Long Reliever - Cover

Long Reliever

Copyright© 2009 by Tony Stevens

Chapter 15

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 15 - Arlie Stone, a forty-seven year old widower with two kids at home, didn't see himself as a candidate for romance. All he wanted was a mature, reliable nanny to care for his children. While Susan Munger seemed reliable, she was barely twenty-five years old. Their association would change her life -- and Arlie's too.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Slow  

While the American and National League post-season championship series were still in progress, Dan went directly from his son's home in coastal New Jersey to New York City. It was time to see his agent.

Dan's contract was up for renewal and (as the Baltimore Sun had frequently observed during the past season) the veteran pitcher was eligible for free agency. Since Dan's thirty-seventh birthday had recently been observed, there was considerable speculation about his future value.

Everyone conceded that with the Orioles' pitching in considerable disarray and Dan Preston's demonstrated versatility, he might be in for a healthy raise. Most observers expected him to attract substantial attention, should he decide to test the free agent market. For Oriole fans, watching another club steal him away just by throwing money would not be pleasant.

On the other hand, the Orioles' third-place finish in the AL East and the significant decline in attendance over the season suggested that perhaps high-payroll veterans like Dan Preston should be jettisoned in favor of bringing up two or three of those kid pitchers —- the "someday" kids people had been raving about for the past two years. Maybe it was time to let them sink or swim.

Arlie was back in Baltimore with his children, and Susan was meeting Dan in New York for a three-day work-and-play holiday. She would be reviewing the closing chapters of her manuscript with Gwen Riordan, who'd already had a week to go over the work in preparation for the meeting.

Susan's meeting with Riordan and Dan's with his agent had been timed in a manner that would afford the two of them at least two and a half days of free time to enjoy the Big Apple.

They went to lunch together at Tavern on the Green on their first full day in town. Susan had just flown in that morning, and Dan had spent the previous night in the hotel room the two would share for the next two nights.

"I'm seeing Phil Cafferty at three," Dan told her after they'd ordered. "Before that, you and I need to talk. After all, you and I —- our future —- might have some relevance to what happens next in my career."

"I thought you were happy with the Orioles." Susan said.

"I am. I'm very happy. But how happy I am isn't something we want to share with the Orioles' president and general manager. They've got to think that I would mindlessly leap into the free agent market and sign with the Rockies or somebody, just for an extra couple of bucks."

"I'd sure hate to see you leave Baltimore," she said.

"You talk like if I did leave, you couldn't be wedged out of town with a crowbar," Dan said. "How long have you lived there? A year?"

"For well over a year now," she said. "But after all, you're one of the reasons I've liked it there so much."

"Don't be coy, Susan. You know damned well I want you to marry me. Then, figuring out where we'll live could be a joint decision. Like, for example, I imagine that for you, New York would be an ideal place to live because of your writing."

"Yuk! You'd play for the Yankees? I thought you had contempt for them."

"Professional ballplayers seldom allow their contempt to interfere with salary negotiations," Dan said, smiling. "And anyway, there's always the Mets. I've always kinda liked the Mets."

"But, all things being equal, wouldn't you rather stay where you are?"

"Absolutely," he said. "But it remains to be seen, doesn't it, whether all things are going to be equal."

"The Orioles really owe you!" she said with some feeling. "They jerked you around, shifting you from short relief to long relief and then turning you into a starter. They made it tough for you all season!"

"Paul just did what he thought he needed to do for the good of the club. At no point did I have any trouble with that."

"Still, Dan. You're an established player. They owe you."

"I think they're going to come up with a generous offer," Dan said.

"What would that be?"

"I'll know more after I talk to Cafferty," he told her. "But I made four-point-five this year. I'm thinking they should bump me to somewhere close to six."

"Four-point-five?" she said. "Million, you mean? Jesus, Mary and Joseph! I had no idea they were paying you that much!"

"You could have checked it out anytime on the Internet," he said. "It's not any big secret."

"Well, it wasn't the size of your paycheck that interested me the most," she said, smirking.

"I know. It was the content of my character."

"Exactly," Susan said. "That's what I was about to say."

"Anyway, despite my advancing age, I figure they should offer me six mil, or close to it. Or maybe a two-year contract. If they'd give me two years, or three, even, I'd take a little less money annually."

"Is your agent one of those guys I've read about? One of those hard-driving guys?"

"Not so much," Dan said. "Hard-driving isn't my style. But Cafferty's no pussycat, either. Main thing is, he's kind of analytical, you know? Like an accountant. Only he doesn't look like an accountant, he looks like a longshoreman."

"Okay, you said I had something to contribute to this meeting with your agent. You want to know whether I'd follow you anywhere, right? Is that the question?"

"I want to know, are we going to be a married couple? And if we are, how do you feel about my going to another club? And does it make any difference to you which ones I consider? All that stuff. The same questions I have for myself, I need to ask you."

