The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 28

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 28 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Dawn broke in subdued, misty splendor behind the mountains that rose to the east. As the morning fog lifted under the beams of cool morning sun, the valley stirred.

The road was alive. A twisting column of armor, weapons, and flesh marched as one, each booted foot coming down at the same time, each lifting to take the next step with mathematical precision. The constant, staccato tread of this serpentine entity echoed well in advance of its march.

Birds took flight and animals scattered in its path. The larger predators, which would relish picking off someone from the rearward ranks, slinked away into shelter until this terrifying thing had passed.

The Emperor's legions emerged from the valley. The road ran straight and true across wide, grassy fields and low hills. As the fog burned away, a tiny community of low-lying buildings appeared, shimmering in the distance.


Jollis watched impassively as the Portal shuddered, then collapsed upon itself. More true to Inonnus technology, the closure was a sedate affair, the energies bleeding off in a far more efficient manner. It became a bright point of light that hung in midair for a moment, then vanished with a muffled "thump," blowing out a weak gust of wind that ruffled Jollis' clothes and hair.

There had been no time to align the large-capacity Portals to produce the effects common to Oceanus Portals. The illusion was maintained solely by the first Cohort, who stood nearby holding a fake focus pearl. He lowered it and dropped it into a pocket of his robe after the Portal had closed.

"Was that the last of them?"

Jollis turned and faced Gronnus. "Yes, Overlord, that was the last. All the slaves have been accounted for and are safe."

Gronnus nodded and looked around. It was eerily quiet. The Manor had the appearance of a ghost town. It sent a small shiver up his spine. "This is so unfair. Unfair! I did my best for the Emperor!"

"I would suggest that you delay your recriminations," said Jollis. "There is little time. The Emperor's legions are less than a candlemark away."

Fear shimmered in Gronnus' eyes. He swallowed and nodded. "I started powering my Portal yesterday. Did you link the focus to it?"

"Yes. You need only activate it and step through. The focus pearl will be de-spelled once you are through so that the Emperor cannot learn of your whereabouts."

"And why can I not simply follow you when..."

"I am going elsewhere in Inonnus. You cannot follow me there. Someone will meet you to take care of your needs."

Gronnus frowned. "Then at least remain long enough to insure that my Portal is functioning properly!"

The Cohort folded his hands before him demurely, but his eyes darted between the two men.

Jollis smiled. "Certainly, Overlord. I would not want you left behind. Please, lead the way."

Gronnus glowered at Jollis one last time before he headed down the path. Jollis and his Cohort -- the latter reluctantly -- fell into step behind him.

As with most Overlord Manors, the Portal device at the D'yoran Manor was housed in a small building set apart from the rest of the grounds, like a small shrine dedicated to the Overlord way of life. Yet it was clear that his had been neglected. Several of the high-standing torches were out. Weeds dotted the clearing. A climbing vine had taken over one section of the outer wall. When Gronnus pulled open the door, its hinges squealed with rust.

But inside, the Portal heart still throbbed with power. Golden energy surged and pulsed. A reverberating thrum sent vibrations through the Overlord's feet. Gronnus let out a relieved sigh. He had feared he would be greeted by a dead Portal.

Jollis stepped forward and examined the device with an apparent critical eye. "It appears to be functioning very well, Overlord. You should have no trouble whatsoever."

Gronnus nodded. He managed a weak smile. "Jollis, thank you. I am sorry for any sharp words I have used with you."

Jollis turned to his Cohort. "Call for our Portal to Inonnus." The first Cohort bowed his head quickly and headed outside. Jollis gestured towards the Portal. "Salvation awaits, Overlord. Perhaps I will see you again soon."

Gronnus laughed. "Perhaps you can help me found a new Manor! It could be quite lucrative for you."

"I will remember that. Good day to you, Overlord Gronnus, and good luck."

Jollis walked away at a sedate pace and emerged into the sunlight. Before him, the Portal to Inonnus swirled and throbbed. The Cohort turned to him. "Shall we... ?"

