The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 38

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 38 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Amanda looked thoughtful as she chewed a piece of fruit. "I think this evening we'll continue with some more geography. You seem to be picking that up really well, probably because you already know the names of most of the major countries and just need to know where they are. Considering it's only been three days since we started, that's pretty good."

Sirinna nodded absently, though she prompted herself to speak when Amanda offered no follow-up. "Master Roquan mentioned many of them at one time or another, probably when he was talking to others while I was nearby. I'm not really supposed to remember those things, though."

"Well, you're not supposed to recall the conversations, but if you hear names often enough, they can't help but stick. That's just how memory works."

Sirinna smiled, though it was weak. She picked unenthusiastically at a piece of bread.

"It was a real help that it turned out you could read."

"Hmm? Oh, yes. Master Rennis taught me. He taught all his slaves. I believe Master Roquan does the same."

"Good, because I wouldn't know where to begin teaching something like that."

Sirinna picked up a piece of fruit, scrutinized it, and put it back down. Amanda lay her hand over Sirinna's before she could withdraw it from the platter. Their eyes met.

"Sirinna, what's wrong?" Amanda asked.

"Wrong? Um, nothing, Amanda, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Are your dreams still bothering you?"

"I still have them, yes. They're ... they're not pleasant. I'm remembering more bits and pieces of what was done to me."

Amanda squeezed Sirinna's hand. "You didn't tell me that."

Sirinna forced a small smile. "It's all right. I don't get as frightened of them anymore, not after I started using the potion that Master Vanlo gave me. I still don't care to remember these things, but at least I don't feel so terrified of them."

"Then what is it? Something is bothering you, I can tell."

Sirinna hesitated. "You're going to think it sounds stupid."

"No, I won't. I don't think anything you tell me is stupid. Please, tell me."

"Well ... ever since I started having these dreams ... ever since I started getting smarter ... It's hard to describe. It's like before any of this happened, I didn't have to think about being happy. It just happened."

Amanda let out a small, sympathetic sigh and squeezed Sirinna's hand again.

"Do you see what I mean, Amanda? It's like I have to work at being happy. I have to remind myself that I have it good here, that I have everything I want. Only ... only it's like I don't, but I have to think that anyway. This is not making any sense, is it?"

Amanda's eyes glistened. She shoved the tray aside and pulled Sirinna into a tight hug. Her eyes blurred with tears. "Gods, Sirinna, I understand more than you realize. It's what I've gone through myself."

Sirinna embraced Amanda. "I've tried to make you happy, Amanda. I never understood why it was so hard for you until now."

Amanda smiled and sniffled once. She broke off the embrace and wiped her eyes. "I have been happy, Sirinna. I do find things that make me happy about being here. You, for one."

Sirinna smiled, a genuine one this time.

"I just can't be happy all the time, sunrise to sunset," said Amanda. "My head just doesn't work that way."

Sirinna's smile faded. "And now mine doesn't either, I guess. Please don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes I wish I hadn't lost that."

Amanda nodded. "I know. I feel a little guilty, like I took something away from you without..."

Sirinna shook her head and caressed Amanda's cheek. "It's not your fault, not from what you explained to me the other day. You had no idea that trying to talk intelligently to me would eventually counter the Draught."

Amanda placed her hand over Sirinna's and closed her eyes, leaning into her lover's touch.

"I'm just afraid of what else might change in me. What else I might lose."

Amanda opened her eyes as Sirinna's hand fell away. "Like what?"

Sirinna was quiet for a moment. "You told me that the Draught also made me want sex more than I would have. Am I going to lose that now?"

Amanda slid closer to Sirinna and placed a hand gently on Sirinna's thigh. "The Draught didn't really make you want it. It made it like you had to have it."

Sirinna gave Amanda a puzzled look.

Amanda slid her hand along the inside of Sirinna's thigh. Sirinna's lips parted, and she let out a small, husky sigh. "It's a little hard to explain, I know. But I never had the Draught, Sirinna, and how much sex have I had?"

"Well, that's true but ... mmm..."

Amanda's fingers had found Sirinna's folds. They became damp and eager as quickly as they had before. "The only difference is that I can go without sex if I really needed to," said Amanda. "But I still enjoy it very much."

Sirinna moaned and panted softly. Amanda giggled and slowly nudged Sirinna onto her back. Her lover's nipples stood taut and erect. She leaned over and kissed one of them, sending a shiver of delight through Sirinna's body.

"Do you want me to stop?" Amanda whispered huskily.

Sirinna shook her head. "No, not at all."

