Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 35: Ain't no picnic

Their arrival at stair's end was not at all disappointing. As usual, Sasami had pulled out all stops preparing lunch. The largest permanent table in the rest stops area covered with bright linen. Even from where they stood, the aroma was sheer heaven.

"You know Sasami," Kiyone was saying, while Katsuhito and Washu looked on. "You're going to a lot of trouble for just a lunch!" Watching as the second princess was finishing a few last touches with Kiyone holding a box, on which Sasami balanced.

"We don't really need to hang lanterns!" Key added reproachfully.

"But Key!" She wined in response. "Its no real trouble, only takes a second and I want our guests to feel welcome!"

"Hey." Kiyone shrugged. "Suit yourself." Glancing down at where the older woman stood, Sasami took on a speculative look.

"How long do you think he's going to keep avoiding me?" She asked nodding to where Tenchi stood carefully portioning food onto Styrofoam service trays.

Shooting Sasami a look, taking in yet again, the angelic face and emerging figure Kiyone looked back over at Tenchi. Happening to catch him sneaking a glance in their direction. Managing as he did to ladle hot chili sauce on to the back of his hand.

"EEEEEEEYOWWWW!" As he wailed, Key shook her head sadly.

"How's next year's Startica sound?" She replied, causing Sasami to sigh.

(The Jurian summer star festival. (Ref-Daughter of darkness) )

"Why is he making things so difficult?" Sasami murmured angrily. Reacting, Kiyone almost lost her balance. Just managing to keep the box and her-self from tumbling.

"He's making things difficult?" She half stammered. "As I recall, Tenchi wasn't who decided suddenly to play lip-sumo!"

"Well, yeah!" Sasami blushed and fidgeted. "But you gotta admit, he's just so darn dense some times!" As Kiyone nodded begrudgingly, Sasami straitened, staring resolutely at the horizon. "I just wanted to 'clue him' it was time to get with the program!"

"Ahem!" Kiyone bristled tiredly. "A burned match found in a fire place is a clue, Colonel Mustard! Setting the damn house on fire is a little closer to the stunt you pulled!"

"YOU'VE BURNED YOURSELF!!" Ayeka suddenly cried, running to Tenchi's side as they watched. Capturing and fondling his injured limb as well as her own bandaged hands permitted.

"It's not that bad!" Tenchi told her, surrendering his hand. However, his expression clearly displayed mild discomfort at her making such a fuss.

"Don't be a fool!" She gasped passionately. "It will blister! We should put ice on it right now!" Looking around however, only served to remind Ayeka, being this early in the year there was no reason to bring a cooler.

"I said!" Tenchi complained, though raising his voice only slightly. "It's all right!"

He reversed his hand, gently taking hold of her right wrist and lifting. Now looking down, he saw a look of wonder pass across Ayeka's features. Watching as her eyes grew moist making him very uncomfortable.

At some point during the clasping of their hands, she abandoned all thoughts of first aid and instead drew closer. Smiling, sighing as she leaned against him.

"You need to stop worrying about me all the time and take better care of yourself!" He said with some amount of genuine anger.

"Yes sir!" Ayeka whispered, reaching up and brushing some stray hair from his eyes. It was right then, that something just clicked.

Tenchi saw her smile slowly fade away, replaced by a look of astonishment.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked suddenly concerned. Meanwhile the princess's mind was suddenly in a whirl.

"I've never told him how I feel!" Ayeka thought, firmly in the grips of an epiphany. "Ryoko for all her short comings is so unbridled! and Kiyone? much like her! I see it so plainly now!" Realizing, at that point she was staring Ayeka looked away.

"Mihoshi, naïve and innocent! like Sasami! Yet, they speak their hearts as well! and I..." She thought with rising distress. "I refuse to share!"

"Ayeka?" He asked, when she failed to respond.

"Could it be that simple?" She wondered, looking at him anew, this time deeply into his eyes, amazement evident upon her lovely face.

"Uh." He ventured, suddenly feeling uncomfortable with the intensity of her stare.

"No!" She thought suddenly, remembering what Sasami had said, Yet thinking of their confrontation. The words, harsh and horrible flung like knives, lent Ayeka a kind of wild strength, rising from within!

"If I am to lose him," She considered, suddenly resolute. "It will not be because I remained silent!"

"I love you!" She blurted.

"Wha?" Tenchi mouthed stupidly, feeling the hairs rise on back of his neck and a weird fluttering sensation in his chest, as his mind went completely blank.

"Oh gods!" Ayeka then gasped, unbelieving to herself. "I've said it!"

"I," Ayeka stammered hardly believing it was her own voice. "I said, I love you!" Still gazing into her eyes, Tenchi felt the first tremble, saw tears starting to flow.

"I know." He told her gently, suddenly hoping it was the right thing to say.

"Now?" He silently wondered. How could this be the right time? In front of these strangers? To publicly, emotionally disembowel a woman he also...

"Cared." Tenchi amended, firmly if silently. A woman that he 'cared' so deeply for. No, this was not the right moment. He would never disgrace her in such a fashion!

