War Brothers - Cover

War Brothers

Copyright (c) 2008-2009 by BoonDock

Chapter 32: Leaving the Dragon's Wing Inn

I slept very well that night. For some reason I felt safe and secure in the Inn, and S'Alor reaffirmed my feeling but wouldn't go into any specifics when I questioned him. I got the very definite impression though that it had to do with the presence of D'ar'Beth. She was definitely more than she seemed.

I awoke refreshed, with a new energy and a desire to see what the day would bring. I only realized when I thought about it that the previous few days a weight had been building in my mind; a foreboding about the future. I wasn't sure how or what had lifted it, but I was glad it had.

I got cleaned up and, after making sure the others were up and in the process of getting ready, went down for breakfast.

Greta was on duty again, and after greeting me pleasantly, went bustling off to get me my morning meal. The others trickled down one by one, and each seemed content to sit in quiet contemplation once they had all finished eating.

Just as I was starting to wonder whether we would be spending another day or two in the inn, the door opened and Hand Evans entered. He looked vaguely surprised to when I greeted him, and I was curious why when I had thought that he had come to the Inn to collect us, or to task us in some way. After greeting me, he went to the counter and spoke in low tones to Greta, stood and waited for a while. In a few minutes, Daffid came out from the kitchen area and the two of them chatted for a while in quiet tones. I was watching them carefully, as I realized that Hand Evans had some other business in the Inn, and after a few minutes of conversation he looked startled, and turned to stare at me. A few minutes later he left Daffid and came to join us at our table.

"You seem to manage to always be around when important things are happening Cy," Hand Evans commented quietly, once he had taken the first sips of his warm drink. "How does that happen, do you think?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about," I responded, and my puzzlement must have been convincing as he relaxed slightly and leant back in his chair.

"You have no idea?" he asked.

"No. All I know is that we were told to stay in this Inn over-night, which we did. Now I'm waiting for further orders. I thought that was why you were here, to tell the truth. Obviously that's not the case."

"Well, it wasn't. That's changed. Daffid tells me that you met with one of his other guests last night..."

"Yes. With D'ar'Beth. What about her?"

"She's the reason I'm here. She has agreed to travel with us when we leave here. When we first requested her company, she refused point blank, but then she inexplicably changed her mind. Now I've been told that she will travel with you and your Finger."

"Oh. That's a surprise. Why with us?"

"She apparently approves of you. She'll be accompanied by Daffid's daughter, Greta. You are to treat them as guests, but also as part of your finger, if that makes sense."

"No, actually, it doesn't. I'm getting the idea that it doesn't make any difference what I think about this though, what with you being so cagy. Isn't there anything more you can tell me about her?"

"You can ask D'ar'Beth anything you wish. What she chooses to tell you is her business. It's certainly none of mine. I would like to caution you though; be very careful in your dealings with her."

"Oh, I'll be careful all-right. I already realised that she is more than she appears."

"More than you think," Hand Evans replied enigmatically, then he tossed off the last of his drink and stood. "You have the rest of the day to get your stuff together. Do some shopping in the market and get what you think you need. We are getting all the logistics sorted out, and negotiating things like rights of way for our journey. We expect to be able to move out early tomorrow morning. You'll get the call. Expect it soon after midnight. Ok?"

"Yes. That sounds fine."

Hand Evans tuned on his heel and left, rather abruptly I thought, but then figured that he would have many arrangements to make so I suppose it was a little egocentric of me to think so.

Once he was gone, we sat around a while speculating on what we had just been told. Greta came over to our table to clear up, and I asked her whether she was ready to travel.

"I'll have my kit packed and be ready. You won't need to worry about me," was her tart rejoinder.

Having been put firmly in my place by a woman, once again to S'Alor's vast amusement, I decided that we needed to do some practice. I walked over to the counter and called Daffid to ask him if there was somewhere we could use, and he pointed me to a door to the Inn's inner courtyard.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.