Jollis raised a hand. "One moment."

He looked back. Gronnus had just gestured at the Portal device. There was a crack of bright white energy as the Overlord's Portal opened. Jollis watched with a dispassionate gaze as the Overlord stepped through and was gone. He turned back to the Cohort as the Portal collapsed with a ground-shaking boom. "Now we may go, before we are discovered."

"I am most distressed that we have done this to him, Wanderer."

"Yes. It is distasteful, but he is a liability. We do not judge him. We have simply provided for others to render judgment. He has made his own bed, not us. Now, come."

Jollis and his Cohort stepped into the shimmering sphere. They became shadows racing off into the distance. The Portal closed, a blast of air scattering the dust and the sand. It was silent once more.


Gronnus was a bit surprised to find himself in wilderness of golden autumn quiet when he stepped onto solid ground. Trees soared on all sides and fallen leaves crunched under his feet. His eyes spotted something glowing on the ground. It was a blue pearl, lying among the dead leaves.

He stepped forward towards it. Behind him, the Portal closed with a boom, startling him and sending a flock of birds into raucous flight from the canopies. The glow of the pearl died. He was about to touch it when it cracked and charred before his eyes. He snatched his hand away and stood.

He looked around. "Um, hello! Good day to you! I am Overlord Gronnus D'yoran! Surely I was expected?"

His voice echoed into the forest and went unanswered.

Gronnus swallowed, his heart pounding. Was there some mistake? Had the Portal not been opened to the correct place? His eyes scanned the ground. He spotted what appeared to be a narrow path through the trees.

The Overlord followed it, stepping over deadfall and clumps of wildflower in increasing annoyance. Finally, the trees began to thin, and a structure loomed ahead. It was round and domed. He could see the slim pole of a high-standing torch just beyond it. It looked like a Portal building.

Gronnus let out a windy sigh of relief and rushed forward. "Thank the gods ... Whoever is running this place, you should know not to drop your focus pearl wherever you wish it. As an Overlord, I should be shown some respect! Perhaps you do not understand that I..."

He trailed off as he emerged into the clearing. He had expected to see people. Instead, it was just as empty as the forest had been. And it was in a shocking state of disrepair. Some of the torches were no longer burning. Weeds dotted the ground. A climbing vine had claimed...

Gronnus' eyes widened. The door of the building stood open, the Portal device inside winding down from an obvious recent use. He staggered and shook his head, his lower lip trembling. Finally he turned and burst into a run.

He rushed down the path, wheezing from the effort and his growing fear. He emerged at the convergence at another path and stumbled to a stop as he stared in horror at his own empty Manor. His Portal had delivered him no more than a league from his starting point.

"J-Jollis?" the panicked Overlord called out. "Jollis! Jollis, it didn't work! It didn't... !"

He stopped. The focus pearl had been right there, in the forest. The Portal had worked. It was simply the destination that had been willfully changed.

"JOLLIS, YOU BASTARD!" Gronnus screamed, raising his shaking fists to the heavens.

There was a sound. It was faint at first, but steadily rising in volume. A staccato cascade of thuds against packed earth. As it approached, the rattle of metal could be heard with each thump.

And then, in the distance appeared the first plumes of dust from the encroaching legions.

Gronnus ran off whimpering like a frightened animal, looking for a place to hide. Sanctuary denied him, he had to find his own.


Jollis was momentarily struck speechless.

It had been so long since he stood upon the verdant fields of his homeland. Everything was both alien and familiar to him. How he had longed to see this again. It was a blessing that his new plans had forced his return.

Ahead of him, the temple rose from atop a small hill. A stone path meandered to it through beautifully manicured gardens of flowers surrounding neat stands of cherry trees that were only now entering full fall splendor, a burst of color against the fading green of the wispy stalks of grass.

