The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 7

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 7 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

"Is there anything else I may do for you, Master?"

Norlan glanced down at himself and his impeccably neat attire. "Mirror."

The slave quickly retrieved a hand-held mirror with a bright, gold handle. She smiled as she handed it to the Ambassador.

Norlan took it without glancing at her and peered into it. A steady and slightly aloof countenance gazed back at him. He ran his hand along his thin beard and bushy sideburns. He examined his hair, which the slave had just finished brushing into place.

The Ambassador turned to the slave. For a moment, he was at a loss.

Looking at an Oceanus slave was something of a culture shock. The distinct lack of the metal collar and sex-seal was glaring. The former he could become accustomed to -- and after nearly a quarter moon at the Manor, he had to some degree -- but the latter seemed vaguely perverse to him.

Normally, he would show his satisfaction with the traditional promise of unsealing her later for her proper reward. But even the promise of pleasure was moot, since Oceanus slaves -- as alien as it seemed to a Urisi traditionalist -- were actually encouraged to engage in sexual pleasure while alone.

Norlan let out a sigh through his nose and handed the mirror to the slave. "That will be all."

The slave gave him a sunny smile and turned to put the mirror away.

The Ambassador was admittedly at a loss as to why Oceanus slaves were so valued in his nation. Unless it had to do with their obedience. In this he could find no fault. Oceanus slaves were unfailingly obedient, loyal, and happy. It was as if it were bred into them rather than trained.

Urisi slavemasters had decided that it had something to do with the Draught. They had their own version of the formula, but it was much simpler in nature, and did little beyond wiping past memories. The slavemasters suspected the Oceanus Overlords had added something else to make the slaves easier to control.

But if improving their own formula meant doing away with collars, chains, and seals, then Norlan wanted no part of it.


"Amanda, wait!"

Amanda had not expected Sirinna to follow her out of their quarters. She turned and cast an inquisitive look back. Her skin goosepimpled at the cool morning air, but the first rays of morning sunlight touching her back brought warm promise.

"For today's training, Amanda, I think we should do a sort of review."

"A review?"

"Yes, a review," Sirinna repeated, her lips curling into only a ghost of a smile. "And the sooner we start, the better."

"You don't mean this morning, Mistress?"

"Yes, I do, actually."

"But I'm on my way to Master Vanlo. We always do training in the afternoon."

"It's at my discretion. I can decide if you need to train instead."

"But why do I need a review?"

"Just to check if you're ... if you're deficient in any area."

Amanda's eyes widened. "Deficient? Why? Have I done something wrong, Mistress?"

"Well, no, not at all. Not really. I just thought I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't at least check now and then."

Amanda was dubious. Sirinna had never done something like this before. She simply let Amanda use the skills that had already been taught and corrected on an as-needed basis. As good as Amanda was, this was very rare.

Sirinna sensed her Trainee's confusion. "It is just a precaution, nothing more, Amanda," she said, forcing a smile as she cupped Amanda's cheek. "It is not ... I haven't ... there have been no complaints against you, I mean. None that I know about."

"Why would there be, Mistress? I have not been asked to be of anyone's service, except for Lanno." She paused, looking wary. "Did he... ?"

"Not at all," Sirinna said quickly. "But a merchant clan will be headed to the Manor in less than a moon, and it is best that you remain on top of your training, or Master Roquan could see both of us as lacking and pass over us again."

"Wait. Pass over us? Again?"

Sirinna hesitated. "I didn't quite mean it that way."

"No, I think you did, Mistress. What's wrong? Did Master Roquan say something to you?"

Sirinna was too flustered by Amanda's probing to respond immediately. She finally let out a sigh and said quietly, "Not in words."

"I don't understand."

Sirinna voice was pained. "Amanda, you have to learn how to read Master Roquan's actions as well as his words. And that includes the actions he chooses not to make. Like not requesting your services for someone of importance."

It took her only a moment for the pieces to fall into place. "Mistress, are you talking about the Urisi Ambassador?"

