Aggy- Book 1 - Cover

Aggy- Book 1

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 40

Milligan completed his inspection of the HAC and departed to continue his inspection of the Navy Yard.

The Horde discovered "Offspring". Whenever some of them were at loose ends, they would take "Offspring" for a run out to near space. It would have been hilarious to the Flock, listening to Flag Officers squabbling with Chiefs as to who would be coxswain, except that they were being worked hard whilst intruders were playing with their toy. However the 'put out' feeling was being overwhelmed by their feelings of pride and satisfaction. Compliments and approvals flowed to the Flock from people who obviously did not praise lightly.

After a week of intense interrogation, explanations, recapping and whatever, Rowan called a meeting.

"We are on schedule", he reported. What schedule? The Flock hadn't heard of one. "Time for trials. "Antelope" will come alongside middle watch. The HAC will be moved to her No 3 hold and then we'll repair on board. Aggy, you bunk with me. Your team is assigned to Cabin D15, it's a four bunk. While the trials are in progress the team will be in the control room at all times. You'll be notified of messing by Chief of the Boat."

He then went on to detail the handling crew to put "Offspring" in the tender bay and the HAC into "Antelope". He turned to the Flock

"Expect to be away a week. Hugh has been told. You will be returning in "Offspring" – you've been away for a holiday cruise. You enjoyed it won't you?" smiling evilly at them.

As they walked away after the meeting, Rowan told McCock the reason for "Offspring" in the tender bay,

"You forgot the 'abandon ship' drills. The tender will be a naval craft but the escape procedures still need to be tested." In response to McCock's derisive snort, he elucidated

"Procedures, my lad. Procedures."

The transfer to "Antelope" was not attended by Murphy and she moved out beyond the moon's orbit into the PRD zone for testing, live firing etc for vessels from the Navy Yard. Briefings were held during the voyage out and the testing programmes discussed. When the first exercise was to begin, the Flock was jammed into the control room. They got a shock when they saw on a screen the Project move out of "Antelope". The Project had been molecular sprayed with the Navy white of space going vessels. Cowboy drew their attention to another screen which showed the lower surface. The fairing had been removed and there appeared to be missiles in the tubes.

"Inert. We'll be doing firing runs at drone targets", explained a portly gentleman whose name tag identified him as Commodore Ayers.

The next two days were repeats of the manoeuvring trials including the full power trials. The screens of the HAC's crew showed smiles all around.

The shields were raised and were tested by objects fired from "Antelope" gradually increasing the forces applied up beyond the rated maximum to the test maximum.

Detection trials were performed first with shields down and ballistic. Denny was on "Antelope" bridge with their duty crew plus the Horde's experts. The HAC's small size made her very difficult to detect. With shields and under power, she was still difficult to detect. Against all locating modes, active and passive, the HAC made a comparatively small target. This made her a difficult weapon to defend against on the simulated firing runs.

The "dog fighting" trials using "Offspring" appeared to the Flock to go on far longer than was necessary with heated discussions on which "Antelope's" senior ranks joined the crew of "Offspring"; not that there weren't enough volunteers for the HAC. Commodore Ayers gave the explanation,

"To counter these damned things will require us to have a large number of similar vessels to cover a fleet's near space. The counter will have to be as fast and as agile. With the head start RMN will have in these things, why squander the advantage by not thinking ahead."

He quite spoilt the effect by adding with a wide smile,

"And besides it's the most fun I've had in the Navy since Sandhurst College and there's not many perks left navigating a desk."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.