Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 19: The accusations fly

At least until we went to get our mounts the next morning, that is.

We were up and ready before dawn, I sent Meri over to the stable to make sure that the horses would be ready for us to leave when we were done eating. Orlanth and I finished our meal and Meri still hadn't come back, I figured that something was amiss so I had him get his gear and meet me across the street.

Instantly, I knew something was wrong when I approached the stable and no one was near it. I could see people surreptitiously looking at me from a distance as I neared the building. It was as if they were told to not come near, and don't look, so they had to look and make it look like they were not looking.

I slid my hand down, and as unobtrusively as possible loosened my sword with my left thumb before I entered.

The stable was clear of people except for a little girl that was waiting for me. She was around twelve, short brown hair, brown eyes, clean with a large frame, and a nondescript homespun dress.

"Milord, my Mistress awaits you in her temple. You need to come with me." She seemed sure of herself; the training at the temple must include lessons on how to browbeat the farmers in the region. I was sure that Meri was safe with the Earth Mother.

"Young lady." I began with an amused smile.

"I'm not a lady, I'm an acolyte." She puffed up with importance.

Chuckle.

"Very well, acolyte. I'll go and see your mistress; would you go to the inn and tell Orlanth to wait for me there?"

"Yes, Milord, I'll tell him."

"Thank you." I turned and walked to the temple. I wasn't sure what this was about, but I didn't feel in danger. That isn't to say that I wasn't going to be on guard. I slowed my pace a touch and tried to extend my perceptions. I could feel the eyes of the town on me, they weren't exactly hostile, but neither were they friendly.

Caution and fear, but they don't know why.

I stopped at the Earth Mother's statue and bowed my respect before I stepped to the entrance. I knocked on the doorframe and waited for an invitation to enter.

A fortyish, square boned, matron with blond hair that long ago lost the battle from going gray stepped in front of me from the inside. Time and the sun had been hard on her; this was someone who lived their whole life in the fields of her flock. She looked at me long and hard before she stepped back.

With a look of distaste, she invited me in.

The floor was soft loam, the good stuff that my mom would have paid a fortune to use in her flowerbeds. There were ivy and various plants growing along up to the ceiling, which had countless slits in it to allow light, and most likely the rain too. The hemispherical temple was completely open; there was nothing hidden nor were any sight lines obscured. I figured that the priestess stood in the middle with her flock encircling her.

Meri was sitting in the rear munching on a bowl of veggies and a chunk of bread. She looked worried but fine.

The whole time that I was looking over the temple, I was going under the same scrutiny by the priestess.

Since this was her place and she asked me to come, I would let her speak first. I didn't have to wait long; it seems that patience with plants does not always equate patience with people.

"What game are you playing?" She abruptly asked.

It seemed that she was going to treat me like any of her flock. That could work in my advantage. "Game? I am not playing at any games. I merely bought a horse."

"I don't care about the horses or you throwing away your money. The Girl you fool, what you did to the girl is what I care about."

I tried to think what the hell she was talking about. That's when I remembered the benediction, or whatever the hell it was, that I gave to the girl and wished her to be well.

"Yes, that is what I am talking about." She nearly yelled when she saw the recognition flash across my face.

Composure was not in this Earth Mother priestesses' make-up, I noticed. "I just wished her well." I stated almost arrogantly, "I don't see why you didn't help her earlier. She was obviously in pain."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.