Billy Learns the Facts of Life: First Job - Cover

Billy Learns the Facts of Life: First Job

Copyright© 2008 by Lee Smith

Chapter 1

"Bill?"

"What's up Dad?"

"I just got called from work. Seems a couple of guys are out sick and they need me to come in. Would you do me a favor and mow the lawn today? It certainly needs it plus I'll pay you $10."

"Not a problem, Dad. The lawn does look like it could use a good mowing and I can certainly use an extra $10."

"Thanks Son, I'll see you this evening."

"Good dinner, Dear. You make the best Swiss Steak I have ever eaten."

"Thank you Honey."

"Bill, the yard looks good. I'll get your money after dinner."

"OK Dad," Bill said after savoring another bite of his Mother's delicious Swiss Steak meal. "I had a strange thing happen today. Mrs. Higgins from next door came over and asked if I could mow her yard once a week. She asked if you were paying me and, if so, how much it was. She said she'd pay the same."

Bill's Mother jumped in, "Is she all right? She's always done her own yard work."

"Oh yeah, she's OK," Bill said. "She told me she doesn't enjoy the mowing part and if I'll do that she can spend more time on her flowers. She also said she would pay me extra for the edging when it needs it."

"What did you tell her?" His Father asked.

"I told her I would have to ask you. It's your mower," Bill chuckled. "Then, a few minutes later Mr. Johnson from the other side of us came over and asked to do his lawn once a week. He said something about his knees bothering him. I told him how much I was getting and then told him the same thing I told Mrs. Higgins.

"So, what do you think Dad?"

"Well, I think you're thirteen years old and old enough to make your own decisions as long as you have all the information you need.

"I don't mind you using our mower but I do think you should be responsible for the gas and oil plus the weekly maintenance. How's that sound?"

Bill thought a minute, "I'm OK with that as long as you show what the weekly maintenance needs are and how to do them."

His Dad asked, "Have you given any thought as to when you're going to do these yards?"

"Yep," Bill said. "Rather then give up my Saturday I thought I could come home and do them after school. I can do the Higgins's yard on Tuesday and Mr. Johnson's on Wednesday."

"Sounds good, Son. I'll tell you what. You can do our lawn on Thursday every week and I'll add another $10 to that extra $20 you're going to have. We'll call the extra edging the rent on the mower. Okay?"

"Great! I'll go tell them right after dinner and see if those days are OK with them."

Bill attacked the rest of his dinner with a vengeance.

"Dad, I've got a question."

Dad looked up from the book he was reading, "What's that?"

"Do you remember when I had that report on the Seven Wonders of the World?"

"Sure."

"Well, you made a comment that's been running through my mind ever since I started doing these yards."

"Oh and what would that be?"

"You said, if I remember correctly, saving money is easy. Did you mean it?"

"Absolutely but, I am getting the impression you've run head-on into the part of the statement I didn't tell you; that spending money is even easier. Am I right?"

"You couldn't be righter.

"Since I've gotten these jobs I've got money in my pocket. When I used to go to the Mall or the Dairy Queen it was always, 'I wish I could buy that'. Now, I've got money it's changed to, 'Hey, I can afford that' and, before I know it most of my money's gone. What am I doing wrong?"

Dad reached his hand over his left shirt pocket and patted it looking for a cigarette. He quit smoking several years ago but I'd noticed when someone asked a question that required a little thought he always reached for that lost cigarette. Instead of lighting up he leaned back in his chair, scratched his right ear, licked his lips and looked at me.

"Bill, that question is going to take a little time to answer. Today's Friday and I've got a date with your Mom in about an hour. How about we let this rest until tomorrow when you and I can sit down and take the proper amount of time to discuss the issue? Is that OK with you?"

I smiled to myself on hearing about Mom and Dad going on a date. They had started having 'dates' together once a month or so several months back. Mom said it made her feel appreciated. Dad privately called the dates an 'investment in the future'. All I knew was they were both outwardly happier after the dating began.

"Sure thing Dad. How about after lunch tomorrow?"

"Sounds good Son, I'm looking forward to it."

Dad and I were back in his office where this whole adventure had started. This was where he made that silly comment about saving money and, hopefully, here was where I was going to learn how and why he thought it's easy to do that.

"Well, Bill, let's start this little discussion with a simple question; how much money do you have left from your earnings?"

"Nothing." I admitted. I knew my head was hanging down. 'Ah hell, William, admit it, you're ashamed of yourself.' Sometimes I really wish I didn't have to have these conversations with myself.

"Frankly Dad, I'm ashamed of myself."

"I can understand that Bill. You've been doing the lawns for five weeks now. You make $30 a week so you've earned $150 and have spent it all. Is that about right?"

I hated that question. Of course it's right. As much as I didn't want to admit, my Dad is almost always right about most things.

"Yeah, $150 gone like smoke in a strong wind. As I asked before, what am I doing wrong?"

"Well Son, I've given this some thought and I think we'll attack your question from another angle then just answering it. I want to talk about your camping.

"You've been a Boy Scout for a few years and one of the things you seem to like the best is camping so I'm going to start there.

"When you go camping Bill what do you take with you?"

"When I go camping? I gotta tell ya, Dad, this doesn't make any sense to me but I'll go alone with you. Let's see;, I stopped and thought for a minute or two. " I take a tent, sleeping bag, clothes, food, utensils, extra socks, personal care stuff and a rain parka."

"OK, now, make a list of what you said you take and, don't forget to add the backpack you didn't mention."

I made the list. Actually, it didn't take very long. I asked dad, "Do you want me to list the various clothes I take and the different food I take?"

"Actually, yes I do but don't be exact. Under clothes list things like underwear and how many sets, under food, list the staples but other things like butter or salt and pepper just list them as condiments."

With that the list took a little longer but I was finished pretty quickly.

"OK, now what?" I asked.

"Now we are going to list each item as a need, a want or a 'just in case'. Just write N, W or J after each entry."

"OK. First backpack — definitely a need. Same for sleeping bag and tent. Food is a need and so are clothes, utensils, personal care items, rain poncho and extra socks. I suppose condiments are more of a want rather than a need as I can always eat the food without the extra stuff."

"So far, so good Bill but I would question the rain poncho and the extra socks. I would think the same reasoning you used for the condiments would apply to the poncho and socks. Also, I've watched you pack up for several of these trips and I don't see some things on your list I remember being in your pack. Don't you usually take chocolate bars, marshmallows and graham crackers with you?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot those things."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.