Behind the temple, the sky was ablaze with the glory of ruddy-orange sunset. The last fading rays of dusk cast the distant rising majesty of the holy mountain in a glow of reddish-purple against its white, snow-capped peak.

From the temple, a low, mellow bell sounded, the call to evening prayer. People in robes and billowing cloaks walked past the ornate but subdued columns that flanked the entry into the temple. Torches lighted themselves at the tops of the columns and at regular intervals along the path as the day faded.

The Cohort lifted his hands to his hood and pulled it back. Now that he was back in his homeland, he no longer had to hide his face. He looked with reverence and eagerness towards the temple before turning to his Master. "Wanderer, I would like to attend evening devotions. I need to cleanse myself of some of the acts I did in the name of our plan."

"Of course," Jollis said. "And as the one who asked of you these things, I share in the shame and absolve you. May the gods reflect on this and be kind towards you."

The Cohort bowed. "You honor me, Master. Thank you." He turned away and headed up the path.

"And I, Jollis, absolve you in turn."

Jollis turned around and smiled. "Master Kyllos."

Kyllos stepped forward. "It is good to see you home again, Jollis."

Jollis bowed. "Thank you, Master Kyllos, you honor me. I wish it were under different circumstances."

"It cannot be helped. Things go as fate decrees, and we simply need to know how to work with it." He glanced towards the temple. "Will you avail yourself of devotions this evening?"

"Not yet. I ... it is a shock to be home. I need time to acclimate."

"Then attend with me in the morning, if you would."

"I will ... consider it."

Kyllos smiled. If he had noticed the slight hesitation in Jollis' voice, it was not obvious. "As for tonight, do you wish to avail yourself of a Companion?"

"I will not have time, unfortunately. I need to return to Oceanus briefly when it again becomes night there. I have unfinished business concerning Overlord Freya."

"Ah, so you have not taken care of that yet."

Jollis bowed his head. "Forgive me, Master, but I could not carry out my original task. I have ... I have done so many distasteful things, that I could not..."

Kyllos stepped forward and placed a hand on Jollis' shoulder. Jollis looked up. "No need to explain yourself. I trust you will resolve this."

"But is my resolution a sound one, Master?" said Jollis, his eyes holding the anguish that he fought to keep out of his voice. "Please, give me guidance. I do not wish to err again. Here is what I wish to do..."

Kyllos listened. He nodded slowly. "It is very clever, Jollis. It is indeed risky, but the spiritual benefits outweigh the practically of other methods."

Jollis relaxed. "Thank you, Master Kyllos."

"And when you have finished, please avail yourself of a Companion," said Kyllos. "You have earned it. Seek one from the temple if you require spiritual fulfillment as well."

Jollis nodded and smiled faintly.

He was not sure he could ever make use of a Companion again. He would always compare them to Amanda, and Amanda would prove their better. He so wished she could be spared her role in the great task. He wished he could have taken her to Inonnus himself, now, where she would be safe, and free to pursue her talents as she wished.

Instead, she would have to come to Inonnus the hard way. And by that time, it was unlikely she would ever wish to tryst with him again on any level.


It takes a typical Overlord many years to build a Manor fully. It took the Emperor's legions a single morning to tear it down.

A soldier marched up to the Commander. He pounded his fist against his chest over the heart in salute. "Commander, still no sign of anyone."

The Commander sighed and glanced to the side, where other soldiers were kicking in the door of yet another slave quarters, searching chamber by chamber. "Not even any slaves?"

"Nothing, my Lord. The Portal device shows signs of recent use, but it could not possibly take away that many slaves."

The Commander nodded and frowned. The men had grumbled about it the moment they had set foot onto the Manor grounds. Now it was getting increasingly ugly. Men were taking out their frustrations by being as destructive as possible in their searches. The Overlord's office and quarters had been ransacked several times. "And no sign of the foreign agent?"

"No, my Lord. Though we..."

There was a sudden shout and a ruckus from one of the slave quarters. A soldier barked an order. Someone pleaded for mercy. There was a dull thud and a crunch.

