The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 36

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 36 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Jollis stopped at the top of the stairs and looked up. The temple stood in sharp relief against the deep twilight sky. The torches cast their soft glow upon the thick white columns that rose as silent sentinels on either side of the wide entrance. Over the crackle of the flames could be heard the ethereal sound of chanting drifting to him from inside the temple. He had changed to a simple robe, nearly identical those worn by the Cohorts. The trappings of title and social class were abandoned upon entering this holy place, for it mattered not when standing before the gods.

Jollis walked towards the entrance and was inside before he could reconsider.

The soft chanting echoed hauntingly from the high balconies and resonated under the vaulted ceiling, creating a somber atmosphere despite the uplifting message of its words sung in the more ancient language of his people. He lifted his eyes, his eyes gliding over the murals that depicted the beautiful green fields of the Inonni vision of the afterlife, and then the faces of the young men whose voices sung in uplifting harmony.

Jollis lowered his eyes, and made pains not to look directly ahead of him. Instead, he glanced to either side, where tall statues depicting each of the six gods of the Inonni pantheon stood as silent guardians, three on each side. Each represented a different facet of the human experience. Surrounding each were concentric semicircles of kneeing benches, where Devotees to that particular god could arrange themselves in prayer.

Jollis was not ready for this yet. Now he was forced to direct his gaze towards the other end of the temple. There, elevated from the floor on a wide dais, and cordoned off with a small, low fence of wrought iron, rose the statue of the Goddess of the Inonni.

The Goddess was The Mystery. She was attired in the translucent veils of a Companion, yet she carried a staff that symbolized power. She stood without pretense or airs, yet exquisite gems ringed her ankles and wrists. She was dazzlingly beautiful, yet her face betrayed a vast intelligence. She was unapproachable to males, as only females could connect to her and ever hope to understand her. Even then, only the few, the Priestesses, would come close.

Jollis advanced to the fence and knelt before it. He bowed his head and waited.

After some time had passed, a hidden door behind the great statue opened. A woman emerged. Her feet were bare and padded silently across the stone floor of the temple. Yet Jollis heard her, as the jewels about her ankles and wrists made a gentle sound. Her veils swirled around her feet.

She stood alongside Jollis, observing him. She brushed a few strands of deep brown hair from her sharply green eyes and spoke in a lilting voice. "What is it you seek of the Goddess?"

"To be Purified so that I may conduct my Devotions with a clear mind and pure heart," intoned Jollis, his voice quavering nervously.

"Rise."

Jollis let out a breath and stood. Almost reluctantly he lifted his eyes to the elegant young woman's face.

The Priestess appeared to assess Jollis. He tried to contain his anxiety. It was believed that the Goddess worked directly through the Priestesses, thus it was nerve-wracking to some to be scrutinized in any manner by one of them.

The Priestess cradled one of Jollis' cheeks in her hand. "Your mind is in torment," she said softly. "You have a great fear. It has weighed on you heavily for some time."

Jollis' legs grew weak. The gift of insight of these women was astonishing to behold, no matter how many times he had seen it.

She lowered her hand. "What is your name?"

"Jollis."

"Ah. Wanderer. Yes, it makes sense. I am Jeresa. Come with me."

Jollis' heart pounded as he followed Jeresa around the side of the statue. Never had a Purification so terrified him. He was worried if he could arouse himself sufficiently to join with her.

Jeresa led him down a dark staircase into the earth beneath the chamber. The temple building itself had been rebuilt several times in his long history. The first time was from its razing during the violent war just prior to Enlightenment. The subsequent times were simply to combat the ravages of erosion and age.

This section, however, was the most ancient and had changed little. It had been given new purpose after Enlightenment. Its former use was a dungeon to torture non-believers into believers. Now it was a means of voluntarily reaffirming and rejoicing in belief. The corridors were roughly-hewn and dank, purposely left this way as a reminder of the foolishness of their ancestors. But when Jeresa opened a metal door and led Jollis into the room beyond, it was like stepping into another world.

The chamber was small and cozy. Torches cast a subdued and almost romantic light. A depression near one end of the chamber was lined with thick furs and cushions. Around the edge, candles burned and emitted soft fragrance. At the other end was a small altar, and behind it was another statue representing the Goddess. Before the altar was a padded kneeler.

Jeresa turned to Jollis. "To bare your soul to the Goddess, you must first bare your body to her as well, and let her judge."

His hands trembled as he sought to undo the belt holding his robe closed. Jeresa stood with her hands on her hips, her eyes held as if in appraisal as the robe slipped from his body, leaving him naked and feeling helpless.

