The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 35

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 35 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Amanda opened her eyes to a velvet sky growing lighter with the approach of the dawn. A cool breeze blew in the window, chilling her despite the furs drawn over her body. She slipped out of bed and padded over to the window. She gazed over the calm waters of the ocean to the west of the Manor's island and sighed. The ocean seemed symbolic of how she was feeling: far from anything familiar. She might as well be standing in the middle of nowhere.

She unrolled the blinds to block out some of the air. As she turned away, she heard faint giggling. At least two of the Narlassi girls were awake. She heard more giggling, and then soft moans. She shook her head and went back to bed, intending to sleep for a bit more before Sirinna came to get her when the sun rose.

A sudden, shrill scream from Sirinna's chamber jolted her back to alertness.

Amanda bolted out of bed and raced across the chamber. She burst past the curtain just as a second scream rent the morning air, and stopped dead in shock. Sirinna was backed up against the wall behind her bed, her knees drawn up to her body. She was shaking so hard that the bed rattled. Behind errant strands of hair, her eyes stared in stark terror.

Amanda broke out of her shock and rushed to Sirinna's side. "Sirinna! What's the matter? What is it?"

Sirinna recoiled in panic and covered her head with her arms. "Please! No! Stop it! No more! It hurts! IT HURTS!"

"What hurts? What is it?" Amanda looked around frantically, as if expecting to find some terrifying monster or psychotic killer in the room. Instead all she saw were the bemused Narlassi girls standing at the doors to the chambers, looking on in confusion.

"Please! No! Stop! Leave me alone!"

"Sirinna, there's nothing there! What is... ?"

Sirinna tucked her head lower and rocked back and forth. Her voice became something between a whimper and a cry. "Please ... no more ... hurts too much ... please daddy ... don't..."

Amanda gasped. "Oh no ... oh gods ... Sirinna, p-please, wake up. It's just a dream. It's not happening."

Slowly, Sirinna became still. She raised her head and blinked in confusion. She looked first at the Narlassi girls, then at Amanda. Finally, her eyes filled with tears and she let out a keening wail. Amanda pulled Sirinna towards her and hugged her tightly. Tears splashed against her shoulder.

"It's okay now," Amanda said as soothingly as she could, though her own voice was quavering as well.

"Amanda, I'm sorry, I didn't do what you told me!" Sirinna wailed. "I tried not to remember anything, I really tried, I really t-tried..."

She broke down into hysterical sobs, clutching at Amanda, her body shaking. Amanda closed her own eyes tightly, but tears leaked from them as well. "Shh, it's all right. I-It will be all right. I'll take you to Master Vanlo."

Sirinna tried to shake her head against Amanda's shoulder. "N-no..."

"You have to, Sirinna, please."

"Master R-Roquan ... have to take care of the girls ... have to ... have to have something to do, Amanda ... can't be useless ... can't just be a slave..."

Amanda's eyes opened. WHAT did she just say?

Sirinna dissolved into tears again.

"Sirinna, it's okay. Master Roquan won't be upset with you, I promise. I won't let him," Amanda said. "But you're going to Master Vanlo, or I'm going to bring him here, and that's final."

Sirinna let out a long sigh and finally said in a tiny voice, "All right."


Vanlo gestured to Lanno. "Come with me for a moment, please."

Lanno nodded quickly and left Sirinna's side. Amanda glanced at the two of them with a frown and began to follow.

Vanlo turned. "Amanda, please stay with Sirinna, I would prefer she not be alone right now."

"But you gave her the sedative and she's all but asleep now," Amanda said shrilly. "And I want to hear what you have to say about her!"

"The sedative may not take completely in her current mental state. I need you there to comfort her if she wakes and grows anxious."

"But..."

"I will not argue this point with you, Amanda. Do as I tell you."

Vanlo left the treatment room without another word and to the reception area. Lanno cast a sympathetic look at an indignant Amanda before following the elder Healer. Amanda was even more incensed when Vanlo drew the curtain closed across the adjoining doorway. The curtain was spelled to prevent sound from traveling through or around it, specifically to afford privacy if needed.

Vanlo turned and pointed to the door to the outside. "If you would, Lanno."

Lanno nodded and closed the door, indicating that they were not yet open for general business that morning. "So what's happened with her?"

"Do you need to ask?" Vanlo said, folding his hands before him.

Lanno sighed. "I suppose not. So what triggered her memories?"

"It is likely multiple causes. Just making her aware of the fact that she has memories that were repressed could have been the start."

"Well, she always knew that she had a Draught that removed her memories, Vanlo."

"Yes, but she never dwelt on it until Amanda made a point of talking about it."

Lanno frowned. "Now wait a moment, Vanlo, you can't say this is Amanda's fault."

