The Merchant of Chaos - Cover

The Merchant of Chaos

Copyright© 2008 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 24

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 24 - With the failure of the Overlords' gambit, Oceanus is plunged into civil war. But the Mages may yet uncover Jollis' secret, forcing him to desperate ends to preserve his mission. In the middle is Amanda, wishing only to be happy in her reunion with her lover, but unable to resist becoming involved as she struggles to redefine her role in this world. But her personal chaos is nothing compared to the chaos planned for her by Jollis. (This is the fourth story in the series)

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   NonConsensual   Fiction   DomSub   Spanking   Light Bond   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

"The remaining elements of the Appalanchian defenders at Talrad Pass have been routed, Wanderer," said the first Cohort.

"Did not the assassination buy more time than that?" asked the second Cohort.

"It bought time. Two more days. It was enough to begin an orderly retreat."

"Then how have they been routed?"

"Because the new commander of that force has a far more brutish approach to warfare. Once he saw the enemy lines thinning, he thrust his legions into the pass and muscled his way through."

The second Cohort blanched. "That is insane."

The first nodded. "Yes. It cost him more lives than were necessary, but it enabled him to disrupt the retreat and overtake the Appalanchian forces. He almost did not recognize the offer of surrender." He turned to his Master. "Wanderer, the legions are racing northward without pause, save for nightly camps in the woods. It will be little more than five more days before they are to the Manor."

"Five days!" the second cried. "That is barely enough time to respond to the latest news from the Mage Guild." He turned to face Jollis as well. "Master, we have word that someone from the Guild Hall has sent a courier with an urgent parcel to Overlord Roquan's Manor. We believe it is a Farviewing pearl."

"I thought the Mage Guild had restricted communications with the outside world?" asked the first.

The second turned to him. "They have, save for normal Mage services. All extraneous communications were supposedly under the tight control of their Guildmaster. It appears this may be an illicit attempt."

"But why? And why Overlord Roquan? He would be the last one they would contact, considering Mage Q'yros' adversarial relationship with him."

"That is the reason for concern. Consider that Roquan is the one Overlord with close ties to the Nobility beyond a simple client relationship, via his friendship with Lord Duric. He is the one Overlord that could summon counsel with many Noble Lords..."

The first look alarmed. "You do not believe that the Guild has discovered something about the Portals?"

"Or perhaps even the Wanderer's plan itself."

"That is far-fetched."

"But not outside the realm of possibility. We have been told many times that the longer we are delayed, the greater the chance of discovery. I believe if we have not yet reached that point, we will soon."

"This ... this is madness ... how can we expect to... ?"

Jollis rose from where he had been seated quietly in a lotus position upon his bed. "Enough."

Both Cohorts fell silent and turned to face their Master, folding their hands before them.

Jollis resolved not let emotions rule over logic. He turned to the first Cohort. "You said five days. Are they no other fall-back defenses?"

"No, Master," said the first Cohort. "The Appalanchian Lords have abandoned this area. They are creating their defensive line far to the north."

Jollis nodded. He turned to the second. "Can we stop the courier from reaching the D'ronstaq Manor?"

"It is unlikely, Wanderer," said the second Cohort. "He is under heavy protection from other merchants. Ne'land Clan Leader Uridon has close ties to Roquan. It is likely he is intent on insuring it arrives safely."

Jollis nodded again and fell silent.

The two Cohorts became nervous in the quiet. It was unlike their Master to take so long to deliberate. They had no way of knowing -- nor would they allow themselves to believe -- that the Wanderer had no idea what to do next.

"We will have to leave the Manor," the first suggested.

"And go where?" snapped the second.

"Another Overlord Manor. Freya's, perhaps."

"We chose this one because its Overlord was weak-willed and greedy. Freya fulfills only one of those requirements."

The first was about to respond when Jollis held up a hand. "He is correct. We cannot simply move to Freya's Manor. She would not accept me and she would continuously plot against me."

"Unless you eliminated her, Wanderer," the first Cohort said.

Jollis' eyes snapped towards him and narrowed. The second Cohort uttered a small gasp of shock.

The first Cohort maintained a level and calm gaze with his Master, but his hands tightened. "I suggest only that which you had entertained yourself, my Wanderer, when you wished no further spread of the altered Draught."

"I cannot simply eliminate a well-known Overlord in that manner," said Jollis in irritation. "I entertained that notion only as part of gaining enlightenment for a better solution. You should feel shamed at both your cold heart and your lack of forethought of the consequences."

