margaret. "The doctor was concerned. Josh has been putting too much strain on it. The doctor said three days doing nothing with it but washing it."

Josh frowned as Margaret gave him the look that said she was not to be disobeyed.

"Well, Josh, it would seem that you have some choices to make. But in the mean time I would like you to go peek in on the kids. I need to get a schedule set up with Margaret for meals and some of the other household stuff. So if you haven't guessed I'm kicking you out of my office." Dani finished with a chuckle.

"WELL. And here I was about to tell you that I'm going to do the third option. I have to do something first with the plumbing license and stuff with my father's hearing. So we have it scheduled for three weeks from today." Josh said as he stood.

Dani opened her date book and marked down the information that Josh then supplied about time and place. Then he took himself out to go play with some kids.

Dani waited for the door to close then looked sadly at Margaret.

"Margaret, have you told Mr. Lynnette about me giving you the house?"

"No, I was going to just let it be a surprise. Why?"

"When the security people got here they said there were two cars near the property. One was listed as stolen but the other belongs to that former Children's Services worker. They also told me that your husband was acting a bit strange and sneaking about. Do you have a clue as to why he would be doing that?"

Margaret thought about it for a bit then realized that her husband had been acting strange for a few days. She grew sad thinking that her husband might be doing something that could get them kicked out of their house and jobs.

"Dani I don't know but I will find out. Please just don't..." Margaret said as she started to sniffle.

"Margaret, You will not lose your home. This I promise. But I have too much going on to worry about what trouble he might want to cause. I'm sure I'm not his favorite at the moment for what I did to his brother."

"No I would guess not. He has been up to something but I haven't figured it out yet. I will it's just a matter of time."

"Well with the new people about to turn his neat little grounds upside down with fencing and other little things, I think it will be interesting to see just where he fits in. I'll talk to John and see how he wants to work it. The house will be yours. I just hope he doesn't do something that makes it yours alone. And if he ever raises a hand to you or I find out that he has, you will be moving into this house with me. You're my aunt, you're my family and no one hurts my family."

"That I can tell you he has never done, thank goodness. Your father saw some marks on my arm along time ago and went nuts. Robert had to grab me hard to keep me from falling down the back steps once. The board broke and my heel got caught in it. But my arm was black and blue with in minutes and stayed there for three days. Dani I promise, I'll find out what he's doing and let you know."

"Good. Now we're getting close to lunch time, I don't know when the guys will get back and I don't want anyone to leave without one of the security people with them."

"How many of them are there?"

"There were four that came today. I'm guessing they have others that work for them that are working other jobs at the moment. Since they got here, my head has been full of different ideas."

"I can just imagine. Well I'll have something ready for everyone soon." Margaret said and stood to go. Dani stood and walked around the desk and gave Margaret a big hug, which Margaret returned.

Shortly after lunch Mike called telling Dani that there had been trouble and that Carol was needed back but that John was coming back to get her so that the police could talk with her.

Several things had been damaged and needed to be removed from the house sadly so as not to do further damage so Dani said that she would call some of the volunteers and see if any could help.

Dani was on the phone with Sandy McNarry the lawyer that worked with the group trying to save the company when Iris and Beth walked in.

"Thanks Sandy I know Carol will appreciate it. I can just imagine the bank making a stink of this. She was really scared about something like this happening. I wish she would have called last night. Well I have two of the new people in my office and I have to get Carol ready. Mr. Steiner will be here in about 15 minutes." Dani paused to listen. "Ok and thanks again."

Dani hung up the phone and looked at the two women. "Ms. Hamilton will you find Carol for me? Your boss is coming to get her. The kids will be staying and you can tell Josh he's babysitting." Dani smiled.

Beth laughed, "He's going to love you for that." Then turned and walked out of the office.

"I see Mike called you. John called and gave us a report about what's going on too. He wanted me to talk to you about what all this is going to cost and find out what you want done."

"I almost think it's a bit late for that." Dani giggled. "You and your friends or partners, as it were, have just come in and been working to get my place to a stronger point. I thank you for that, Iris. I really am grateful that you and your team showed up today even if you scared the snot out of me."

"Well we weren't trying to get you we were trying to get Mike. So how should we handle this? Should I just come out and explain what we think you need or should we write up a standard proposal?" Iris started as she took a seat at the desk opposite Dani.

"For my peace of mind and the bookkeeping lets do both. And please include the emergency extraction as well. Later I have some ideas to talk to you and John about. But that's for later for if and when I have everything ready here. Now I know some things have been installed already; roof cameras, something at the road entrance, and the sensors on windows down here on the main floor."

As Dani and Iris started taking about what was needed, wanted and wished for Dani saw Carol walk out the front door with Beth. Not long after that a beeping was heard from a control pad that Iris had letting her know that someone had just come into the driveway.

Dani could see the car come to a stop a few moments later and Carol walk up to it and got in. Dani knew it was John and turn back to talk some more with Iris and was soon joined by Beth.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.