The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 32

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 32 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

"And this, " declared the Mage Elder, brandishing a parchment, "is the most damning evidence of the lot!"

"And just why is that so?" demanded another Mage Elder.

"Because it very clearly states the conclusion of this research, that Portals can be opened without the need of a focus."

"With all due respect, the conclusion means nothing if it is based on a nonsensical premise! The very idea that memories could be read and implanted within a Portal matrix must be the most far-fetched..."

The first Mage slammed the parchment down on the table. "That is not the point! The point is that the theory that was proposed, even before this conclusion was reached, is important enough to have demanded dissemination to..."

"Oh, and now you contradict yourself. First you state that the conclusion is most damning, and now you state the theory itself is!"

The first Mage shook a warning finger at the second. "Don't you dare argue semantics with me! I'll remind you that I was the one that taught you remedial rune interpretation before you could make your Mastership!"

"Now that was uncalled for and is hardly relevant to these proceedings!"

A third Mage, one of the few female Mage Elders, rose. "The both of you are ignoring a very simple fact, one that goes to the heart of the matter. The fact remains that there existed artifacts of a Portal device of a very unusual nature. This alone, I feel, proves the charge."

"Excellent point!" cried the first. He wagged his finger at the other again. "See? See? Can you refute that? Never mind the conclusion then! The very fact that these artifacts existed without the rest of us knowing is an unconscionable breach of ethics!"

The second Mage sighed and frowned. "I have to admit, you have a point. If for no other reason that those of sound mind can research this and refute this ludicrous..."

"Oh, now, hang on! Are you implying that Q'yros is mentally unstable? I'll have none of that talk."

"I said no such thing!" the second bellowed. He snatched a parchment from the table and shook it in his fist. "This is not even Q'yros' handwriting. In fact, I demand to know who it was that wrote these notes. This argument means nothing if we do not know that."

Q'ixanna leapt from his chair. "I submit to the court that if this was not the work of a Mage Elder, of someone with experience and knowledge, that it be declared immediately inadmissible. You cannot base your charge of suppression of information if that information is not sound. I would be justified in suppressing something that I felt was a waste of everyone's time!"

A few heads around the table nodded.

Uroddus sighed and shifted in his seat. He had no idea who had copied his notes. A debate raged in his head on what he should do. He could claim authorship of the original, but he could not tell how his notes were distributed.

"I have no witness for this testimony," Q'land stated. "None have come forward, and no one at the table has claimed authorship."

"Then I move for a vote now," Q'ixanna said. "Vote and move on!"

"Here, here!" said the second Mage.

"Hang on," said the first. "Q'land, someone is hiding something. Someone at this table or in this hall wrote this."

The second Mage was incensed. "Are you accusing the Mage Elders of deliberately..."

"Enough!" Q'land declared. He turned to the first. "What is it you wish?"

"I wish you to cast Pall of Truth and..."

There was an immediate and loud uproar from most of the Mage Elders.

" ... put the question to the hall for the author of these notes to come forward!" the Mage shouted over the din.

Q'land thrust both hands into the air. The gong-like sound was loud enough to shake the rafters. While the general uproar calmed, several Mage Elders vociferously voiced protest.

"Hear me! Hear me out!" yelled the first Mage. "Read these notes again. If even a fraction of what is written here is true, the implications are staggering! And I remind you all that we do know that Portals from an unknown power were indeed opened into Oceanus on many occasions. Many of us were called to investigate them. If there is even the slightest possibility that these Portals pose a grave threat to this nation, then the suppression of any information about them, no matter how small, is an act of unparalleled negligence! I am well within my rights to demand the Pall of Truth."

Several Mages shot him very nasty looks, but no one openly opposed him. Q'land let out a sigh. "Very well. If there are no objections..."

"Q'land, you are not going to seriously entertain this absurd notion!" the Guildmaster exploded.

"We require the truth, Guildmaster," Q'land declared, though his voice was shaky. "I will do it. Now, everyone, please, quiet! I need to concentrate."

Uroddus let out a nervous breath. Very few spells could force anyone to do anything without the discipline of mind magick. Pall of Truth was the closest Magery came to such a thing.

Pall of Truth did not actually compel. What it did was make life difficult for someone that evaded the truth. If someone under the general area of effect of the spell refused to disclose the truth, it visited that Mage with a "pall," which is a Mage term describing an energy field that interfered with proper use of magic. Thus the spell did not force truth so much as threaten dire consequences if one did not express the truth.