"Where are they?" a soldier shouted. "Where did you hide them?"

"No, please, they're not here! They're gone! I..."

"You liar!"

Another thud and a cry of pain. The Commander ran for the slave quarters just as two soldiers dragged a stumbling, struggling, and bloodied Overlord past the door.

"Hold!" the Commander shouted. One of the soldiers rammed the butt of his crossbow into the Overlord's gut, making him fall to the ground. "I said HOLD, gods damn you!"

The soldier had drawn his weapon back, intending to ram it into the back of Gronnus' head. The Overlord coughed, and flecks of blood spattered the fallen leaves. "Sorry, Commander, but the Emperor did order that the Overlord be executed."

Gronnus whimpered and collapsed onto the ground, shaking.

"And when is 'execute' the equivalent of 'beat to a bloody pulp, ' soldier?" the Commander snapped.

"Then shall I... ?" the soldier said, drawing an arrow and placing it into the strung crossbow.

"Not yet."

"But the Emperor..."

"His orders were contingent on finding and capturing the agent Jollis. You will keep him alive until I have spoken with the Lord General. I must have clarification of my orders. You and the other men will cease assaulting him, is that clear?"

The soldiers answered in the affirmative, though reluctantly.

The Commander sighed and shook his head as he withdrew a Farviewing pearl. If the men would stop thinking with their cocks and start thinking with their heads, we would be better off, he thought.


"Where is he, Lord General? Where?" the Emperor bellowed.

"As I have stated several times, my Emperor," said an exasperated Rithas over Farview. "He is nowhere to be found on the Manor grounds."

"Then search beyond it!" shouted Z'haas, spittle flying from his mouth. He bolted to his feet. "Search the lands around it! Search the nearby villages! Raze them if you have to in order to drive him out! But find him and bring him here!"

"I will inform the Commander of your orders."

"This is why I wanted you there to command them. The men would not be acting like the lazy, uninspired louts that they are."

Rithas visibly bristled at this assessment, but the Emperor was too wild with fury to notice. "Begging my Emperor's pardon, but I have my own problems to deal with. This morning, my legions at the border were subjected to a sneak attack by catapult and crossbow."

The Emperor blinked uncomprehendingly, as if the import of such matters as the conduct of the war had suddenly escaped him.

"The attack fortunately caused little damage, but was patterned to kill as many of my men as possible. It is fortunate that we changed the schedule for meals in lieu of more war exercises."

The Emperor staggered back, horror-struck. "They're invading? From the north?"

Rithas paused. "Yes, my Emperor, it could well be a prelude to an invasion to take pressure off the..."

"Attack at once!" Z'haas shouted. "Don't give a handspan of territory to them! Push them back!"

Rithas struggled not to smile. "Yes, my Emperor, it will be done."

"They will not compromise the Imperium. I will not allow it. They will be crushed."

"I will do so, my Emperor. But the Commander wishes one more question answered. He wishes to know what to do with the Overlord."

"Did I not make my orders clear? He is to be executed!"

"But if they fail to find Jollis, would you not want him for questioning?"

The Emperor paused. He nodded slowly. "Yes, Lord General, you are right. Have the Commander send the traitor to me if he cannot find the agent. But I want that agent, Lord General. I must have him. He is the key to everything!"

"I will relay that to the Commander. I will contact you again soon."

"Do that, Lord General, and it better be with good news next time!" Z'haas waved his arm and terminated the Farview. He fell heavily into his throne. His hands gripped the hand rests.

He would have Jollis. If he could not be found, the wretched Overlord will lead Z'haas him. If the Overlord valued his life.


Freya smiled in satisfaction as she watched her Portal begin its initial start sequence. The gem heart, spinning slowly inside its metal cage began to glow brighter. It sent out pulses of energy in rings around the golden column, rippling towards the reflectors in floor and ceiling and rushing back, feeding upon itself to build up the power needed to breach the dimensional gap.