"Yes, Amanda," Sirinna said solemnly. "Master Roquan has asked neither of us to..."

"Yes, I know he hasn't, and he thought it ... wait, you mean he didn't say anything to you? He didn't explain why he wasn't picking us?"

Sirinna shook her head. Growing anguish turned to puzzlement. "You mean he said something to you?"

"Of course. I thought he would have explained it to you as well."

Sirinna shook her head again.

"Oh, I guess he was assuming that I would tell you," Amanda lied. More likely Roquan had treated Sirinna as simply "just another slave," and there was no obligation to explain such things to a slave. She tried to hide her irritation. "Master Roquan explained to me that he doesn't like how the Urisi treat slaves. They apparently have a completely different system over there, which is why Master Roquan has never traded with them before."

Sirinna slowly nodded. She had a glimmer of a thought, but words would not give it form before Amanda spoke again.

"He's trying to work out some sort of deal with the Urisi, but he doesn't want to include you or me as part of it. And I wouldn't want either of us to go, Mistress, since it would mean being sent across the ocean."

Sirinna's eyes widened. "The ocean? That's where their country is located?"

Amanda nodded. "Yes. I mean, I know I still have that Farviewing pearl tied to you, but you don't really want me that far away, do you?"

Sirinna let out a troubled sigh and hugged Amanda. "No, of course not..."

Amanda smiled faintly as she hugged Sirinna back. The touch of her lover's body and the scent of the dew on the grasses brought back fond memories. She closed her eyes and saw herself making love with Sirinna under the trees in the park. All the nervousness and exhilaration of her first sexual explorations came back to her in a poignant rush.

She longed for those days again, before things grew so complicated. Before she had made a decision she had now come to doubt.

Sirinna broke off the embrace as the words finally came to her. "Amanda, did Master Roquan explain why he was doing business with the Urisi now when he had avoided it for so long?"

Amanda smiled softly at Sirinna. "Master Roquan doesn't like it either. I think the other Overlords are forcing him to do it."

Sirinna did not quite understand the answer, but she nodded just the same. No further ambition for knowledge came to her. She simply accepted her Overlord's wisdom as she felt she ought.

"Do we still need to do a review, Mistress?" Amanda asked.

Sirinna smiled and caressed Amanda's hair. "No. We can simply continue with the lessons as we have been. But we can do that in the afternoon. You better get going so you are not late for your service to Master Vanlo."

Amanda's smile widened. "Thank you, Mistress."


"So it would appear that my first plan has failed," said the Farview image of Lord Duric K'garon. "But to be honest, I did not hold out high hopes for it."

Roquan nodded once. The Overlord was impressed. Despite the still youthful appearance, Duric had finally shed the aura of immaturity that had afflicted him until the start of the war. Now, Roquan felt, Duric carried himself like a proper Lord.

"Then your diversionary tactics were largely a delaying action?" asked Roquan.

"Sort of. I had hoped to goad Z'haas into a reckless southern thrust. Lord Tarras had agreed to present only minimal resistance. I gambled that the Imperial Legions would advance faster than supplies could keep up, and my army could meet him halfway and cut their numbers."

"But you needed time to build a matching force, did you not?"

"Yes, and as soon as we had one, Z'haas decided to do this instead."

Roquan had been apprised of the westward attack from the Imperial-held territories a few days ago. "He is attempting to cut the mainland territory in two."

Duric nodded. "The original idea was based on the premise that the Emperor would be controlling all Imperial forces personally. As paranoid as he is, it made sense. I had hoped to engage him and give the north a chance to build their armies, and then squeeze the Emperor between us."

"Instead, they will turn northward. Or at least this is what Rennis believes is the reason behind this attack."

Duric smirked. "Overlords taking a lesson in military strategy, are they?"

Roquan allowed himself a smile. Despite the Noble Lord's new-found maturity, he still lapsed into bits of odd humor, though they were no longer the source of irritation they once were. "Can I assume that his assessment is correct, then?"