Amanda drew forward. She let out a sigh of desire as Sirinna's hand slipped between her legs, and then a low moan as fingers sank into sensitive, wet flesh. "You're not going to stop wanting sex, Sirinna. You'll just be able to think about things other than sex."

Sirinna pulled Amanda towards her. "Right now I don't want to think about those other things. Just keep going..."

Amanda giggled again. "We never finished breakfast."

"It can wait. I need you. I need this bit of happiness."

Amanda descended on Sirinna. Their lips met in a tender kiss.


Mage Q'kollan offered a bow of his head and a small smile as he stepped into the chamber. "Ah, so I actually find the Guildmaster in his office for once."

Uroddus rose from his seat and offered a smile in return. "I had heard a similar complaint from the other Mages as well," he said as he stepped out from behind the desk.

"But if that is the worst of their complaints thus far, I would say things are going well."

"I simply do not wish to be bound to this office. I feel that, in time, it would leave me very much out of touch with the rest of the Guild."

"Personally, Guildmaster, I believe your approach is the correct one," said Q'kollan. "That was Q'ixanna's problem. He felt he had to maintain an adversarial relationship with the Mage Elders. They grew so used to it that when you introduce something so radically new, it throws them off. They will come around."

Uroddus wanted to be the complete antithesis of the former Guildmaster in every way possible. He spent his days directly overseeing the efforts to both assist the Noble Lords and prepare the Guild to do full time research on the foreign Portal technology. "I am very grateful to you, Q'kollan. You cannot imagine how helpful you have been in assisting me with this enormous task, especially in dealing with the other Mage Elders."

Q'kollan nodded. "There definitely is a lot of grumbling going on. When you ask them to reopen a discipline that was widely ridiculed a century ago, you are bound to get some resistance."

"I expected as such. Which reminds me, has the other task been completed yet?"

"Ah, yes." Q'kollan withdrew a scroll from his robe and presented it to the Guildmaster. "After some careful analysis and impromptu testing, the Mage Elders will agree to recommend Mastership for four of the Empiricists."

Uroddus took the scroll and opened it. Katla was one of the four so identified. "It really ought to be more, Q'kollan. I can think of at least four more that are deserving."

"It is within your power as Guildmaster to decree it," Q'kollan said mildly. "That is your right granted to you in the Charter. Only you can convey Mastership. The Mage Elders can only make recommendations."

Uroddus was already shaking his head as he rolled up the scroll. "No. I wish to work with the Mage Elders and not against or above them. If I am to get these other Masterships awarded, it will be through persuasion with logic and facts."

Q'kollan smiled. "That, my dear Guildmaster, was the right answer."

Uroddus returned a faint smile of his own. "Have the Portals been readied for the next round of transports?"

"Yes, and that should commence very shortly. We hope that by dusk we will have a Mage assigned to every Noble Lord palace. A few Mage Elders have volunteered to go themselves. I see this as a positive sign that your leadership has been accepted." Q'kollan paused and smiled. "Or, they are simply glad they need not worry about playing political games here and can actually do real magic once more."

Uroddus was quite pleased. Q'kollan had spent several candlemarks on Uroddus' first full day as Guildmaster explaining how politics worked at the Guild. It was a constant struggle and competition for influence, and being away from it for too long often meant surrendering all the gains made. It locked the Mage Elders into remaining at the Guild rather than going abroad to do the work many truly wished to do.

Now that they had a Guildmaster who rejected politics and insisted on treating everyone on merit, the need for political games was gone. So Uroddus hoped.

"Realize, however, Guildmaster, that there is tremendous momentum to be overcome," Q'kollan explained. "And some will be suspicious of your motives at first." He pointed to the scroll. "This was seen at first as a means of planting Empiricists into positions of potential power, which is why they were reluctant to judge on merit. And which is why your decision not to declare Mastership by fiat was correct."

"Right now, my main concern is the threat to Oceanus."

"And that is in the back of the mind of every Mage Elder. You have the crisis working for you. Keep showing your support for them, and your willingness to listen to them, and you will make this position yours."

Uroddus thought it faintly ironic. It was high praise for something that he had not wanted in the first place. Now that he had it, however, there was a glimmer of hope that he could help mold the Guild into what he felt it should be. He could not consider stepping aside.

His youth was not lost on him. Mages could potentially live over one hundred years. Uroddus could hold this position for a very long time. Would it be enough, he wondered, to make a permanent impression on the Guild such that the next Guildmaster would carry the same vision forward? Or would he become like Q'ixanna, and refuse to give up the post because he felt anyone else would lead the Guild to ruin?

