Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 44: Nobility equals privilege

"What about my sword? It cuts through everything and it glows."

"If you say so, My Lord, but your sword doesn't glow. It is you that glows," Chandra responded. She thought for a second and then continued, "Does your sword cut through everything or do you enhance your strength to cut through your target?"

I thought about that. She was probably right on that one she knew more about magic than I did. I enhanced my strength whenever I fought. Come to think of it, I enhanced my stamina and my speed too.

She interrupted my thinking, "My Lord, you act as if this is new to you."

I placed my finger against her lips. "You can't tell anyone this, but it is. I didn't have magic where I came from. I only got it after I came here."

"Oh." I could tell that she didn't know what to say to that.

"Will you keep my secret?" I asked softly.

"Even from Lady Megan?" she asked. There was a rivalry there that I hadn't seen before. I needed to keep an eye on it so that it didn't get out of hand.

"Yes, even from her. I won't ask that you keep it from Mother Browynn, but no one else should find out." I thought that she understood the reasoning better than I did.

"Yes, Milord, I will."

"Thank you, Chandra. Now let's get this message sent."

There were a few men in the barracks below waiting for us. The sergeant from earlier and a couple of older soldiers, these looked to be the type that were used to giving orders and doing what needed to be done.

"Who is the senior officer here?" I asked.

One of the men that had a face that someone had played tic-tac-toe on, more than once, stepped forward. "My Lord, you killed our commander and his second. I am the senior sergeant here."

"Will you have a problem assuming command of this post?" I asked of him.

"No, Milord, I expect no problems," he replied formally.

"What's your name, soldier?"

"Gordon, Milord."

"Gordon, have my earlier orders been carried out?"

"Yes, Milord, the message has been sent up the path to tell the men to pull back; I assume that you will parley with the Fairview commander?"

"Yes, I will deal with the Fairview commander. I have a message to send to the King, I need you to detail a courier to deliver it." I handed him the message that Chandra wrote.

"Yes, Milord."

"I am going to rest here tonight and leave first thing in the morning. Is there a suitable dwelling for us to stay in until then?"

"You could use the commander's house, Milord," offered one of the sergeants.

"What of his family?"

"He sent them away last month, Milord," replied the same sergeant.

"Then have one of your men show us where it is. I also want you to see that the men who died today receive an honorable burial and that the Duke is sent back to his ancestral home for burial."

"Sergeant Gordon, the command is now yours." They all saluted me and I returned it.

The two men that I told to watch our horses earlier were still there and so were the horses. Sergeant Gordon followed us out and had the men show us to the commander's house, since we would be staying there, and see to it that our wants are taken care of.

"Chandra, would you see to it that Megan has as room that is suitable for her? I'll go and get her and bring her here." I asked once we reached the former commander's house. She said that she would.

The Mayor and his wife were still talking to Megan when I returned. From his cringe when I addressed him, I obviously scared the shit out of the Mayor and for once I didn't even care. I knew that there was nothing that I could do to change it. So I ignored it. Ignoring him might have made what ever future confrontation that much worse, but again I just could not bring myself to care.

"Excuse us, Mayor, but we shall take our leave. We appreciate your hospitality." I sounded too formal, but there was something about him I didn't like.

"My Lady." I offered my arm to Megan. She heard something in my tone that caused her to stiffen, but accepted my arm anyway. I led her out to her carriage and we took the short trip to the former commander's house.

I felt that the town should be safe for us, but I didn't want to take any chances. I led her into the house that I commandeered and made sure that the guards were posted around it. I also wanted to make sure that the soldiers guarded the carriage and the horses so I found Armand and Hector and asked them to oversee the carriage and the horses. They insisted that that was their job and that I needn't worry. I didn't want to stay in this town any longer than I had to and planned on leaving first think in the morning. Armand asked for some money for provisions and I gave him extra, with the caveat that he not scrimp on fresh fruits and veggies.

When I finished with Armand I entered the house looking for a comfie chair. The main room was empty, a woman prepared dinner under Chandra's oversight and Megan closed herself up in her room. Not seeing anything that required my attention, I took off my sword, sat down to relax. I knew that I was missing something, maybe a lot of somethings. Like: why didn't anyone have a problem with me killing their duke? That one still confused me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.