Ruth - Cover

Ruth

Copyright© 2008 by Uncle Jim

Chapter 1

We could see a gathering at the end of the street, as we rode into the village. As it was not a large village, they were easily visible. The village had not more than two dozen or so houses plus barns and assorted out buildings. Since no one turned at our approach, they obviously had not heard us.

There was a woman, a girl from her size, tied to a post with cords. Her hands were bound above her head, and secured to the top of the post. A large dark complected man was beating her back and thighs with a piece of cane. We could hear her was screaming and crying, as we rode closer and stopped our horses.

“I hope you have a really good reason for doing that,” I shouted between her screams.

“I do what I please in my village,” the dark complected man stated before he even turned to look at me. His surprise as he turned was obvious. “My Lord, forgive me, I didn’t know it was... !”

“I am not your Lord, fellow,” I said. “I am the Royal Executioner. Your Lord lives in the manor house some half dozen miles from here. Are you the village chief? Have you not been informed of the New Law and Regulations concerning the treatment of slaves?”

“What law, Master Executioner?” he asked.

“The Law that the King issued over six months ago. It has been in effect for over two weeks now. Has the Count not informed you of this?” I demanded.

As I was asking these questions, a new group of riders entered the village from a side road. At their head was a man in the clothes of the nobility, while the rest were light cavalry. As they approached, I recognized the Count from past visits.

“Good day, my Lord Count,” I called. Count Henry was a man of average height, say 5’-8”, around 145 pounds, thin, dark brown to black hair, gray eyes, about 35 years old. He was dressed in blue riding attire and black knee boots.

“Good day, Master Executioner,” the Count replied. Let me say, I am easy to recognize. There are only two types of people in the kingdom who wear black. The religious are one. Executioners and Marshalls are the other, and Priests don’t wear swords.

“To what do we owe this honor?” the Count inquired.

“I’m on an inspection tour for the King. Checking up on compliance with the New Regulations on slaves, my Lord.

“Yes, I’ve been out the last several weeks myself checking on the same thing. We started with the outer most villages, and have been working our way in toward home. We are a bit behind schedule though.”

“Yes, I can understand that, the weather has been rather bad of late. It has delayed me some also,” I acknowledged.

We were interrupted then by an older man with the same dark complexion as the one doing the beating. He was being helped by a young woman, obviously a daughter or daughter-in-law.

“My Lord Count,” he began, “please forgive me. I have not been well of late, or I would have been here to greet you earlier.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, Village Chief. I hope you’re better soon,” the Count replied.

“My Lord, perhaps my companion may be of some assistance. May I introduce Senior Journeyman Physician Estridge, my traveling companion,” I said. Estridge made his bow to the Count from his horse.

“I would be glad to examine him, my Lord. Perhaps inside would be best, also the slave girl. She will need some serious care for her back,” Estridge said.

“Thank you, Master Physician,” the Count said, and gave directions to have the girl taken down. As she was carried past us, she looked up and pleaded with us.

“Please, Master, my baby. Don’t let them harm my baby.”

“Godfrey,” the Count called, “see about her baby also.” Godfrey, the Count’s Lieutenant, was a larger man than the Count: about 6’-1” or so, and a good 190pounds, light brown hair and gray eyes with wide shoulders. He was in a cavalry uniform of blue with yellow trim, and had a saber at his side.

“What exactly is your mission on this inspection tour?” the Count inquired of me.

“The King wanted me to insure that the New Regulations were being enforced. He wanted no repeats of what we had in the capitol shortly before I left.”

“What happened in the capitol?” the Count asked, inquisitively. Many of the villagers had gathered around also to hear what was said.

“Perhaps we should dismount, and have a seat at yonder table, before I begin. All of these people are welcome to listen, as it affects them also, but it is a bit lengthy,” I told him. We adjourned to a table under a large tree at the edge of the square. The crowd had grown considerably by now. All were curious as to what was going on. The cavalrymen cared for the horses.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.