The first Cohort lowered his eyes. "I beg forgiveness, Wanderer. I spoke from passion rather than logic."

"It is understandable given the circumstances."

"What penance shall I do, Master?"

Jollis shook his head. "None. Your quick recognition of your fault and the reason behind it is enough."

"You are most wise. Thank you."

Jollis paused, his eyes growing dark. "But it is unfortunate that I cannot say the same for the Healer. She is the key. She holds the knowledge in her head. I must remove it, or remove her. I will give her no options this time."

"Will Freya not be on the alert for you, Master?" asked the first Cohort.

"I do not believe she saw me clearly enough to recognize me," Jollis said. "But I will put it to the test. I will manufacture a reason to see her during the day and observe her reaction. If she attempts to apprehend me, I will know I need a different approach."

"And what of us, Wanderer?" asked the second. "Where do we go now?"

Jollis again fell silent for an inordinate amount of time. "I will wait, and see if I can devise a new plan. If not, the Cohorts will disperse, and I will return to Inonnus. Then it will be up to the Elders as to my fate."

The two cohorts were shocked. It was an open admission of failure from the Master they had so faithfully served. As part of his plan, they felt partially responsible.

Jollis let out a tired sigh, also uncharacteristic of him. "Is there anything else?"

"Only that Overlord Gronnus is likely to receive the news of the fall of Talrad Pass before morning's end," said the first Cohort. "He will likely disturb you when that happens."

"I am expecting that. If there is nothing else, I wish peace until I need to deal with the Overlord."

The Cohorts bowed and left.

Jollis collapsed into a chair and tried in vain to induce a meditative state. It would not come. Not that it had helped before. Every plan he could conceive left him short. He could not muster up enough targets among the Noble Lords to make the plan work, not without bloodshed and a war that could go on for many moons. How long would it be before the Urisi interfered? Already they agreed to trade arms with the Emperor. Would soldiers and war machines follow?

He thought back to the pearl that the Urisi Ambassador had sent him, proof of the Urisi suspicions. Now the Mage Guild may have cracked yet another secret. It might not be long before the Nobility took security measures to thwart any attempt at a sudden takeover of their Palaces. Or they would shift their places of power somewhere else.

His plan was teetering towards collapse, and no amount of meditation would stop it.


"It is about time there has been progress, Rithas," said the glowering Farview form of the Emperor.

The Lord General resisted rising to the bait. He was not at all happy with how this "progress" had come about. "In any case, my Emperor, the breakthrough has been achieved and the legions are proceeding towards the D'yoran Manor with all haste."

"Perhaps it was well and good in the end that you had to replace your commander of those forces. A complete rout of the enemy! I doubt Pol would have handled it with such alacrity."

"Commander Rol, my Emperor," Rithas said in a tight voice.

"Whatever his name, it is unimportant. What is important is building on the effort."

Rithas took a breath, though it did little to calm him. In his eyes, it had been a debacle. The new Commander used his legions like a dull club rather than a polished sword. Now Rithas could not replace him, as he had apparently found favor with the Emperor.

"The legions will reach the Manor in five days at their current pace," said Rithas. A pace that will waste valuable supplies, he thought vehemently.

Z'haas frowned. "Five days? Can they not make it sooner?"

"No, my Emperor. There are limits to..."

The Emperor waved a hand impatiently. "Yes, yes, fine, you don't need to lecture me about this point yet again! Now, I have specific orders you are to relay to your field Commander. First: Overlord Gronnus D'yoran is to be executed for treason."

Rithas did not react. He was not at all surprised by the order. The Emperor had already acted as judge and jury once, and a young woman had paid with her life. This was little different.

"Second: There will be a merchant with him by the name of Jollis. He is to be captured and brought to the Palace by Portal. Third: The slaves are to be rounded up and their needs tended to. I will be arranging for them to be provided proper clothing and be taken back to the Imperial Palace for rehabilitation. Under no circumstances are any of the soldiers to touch them in an inappropriate manner! Do I make myself clear, Lord General?"

Rithas resisted the urge to smirk. He had his doubts that mere words from even the Emperor would keep war-weary men away from a bevy of nubile naked lasses who were more than willing to tend to their frustrated sexual needs. "As crystal, my Emperor."

"Make sure those orders get to your Commander word for word, Rithas."

"I will indeed."

Z'haas frowned. "Tell me one thing, Lord General. Why are you not leading this effort yourself?"

"On the contrary, my Emperor, I am very much leading it. I am back at my northern field base."

"Yes, but you are within Imperial lands. Why are you not in personal charge of those legions in the field?"