Q'land performed a rather complex set of hand movements and a lengthy incantation. At the end, there was a sound like distant thunder, and a gray miasma settled over the hall.

"I declare intent to seek Truth!" Q'land intoned to complete the spell. "And the Truth that I seek is this: that the author of these parchments come forth."

Uroddus was about to stand but paused. There was an exasperated sigh from several nearby Empiricists, including Katla, as they understood as well. Q'land had not called for the original author of the notes, but for the author of the parchments. It was a subtle difference, but enough to disqualify Uroddus from answering.

And yet, the fog-like atmosphere of the room appeared to grow thicker. It was sensing that someone was still withholding a truth. Someone at the proceedings had indeed made these copies. Uroddus glanced at his fellow Empiricists. As Katla had indicated, their ranks were thinner today. They were all exchanging whispered comments, with the occasional shake of a head. None of them had done it.

Finally, there was a gust of wind, and the fog lifted. A small, quavering voice called out, "I-it was me, Master Q'land."

All eyes turned. A mousy-looking female Apprentice had stood, her peers gawking at her in disbelief. Her eyes were wide and frightened. Q'ixanna laughed out loud. The girl seemed to shrink, as if she wanted to sink through the floor and disappear.

Q'land glared at the Guildmaster before turning back to the girl. "Your name?"

"G-gissa Q'reena."

"Apprentice Gissa Q'reena, come to the podium."

The girl flinched. She swallowed hard and stepped forward, eyes wide and scared.

Q'land peered over his spectacles, making him seem all the more intimidating to the Apprentice. "You state then for the record that you are the author of these notes?"

Gissa started to nod and opened her mouth. She paused, reconsidered, then shook her head. "No, Master Q'land."

The Guildmaster's smile disappeared. "You just said you were!" he roared.

Gissa gripped the sides of the podium until it started to shake along with her.

Q'land looked impatient. "Could you clarify, please, Apprentice Q'reena? Did you not just say you were the author of these notes?"

"N-no, Master Q'land. I ... I made the copies. I made these parchments. I didn't write the original notes."

"And from whom did you get the originals?"

"Master Q'yros."

And the Mage Elders were again in an uproar.

"See now! A Mage Elder, and a most experienced one at that. He would not... !"

"Q'yros is not the kind of Mage to engage in fantasy. He would not forward such a theory unless he was sure... !"

"He knew of the artifacts. He had secured them from the Guildmaster and came up with this. How can we claim to second guess... ?"

"He was not infirm when he did this research, not by a long shot! He..."

Q'land raised his hand and called upon the gong again before he turned back to the Apprentice. "Did he say why he had you make these copies?"

"He said he simply w-wanted them archived."

"But he had you make so many copies. Did you not question this?"

Gissa looked stricken. "He's a Mage Elder! You don't ... that is ... a-an Apprentice doesn't question it when a Mage Elder tells her what to do. He told me to take the copies and put them outside the door of Master Q'yoton, the Master Archivist."

Q'land frowned. "But he is on sabbatical for another moon."

"I know! But ... but this was Master Q'yros. You don't question someone like that."

The Guildmaster ran forward, causing the Apprentice to utter a gasp of terror and flee the podium. Before Q'land could cite her for leaving before being dismissed, or the Guildmaster for leaving the dais, Q'ixanna had snatched the parchments from the table and narrowed his eyes at them.

"This is not from Q'yros," the Guildmaster snarled.

"Guildmaster, we have heard testimony under the Pall of Truth that..." Q'land began.

Q'ixanna threw the parchments at him. "Blast that! Q'yros does not write notes like this. He does not engage in all these figures and numbers. If he had, I would have forced him into retirement much earlier for being addled in the head!"

A very dark wave of muttering erupted among the Empiricists.

One of the Mage Elders picked up a fallen parchment and examined it. "Hrm. It would appear the Guildmaster is correct." He frowned. "In fact, I can make little sense of this. It smacks of Empiricism, if you ask me."

"Q'yros is no Empiricist!" cried the first Mage. "And not all of it is numbers and formulae."

"But a good amount of it is!" Q'ixanna countered.

"Then ... then I demand that we use the Pall again! Find out who among the..."

"There will be no need for that," Uroddus' voice rang out. He stood up. "I claim authorship of the original notes."

Q'land frowned. "And why did you not admit this when the Pall was first used?"

"Because your wording was off. You did not request the original author, merely the one that transcribed the notes."