"Yes, it's a classic flank-securing move. Z'haas obviously had enough sense to put an actual soldier in charge of the soldiers. Unfortunately this means I have to go with my second plan, which is not very attractive."

"Because you have to spare forces to defend the north?"

"Even if I had any, Roquan, I have no means to get them up there. No, the second plan involves sacrificing the north."

Roquan blanched. "You cannot be serious, Duric."

"Hey, I don't like it myself, and I'm the one that came up with it."

"You are talking about letting all of Appalanchia fall to the Emperor! You cannot allow that."

"And what is my alternative? March on the Imperial Palace again?"

"Yes. You said yourself that you are ready to confront them."

Duric shook his head. "I said I was ready to confront them down here, where distance and terrain favors us. If I take the army up there, Z'haas will have the advantage."

Roquan wondered now if the Noble Lord had traded his immaturity for foolhardiness. "The Appalanchian regions are very important, Duric. I do not see how you can speak so easily of abandoning them to their fate."

Duric rubbed his chin thoughtfully. That region did have resources that were important in trade, but not for survival or war. What it had was a large number of Overlord Manors.

"Perhaps you should hear my entire plan before you judge it, Roquan," Duric said carefully.

Roquan frowned deeply, but nodded once, folding his arms tightly across his chest.

"First off, there's no way the Imperial forces can take all of Appalanchia quickly. They will have to settle for the territory to the east of the mountains."

"That is the most critical and most populous section."

"I know. Hear me out. The point is, we have the mountains. It can be a temporary bulwark. The people that live there know them inside and out. Imperial forces do not. They can tie down a good chunk of Imperial Legions in occupation duty by staging raids, or simply frustrate their final advance."

"And then what?" demanded Roquan.

"Then my army moves north and hits the Imperial realm hard. Either we break through and take the Imperial Palace, or we cause the northern campaign to collapse and put Z'haas back on the defensive."

"And meanwhile, we have a great many people forced to tolerate the Emperor's tyrannical rule."

Duric raised his voice. "Not to mention all those Manors, right?"

Roquan's hands gripped opposing arms and squeezed, as if to contain his anger.

"Roquan, we have to think of the big picture here," said Duric. "You said it yourself. The Nobility and the Overlords have to work together. Unfortunately that means sacrifices have to be shared as well. Hellfire, Roquan, Tarras was willing to let his sizable province be overrun. And Handlon is preparing an orderly evacuation of his Palace."

Roquan raised an eyebrow. "Lord Handlon K'yonna?"

"The very same."

"He is still holding out against the western attack?"

Duric grinned impishly. "Holding out? Try kicking the Imperial forces in the pants and you have a good start. The Imperial Legion wasn't prepared for Handlon's forces to make such a good stand in that valley. Might have even held them off another few days if they had not launched that sneaky catapult volley at the start."

"Finally, some good news after all," Roquan said, though the sour tone said otherwise.

"But this is what I mean, Roquan. It's terrain that doesn't favor the soft Imperial forces. They may have at least one good Lord General, but they're still fair-weather soldiers. They're not seasoned yet. I think this plan will work."

"Lord Uras cannot possibly be pleased with this."

Duric smirked. "Oh, he reamed me on it. Never saw the old boy turn that particular shade of red before. But he put me in charge of the Noble Armies, and I have to do whatever it takes to win."

"I just hope that there is something left to actually win in the end."

Duric grinned. "That's what I like about you, Roquan. You're still such an optimist. Good day to you, Overlord."

"Good day, Lord Duric."

Duric's still smiling image faded out.

Mature and wiser he may be, but he is still an insolent whelp. Roquan turned towards the door. "You may enter."

Ambassador Norlan let himself in and clasped his hands behind his back. The muscles along his arms tensed for a moment, and his voice was taut. "Good day, Overlord."

"Apologies for the delay, Ambassador. It was a Farview that I had to take."

Norlan raised a hand in dismissal and shook his head once. "Considering the impasse that we had come to, what is another small delay?"