"Would you have preferred that I had been the one to receive the crossbow bolt?"

"You are not going to suggest that you actually sensed a possible danger to yourself?"

Rithas paused, then seized the opportunity. "No, but some of my adjuncts grow nervous when I take to the field of battle with the men."

Off to the side, Foron shifted his weight.

Z'haas nodded. "Very well. You will contact me the moment that the legions reach the Manor. I wish to know when this mission is completed."

Rithas was almost amused. Did the Emperor seriously believe that the two men he sought would actually remain at the Manor once they knew of the Imperial legions approaching? Did he forget that each Overlord Manor had a Portal device? There would be no deterring him, however, and likely no way to cool his fiery wrath once things did go wrong. By then he hoped that another distraction would come into play.

"Yes, my Emperor," said Rithas dutifully.

"There will be no deviation from these plans," said Z'haas. "No creative interpretations. There is only one clear path, and that is mine."

Rithas would have laughed if he did not think it was so pathetic. "Of course, my Emperor."

"I will contact you every day for status reports. Good day." The Emperor faded before Rithas could respond.

Foron cleared his throat. "Yes, what is it?" said Rithas without turning.

Foron stepped up to him. "You wished to be informed when the last of the ammunition for the catapults had arrived."

Rithas turned to him. "Good. So the legions are ready."

"As ready as they will be for conducting a secret attack. At least for as long as it will remain secret."

"Hmm?"

The adjunct glanced towards the door for a moment. He lowered his voice. "The Emperor has people directly loyal to him among the ranks. They will inform the Emperor once you begin your advance."

"Do you have men you can trust? Ones loyal to me rather than Z'haas?"

"Yes, a few."

"Gather them. Task them with this: manufacture a reason for war."

Foron frowned. "I don't understand."

"Stage an attack. Or an act of sabotage."

"Against our own soldiers?"

"Yes. Then we can respond to this outrageous act and pursue them across the border. We pick our first target as one that is moderately defended, so we can claim that is where they retreated to."

Foron looked distressed. "Lord General, I am not at all sure about this."

"You worry too much," said Rithas with a small smile. "It will work. And we can get on with the incursion as originally planned. A real campaign this time, and not this nonsense the Emperor has foisted upon us."

"But surely he will not tolerate you taking the second legion!"

"It is largely in a supporting role. I hope to get back a legion from the two that took Talrad Pass."

Foron nodded uncertainly. "Very well, my Lord. But before we begin the attack, you need to attend to straightening out a supply mix-up. The second legion has way too many supplies for its support role. Some of those must have been intended for the first legion."

"Do not concern yourself with the issue," Rithas said firmly.

Foron paused. "You will take care of it, then, my Lord?"

"I said, do not concern yourself with the issue."

Foron gave him a dubious look.

Rithas placed a hand on his shoulder. "I ask you to trust me. I have gotten us this far. This will be a glorious campaign. We will be hailed as heroes to the Empire."

This appeared to mollify Foron. His lips curled into a tiny smile. "I'll get on that, ah, special task right away."

"Very good. Carry on."

The adjunct nodded and left.

The situation was fragile. It relied on him keeping his secrets a little longer. One of them -- the hoarded supply -- had already escaped somehow. Fortunately, the most vital secret, that of the true intelligence concerning Duric's encroaching forces, had not been disseminated. Since all such reports came through him before going to his men, he had control of that information. He did not want his adjuncts to know of the real danger.

Even then, there was the timing. Duric's forces had to be allowed to wear down the Imperial legions just enough, and hope that they received casualties in return, enough for Rithas to sweep them aside and turn against the remnants of Z'haas' defenders and his Imperial guard.

Then Rithas could take the throne for himself and end this madness.


Freya shot out of bed. "Get out!" she shouted to her slaves. When they looked at her in bewilderment, she turned frantically to her Trainer. "Taya, take them out of here. Now!"

"Yes, Mistress, at once!" said Taya. She quickly shepherded the now trembling young Narlassi slaves out of Freya's quarters.

Freya let out a sigh of exasperation. She hastily smoothed her dress so that it fell down over her exposed sex as she turned back to the Farview image of Trennan. "Surely ... surely there's been a mistake!"

Trennan shook his head slowly. "There is no mistaking this, Freya. My intelligence was quite clear. The legions that broke through Talrad Pass separated. One is continuing on to the D'yoran Manor, the other is crossing the forest to your Manor."

"It makes no sense!" Freya cried. "Why would the Emperor want with me? What have I done to cross him?"