Then, no longer resisting the urge, wanting only to comfort her Tenchi drew the princess to him, wrapping his arms around her shivering form.

"Aww ... Shit. Tenchi..." Key muttered sadly, feeling his pain or at least wishing she could. She glanced around, specifically at Sasami gazing at the scene unfolding. Couldn't these girls see this was ripping him apart?

Melting in his embrace, Ayeka's felt a measure of peace. In Her mind, she had finally said the one thing that mattered, she had come halfway and that was enough, for now.

"Ahhh!" Said a voice to their left, Each relieved in their own way something had broken the moment both Tenchi and Ayeka looked at Andarka. Sitting a few feet away rested her chin on her left hand regarding them. "Love is in the air!" She sighed. With her right hand clasped firmly over Todd's it was obvious she wasn't referring specifically to them.

"This place is truly magical!" She added glancing shyly sideways at Todd who by his beaming expression, clearly seemed to agree. The two had been cozy ever since his fall from the flat bed. Only the large lump, evident on top of his noggin detracted from the picture perfect couple.

"Yeah!" He gushed happily. "Ain't it grand?!"

"Barfaroni!" Yuba grumped under her breath, now dressed again in her scrubs. The rumpled idol singer outfit was back in the caravan, showing additional signs of high mileage. "It may be months past Christmas," She added sourly. "But bah! fuck'n humbug anyway!"

"Uust shut da hell uhp!" Mikito snapped. Thanks largely to an ice pack from the Misaki-kitchen, by this time some of the swelling in her nose had abated.

"Gezz!" Sara swore quietly nodding at Andarka, glancing at each of the girls beside her in turn for confirmation and support.

"She must be really desperate!" she continued to mutter. "I mean come on! Todd Runnion? What a jerk!"

Getting a nod from all except Yoshi, whom quietly turned the lapel of her 'borrowed' coveralls down so Todd's name was no longer visible. She was wondering if they would ever find all her clothes, and there was no way in hell! She was going back into those woods without an escort. Glancing around then she tried snatching yet another quick glance at Ryo-chan.

"Hisssss!" Ryo-Ohki sneered before getting yet another 'bonk'.

"Behave yourself!" Sasami scolded.

"She's really something!" Ben nodding wonderingly at Ryo-chan from some distance away

"Shut your ass Ben!" The producer, slash director, comma 'man at the end of his rope' snapped in response, nervously glancing around.

"Were just lucky Lord Katsuhito doesn't know about all the crap that's gone on!" Wataru grumbled, despondently. "He might just have us all arrested!"

"Now you're overreacting!" Ben laughed.

"How do you figure?" Wataru moaned. "First 'Commander banana' makes me look like a rank amateur in front of the priest!" He continued, nearly wailing. "Then my senior grip gets herself possessed by Janis Joplin!" He paused angrily. "Minus the talented part! Finally! To top it all off the most level headed member of my film crew decides to commune au natural!" Wataru glared at his engineer.

"Now, would you mind rolling THAT back to the part where I'm overreacting please?"

"As to anything which might have occurred." Came a quiet voice from behind them. "There is no need for concern." Both men turn to see Lord Katsuhito walking slowly toward the assembly, Washu and Mayuka in tow.

"I assure you," The elder priest quietly nodded. "Nothing has happened today that shouldn't be chalked up to simple youthful over exuberance."

"Domo! Katsuhito sama!" Wataru gasped, rising only to gratefully bow to his host. "Domo, Arigatou!" Straightening he then shook his head.

"Its just things usually tend to go a little smoother!" He added looking extremely embarrassed. "I have no idea what caused all the weird behavior today."

"It's this place." Washu shrugged, chiming in. "Believe you me, the Masaki bloodline is about the most powerful weird magnet in the known universe!"

Noticeably, Katsuhito cleared his throat shooting her a glance.

"Speaking of which lord Katsuhito?" Ben asked pointing to his immediate left.

"I hope you don't think me rude sir, but what's the story on the little cat girl?"

"Meyow?" Ryo-chan responded ears perking up, literally.

"BEN!" Wataru wheezed, waving his arms.

"What?" Ben asked defensively "I think she's damn cute!" So saying he then waved at Ryo-chan. "Hi ya little cutie!" He added totally unashamed, as Wataru gaped.

"Ah," Katsuhito began solemnly as Ryo-chan blushed. "That is quite a tale."

"Oh boy." Washu smirked, mildly shaking her head.

"Fourteen years ago..." Katsuhito pressed on, seeming at least to ignore her. "On the very night of the summer solstice, We found our young shrine child."

Katsuhito paused suddenly aware that everyone was looking at him.

"Ahem," He continued mildly gesturing down the gentle hill. "Floating out in the center of that very lake." He stopped, grimly noting several individuals in the group, including some family member were looking over at the indicate location. "In a ladies hat box." He finished gravely.

"And all with a straight face..." Tenchi murmured wonderingly, sideways to Ayeka

"With ability to spread such quantities and quality." She drawled under her breath. "Is it any wonder the lands around the shrine are so fertile?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.