"To be Purified, you must first show your Devotion," Jeresa continued. "It must be given freely, and with no reward for yourself. Are you willing to do this?"

"Yes, I am."

Jeresa stepped lithely to the altar and sat upon it, facing Jollis. She pulled her robe up, exposing first her long, graceful legs, and then her lightly furred sex. She spread her thighs. Her folds glistened faintly.

Jollis could not recall ever being this nervous, or feeling that every movement he made was being judged. His heart pounded so powerfully that his chest ached. He knelt before this representative of the Goddess and drew himself towards her sex.

His trembling hands slid over the insides of her thighs as his tongue found her womanhood and worked it as skillfully and gently as he could. Her wetness soon flowed freely, growing slick over his tongue, until she was panting lightly. To his surprise, he felt a stirring between his own legs. He remembered now. Something about this Devotion was an intensely arousing act, and before long, his manhood pulsed and quivered, straining with the need for relief.

Jeresa leaned back, moaning softly. He tried not to quicken the pace too soon, as anxious as he was to continue. Her moans escalated, her thighs tensing. Suddenly she tilted her head back and let out a short cry. Her orgasm throbbed in her sex and into her spirit, opening her to her gift.

She let out a satisfied sigh as Jollis drew back. "The Goddess is pleased," she said in a breathy voice. "We will now commence with your Purification."


The great doors opened. All eyes turned. There were several soft exclamations of surprise. Even Uroddus looked on in macabre wonder.

Q'yros had worsened since Uroddus had last seen him. He hobbled past the doors with his back stooped, his staff trembling each time he planted it on the floor and leaned much of his weight on it.

Assisting him was a tall and slender woman with nearly white hair tied into a tight ponytail behind her head. She wore flowing Healer's robes, and her expression vacillated between deep concern whenever she looked at Q'yros and disdain whenever she looked up towards the Mage Elders.

Silence fell as Q'yros was helped towards the table of Mage Elders. Q'land stepped before them. "Please, Tallia, if you would take him to the podium instead? We do not have accommodations for him at the table."

Guild Hall Healer Tallia G'jossa gave Q'land a withering look and led Q'yros to the podium. He wheezed from the effort, and took a few tries before he could grasp the side of the podium with his free hand. His other hand remained curled tightly around his staff.

Tallia turned to the Mage Elders. "For the record, I protest this in the extreme," she said in clipped tones. "This Mage is in no condition to be subjected to such stress. I will be lodging a formal protest with the Healer Guild."

She turned on her heel and headed to a nearby seat. Q'land looked uncomfortable. Behind him, from the chair, Q'ixanna looked squarely at Q'yros, a small smile on his lips.

"Mage Elder Q'yros, are you aware of why you are here?" asked Q'land.

Q'yros' fingers tightened around the edge of the podium. "Yes, I am," he said in a voice like old parchment.

"I will read each of the charges in order. Respond 'aye' if the charge has merit, 'nay' if it does not." He lifted the scroll and opened it. "One: That he forced a competent and healthy Mage Elder into retirement against his will and for no justifiable reason. How do you vote?"

Q'yros clutched his staff, his hand shaking. His mouth worked for a few moments before any sound came forth. "Nay."

"Two: That he willfully withheld information critical to both the business of the Guild and to the security of Oceanus. How do you vote?"

Q'yros clenched his teeth. He glared at the Guildmaster, his eyes like icicles. "Nay."

Katla thumped her hand on the table in frustration. Murmuring broke out briefly. Several Mage Elders uttered exclamations of frustration. Q'kollan stared at Q'yros and frowned.

Q'land waited for the din to subside. He took a deep breath. "Three: That he has acted in an exceedingly authoritarian manner well beyond what is prudent and expected in running the Mage Guild. How do you vote?"

Q'yros' labored breathing was the only sound in the tense silence. He swayed, his staff slipping momentarily with as badly as the hand that held it shook. Tallia frowned and leaned forward, as if ready to bolt to Q'yros' side. The old Mage's hands tightened until the joints audibly popped. His lips trembled. He stared hard at the Guildmaster, his eyes betraying now equal amounts of hatred and fear.

Q'ixanna rose from his seat. "Well, Mage Elder Q'yros?" his voice boomed into the unnatural quiet. "What say you? How to you vote? Come, come, speak up!"

Q'yros stared hard into the eyes of the Guildmaster. Perhaps something passed between the two ancient Mages, for the Guildmaster seemed to recoil slightly, as if having seen something that frightened him. At the same time, Q'yros' face changed. The fear in his eyes vanished. The icy look of loathing faded. His face radiated an almost angelic state of calm, and in his eyes was a look of finality and acceptance. His cracked lips curled into a smile.

"You lose," he said.