Focus on the present, he scolded himself. Do not worry about history that has yet to be written.

"If there is nothing else, I wish to head to the experimental magic chambers," said Uroddus. "We are setting up a lab to begin initial research into the mind magicks."

"Please let me know when that is done, I would be most interested in seeing it," Q'kollan said.

Uroddus looked thoughtful. "I believe you were one of the more vocal opponents of reopening research into that area when it was proposed a few years ago."

Q'kollan smiled. "All the more reason I wish to see it. If I am going to be proven wrong, I might as well get a leg up on what will be considered right."


Lord Duric carefully guided his horse around the periphery of his army as they broke camp. He noticed a recurring pattern. The men seemed to work harder as he came into view. He might have attributed this to a simple "don't let the boss see you slacking" mentality, but his men actually waved as he passed, and when he dared to turn his head and look back at them after he had passed, they continued to work harder.

The other day, Duric had lamented privately to Lord Tarras that he felt renewed anxieties about taking the throne. Tarras had accused him of underestimating his inspirational power. Duric had quietly dismissed this allegation, but now he wondered if there was a ring of truth to it. He did not want dwell upon it. Lesser men had let their ambitions run away with them when they believed they had power invested in them from the people. He did not want to make that same mistake.

As he approached the forward ranks of his army, where the men were lining up for their continued march northward, a soldier galloped towards him from the road ahead. Duric spurred his horse and met him just at the edge of the road.

"My Lord! I have news from the scouts," the soldier called out as he drew his horse alongside Duric. "Imperial patrol spotted, less than one league ahead."

"Where are they camped?"

"In a small hamlet just off the main road. They have a Mage-ward at the edge of the road to alert them of anything that passes."

"Was any attempt made to disable it?"

"No, my Lord, the scouts feared that it would trigger a warning to the patrol. They thought best to leave it and report to you."

Duric nodded. He had what he considered his best men on scouting duty. He trusted their judgment. "Are there any turnoffs from the main road we can take?"

"There is one major intersection, my Lord, but that would take us due west. According to the map, there is not another major road headed north in less than a day's travel."

"Which would put us too far to the southwest of the Imperial Palace."

"There is a lesser-used road, my Lord, that extends north a much shorter distance away, but it is not properly leveled or graded."

"Which means we would send up so much dust on our march, the patrol could see us anyway. Very well. We're only two days from the Imperial border. That we managed this far without discovery is extremely lucky. I will not push it."

"Shall I summon the regimental commanders for you, my Lord?"

"Yes. We will make haste now that we no longer need to approach in stealth." Duric smiled. "This is it, soldier. Wish us good hunting and good fortune."

The soldier smiled in return. "Yes, my Lord, of course!" He spurred his horse with almost vicious eagerness and galloped away.

Lord Duric lingered at the front of the nearly formed column. He shaded his eyes from the rising morning sun. One by one, the regiments rose up in a loud cheer, lifting their weapons or fists into the air as word reached them of the impending engagement. Duric's heart swelled with pride at the enthusiasm of his men.


Emperor Z'haas burst out of the situation room, nearly bowling over the guard that was still opening its heavy door. Mage Q'holan stumbled over the guard's feet in his attempt to keep pace with his enraged Emperor.

"How was Duric allowed to get this close before we saw him?" Z'haas shouted, his voice echoing down the corridor.

"I am sorry, my Emperor!" Q'holan cried helplessly. "We simply have not had good intelligence from that area for some time. The towns are loyal to the Nobility and keep uncovering our agents, and our patrols cannot extend much further than..."

"No, Q'holan, it is not to the Noble Lords that they pledge themselves, it is to Lord Duric," Z'haas snarled. "Another self-styled messiah. Just like Roquan before him. People follow them like lambs to slaughter. If that is the case, I will provide the slaughter!"

He stopped and whirled about. Q'holan nearly ran into him, and then wished he could run away when he saw the bloodthirsty look on the Emperor's face.

"Contact the Lord Admiral. Tell his fleet to open fire at once. Tell him to rain death upon Duric's army."

The Mage looked stricken. "My Emperor, the fleet you requested of him is still at least three days from arrival."

The Emperor's eyes widened in shock. Q'holan had reminded the Emperor on several occasions. Lord Admiral Vortas had reminded the Emperor as well. Yet he knew it would be useless to attempt to convince the Emperor that he had indeed been informed every step of the way.

The timing was awful. Q'holan was still beside himself at the news of the sudden political shift back at the Guild and the death of Q'yros. His mind was simply not on his duties to the Emperor.