Roquan's jaw tightened as he caught the very faint hint of sarcasm in the Ambassador's words. He marched to his desk, leaving the air icy in his wake. "Very well, I shall attempt not waste your time any further, since you believe progress to be so lacking."

"I will admit to a hope to seeing some more progress, yes. That does not mean I see the proceedings as a failure. On the contrary, it has been very useful in continuing to highlight the points that need to be addressed."

Roquan picked up a parchment from the desk and turned to face the Ambassador. "I must admit, you have been rather ... unyielding in your position."

"Perhaps that is a matter of perception, my Lord. Some would say the same about your position."

"Like you, for instance."

Norlan smiled. "That is the lot of Ambassadors, Overlord. We are the convenient one to blame when things do not move fast enough to suit one or the other. I simply state perceptions. It is up to us to shape the reality."

Roquan stepped up to Norlan and thrust the parchment at him. "Here is some reality for you, then, Ambassador. As much as I protest how my hand is being forced, I have committed to a number of concessions in order to bring these proceedings to a close."

Norlan took the proffered document. Roquan snatched his hand back and headed away. The Ambassador watched the Overlord's back curiously before dropping his eyes to the parchment.

Roquan folded his arms as the Ambassador read. When it was clear to him that Norlan was reading the same words multiple times, his patience waned. "Really, I would think it quite straightforward. Surely this will satisfy you."

Norlan nodded thoughtfully. "Concession on the use of collars and chains. Concession on re-trading of slave contracts. Concession on some slave re-training."

His eyes roved across the page now for a third time.

"Well? Is this not sufficient to close the deal?" Roquan prompted.

The Ambassador looked up and gave Roquan a small smile. "You are to be commended, Overlord." He stepped up to Roquan and handed the document back. "An excellent start."

"A start? You expect more?"

Norlan laced his fingers together. "My Lord, you have made a great stride in understanding the Urisi culture and mindset. This will truly go a long way towards better and closer ties between our nations once this nasty business of your civil war is resolved. You have started to think in a more worldly manner."

Roquan's eyes hardened. "But what you are saying is that it is not enough!" He tossed the parchment to his desk. "Really, Ambassador, with all your talk of understanding your nation's culture, perhaps it behooves you to understand ours."

"Ah, but I do, Overlord. I have spent a great deal of time studying it once I had heard of my assignment here. And realize that, where I keep company with the High Lords, the Oceanus slave market is always on their lips. I understand a great deal."

"Then you also understand why further concessions are out of the question."

Norlan shook his head. "What I do understand is that other Overlords have made concessions. This shows me that there is a greater flexibility on your side than mine. I wish only for you to have the foresight to do the same."

Roquan stiffened. "Perhaps, then, my philosophy differs from theirs."

Norlan looked thoughtful, then nodded once. "I concede on that point. I do admit that the Urisi sometimes feel as if we are negotiating with lots of little kingdoms rather than one nation."

"Overlords have traditionally been very independent. It is rare that we come together as one, except in times of dire need."

"I suggest, then, that this may be one of those times."

Roquan's gaze narrowed. "I beg your pardon?"

"It is my understanding, Overlord, that your peers require this additional trade to remain solvent during the war if it becomes a protracted one. No matter who prevails in this conflict, it is obvious that internal trade will become disrupted, since merchants do not broker the slave trade, either in terms of merchandise or payment."

"And you point this out in order to force my hand."

Norlan spread his hands and shook his head. "Not at all, Overlord. This is simply the way things are. More reality for you, as it were."

Roquan answered with silence. He had no more words of protest. The Overlords would pressure him to accept the Urisi terms, and the Ambassador was simply stating that he knew this full well.

Sensing a possible victory, Norlan stepped forward and lowered his voice to something more conversational. "Two more concessions, Overlord. Or rather ... more like one and a half. Concede fully on the re-training. And then concede on the use of sex seals. We will concede on full ownership rights, as much as that will chafe the High Lords."