When Susan didn't respond, he continued. "Supposing you just would be miserable living in, say, Philadelphia. I have friends there, and I've never much liked the town when I've visited them. If there are places that you feel that way about, you should tell me."

"If we're going to be married, you mean."

"That's what I mean, yes."

"I wouldn't mind Miami," she said. "That way, when you were on the road, I could trip on down to Coral Gables, get it on with Lars."

"You're a laugh-riot. If you're trying to say something that stings me, you just did."

"Well, hanging with a baseball player can be a real drag," Susan said. "You're constantly catching a plane somewhere for a week or more."

"The reunions can be kind of fun, though. And look at me now. It's the second week in October and I'm, like, the same as retired until mid-February."

"Gwen told me that the publisher is flirting with the idea of getting my book out in time for Christmas."

"Christmas? Is there something in the book about Christmas?"

"No. But they think a holiday release date would help sales."

"When did you hear this? You haven't even met with Gwen yet."

"We're in regular communication," Susan said. "She's already commented on the final chapters I sent up."

"So why are you here?"

"To meet you in New York, mostly. By the way, where are you taking me to dinner tonight that's going to top this place?"

"I was thinking more along the lines of room service," Dan said. "After all, I haven't seen you for a solid week."

"And that's unusual —- because why?"

"Because poking around in Toms River, New Jersey isn't as draining as playing baseball on the road."

"So you're saying you're horny and need draining?"

"That's what I love about you," Dan said. "Your romantic nature. Your prim, delicate way of putting things. You maybe ought to be a writer."

"You've got almost two hours to get to your agent's office," she said. "I'm supposed to meet Gwen in about twenty minutes."

"My car's parked in some overpriced garage in midtown," Dan said. "And it'll stay there until we leave for home. Act like a native New Yorker: go grab a cab."


They met at the hotel just after six p.m. and Susan was stoked. "They're going to run a big first printing and get my novel out by December 9th! I'm even going to have a promotional tour that'll run most of the month."

"Can I go, too?" Dan said.

"Are you kidding? Of course you can! It'll be a blast!"

"Yeah," Dan said, "Imagine! Plane trips to different cities, brief stays, public appearances. It'll be a unique experience."

She punched him hard on the non-pitching arm. "Well, nobody's forcing you to go," Susan said.

"No, no! I'm not complaining. It'll be like a road trip during the season, only when game time comes, I can just stay in the hotel room and take a nap! It'll be like what I've always dreamed a road trip should be!"

"Nonsense. I'll expect you to go with me to all the bookstores and radio stations and sit in a corner somewhere, waiting for me to finish being the center of attention. Hell, we might even include you in the advance advertising. That way, all the baseball nuts will show up to see you, and maybe buy my book!"

"Sorry. It won't work. Outside of metro Baltimore, you'll find that I'm not all that well-known."

"There's one big problem with all this," Susan said. "I'm going to be finking out on Arlie and the kids for a whole month!"

"He's not going to mind. It's the off-season. Arlie's glad to spend the time with his kids. Before you came along, he was with them 24-7 all last winter."

"Yeah, but Christy and Toby kind of like having me around. I think I've spoiled them a little."

"Life is hard," Dan said. "Anyway, in just six weeks or so, they'll be going to California with Arlie to see your mother, and maybe meet one or two of your siblings."

"Arlie's been emailing and calling her a lot," Susan said. "He's still pushing her to marry him."

"And that's a bad thing because... ?"

"Because they're just like us," Susan said. "It's all happening too fast. There's so much room for error. Listen, Dan, marriage is a serious business."

"I'm glad you appreciate that fact," Dan said. "Considering that among the four of us, you're the only one who's never been married."

"I think Mom wants to say 'Yes, '" Susan said.

"So why doesn't she just do it?"

"The usual. Massive trepidation. Concern about big steps in life, the Great Unknown, and so on."

"Not to mention she's just finished raising four brats, and now here comes Arlie with two more who're still living at home."

"It's surprising, but I don't think that's much of a factor," Susan said. "She really liked Christy and Toby a lot and admired how well brought-up they've been. It seems odd, even to me, but I think Arlie's children are a net positive, as far as she's concerned."

"What about the geography? You think she's up for the cross-country move?"

"Dan, she's really ... weary. It's been a long, hard road for her these past ten or eleven years. I think she'd really welcome the change, not to mention the comfort and security of being with Arlie. Actually, I think Mom even feels a little bit, y'know, guilty about craving that: the economic security; the big, pleasant place to live." 


"It's not like Arlie's going to be reluctant to share his life with her."

"Well, I kind of know how she feels," Susan said. "Look at you, wondering whether you'll only get a small bump this coming year in your four-point-five million salary."

"I've still got a half-dollar out of every buck I ever earned," Dan said. "The other half, my ex-wife's got."

"I thought you said you were free of economic obligations to her?"

"I did say that, Susan. And it's true. I'm just making a joke, here. Anyway, who cares how much money I've got? You're going to go on Oprah, and sell a zillion books. That's why I'm trying to hook up with you. For your money!"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.