Vanlo gave Lanno a stern look. "For once, Lanno, curb your emotionalism and your knee-jerk reactions. It certainly was not intentional on her part, and she had little idea that it would lead to this. And she assures me that she has been actively dissuading Sirinna from attempting to recover her memories ever since she learned from Overlord Rennis about her unfortunate childhood."

"So what happened? What went wrong? Sirinna should have simply done what she was told, right? Or at least did it in deference to Amanda."

Vanlo stroked his beard thoughtfully. "It appears that it is not just her memory that is coming back, but her intelligence as well. I would guess that it was actually her intelligence that was being exercised by Amanda well before her memories emerged. The fact that Amanda was so eager to have the counter-agent given to Sirinna suggests that she has been trying to engage Sirinna in more intellectual stimulation."

"Now, hold on," said Lanno. "Overlords have been using this Draught for two centuries. In all that time something like this has never happened before?"

"On the contrary, I imagine is has, but simply has not been recorded," said Vanlo. "Think for a moment. Would it be in the best interests of an Overlord to admit that the Draught may not work as effectively as they had thought?"

Lanno sighed and nodded. "I suppose you're right. I guess I keep assuming that most Overlords have as high a sense of ethics as Roquan."

"I have heard anecdotes of slaves that have been given more education reporting strange dreams or brief images flitting through the heads that seem familiar. So it is likely that it has been happening and the connection was never made. No record is generally kept of what a Captive's life was like before coming to the Manor. There is no way to know whether they were flickers of past memories or simply random imagery."

Lanno folded his arms and looked towards the curtained entrance to the treatment room. He felt another surge of sympathy for Amanda and the urge to go back inside and comfort her. "So now what?" he asked, turning his gaze back to the older Healer. "Now what do we do?"

"I do not know. I can give her the standard tinctures used to treat nightmares, but it will not suppress the underlying memories. I will be treating the symptoms and not the illness. Except that this is technically not an illness."

Lanno looked thoughtful. "How about giving her the Draught again? No, wait, that would wipe her mind of all her experiences to date, dammit. Any way that you could..."

There was a gentle knock at the door before Roquan allowed himself in. He paused upon seeing both Vanlo and Lanno in the reception area.

"Your timing is impeccable, your Lordship," Vanlo said.

"Is there a problem?" said Roquan.

"Sirinna is remembering her past and has had a traumatic episode as a result."

Roquan looked alarmed. "Is she all right?"

"For the moment. She is sedated and Amanda is with her."

Roquan let out a sigh and looked towards the treatment room. "Hellfire," he muttered. "Can I see her, Vanlo?"

"Not just yet. I wish to see if she remains calm after coming out of the sedation," said Vanlo. "Did you come for another reason, your Lordship?"

"Yes, but I believe I ought to do this alone and leave you here in light of what has happened."

Lanno raised an eyebrow. "Leave him here? Were you intending to have Vanlo go someplace?"

"I do not believe I am up to travel of any sort these days, your Lordship," Vanlo said.

"It would have been by Portal. Apparently the Mage Guild wishes testimony on Jollis' visit. They are seeking proof of this new Portal technology. I was intending to have you come along with me to furnish your view of events. We would be back by evening."

"The Mage Guild?" Lanno said in surprise. "I'm not so sure I'd want to go there."

"Really, your concern is misplaced, Lanno," said Vanlo. "It is actually a rather pleasant place filled with learned men. And quite peaceful and quiet most times."

"You've been there before, Vanlo?" Roquan asked.

A tiny smile graced the Healer's lips. He stroked his beard idly. "I did a small bit of Healer work there, yes. But I would rather not leave under the circumstances. Surely they would take the word of an Overlord? Or I could provide information by Farview if it is so critically needed."

"It will have to do. I would rather you be here, as much confidence as I have in Lanno."

"No insult taken here, my Lord," Lanno said. "This stuff about memories and the Draught is over my head. I'd just as soon have Vanlo here as well."

"Very well, I will go alone. I do not like leaving under the circumstances either, but Mage Q'garra was quite adamant that this was critical."

"I should not need you for anything, your Lordship," said Vanlo. "I will give you a full report when you return."

Roquan nodded once and left.


Visitors of any kind to the Mage Guild were a rare occurrence. It was not so much the Guild being insular as it was that many were intimidated by so much power concentrated in one place. It was an almost instinctual fear, hence calling an outsider in to testify at a court proceeding was even more rare.

Overlord Roquan D'ronstaq, however, was not an average person. When the great double doors opened, he strode confidently into the hall, his even, steel-like gaze never wavering as he walked with crisp footfalls towards the podium. He gave the assembled Mage Elders barely a glance, and then only to bow his head as he took his place before them.

He settled his hands gently along the sides of the podium and greeted their inquisitive and assessing looks with a level, cool gaze of his own.

Q'land rose. "I am Mage Elder Q'land. I am spokesperson for the Mage Elders. Please state your name and title for the record."