Roquan was shaking his head before Norlan was done. "Absolutely not. My slaves do not require more training..."

"It is merely to educate them in the protocols of..."

"And I do not and will not approve of the use of the seals. It is against everything that my slaves understand. They are taught to revel in their own sexuality. Their very psyche demands it."

One of Norlan's eyebrows rose almost imperceptibly. It was the closest that any Overlord had come to openly admitting the presence of the special ingredient in their Draught.

"Really, Ambassador, if you would think about it for a moment, you would see that this keeps the slave happy and content, and in turn, she is much more motivated to please and remain obedient."

"Ah, but we find our methods to be just as efficient, Overlord." Norlan resisted the urge to add "if not more so." Naturally, the Urisi did it better. Theirs was much more a reward-based system than that of the Overlords.

Norlan owned and traded slaves as well, as many high-born men did, and he rigidly upheld tradition. He unsealed and pleasured his slaves if and only if they had pleased him in return. But he did it every time. Reward always followed good behavior. He never arbitrary withheld it. The system worked for him.

Norlan knew that some Urisi slaveowners could be cruel. They unsealed a slave only on a whim. A few never unsealed them. He understood would be a problem for Oceanus slaves.

"My Lord, I will make one small concession in this matter," Norlan announced. "With regards to the seals, I will stipulate that it must be removed at least once a day for a proscribed period of time to allow for any needed sexual relief."

Roquan sighed. "You do not understand. The mere presence of the infernal thing is an anathema to the slave."

A high-born Urisi would have bristled to hear such a staple of their slave trade so rudely disparaged. Infernal thing, indeed! But as an accomplished Ambassador, it had little effect on Norlan. Yet is still represented an impasse.

"I believe we have made some excellent progress, Overlord," said Norlan. "We are not quite there yet, but we are close."

"It appears to me that we will be there only when I concede on all your remaining points," Roquan said sourly.

"Only one more, Overlord. But I suspect you need time to contemplate. I will partake of a morning meal, a walk, and I will meet with you later if that suits you."

Roquan wanted to say that the only thing that would suit him would be to forget about this deal completely. Yet both of them knew he had little power to do so. "Yes, that will be fine," he said in a curt voice. "Good day to you."

Norlan nodded once. "Good day, Overlord."


Vanlo suppressed a sigh as he held the flask up to the light. Much of the fine, hand-blown glass was so pristine that it sparkled in even the milky late-morning radiance of the skylights. But it was marred by several stains of sinister charcoal black. He reached a spotted finger inside and scraped at one with a nail. It seemed imbued into the very substance of the glass.

"I'm sorry, Master Vanlo," said a chagrined Amanda. "I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed at it, but I can't get those last bits off."

From the doorway, Lanno stood with his arms folded, curious.

Vanlo nodded once and lowered the flask. "You have done well, my dear. It is not your fault. Occasionally, bad reactions will leave a permanent impression upon the vessel."

"Does this mean the experiments are not going well, Master Vanlo?"

"On the contrary, Amanda, failure is progress in this case. It is quite useful for determining what will not work and allow us to narrow the focus on things that potentially will."

Amanda managed a small smile, feeling faintly reassured.

Vanlo handed the flask back to Amanda. "Over in the second cabinet, you will fine a blue sack. There should be a pinkish-purple powder in it. Try applying some of that. Sometimes that will lift the stain out of the essence of the material."

"Right away, Master." Amanda put the flask down by the basin and trotted over to the cabinet.

Vanlo's gaze lingered for another moment. He took a quick, deep breath and headed towards the back room.

Lanno stepped aside for him, still watching Amanda. She returned to the basin with the bag of powder. She glanced his way and gave him a tiny smile. He offered a weak smile in return before heading inside after the older Healer.

He caught Vanlo just as the man sat down heavily before his apparatus. Two more flasks sat with the same charred, coal-black mess inside it that the first had before Amanda had cleaned out all that she could. The outside of one was streaked with ash-like marks, spreading out into what looked very much like a scorch mark on the table itself.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.