Second Age of Discovery: the Explorers - Cover

Second Age of Discovery: the Explorers

Copyright© 2008 by Futurist

Chapter 4

Gunny was bone tired. Three weeks of leading a recon team through Taliban territory in the central Afghanistan Mountains, constantly fearing discovery and death, will do that to a man. Finally, they passed the sentries and were back at the base. He could relax ... as much as he dared, while still in country.

He wearily led his team towards the S-2's bunker, ordered the men to stand easy, and watched as they dropped to the ground like sacks of potatoes. He gave a pleased smile to himself as he noticed that they had retained fields of fire, with both cover and concealment, even here.

Best team I've ever built. Uh oh. A 2nd Lieutenant is new S-2? Jesus Christ on a crutch. Glad Captain Ross got rotated, but I wonder what kind of a fuck up this kid will be?

Gunny kept his dismay off his face as he locked his body at attention facing a twenty-two year old man, who looked barely old enough to shave.

Sourly, the old Corps joke played through his mind, "What's the difference between a Second Lieutenant and a Private First Class? The PFC has been promoted once."

Gunny barked, "Gunnery Sergeant Adams, reporting from recon patrol Beta Gamma, Sir!"

The young Lieutenant stared for a moment then said quietly, "Rest easy Sergeant, you must be tired. I'm Second Lieutenant Brooks. Can I offer you anything?"

Well, well. OCS didn't turn him into a strutting martinet, at least. He might just be trainable. Then aloud, Gunny Adams said, "Thank you, Sir. I could use a cup of coffee, if this is going to take longer than five minutes."

Lieutenant Brooks got up and poured a cup of strong coffee, from the pot on the stand next to his desk.

He offered the coffee to Gunny, smiled a knowing smile, and said, "Oh I'm sure it is, just probably not for the reason you expect."

Puzzled, Gunny Adams took a sip of the steaming coffee and asked, "How's that, Sir?"

Lieutenant Brooks briskly said, "You'd expect after a long successful recon patrol I would want to debrief you on the particulars, right Gunny?

Now, not having any idea what would make the Lieutenant skip SOP, Gunny barely managed to reply, "Uh, yes Sir."

Lieutenant Brooks picked up a remote from his desk, turned on the TV to the Armed Forces Television Network. Before the befuddled Gunny could ask, he answered the unspoken question hanging between them.

"No, Gunny, I haven't lost my mind. Something back home happened. Something earth shattering. I don't know what it means to us, but nothing will ever be the same, again. The Colonel told me you were the one to ask about this."

Gunny started to break in with a question, but the Lieutenant hurriedly pressed on, "No, no questions, yet. Just watch this, and tell me what you think. It's been playing non-stop on every news broadcast and talk show, for the last two days."

Seeing that one of the omnipresent recruiting commercials that were the only form of advertising overseas personnel saw on AFTN was on, Gunny mulled.

What the hell can be more important then debriefing me for the mission my men and me just risked our necks for? What's that old war dog, the Colonel, up to? This better not be another political mess like when Slick Willy got caught lying to a Federal Judge.

Grimly, Gunny remember how the men had wanted to disregard any orders from the then Commander in Chief, as unlawful, coming as they did from a man foresworn of his oath of office.

The recruiting commercial ended, and Gunny stopped his woolgathering instantly. What he saw drew his attention like a magnet. He was so focused on what he was seeing, that he didn't really listen to the sound track. It looked like one of the major network morning shows had come on, but like none he had ever seen before. The whole thing was mixed with special effects. There were people and even vehicles flying about in the skies over New York.

Sudden suspicion dawned. Gunny turned wide eyed to the Lieutenant, and stammering, asked, "Is this real, Sir?"

"As far as anyone can tell, it's as real as a heart attack, Gunny," the Lieutenant replied grimly.

It took Gunny's brain a minute to get restarted. He just turned to stare unseeing at the program, which had just tossed civilization on its ear. Finally, he started to listen, and then look critically at what he was seeing. The Lieutenant left him in silence, until the program started finished. When it started over, the Lieutenant started to speak, but Gunny cut him off.

"Sorry Sir, if you want my opinion I have to see the parts I missed the first time."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.