Q'ixanna stared. "I beg your pardon?"

Q'yros turned to Q'land. "My vote ... is 'aye.'"

The old Mage's face contorted. His staff clattered to the floor. He let out a strangled cry and collapsed beside it. His body curled up and convulsed violently. He let out a thin moan and was suddenly still.

Several Mage Elders leapt to their feet and gathered around the fallen Mage. One had already grabbed his hand, faint blue light glowing from the point of contact as he attempted to inject some of his own magical energy into Q'yros to revive him.

From the chair, Q'ixanna could only stare.

"One side! ONE SIDE!" Tallia shouted, pushing aside Mage Elders. She fell to her knees beside Q'yros. She felt his wrist, then placed a hand near his chest, and then near his mouth. Finally she drew back with a sigh and placed her hand on that of the other Mage. "Stop. There's no point. He's dead."

A shocked gasp rippled through the Mage Elders.

Tallia pulled her hand away. She flinched as something similar to a small electric shock passed through her fingers. The Mage Elder was similarly looking at his own hand in bemusement.

Tallia frowned. "Get back, everyone," she called out. "I said get back!"

The Mage Elders retreated. The Healer turned Q'yros' body onto its back. She hovered her hand over his heart, then over his head. She took his hand in hers, paused, then let it go. There was a brief crackle of dark energy.

Tallia stood. "I want this Mage's body taken to my office at once."

"What?" a Mage Elder called out. "If he is dead, we must observe the traditional rite of..."

"Not until I investigate the cause of death."

"What is there to investigate?" Q'ixanna shouted. "He was an old Mage! He died from natural causes!"

Tallia narrowed her eyes. "There is an odd magical charge on his body, Guildmaster. It is not simply his residual magical energies, or it would not have reacted as it did. I am bound by Healer and Mage law to conduct an investigation. This will not take long."

"I forbid it!" Q'ixanna bellowed.

Several Mage Elders reacted in utter shock. Dead silence fell over the chamber.

Tallia's voice frosted the air. "I do not recognize your authority to deny me. You have a protest, take it up with the Guild Hall."

The Guildmaster opened his mouth, but the Healer had already turned away from him. She summoned several Mages from the observers to help her carry the body out of the court chamber. Q'ixanna clenched his hands into fists and retreated to his chair.

"In the interests of expediency," announced Q'land in a shaky voice. "Court will remain in session. I ask that no one leave this chamber save for Tallia and the Mages assisting her."

Uroddus looked away as Q'yros' body passed. As he turned his gaze to Katla, he caught her wiping her eyes. Seeing his attention on her, she flushed pink and cleared her throat awkwardly. "An i-interesting development, I would say," she said, her voice quavering badly despite her valiant attempt to remain calm."

Uroddus had no response. He looked up again, towards Q'ixanna. He aborted the calculation in his head. He couldn't rely on the numbers anymore. Whatever he did next, it would be out of feeling and instinct rather than logic.


It was said that the position one took in the Purification joining was very telling. The Priestess let the supplicant choose. Supposedly, a submissive position on one's back indicated a need for guidance. A more dominating position on top indicated a need to reaffirm what had already been decided.

Jollis had chosen to lie on his back.

Jeresa was extremely skilled. Most Priestesses had been Companions for a long time. She drew out his pleasure to such lengths that were this another setting, he would have begged for release. Perhaps that he did not was being judged as well.

Jeresa seemed to enter a trance halfway through their lovemaking, ending only when she let out a short cry at the peak of her pleasure. Jollis was so enamored of watching her that he did not realize how far along he was himself. His own climax surprised him, and seemed strangely muted for such an intense tryst.

Jeresa parted from him, the jewels on her wrists and ankles clacking softly. She rolled onto her back and closed her eyes. She remained still for what seemed to Jollis an eternity. He did not dare disturb her for fear of ruining her vision.

"The one that is crucial to your success," Jeresa finally said. "Your thoughts weigh very heavily on her."

Jollis let out a small sigh. "Yes."

"She is everything. She is the foundation. Without her, everything collapses."

Jollis said nothing. He could only keep agreeing with her.

"She was a cog. A cypher. A piece of a puzzle. A pawn to move about the board. But you have moved beyond that."

Jollis was puzzled. Move beyond? Why would he have need to do such a thing?

She opened her eyes and smiled. "You see her for what she is. For what she should be. You have nothing to fear."

Jollis stared, dumbfounded. "Forgive me, but I do not understand. It is my feelings for her that get in the way."

"No. It is your refusal to accept them that gets in the way. Accept them. Understand the reality. Then move beyond it."