"I am not the one to ask, Freya. I know nothing of the Emperor's motivations. However, his disdain for the slave trade is well known."

"He cannot just ... just take matters into his own hands like this!"

"Perhaps he is using the cover of war for his own aims."

"He cannot move against the Overlords!" Freya shouted.

Trennan sighed impatiently. "I suggest you tell him that yourself. Perhaps he will turn back."

Freya sneered. "Do not get that attitude with me, Trennan, I'll have none of it."

"And I will not have you dictate my feelings on the matter," said Trennan coldly. "I have warned you about this before. Do not attempt to intimidate me. I do not fall sway to you as so many other Overlords might."

"Oh, you were perfectly willing to go along with me regarding Roquan."

"Because you brought up a legitimate grievance against him. I am not in this to peddle influence. Do not insult me by suggesting that I am."

Freya ran a hand through her hair, her eyes desperate. "How long until they're here, Trennan?"

"I would say about a quarter moon."

Freya shook her head. "No, this cannot be happening. Trennan, your intelligence must be wrong. The old forest road is too narrow for legions to advance. They would have to clear..."

Trennan frowned. "Fine. Ignore it then, and be overrun by the Emperor's soldiers."

"I don't mean that! I mean I cannot believe that the Emperor would be so foolish. I haven't heard anything about it from ... well..."

Trennan's eyes became ice. "Your little clandestine spying operation on Roquan?"

Freya glared. "Yes, that."

"Likely Duric has not contacted him yet. I imagine he is a very busy man."

"I have to check this out. I have to see if anyone else can confirm this."

"Do as you wish. But I would suggest that you make arrangements to leave as a contingency."

Freya nodded. "Yes, I have to find somewhere I can go. I..." She looked up. "Trennan, could... ?"

"Absolutely not."

"Hellfire, Trennan, be reasonable!"

"I am. And practical. Within a moon, either one of us would be ready to kill the other. You will have to find your sanctuary somewhere else."

Freya frowned. "There are plenty of Overlords that would take me in."

Trennan issued an exaggerated sigh. "I grow weary of this. I have done my duty to a fellow Overlord, now I take my leave. Good day."

"Trennan, wait, don't ... you bastard..."

Freya uttered the last two words after Trennan's image had faded from sight.


It took every last bit of self-discipline that Jollis possessed to remain calm and not lash out physically at the Overlord. Had he wished, he could have executed a move that would have dislocated at least two joints and knocked Gronnus out cold, all the time it took a normal man to inhale and exhale once.

Instead, he left his hands folded almost demurely before him, eyes steady and fixed upon the Overlord as he alternately ranted against the Emperor and pleaded with the same as if Z'haas could somehow hear his supplications and stop the advance of the legions.

Finally, the Wanderer's patience came to an end. "I am most sorry to interrupt, Overlord, but what is it you wish of me?"

Gronnus stared and sputtered as he tried to speak again. "I-I ... the legions ... the Emperor ... Jollis, you have to help me!"

Jollis should have expected this. Nevertheless, he felt a surge of rising indignation. He carefully quelled it, though channeled some of its strength into conviction. "I am unclear as to what you expect me to do about this unfortunate development."

Gronnus stared in abject horror. Even he had grown used to Jollis having a ready answer. "But ... but you're threatened as well! The Emperor is coming for both of us!"

Jollis did not believe that Gronnus truly knew of the Emperor's motivations. Even Jollis himself was unsure. All circumstantial evidence pointed to the possibility that he was the true target. He doubted Gronnus understood this point.

Jollis offered the Overlord a small smile. "Ah, but I have had no direct dealings with this Emperor of yours. It is unlikely he even knows my name. But you, my dear Overlord, you have colluded with him. Perhaps you are no longer in favor with him."

"Stop playing games with me, merchant!" Gronnus sneered. "You know that I had already fallen out of favor with Z'haas!"

"Then I would say he was merely delayed in dispensing what he considers to be justice."

Gronnus looked stricken. "He cannot possibly hold a grudge against me for this long!"

"It has been my experience, Overlord, that Emperor Z'haas has a long memory. It is likely that he never forgot and never forgave. Like most men of great power, he has no need to do either."

Gronnus swallowed. "Jollis ... please ... please find a way to help me! Find a way to keep me safe! The Emperor will kill me!"

Gronnus' voice became increasingly shrill, like a child having a tantrum. Jollis felt his stomach turn at the man's cowardice. "I suggest you use whatever connections you have with the other Overlords to get away. You have a Portal device. All you need is a willing focus."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.