Escape: the Rest of the Story - Cover

Escape: the Rest of the Story

Copyright© 2008 by The Mage

Chapter 5

Emma moved into Flint's house, while Kate was still in the hospital. The woman was nothing if not extremely efficient. She soon had the house organized to handle the two invalids.

Flint's downstairs office/study was moved upstairs to the third story of the old Victorian mansion and the now vacant room was turned into Kate's bedroom. Stairs were impossible for her in her condition. The dining room became the physical therapy room, since it was next to Kate's room.

Amelia's bed was removed and replaced with a hospital bed, and space was made for the various pieces of electronic monitoring equipment.

Hattie's old craft room became Emma's bedroom.

Once the changes were made to Flint's house Emma placed the rest of her furniture into a storage pod and found a Realtor.

All of these things were somehow accomplished between the many visits to the hospital.

Flint watched in amazement as the diminutive woman got more out of the movers than he ever could have. Emma was a force of nature and the complete opposite to his first wife, who had been a wonderful but demure woman.

Three weeks after the offer was made, Emma stood in front of her now empty house. The tears were streaming down her cheeks as she watched the Realtor hammer the 'For Sale' sign into the lawn.

The only glitch in the plan, turned out to be Amelia's Doctor. He was not well pleased that Flint was taking her out of the hospital. Flint came very close to throttling the man for his 'Holier than Thou' attitude. Things came to a head when the Doctor called Flint 'a very stupid person', and said that he would not sign the release papers.

As Flint's blood began to boil he felt a gentile touch on his arm and looked down to see Emma shaking her head.

Still seeing red Flint sputtered, "But this fool..."

Emma just reached up and gently placed two fingers on Flint's lips, just as Hattie had. All of the fight went out of him and he allowed himself to be led off to the side.

"He's not the only Doctor in town, you know. Why don't you just fire this guy, and get another. Kate's Doctor is a nice man, and seems to really know his stuff. Why don't we go and see if he will take Amelia on."

"You are a wonder! That's a terrific idea! Let's go do it right now."

As the two walked away, the arrogant Doctor was thinking that he had won the battle and thought, "This ought to be worth that new BMW-X5."

His smile was so obviously self-indulgent, that everyone at the Nurse's station knew what he was thinking. They all turned their backs on him in disgust, but he didn't care one whit.

Ten minutes later his smile faded when he saw Dr. Jackson get off of the elevator with the girl's Grandfather and that filthy mud woman—how he hated anyone that was not a Caucasian.

Doctor Jackson went over to the Nurse's station and asked for Amelia's charts. The Nurse hesitated and said, "But you're not her Physician."

"I am now," he said with a broad smile.

The Nurse smiled back, and said under her breath, "Excellent!"

Dr. Jackson's hearing being extremely good, he just winked back at what the Nurse had said. She gave a little giggle, and then covered her mouth in embarrassment.

While this was taking place Flint had walked over to Dr. Black.

"As of this moment you are fired, Dr. Black. I don't want you anywhere near my girl. Do you understand me?"

Seeing his beautiful car disappear into thin air, Dr. Black lost it and screamed at Flint.

"You have no right! I'll get the courts to make her a ward of the state for your dangerous behavior."

Flint was not impressed.

"You will do nothing of the sort! I have replaced you with Dr. Jackson. You will turn all records over to him."

"I will not! In fact I'll get his privileges revoked, and then get the hospital's lawyers to file suit this very day!"

Flint said nothing. He just reached out and locked his extremely powerful hand around Dr. Black's bicep. Flint very nearly crushed the arm. The pain was so severe that it took the doctor's breath away. Nearly lifting the doctor off of his feet, Flint dragged the protesting man into an empty room.

Through gritted teeth Flint spoke in a very dark and threatening manner.

"Listen to me you arrogant piece of garbage. You will do as I say, or I will break every bone in both of your hands. Also, if I ever hear of you trying to bother Dr. Jackson, I will personally cut both of your eyes out and feed them to you! Is that clear?

"You will resign your position here, and you will leave town!"

"I'll go to the authorities about this threat," blustered the Doctor.

"Go ahead, it won't save you. My people will still carry out the threat, I promise you that."

With an extra hard squeeze for emphasis Flint let go of the Doctor's arm. Dr. Black looked into the lizard-like eyes of the man in front of him and began to tremble, as would a small, frightened child.

"I'll be kind. You have two days then my people will come for you," said Flint with a steely smile.

Flint was bluffing about 'his people', but he thought that it was a nice touch. At the mention of people looking for him, the Doctor's bowels let loose. A fetid, stygian stench rose about the man that was filled with fear. He had no doubts, now, that he had pushed the wrong man.

Without another word, Flint smoothed the front of the Doctor's coat and strode from the room.

"Where did you go?" asked Emma.

"Dr. Black needed a lesson."

Emma gave him a strange look, and then saw Dr. Black rush toward the elevator holding his injured arm. All questions were answered as she saw the look of terror on the Doctor's face.

"It seems that the 'good' Dr. Black has decided to resign and leave town," said Flint flatly.

"Well, I'm glad to hear it. I think that is a very wise decision," said Emma with equal flatness.

Doctor Jackson walked over to them slowly as he studied Amelia's chart.

"What do you think, Doctor? Can you help my girl?"

"To be honest, Mr. Drow, there are a couple of tests that I would like to do before we release Amelia."

Looking up and seeing a crestfallen Flint, the Doctor said, "No, no! I'm not saying that I will not release her, just that I would like to do the tests first. It should only take two or three days. Is that satisfactory?"

"Oh, yes," said Flint. "Do I need to sign anything?"

"Not now, but later, yes."

"Ok. I'll be back in a few hours, if that's ok."

"Fine. Now, Mrs. Utek, you will not be able to provide everything that Kate needs, so I have taken the liberty of calling a nurse/therapist, I'm told that she is exceptional. She will be able to administer the needed medications, and guide your daughter through her therapy regimen. Her name is Sara Mills and she is awaiting your call. Here is her number."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.