Beside her, the Overlord's newest acquisition looked on in wide-eyed wonder. Freya turned to her and smiled. "Isn't it pretty, Eveena?"

She nodded. "Yes, Mistress, very. May I ask a question?"

"Certainly. What is it?"

"Is this the thing we're using tomorrow to go to the other Manor?"

"Indeed, it is. You'll be stepping through it with me."

"It doesn't hurt or anything like that?"

Freya smiled. "Not at all, but I'll make sure you won't be scared."

"How, Mistress?"

Freya's lips curled into a wicked grin. She reached between Eveena's legs. "You'll be far too distracted."

Eveena gasped, then let out a low moan as she shivered in pleasure. Her pussy became wet at once. She closed her eyes and rode her hips against her Overlord's hand.

Freya flicked her fingers against Eveena's womanhood until she was panting hard and trembling, then withdrew her hand. Eveena whimpered and looked imploringly at her Overlord, her pussy aching.

"Not yet. Come back to my quarters and show me how much Taya has taught you so far."

"May I lick your pussy, Mistress?" Eveena said eagerly, her voice still husky from her arousal. "Please? I really like to do that, and Taya says I'm good at it."

"Well, I'll have to put that to the test now, won't I?" She lifted the chain and gave it a snap. "Come along."

"Yes, Mistress!"


"You lied to the Emperor, my Lord."

Rithas looked up from his map and gave Foron a level look. "Did I, now?"

"You told him we were being invaded from the north."

"No. He said that. I simply chose not to dissuade him." The Lord General straightened. "It matters not. We have what we want."

"I still don't care for how we are going about this, Lord General."

Rithas smiled and stepped forward. He clasped the young man's shoulder. "I understand. But this is the war we really wanted, not this useless excursion to take an Overlord Manor with two whole legions."

Foron did not look convinced, but he nodded anyway. "Very well. Have you decided on a Commander for the forward legion? Since you will be staying with the rearward one at the border?"

"Yes, I have. You are to take command of it immediately."

Foron's eyes widened. "Begging my Lord's pardon, did you say me?"

"Yes I did. I am conveying on you a field promotion. You are now Legion Commander."

The adjunct stared. His lips tried to twitch into a smile but did not quite make it. "My Lord, are there not people that have been waiting longer for promotion? I don't even consider myself career military, just..."

"Nevertheless, I base these things on qualifications. You did a very fine job of arranging that little 'attack' on the camp without a single life lost. It was so believable that even the few in the know were confused as to whether it was real."

"Really? I don't know what to say."

"Just remember that this time you're attacking the enemy to the north and not us," Rithas said with a grin.

The newly-minted Commander laughed weakly. "Very well, my Lord. I will leave at once. Thank you!"

Commander Foron saluted, fist against breastbone. The Lord General returned it, and kept smiling until Foron had left.

There were indeed others more qualified than Foron. He would not be a bad Commander, so Rithas thought, but he was not the best that the Lord General could muster. But he would be a liability if he were to continue questioning everything Rithas did. It was better for him to be away when Rithas put his own plan into motion.

The Lord General waited a short while, then called in another of his adjuncts. "Once the new Commander of the forward legion is gone, tell the men to pull up stakes and ready the legion for travel."

"Travel, my Lord? Are we not to remain in order to provide support to the rear?"

"We will provide that support, but I wish us in a more mobile posture. We will be traveling only a short distance across the border. It is better to show the enemy that we intend to meet them in force. War is about psychology as much as it is about men, armor, and weapons."

The adjunct bowed his head. "As you wish, my Lord."

Rithas nodded in return, and the adjunct left. The Lord General turned back to his map and pondered.

So, Lord Duric, how far do I have to go out of the Imperial lands before you will take the bait? he mused.


Uroddus hurried into the unused classroom on the heels of his compatriot. "Katla, what is it? Several very strong Portals were opened near the Overlord Manor that..."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.