Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 53: 'Mr Goldstein.'

"Ah Mr. Masaki!" The man behind the counter said in surprisingly fluent Japanese.

Tenchi had never considered himself racist, but hearing his native tongue from an someone of such obvious Jewish origin, without a trace of accent was ... Well, just plain odd. Not that 'it' coming from what appeared to be a floating wooden log was any less strange.

"Or a bronzed, elf eared, blue eyed blond bomb shell for that matter!" He thought with a smile.

"I understand you need some custom sizing of a family heir loom?" Mr. Goldstein asked glancing over his gold spectacles, the picture of polite professionalism.

"Yes." Tenchi answered simply. Reaching into his pocket producing an old felt box, worn almost smooth with the passage of time. That had always 'stuck' a cord within Tenchi knowing its contents had only been replaced within at his mother's request upon her deathbed.

'For our son.' His father had told him. Being among the last words Achika had spoken.

Tenchi felt certain Nobuyuki had carried the small box, until the day he'd placed it within his hand. That alone probably accounted for the worn condition.

"She wanted you to have it." Was all his father would say at the time.

It took an effort, quite unlike any he'd known, placing that little case upon the counter before him. Even more to remain calm while the kindly man opened it, exposing its glittering contents to the light.

As a wedding band it was, he supposed unique. Actually two bands wound around each other. In retrospect of the past five years of his life Tenchi found it ironic indeed he'd never noticed that the tiny ring resembled the branches of a tree. Now he couldn't help wondering what precisely his mother had known about her own origins? Mainly because Noboyuki had told him she had chosen the design.

"Ah." Mr. Goldstein sighed with pleasure. "Such beautiful work, really a credit to my family!"

Tenchi was aware the man was in turn watching him, seeming aware of his tension.

It was only after he smiled that Mr. Goldstein finally took possession of the ring.

"I'm honored that you would entrust it to us again!" He added, nodding sincerely.

"Father said you were the best." Tenchi told him, and it was so.

"Well, it's always a genuine pleasure to examine some of my 'fathers' work!" He sighed. "Do you have the measurements?" He asked. Tenchi started to speak before Mr. Goldstein cut him off with a smile.

"I would hope so!" He paused for effect smile widening. "Otherwise why are you marrying her?"

"Ahem." Tenchi grinned, slightly embarrassed smiling, in spite of himself now that Mr. Goldstein had broken the tension. Producing then from his other pocket a small object, instantly identifiable as...

"Whoa!" The jeweler remarked, eying the unmistakable plaster replica of a woman's finger.

"That's got to be a new one on me!" He added wonderingly. It was easy to tell it was a woman's by the shape and it had a longer nail. Noting that detail always pleased Tenchi as Ryoko had only recently started letting hers grow.

"So? I take it this isn't going to be a surprise?" Goldstein asked.

"Are you kidding?" Tenchi blurted, then caught himself. "No, I just got lucky."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.