"Roquan D'ronstaq," he said smoothly. "Overlord."

"We are given to understand, Overlord, that you witnessed not one but two Portals open without the aid of a focus."

"To clarify, I witnessed the second actually open before me. The first was opened in my absence, but was detected by my Healer."

There was an exchange of looks among the other Mage Elders. "Forgive me, Overlord, but did you say your Healer detected it?"

"Yes. He is a Portal sensitive. He detected the Portal opening and summoned me immediately."

"And can he tell the difference between one that is opened without a focus and one that is?"

"No. But in the time between when it opened and when I arrived, there would have been no time for an abettor to have escaped and removed the evidence of a focusing pearl. However, the second Portal was indeed witnessed by me. It opened directly in front of me, and at no time was a focusing pearl being held by the one that summoned it."

Murmuring broke out among the Mage Elders. Q'land waited for it to pass before continuing. "Could not the person have had the focusing pearl in his pocket?"

A Mage Elder rose. "Now, one moment, Q'land, you know perfectly well that..."

Q'land waved him silent before turning back to Roquan. "Well, Overlord?"

"As I am sure your colleague was about to state," began Roquan, "it is well know that a focusing pearl is held away from the body for reasons of safety. It would be excessively dangerous to leave it close to one's person, as the energies of the Portal can be deadly if encountered before the Portal has stabilized."

Several Mage Elders nodded, clearly impressed with Roquan's knowledge of Portal mechanics.

Q'kollan rose. "I have a question for the Overlord. Are you quite sure of the time that elapsed between when the first Portal was opened and when you arrived at the scene?"

"Quite sure, Mage Elder," said Roquan. "The distance from his quarters and mine is quite short."

"And you do realize, Overlord, that Portal sensitivity is a very rare trait, even among Mages? And your Healer possesses it?"

"Yes, I understand this. But the fact of the matter is that he does have this trait."

"Then if he supposedly has this wondrous trait, Overlord," Q'ixanna's voice rang out. "Why is he not here with you now to testify on his own behalf?"

Roquan turned his gaze to the Guildmaster. "He has a critical patient he cannot leave. He is willing to give testimony via Farview if needed."

"Which prevents us from testing him to validate your claim!"

Roquan eyes became ice. "Are you questioning my truthfulness in this matter, Guildmaster?"

"I most certainly am!" Q'ixanna left the chair. "I find this all very convenient! You just happen to come along as a witness to prove this Empircist's insane theories. You just happen to have a Healer that has Portal sensitivity to warn you of this supposed invader in your Manor."

Roquan frowned. "With all due respect, Guildmaster, I have no reason to lie for a Mage or for anyone else."

"Not even to support a play for power or influence?"

"I have zero interest in whatever politics you play at the Guild Hall. I reject your accusation and challenge you to prove it. If you cannot, I respectfully request that you drop your insulting attitude towards me."

"Enough!" Q'land declared, interposing himself between the two of them.

"I must admit that the Guildmaster has a point," said Q'kollan. "Not that the Overlord is lying, of course, but there are varying degrees of Portal sensitivity. Then there are people that believe they have it but do not, and are simply detecting some other side-effect that may or may not be present at all times."

Q'land nodded and turned to Roquan. "Overlord, is there any way of having your Healer come to the Guild Hall?"

Roquan sighed. "I am sorry. But unless you can delay these proceedings a few days, there is no way Vanlo will be available."

There was a sudden stir among the assembled Mages. One of the rose to his feet. "Overlord, did ... did you say your Healer's name was Vanlo?"

"Yes, I did. Vanlo G'tort."

The Mage's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open. He turned to Q'land. "I vouch for the integrity of the Overlord's Healer right now. His word is beyond reproach in my mind."

Another Mage Elder rose. "I second that."

And another. "Here, here!"

Roquan raised an eyebrow, but made no other overt reaction.

Q'kollan looked quite nonplussed. Other Mage Elders were now staring at him, as if defying him to call it into question. He glanced towards the Guildmaster, then looked back at the Overlord. "Yes, well," he finally said in a subdued voice. "I believe I withdraw my statement doubting the statements of the Overlord's Healer."

"Well, I do not!" the Guildmaster shouted. "Stop treating the man as if he were one of the gods sent from the sky!"

"It is not up to you, Guildmaster, it is up to us!" one of the Mage Elders declared. "If the Council is willing to accept this testimony, then it will stand!"

"And I would remind you that you were one of the Mages whose life he saved when..." began another.

"And that has no bearing on these proceedings!" Q'ixanna exclaimed. "What he has done in the past means nothing now!"

Several Mage Elders looked quite askance, a few giving Q'ixanna a look of disgust.

"Guildmaster, you are free to question the witness further if you..." Q'land began.