Jollis sighed. "I cannot move beyond it. My thoughts of her will cloud my judgment. They..."

Jeresa drew herself over him, draping her body partially over his. "You confuse what constitutes good judgment. You fail to see how your feelings for her have been a great strength."

"I have made decisions based upon my feelings for her."

"Yes, you have. This was the right thing to do. That is your confusion. Look back at the points where you made some decision based on your feelings for her. Step away from it. Look at it from the outside. Now imagine how events would have transpired had you acted differently. Would the outcome have been significantly better?"

Jollis thought hard. He thought back to his previous plans, when he had nearly brought both sides of the war into a bloody, chaotic conflict and how his words of advice to Amanda had been the cause of its downfall. Then he imagined the war starting at that moment. "The margin for success would have been a little higher."

"A little higher. And how does that compare with the consequences had success been achieved?"

Jollis tried to come up with an outcome that would prove that the plan would have succeeded. His eyes suddenly widened in shock.

He had overlooked something extraordinarily critical. Had the war commenced and the Imperial legions routed Duric's army and chased the remnants back to his base camp, Amanda could have been in grave danger. But because of his advice to her, because she helped stop the war and force Jollis to consider a the new plan, her safety was vastly increased.

And thus Jollis was enlightened.

"Do you see now, Wanderer?"

Jollis slowly nodded. "Yes, I do." He let out a deep sigh, feeling the tension melt away for the first time in several moons. "I have been an utter fool. It is my feelings for her that keep her well and safe, and allow her to fulfill the ultimate plan. I have made the right decisions, but simply have not allowed myself to feel confident that I was correct."

Jeresa caressed his cheek. "You are no fool, Jollis. For only the fool refuses to learn." She kissed him softly and rose to her feet. "Your soul has been Purified. Make Devotions to the gods that will best guide your path. You go with the blessing of the Goddess."

Jollis rose, feeling confident for the first time since his arrival in Inonnus. He bowed deeply to Jeresa. "I am honored far more than I could ever express in words. Thank you."

Jeresa bowed as well, and smiled.


The din of conversation in the court chamber faded in the wake of Tallia's footfalls as she walked with purposeful strides towards the Mage Elders. By the time she reached the curving table, the chamber was once again silent. It was only when she stood before the assembled crowd that they could see she held something in one hand, something round and covered with a piece of cloth.

Q'land met her, and the two exchanged a very brief, whispered conversation. Q'land nodded and gestured towards the podium. He took position front and center as Tallia ascended the dais and stood before the Mage Elders and the Guildmaster, looking every bit as unperturbed as Roquan had. She placed the covered orb upon the podium, holding it in place with one hand.

"We are reconvened," said Q'land in a steadier voice, though his eyes shimmered. "Healer Tallia G'jossa, have you established a cause of death?"

"I have established the immediate cause of death, Mage Elder Q'land," Tallia announced in hard tones, her eyes narrowed, her lips drawn into an intense frown. Several Mage Elders appeared anxious, having themselves been subjected to that scowl when Tallia was distinctly upset about something.

"And is it natural causes as the Guildmaster suggested?"

Anger flashed in Tallia's eyes. "It most certainly is not."

Several exclamations of surprise and shock rippled through the room.

"Please! Please!" Q'land called out. He let out a breath. "Healer, please explain your findings to the court."

"Mage Q'yros was subjected to a horrible wasting process that was magical in origin."

Q'land's eyes widened. "A wasting process? I'm afraid I don't understand!"

"There is magical energy accumulated in his body that is not his own. It does not bear his biomagical signature. It is incompatible with his life energies, and thus corrupted them and drained them from his body."

Several Mage Elders were in an uproar.

"Enough!" Q'land shouted. "For the love of the gods, let her finish!"

"There is enough in his body that it must have been going on for some time," continued Tallia. "So much that it should have killed him before this day, but he kept himself alive despite it, so he knew something was happening to him."

Q'land was beside himself, clutching tightly at the scroll in his hand like a lifeline. "But h-how do you know this?"

"I unsealed his quarters and found this within." She slipped a hand under the orb and yanked the cloth off with the other. Several Mage Elders recognized the charred Mage glass for what it was and gasped. Q'land and many of the observers assembled were confused.

Uroddus simply nodded.

"I'm sorry, but ... what is it?" Q'land asked.

"A Life Orb," Tallia said. "Something that no Mage would normally fool with, though I suspect Q'yros was skilled enough to actually pull it off right. One stores magical energy in it over time, and then releases it into his body to replenish life force that has been weakened from illness. Some Mages use this to keep themselves alive in the face of incurable cancer. I need not tell you what they used them for in ancient days. But you can do as much damage to yourself as you can good."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.