Escape: the Rest of the Story - Cover

Escape: the Rest of the Story

Copyright© 2008 by The Mage

Chapter 8

After the dance, the four women returned to the house, changed clothes and went to help with the preparations for the morning meal. It was a large country meal of sausage, steak, flapjacks, home fries and eggs all chased down with strong hot coffee.

The dance had relieved some of the nervous pressure felt by the participants and spectators, alike. Therefore everyone ate heartily, and groaned at their full stomachs after the meal.

Once the dishes were cleared away and the coffee cups refilled, Flint stood to address the gathering.

"I know that you're all wondering why I called you here on such short notice. Believe me! I wouldn't have without a very good reason..."

"Yah! The boat! She was to leave, taday! What can be so dam 'portant to make me hold off on de 'parture?" interrupted a disgruntled Ed.

"I already told..."

"Grandfather? Please let me tell them. It is, after all, my fault," interrupted Amelia.

Everyone in the room turned to look at the new Amelia, stunned by her transformation. This was no bubbly teenager! This was a self-possessed, self-assured young woman that commanded attention and respect!

Amelia stood regally erect, and spoke quietly, yet with authority. She commanded the attention of all present, without argument. Her articulation was precise and concise as she softly but firmly asked all to be patient, and not interrupt until she was finished telling her story.

Just as shocked as the rest of the gathering, Flint nodded his acquiescence and sat down.

"Many years ago, when I was little more than a toddler, my parents and I lived in the forests of Maine. We lived hidden in the woods because my parents had gifts. Gifts that turned into a tremendous curse!

"You would call their gifts ESP. You see ... they could hear the thoughts of others.

Dr. Mark could not contain himself, and began to ask questions.

Amelia silenced him with a stern look, saying, "Please, Dr. Mark, I will answer all of your questions, but you must be patient."

She then continued her narrative.

"My parents were not stupid but they were, sadly, naïve. At first they did not understand that there are people that, for evil reasons, wish to control those that have such gifts.

"Because of that one simple mistake many people died, including my parents. A General named Vezza sent mercenaries to kidnap my parents.

"You might ask how the General found out about my parents and their gifts? My cousin Donnie, the 'black sheep' of the family, sold the information to the General. And again, you might ask, how did Donnie know? Because my naïve parents told the whole family of their gifts!

"In the beginning, they thought it was 'way cool', just like you Kate! Others in the family didn't think that being so open was such a good idea. It took some talking but my folks were finally convinced, and the whole family was sworn to secrecy.

"Their powers grew as they matured. It got to the point that there was no peace from the cacophony of the thoughts of others! My poor parents were inundated with so much mental noise that it was like standing in Grand Central Station at rush hour. Can you imagine that much noise, twenty-four/seven?

"That's when we started traveling. We were in search of a quiet place. It took a year but we found one in the woods of Maine, near an old mine. That was the happiest that I can remember them ever being.

"Then one night my mother heard the attackers in her head. They were coming to kidnap my family. Mom and Dad may have been naïve but they each had a genius level IQ.

"Daddy had made plans and all of the mercenaries were killed but unfortunately so were my folks. Mom did manage to radio Gramps and he came and rescued me."

Amelia indicated Flint with a nod of her head. Of course, everyone had to look at him. What they all saw, sobered them even more. Flint, the 'big, strong man'; was sitting with tears streaming down his face, as he relived that horrible time.

Amelia continued, saying, "Gramps is no dummy, either. He had laid out escape plans, too. His were more successful, as you can see. We ended up here, with new identities.

"Even more horrible, though, was the fact that the General went after the rest of our family. With in a few weeks, all those that refused to take Gramp's warnings seriously and flee as we did, were dead or missing.

"Those that were found, were dead, and had been horribly tortured!

"That brings us to the present and the problems that you have made for us, doctor. In your excitement, you have talked! That talk will make its way back to the General, or others like him.

"We have very little time to deal with this situation. I will now turn this meeting back over to my Grandfather. He is far more qualified to set forth what we should do next. Grandfather?"

The room was deathly still as the enormity of the situation began to sink into their collective psyches.