The Guildmaster made a disgusted noise as he threw up his hands dramatically. "And we are expected to listen to this?" he called out as he returned to his seat.

"You seemed willing to listen to him, Guildmaster, when he supported your side earlier!" said the first Mage acidly.

"Journeyman Uroddus Q'garra," Q'land called out, looking quite miffed at having his miswording called out. "Come to the podium."


Roquan paused at the fork in the path as the last long rays of sunlight began to fade to dusky crimson. He looked towards the quarters that once held his other Trainer. He had avoided this duty ever since she had arrived.

He turned from the path and walked up to the door. The guard posted outside stood at attention for a moment and bowed his head briefly towards the Overlord. He stepped to one side and allowed Roquan access to the door. Roquan nodded in reply and let himself in.

The place was much like Sirinna's quarters. He stood inside a larger chamber designed for the Trainer herself, with three smaller adjoining chambers for Trainees, plus a sanitary. This time, however, a "captive" of sorts was being kept in the main chamber.

Freya lay on the furs of the bed. A simple, slim chain was wrapped around her right wrist with a small lock. The other end was secured to the bed frame. It was exactly like the one that was placed on Amanda when she had first arrived. Despite its apparent delicacy, it was quite resilient, and it stretched to allow access to the sanitary but nothing else.

Roquan paused. Freya was nude, the only clothing she had come with discarded like so many rags in a distant part of the room.

The former Overlord lifted her head and actually smiled at him. She swung her legs over the side and sat up. "Finally paying your respects to the prisoner? Or have the other Overlords finally demanded my release?"

Roquan's jaw tightened. "Some of the other Overlords have indeed been in touch with me over the past few days."

"Oh, I have no doubt of that," Freya said silkily. She smoothly rose to her feet. "I am quite sure they had many choice words to say to you. Certainly I had some for them when they Farviewed me."

"Most of my communications were to correct blatant lies told by you," Roquan's eyes remained rigidly on hers, never drifting over her body.

Freya chuckled. "One wonders who they ultimately believed."

Roquan glanced at the discarded dress. "Is that why you are naked? A feeble attempt to reinforce the lie that I am treating you as a slave?"

Freya held up the chained wrist. "Hardly a lie, Roquan."

"Other than your imprisonment, you have been accorded more respect than is deserved. These are the largest quarters I can provide. Nothing even remotely related to slave duties have been imposed on you. You were even offered the use of my slaves."

"Enough prattle," Freya snapped, her smile fading. "When am I to leave? Surely the others have secured my release by now."

"And what makes you believe this fantasy, Freya?"

"Because I am an Overlord, and you have no right to keep me here," she declared. "Only a full Conclave can decide anything."

Roquan remained silent at first, watching Freya seethe and the doubt creep into her eyes. "Some Overlords did express a desire for you to be released."

Freya slowly smiled.

"But there have been no demands as such, not after I explained to them what you did."

Her smile faltered. "And they believed you? Someone who has committed more crimes than I ever did?"

Roquan sneered. "Do not even attempt to presume you are somehow more righteous than I, or that your crimes carry less weight. There is simply no comparison. My crimes were errors of judgment. Yours were blatant breakdowns of morality and ethics."

"Spare me the lecture. The point is that you are nothing right now, I may not have achieved what I wanted, but your words have very little weight with the Overlords."

"Perhaps so. But this is not the case with regards to Trennan."

Freya's eyes widened slightly. "What?"

"Trennan is confirming my claim about your use of the Draught on Narlassi natives."

The former Overlord's mouth dropped open. "But he can't... ! I never told him about any of this."

"He had confirmed it himself once Doran revealed your actions to him."

"But how in hellfire could he... ?"

"How he did it is not important," Roquan said. "What matters is that Trennan's word does matter to the other Overlords. Or did you forget that it was he that initiated the ruse against you?"

"He was united with me in opposition to you!" Freya yelled. "He despised what you did with Amanda! He has nothing but contempt for you!"

"Be that as it may, he realizes there is a bigger picture to consider. And I have already informed him that I will willingly submit to the judgment of the Conclave when we are able to convene one. Are you willing to do that same?"

Freya's hands clenched into fists, and for a moment sheer fury burned in her eyes. She caught herself before long. Her hands unclenched and the tempest in her eyes calmed. Her lips curled into a small smile. "I suppose in that case, we're in the same boat now."

Roquan raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

"Both of us will have to go before the Conclave and answer to the other Overlords."

"So you will submit to their judgment? Willingly?"

"Well ... that depends."

