A New Way of Life - Cover

A New Way of Life

Copyright© 2008 by Da Womby

Chapter 4

"A new way of life? We have enough trouble maintaining the old one", replied the Tinker.

"I think that is the point. Too much is lost, you can't maintain a high tech society and platform after the disaster you have suffered from a Coalition of Species Gatherer without outside help."

Dinner that night was more bison steak and vegetables, the Tinker joined us as we ate, but had his own supplies. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen standard years, I don't know how long that would be here."

"I have some advice for you, youngling. The women with you have 3 months to become pregnant after they turn 15, then they are sent out of the village to one of the clans of men. They cannot leave there until they are pregnant, then they must return. It is a hard life for them, but it is the only way to maintain the population levels. This continues every 2 years until they have 5 children. They don't need to be from different fathers, but it is good if they are."

"You do realise my genetics are different from yours. My features are dominant. While offspring, children, of mine will be technically half human, my Elf and L'Dangyi blood would dominate and mix. They would not be human, they would be like me, a new race here."

"This has happened before, the elves were here once, long ago," the Tinker told me, "You need not worry, provisions for them would be made at one of the enclaves."

"I'll think on it, but I suppose I have 3 months to knock-up 3 lovely girls. I'm going to have to meditate on this to change my aura to allow conception. It's one of the first things we are taught."

There was a yell from the village. Two of the men I'd encountered and driven off in the abandoned city were here. They were demanding the girls as capture right. Frank was trying to explain to them that they were now controlled by someone and they had no rights as they weren't able to keep them.

The leader back handed Frank, sending him flying into a building. He landed in an ungainly heap. I didn't like the way his left leg and arm were bent, there wasn't a joint there. Damn.

The two men strode through the village yelling for the girls. Spying me they hesitated a minute then separated. "I call challenge on you for theft. I call challenge on you for murder. I call challenge on you for dishonour" he yelled as he pointed to me.

I turned to the Tinker. "I suppose I have to answer this, what are the rules?"

"You get to pick the place and time within 3 hours, weapons are up to individual choice, but must be hand weapons, nothing projectile. As there are two of them, they will probably attack together."

"Can I wear armour or"

"And the fight is done naked," he spoke over me, "so there can be no cheating."

"Ok." I turned to the leader, I accept the challenge, I choose outside the village and in 10 minutes."

Without another word he and his companion strode out and stripped. I took off my clothes revealing my scrawny, well compared to those giants, body. Carrying my Katana and a combat knife I walked out to meet them.

I drew the Katana and combat knife. The knife was based on an old Bowie knife, large 25 cm blade curved back and sharp on both side. Balanced for fighting, point work, edge, ripping and throwing. It had a huge crosspiece that was a great guard for defence.

My two opponents each drew their swords. They weren't much to look at and after a quick scan, were rusted through. Still, two opponents with a lot more experience than I had could be a problem. I warmed up with a quick Kata and went to guard.

As I expected, the moved to flank me. One behind and left, one front and right to hold my attention. Now this strategy would work for someone reliant on only their eyes, but I did mention I was empowered. Surrounding my self in awareness I relaxed as I had been taught and let my training take over. Against a sword master like my father, I wouldn't get a blow in, wouldn't even get a parry if he didn't allow it. Against these two? It wasn't a fight. I didn't play, I didn't show off, really I didn't, but when two giants attack together in a rehearsed move against a scrawny opponent like me, you don't play, you ... kill.

Seconds after they started to move to attack they were both dead. Sheeet.

There was a stunned silence as I flicked the two blades to clean them. After I finished cleaning them and re-sheathing the Katana and knife, I dressed and went to Frank. As I suspected, he had a broken leg and arm, as well as a nasty gash and bump on his head.

The Tinker came up. "There is a Healer near by, but I doubt he'll live that long."

"Why get a healer ... wait you said Healer. Like you're a Tinker?"

"Of course. When the wizards realised that we couldn't sustain our knowledge, they split it into three. There are the Tinkers, the Smiths and the Healers, who also serve as Justicars."

"Let's get Frank in his house and have a look at him."

Two of the villages carried Frank into his hut while I dressed. I generated a med kit, but felt more was needed here.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.