Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 60: That will teach me to watch what I say

Morning came early. I didn't regret in the slightest what I did last night. Goddess, that woman could kiss. Tara was up before me and already had someone deliver fresh water. I didn't want to be a pain but I wished that I could convince them to boil it before they brought it to me. I was afraid of catching some disease.

Wait, I can heal.

Maybe I am not so worried about that but I would rather not waste my strength fighting one off.

Breakfast with Chandra was quiet, we were both tired. I did let her know that Yolanda had told me whose idea it was to ambush me when I asked her last night. She just grinned and said that I deserved it. I couldn't argue with her, I know I did, but that wouldn't stop me from making her pay.

I took a small pouch with me to the temple. I wanted to tithe a portion of the money that I confiscated from the wizard that I killed in Silverdale.

We walked by the predawn light to the temple. Chandra had been to the temple yesterday so she already knew the way. I'd have to get a better map then the cursory verbal once over about what was where in this town that Megan gave me on the ride in. That the temple district was immediately east of the Nobles quarter made it a short walk.

"I told the prince yesterday that I was a Wizard Lord. To say that he was not happy is an understatement. I also found out that he called an emergency meeting of the council. My guess is that they now know and soon the whole city will know. I don't see them keeping it a secret."

"I'm not sure about that, My Lord. Some might want it kept a secret."

"Why?"

"So that they can use you against their enemies. You might be better off if everyone knew."

"Hmm. I'll have to think about that."

"As you wish, My Lord."

Kassandra's Temple in Fairview was smaller than the one in Royal Oak, it was laid out the same and since we arrived before dawn it was silent. Kassandra's Light shone from within the grounds, radiating up into the early morning sky. With Chandra to my left I approached the gate, seeing two sisters flanking an older sister just inside. That had to be the Mother.

The gates were not barred to me, but the women were there specifically to deal with me. I felt my blood sing as I set foot across the invisible line separating the city cobbles from the hallowed ground of the temple. A smile crept to my face of its own accord.

I bowed to the High Priestess. "Good Morning, Mother."

"Morning, Lord Charles." She gave me the slightest bow in return.

"I hope that my Postulant has made the correct arrangements for training this morning?"

"Yes, your Postulant ... How did you come by her?"

Ah, the Inquisition, 'No one expects the Spanish Inquisition'.

"Mother Browynn gave her to me."

"She did, did she?"

"Chandra, what were Mother Browynn's exact words?"

"Mother Diana, she said: 'You are to stay by Lord Charles's side and obey him until he releases you, or you can best him in the circle.'"

"Postulant Chandra, have you been able to best him in the circle?"

"No, Mother Diana. I don't think that anyone in the world can best My Lord in single combat," she stated with more pride than was good for either of us.

Mother Diana's stony face just became a black diamond. All edges and sharp angles to match her naturally dark complexion.

Remind me to beat her for that.

"What she means is that I have a singular style that no one has seen before and that makes it difficult for anyone to figure out how to counter my skill." I glared at Chandra to keep quiet.

"Is that true, girl? Is that what you meant?"

Chandra glanced at me biting her lower lip in consternation. I nodded permission.

"Don't look at him, I asked you a question."

Placing my hand on Chandra's shoulder to keep her from speaking, I replied "She was instructed to obey me by her Mother. Until she is released, I am her first priority. The girl has done no wrong." Still concentrating on Mother Diana, I continued: "You may answer fully and honestly, Postulant." I swear that I would not be surprised if Mother Diana's face cracked and had chips fly off of it every time that she spoke.

Chandra was not in a good situation, but she had given her allegiance to me and was not about to waver. "No, Mother, I meant what I said. He could easily best Mother Browynn in a duel if he chose to. Lord Charles dueled Sister Cynthia and defeated her in a few heartbeats and she was trying to kill him."

"Tell her what I am, Chandra."

Chandra looked at me in disbelief. "She will find out sooner or later."

"He's a Wizard Lord, Mother. I have seen it with my own eyes."

"Humph. How would you know what one is, you are just a girl?"

"We can sit here all morning debating what you want to do with me." I wasn't going to let Chandra and Mother Diana fight over Chandra's qualifications. "If you have a problem with allowing me to train my Postulant here, ask Kassandra what you should do. I'm sure that the Bright Lady knows that I belong. Otherwise show me which training area we are to use and let us be."

We stood staring at each other, Mother Diana and I. I knew that she could see my aura and knew that it matched Chandra's for color. Mine was just that much brighter. Her aura was brighter than Chandra's but not by as much as I expected. "Show him to Chapel Yard." With that she turned and left the Sister on the left to take us to a training area.

That Sister never spoke to either of us. She just gestured toward the area and left.

"Not very welcoming, are they?"

"Wizards have always been untrustworthy, My Lord. Some moreso than others. There is a saying that nothing good comes from a wizard."

"Do you believe that?"

"Yes, My Lord."

Hm.

Does that mean that you do not consider me a wizard?"

"Yes, My Lord."

"Yes you do or yes you don't consider me a Wizard?"

"I don't know, but I trust you, My Lord." That was more than good enough for me.

"Lets start." After our warm-up, which had become more rigorous over the month since we first started together, I worked her hard. I brought extra food and water for our breaks. We worked for half an hour, broke for five minutes and repeated. I found that this was good for a long workout. We hadn't been as regimented as I wanted us to be. I planned on changing that, I wanted to work on her form more and spend an hour a day working in tandem.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.