Freya started towards him, swinging her hips. Roquan narrowed his eyes, keeping them on Freya's.

"It's quite possible we could... " She dropped her voice into a more husky tone. " ... help each other..."

Roquan said nothing and remained a statue.

Freya sauntered towards him, letting her footfalls make her breasts swing and ripple as she walked. His eyes never faltered. "I was the one that leveled those charges at you about dear little Amanda," Freya cooed. She lifted a hand to his shoulder. "And you are the one that accused me of taking Narlassi as slaves. Perhaps we can ... come to an arrangement."

Roquan's eyes hardened to ice.

Freya smiled. "And if we did..." Her hand played along his shoulder and slid over his chest. " ... it could very well be worth your while..." Her hand dropped. " ... I might even let you play out this little fantasy of having me as a sort of slave. For a time..."

Her hand slipped downward towards his crotch.

Roquan's hand flicked out. He wrenched her wrist to his chest, and then away from him, eliciting a startled gasp. When Freya's other hand rose to strike him, he grabbed it as well, pinning them together.

"Stop it!" Freya cried. "Let go! You're hurting me!"

"Do not even attempt your sexual ploy on me," Roquan hissed, his eyes blazing. "I have such utter contempt for you that you do not excite me in the least."

He pushed her back with a single violent shove. Freya let out a cry, stumbled, and fell.

Roquan took a deep breath and let it go through his nose, his hands clenching and unclenching, as if he were expending a great deal of effort to keep his temper under control.

"I told you everything you wanted to know!" Freya screamed, rubbing at her wrists. "I told you what I did with my slaves! I told you what Gronnus had done! I cooperated with you!"

"Yes, you and Gronnus, the both of you have abetted in what could be the ruination of Oceanus itself!"

"I didn't know!" Tears glistened in Freya's eyes. "How do I know you're not making that up? How do I know you're not just trying to ... to torture me with this ridiculous claim about these Portals? Well, it won't work! You will not make me feel guilty. You understand me? I refuse to feel guilty about anything!"

Roquan let out a slow sigh and shook his head. "Yes, Freya, I know. And that, by and large, is the problem."

The Overlord turned away. Freya's eyes widened. She wiped at the tears that had trickled down her face. "No, Roquan, wait! Don't go! Stop!"

She leapt to her feet. She uttered a yelp as the chain went taut and stopped her a few scant handspans from a door that was already closing behind the departing Roquan. Freya grabbed the chain with both hands and gave it several vicious yanks, but it would not be dislodged or broken.

She finally collapsed to the floor, weeping, and hugged her knees to her body.


"Thus Master Q'yros called for my assistance," said Uroddus as he adjusted his spectacles. "He was missing some pieces of the puzzle, as it were. We collaborated on the research, and I saw some things that he did not. The notes that you see before you are not my sole authorship. They represent the work done by Master Q'yros and myself. I should note that this was well before his current illness. He was perfectly sound of both mind and body when we took up this research together."

"I would dispute that last point," Q'ixanna called out from his chair. "The very notion that he would consort with an Empiricist of all people to me shows a severe lack of critical judgment on his part."

A Mage Elder rose. Lamplight glowed dully from his balding pate. His thoughtful look and crown of silver hair gave him a more distinguished air than his colleagues. "With all due respect to you, Journeyman, I feel I must concur with the sentiment expressed by the Guildmaster. Could it not be the case that Q'yros did consult with you simply as a means of jogging his own memory and would have proceeded along different lines had he not become ill?"

"If that were the case, Master Q'kollan then why did he choose to have the Apprentice copy these notes and distribute them?"

"Ah, but he told the Apprentice to deliver them to the Master Archivist. If his condition is bad, he perhaps forgot that..."

"With all due respect, Elder, the point is quite moot."

Q'kollan looked shocked at the rebuke. Several other Mage Elders frowned.

"I suggest that your own words make the case for this charge having merit."

The Mage Elder raised an eyebrow. "How do you see this?" There was genuine curiosity in his voice, if no small dose of doubt as well.

"You claim that the purpose of calling me into the investigation was simply to jog his own memory. So be it. But then that further suggests that my input was important. Consequently, the notes in question, a result of that input, are important. And if they are important, and if they were willfully suppressed, then this constitutes a miscarriage of authority on the part of the Guildmaster. It is information that is potentially valuable that was purposefully suppressed."

Q'kollan look intensely thoughtful. Finally, he nodded his head slowly. "I do see your point, Journeyman, once you express it that way."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.