"Duric's army will be at the border in two! What am I to do if I cannot use the navy to reduce his strength?"

"Recall Lord General Rithas, my Emperor. Did you not tell him to keep himself in reserve? He has kept station just past the northern border waiting for your command."

Z'haas paused, his eyes growing distant as if he were struggling to remember. Finally, he nodded slowly. "Yes, that's right. Yes, I will summon him at once. I will order him to the defense of the Palace! He will defend it to the last man if needed!"

"My Emperor, we can also engage the enemy early," Q'holan ventured. "Send the legions south and meet him before he reaches the border."

Z'haas stared at his Mage in horror. "Are you mad? I refuse to leave even one scrap of land undefended! What if he is planning a second attack from another direction? What if he is fomenting rebellion on our own lands? We must be alert for an attack from anywhere. They cannot do that if I foolishly send them beyond my borders!"

"Yes, my Emperor, of course," Q'holan said with chagrin.

"I will contact Lord Admiral Vortas as well. I will have his ships where I want them if he wishes to keep his title and his head!"

Z'haas spun around and stormed away from the hapless Mage. Q'holan let out a noisy sigh in the Emperor's wake.

He had resolved to Farview the Mage Guild that evening. He was going to beg to be let out of his contact. He could not remain in this Palace for another day. If the Guild refused to hear of it, he would find another means to leave and show up on their doorstep. If they still refused, he would become Rogue sooner than he would return to the Imperial Palace and continue working for a madman.


"I do not know if this should be a concern, Roquan," said the somber and haggard Farview form of Uridon. "But I pledged to relay any information to you that may be of importance. Our sister sea-merchant clan reported to us that there has been major fleet movement in the Imperial Navy. Three fleets are in motion. Two of them appear headed towards the eastern seaboard of the mainland continent, possible converging on the Imperial lands."

"That information is better suited for Lord Duric's ears, Clan Leader," said Roquan.

Uridon nodded. "And I have already informed him. But the third fleet, Roquan, is also making full sail for the mainland, but your island appears to be directly in its path."

Roquan considered. "It is more likely we just happen to be along their course. Or perhaps they intend to stop in port for supplies."

"Yes, that would be the case if we were dealing with a rational Emperor. But the Emperor may hold a grudge against you, especially if he sees you as a primary cause of this war."

Roquan frowned. "The Emperor would truly be insane if he believes his officers would carry out any order of violence against an Overlord Manor."

"At this point, Overlord, I cannot put anything past the Emperor."

"How far away is the fleet, Uridon?"

"Just under a half-moon. Our sister clan has promised to monitor it, and for only a very nominal fee. Apparently they, too, are resentful of the trade treaty that Z'haas forged with the Urisi allowing their merchants unfettered access to Imperial markets."

Roquan nodded and let out a small sigh. "To be frank, I hope this comes to nothing. This would be one thing too many for me to deal with. I have no resources to protect this Manor from such an incursion, nor to move the slaves to someplace safe."

Uridon frowned. "If the Emperor begins using the navy in this manner in earnest, Roquan, than no place will be safe. I fully intend to remind the commander of that fleet that the Ne'land clan will take a dim view on any sort of military action against a Manor. But there is one possible out. When I spoke with Duric, he informed me his army is two days from engagement."

"Finally," Roquan said in a low, relieved voice. "Now it will be over soon. The madness will end."

Uridon nodded in earnest. "I truly hope so. I have seen ... and experienced ... far more death than I wish to in this lifetime."


Rithas felt something very much like relief soon after the Farview image of the Emperor had vanished. Finally, the order had come. Finally, he could begin.

For the past few days he had been forced to move his legion further north of the border in continued support of Commander Foron's advance. Each day that passed was a greater chance for someone to discover the discrepancy between the disposition of his legion told to Commander Foron as compared to the one told to the Emperor. Neither was quite the truth, which caused him further friction with his adjuncts.

And now to hear that Duric's army was detected only two days from the border! He had hoped for more lead time. Now his legion would have to make haste to prevent Duric from gaining too much advantage.

His plan was clear: let Duric and Z'haas' forces exhaust each other at the gates of the Imperial Palace before his legion descended upon them. Rithas would report to the Palace and quietly dispatch Z'haas and claim the throne. Then his legion would join the others and throw Duric back.

That was the hard part. The rest he felt was easy. Once the legions from north of the pass had been recalled, he would launch a massive invasion of the south, overrunning the remnants of Duric's army, and reunite a large swathe of Oceanus under his banner. Then taking the north would be almost an afterthought.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.