Q'ixanna approached the table and pointed an accusing finger directly at the Overlord. "I know your kind, Overlord, do not think that I am fooled. Do not think I have not heard about you from the Emperor! Oh, yes, that's right, he's told me all about you. How you fomented rebellion in his own Palace, how you browbeat the Noble Lords into starting this war, how you have ambitions well beyond your own station. And this is just more of the same! Another little grab for power! How much were you promised, Overlord, to say these lies before the Mage Elders?"

"Guildmaster! That is uncalled for!" a Mage Elder called out.

"Really, Guildmaster, this is quite unnecessary," said Q'land. "Surely you..."

Roquan held up a hand. Q'land paused, then to the surprise of the observers, went quiet. The Overlord looked squarely at the Guildmaster. "I am sure you have heard a great many things from the Emperor. I refuse to be baited by them. I have no cause to defend myself against these accusations. If you believe them to have merit in these proceedings, then I put it to you to offer proof of my supposed machinations and duplicity. Then I will answer them, and not a moment before."

Q'ixanna's teeth clenched in frustration. He thumped his fist on the table again and turned away.

"Does anyone else have any further questions for this witness?" Q'land asked.

There was no answer. A few Mage Elders shook their heads. Q'kollan looked intensely thoughtful, then shook his head as well. His eyes were troubled.

"Very well. Overlord, you are dismissed. You may freely utilize our Portal to return to your Manor."

Roquan bowed his head and left the podium.

"I believe we should call for a recess," Q'land said. "We will reconvene after the midday meal."


Vanlo placed a hand on Sirinna's shoulder and smiled. "Feeling a bit better, my dear?"

Sirinna nodded and managed a weak smile. She sat on the edge of the treatment table, looking a bit harried with a somewhat haunted look to her eyes, but otherwise in a much calmer state. She looked around. "Where's Amanda?"

"She is back in your quarters," said Vanlo. "She needs to look after the four Narlassi girls in your absence."

Sirinna's eyes widened, and she tried to stand. "Master Vanlo, I need to go back to them. Master Roquan entrusted them to me."

Vanlo squeezed her shoulder and gently pushed her back down. "You need to stay here for a little while longer, Sirinna. Amanda has things well in hand at the moment."

"But ... but Master Roquan..."

"He is the one that wished this arrangement until he returns."

Sirinna's eyes shimmered. She took a deep breath and let it go as a shaky sigh.

"This is no reflection on you, Sirinna. His Lordship simply wished to see to it that you are well and calm before you return."

"I-I barely remember what happened, Master Vanlo. All I really remember is being really scared. I've never been like that before."

"Do you remember what it was that triggered this fright?"

Sirinna shivered. "Only tiny bits, Master. It was like someone was hurting me and I couldn't figure out why." She lifted her eyes to his. "Is this about what I overheard Master Rennis say once, about me being abused before I was taken to Narlass? Is that what I am remembering?"

Vanlo paused, stroking his beard thoughtfully. "It is quite possible, yes."

Sirinna's lips parted. "But that's not what Amanda told me!"

Vanlo suppressed a sigh. It was obvious that Amanda had tried everything she could to dissuade Sirinna from trying to remember her past. Unfortunately she had erred in lying to Sirinna.

It was also clear to the Healer now that Sirinna's intelligence was increasing. She saw the contradiction in Amanda's words, and she set upon the path to truth on her own. "Amanda made a mistake," Vanlo said gently. "She is not versed in these matters, but she tries her best. Please do not hold it against her."

Sirinna's mind was in a tumult. All she could see was that Amanda had deliberately kept something from her. She did not believe it was a simple mistake. Amanda had known the truth, but now Vanlo was trying to say otherwise. He was compounding a lie with another.

Sirinna could not help but ask herself how many other lies had she been told? She immediately felt a surge of guilt. Why should it matter? She was a slave and was told what she needed to hear and nothing more. Then she thought that Roquan had lied to her, and that he truly did not trust her anymore to fulfill her slave duties. Then she felt even worse guilt over thinking ill of her Master and owner.

Sirinna finally placed a hand to her cheek and shook her head. "Master, I don't know what I'm supposed to think anymore. Please, where is Master Roquan? He can tell me what I'm supposed to do."

Vanlo heard the sheer desperation in her voice. "He will be returning shortly, my dear, and I imagine he will be anxious to see you when he does."

Sirinna swallowed and nodded. For the first time since she had been a Captive, she felt lost. Nothing was clear to her anymore. She needed Roquan to reassure her of her purpose and her importance. She wondered if he would punish her for her doubts.

For a very brief moment, images of the way she had been "punished" in her nightmare flitted through her head. She shuddered violently.


Half a world away, the ruddy light of sunset bathed the bed chamber in a crimson radiance. Bare skin glowed under embers of sun fire, as if mirroring the rise of Shella's pleasure as her body rocked under Jollis' thrusts.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.