Flint started, pulled himself out of the past, cleared his throat and wiped his face. He then stood and said, "I think that this is a good time for a short break. I, for one, have had far too much coffee this morning. I'm sure others of you are in the same boat. Let's take fifteen minutes, shall we?"

With that, he headed for the bathroom, followed by most of the others. All were so stunned that the procession to the rest room was silent.

Without anyone being aware of it, Amelia was using her new talents to scan the thoughts of the gathering. The first thing she noted was that Kate and Aya were going to be trouble. They were too young to fully grasp the scope of the problem. They could only see that they were going to have to leave everything that they knew, their homes, friends, and particularly two certain boys.

The doctor was not going to be happy with the loss of his profession either. He wanted fame above all else. Though that fact had not jelled as of yet. Amelia would be his ticket to being awarded the Nobel Prize! Could he be persuaded to keep silent?

Amelia kept her own council for the moment, and went to her Grandfather. Even though she was now fully matured in mind and spirit she still was a woman. Like any human, man or women, she had a need to receive physical comfort from those that she loved. This she did, by sliding under Flint's arms for a hug.

"This is going to be so hard, Gramps," she said as she rested her cheek on the big man's chest.

"Yes it's going to be a bear!"

"Do you have any idea where we should go?"

"Yes, several. The thing is that everything depends on what the others want. I get the feeling that there is going to be some major resistance on Mark's part."

"Yes I saw that, too. And the girls aren't going to want to leave all of their friends, either ... especially Joe and Frank."

"Damn, it was so much easier when you were young. The bigger the group gets, the harder this thing is going to be to pull off."

The group had broken up and formed into small clusters. Emma and Kate, the Bergstrums, Mark and Sara, and Flint and Amelia. Most were just discussing the problem, some were a bit heated but Mark was having a full-blown argument with Sara. The man was livid over the fact that he would not be able to announce 'his discovery' to the world.

"But don't you understand that we have to get the subject into testing and..."

"She is not 'the subject', she is Amelia and she doesn't want to go into testing! Don't you see?"

"We have to convince her that she owes it to society. We could push forward the understanding of the brain on so many levels!"

"Your just as bad as Dr. Black," said Sara as she turned her back on Mark and started to walk away.

"But Sara you must understand..."

"Oh, I understand all right. You want to write a book and get notoriety. You have no interest in the fact that this sweet girl will be imprisoned and turned into a lab rat. You disgust me!"

Sara stomped off into the back yard, slamming the door as she went. All activity had stopped as attention was drawn to the heated argument. Now the doctor turned toward Flint and Amelia continuing to carry on the fight, but with new targets.

"This is bigger than any individual! You must submit to testing so that..."

Amelia moved from Flints hug and stood straight, "You say that I need to submit to testing, but at what cost, doctor. I'll tell you the cost! My life! Sara is right and I will not become a lab rat for you. Never!"

"You must I ... that is we ... science needs to learn..."

Amelia countered, "I am a rare aberration not the norm and, therefore, will not add to the useful knowledge of science. I..."

Before Amelia could finish her statement, Flint moved. He quickly grabbed the doctor, and shoved him into one of the kitchen chairs.

"Amelia! Get me the rope from the junk drawer!" ordered Flint.

Though shocked Amelia still acted quickly. Once Flint had bound the protesting doctor he turned to the others.

"This man threatens the lives of all here. I know that you find it hard to believe but Black Ops people don't leave witnesses. If he talks we all die!"

Fearing that, if he left the room, the others would release Mark from his bindings, Flint asked Amelia to get a box from his office.

"In this box is the proof of what I say. These are the news clipping of the deaths and disappearances of the members of our family that refused to flee."

Flint upended the box onto the table for all to see.

By this time the shock was wearing off. Ed, not a dumb person, said, "Yah, if dis is all true, den Flint is right. Dr. Mark is a tret to us."

All along Mark alternated, yelling to be set free and that it was the duty of Amelia and Flint to submit to medical science. Finally Flint had enough and gagged Mark just as Sara returned.

"WHAT'S GOING ON? WHY HAVE YOU TIED MARK UP?" screamed Sara as she ran to Mark, and tried to untie him.

Flint grasped her wrists, and said firmly, "You will leave him alone or the same thing will happen to you. Do you understand?"

"Sara come sit, look at these papers, then you will understand," said Siv.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.