Wanderer - Cover

Wanderer

Copyright© 2008 by Rod O'Steele

Chapter 3

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 3 - A Sword and Sorcery story of Gods and Goddesses and women too.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   First  

Ariston was suddenly awake. He looked around; nothing. He lay absolutely still aware of danger without knowing why. He had just purchased this house with gain from a necklace he had received as a token to the Goddess Ashtar. He intended to settle into this city and become a merchant, leaving behind his hard life on the road. He had not yet become weak from the city life and his feral senses brought him instantly alert.

In the dim light of the stars, he saw a black line at the top of the white wall opposite, picking up his sword and like a panther stalking, crept into his garden. He watched and saw a head appear above the wall, a body flattening itself on the top. Then, the hook which is what had drawn his attention was reversed and a rope came slithering down to the garden.

Ariston moved like a shadow to the base of the wall. A small figure came shinnying down the rope, lightly touching the stones. As the intruder started to look around, he felt the razor sharp edge of Ariston's sword pressing against his throat.

"Don't move," Ariston commanded. The intruder froze. A hand quickly searched him finding the knife in his belt. Then it expertly found the one hidden in his belt at his back. "Any others? If I find it later your head will be in the dust."

The intruder gurgled unable to speak because of the blade pressed against his throat. Ariston released the pressure, a little. "The right boot."

Ariston pulled the knife from the boot and tossed it with the others. "Any more?"

"No."

Ariston dragged the man into the center of the garden and tossed him on the ground. "Who are you?"

"I am Oyek."

"What are you doing here?" Ariston asked.

"Nothing at all, good sir," the man said.

The blade flicked out, cutting the shirt on his chest but not even grazing his skin. "Lie again, good sir, and the next cut will be deeper."

The intruder gulped looking at his shirt cut in twain. "And who has not heard of the barbarian who is paying five thousand gold pieces tomorrow for this fine house. That must mean the coins are here tonight. Should the prince of thieves not go to collect such a reward?"

Ariston was not surprised that the news had spread so quickly, about a barbarian buying the house, or that the news was wrong. Rumors never do reflect the truth. Nor was Ariston put off by the thief's bravado. He admired it in the face of his sword having been a thief at various times in his wandering. "How did you hear?"

"The merchant Rousoul was celebrating at the inn. Well, good sir, the inn has ears and those ears came to me and told me of what they had heard. It seemed easy prey for the prince of thieves."

"Oh?" Ariston asked. "Do you still think so?"

"No, good sir. It seems that I was mistaken," he said bowing his head.

Ariston laughed, "I should take your head and put it on a pike to warn others who might think I am easy prey."

Oyek blanched, sure that this barbarian would do it. "Gentle sir," Oyek pled. "I could do you a service, much worthier than my poor head. I could enjoin all thieves to avoid your house, and your caravans. Consider, that all thieves would avoid anything which was yours. Is that worth more than my poor head?"

"I could get the same by displaying your head," Ariston growled.

"Not for as long. Memories fade for those untouched. But noble sir, I will remember."

Ariston laughed remembering his own days as a thief. "Yes, for as long as you live, even though that be five minutes." He could see Oyek tense. "But, I do not want the blood of a prince on my hands, even if he be the prince of cats. Bring twenty gold pieces tomorrow to me and keep your promise about my property."

Oyek was surprised. "And if I don't?"

"I will find you," Ariston said with quiet confidence.

Oyek shuddered at the deadly confidence in that voice. He was sure this barbarian who moved like a panther in the dark would find him, if he so wanted.

Ariston picked him up with one hand and dragged him to the rope. "Tomorrow, twenty gold pieces." He smacked him with the flat of his blade. Oyek shinnied up the rope like a rat escaping from a cat. He disappeared over the wall. The hook disappeared as well.

Ariston laughed as he returned to bed. He wondered if the rascal would show up in the morning.


The next morning, Jasmin prepared a breakfast of figs and barley gruel. She also prepared tea, a drink Ariston was unfamiliar with. His first taste did not bring him much pleasure.

A little later, Sadik appeared. "Master, a man to see you."

Ariston went to the door. A skulking man was there. He handed Ariston a small purse. "Oyek sends this." The man scuttled down the street and disappeared into the first alleyway. It jingled in his hand causing Ariston to smile. He didn't bother counting it, sure it would be right.

Ariston went in and found a brass chest in his room. One of the keys Rousoul had given him opened it. It was empty, not surprising. Ariston put his sack of coins inside, along with the remains of the necklace. He quickly counted out the gold pieces he would need to buy the house and put the rest back in the chest, closing and locking the heavy chest.

When Rousoul came at noon, he was invited in. Ariston handed him the coins. The man opened the sack and his eyes widened. "I admit, stranger, I still wondered if you would really have this much money. I wondered if you would simply have had a free night in my house. Well then, friend, the house is yours." He turned to go.

"The prince of thieves knows of your good fortune," Ariston said.

Rousoul turned back, a look of horror on his face. "You told him?"

"Not I, friend, you did. He had ears at the inn last night. He took the opportunity to visit here last night thinking to avail himself of the coins before I could give them to you. I convinced him to leave. But he knows you come today to pick up the price," Ariston said. "As a friend, I thought I shold give you warning."

The merchant was sweating. "Aiye, the prince of thieves ... They will follow me." He hefted the bag, "For this they would gladly kill me."

"Have you a knife?"

"No, I'm no warrior," Rousoul said.

Ariston stepped into the house and returned with his sword. "Well, then. I want no one to say I did not pay properly for the house. Come, I'll take you home."

The relief was palatable on Rousoul's features. "Thank you, good sir."

They walked along several wide streets. Ariston saw a group of men waiting by an inn. They had the look about them, restless and watching. Ariston quickly looked about them to see if it was a trap, with others ready to come from behind but there were none. It seems the ambush by this group was considered enough to overcome Rousoul. He checked his sword to ensure it would draw easily. They went on. Ariston saw the men looking at the bag carried by Rousoul.

As they passed by, he heard the scraping of a sandal on stone. He turned in an instant, drawing his sword and pressing Rousoul behind him and against the wall. The four men all had drawn knives. Facing a man with a great sword halted their charge. "Throw it over and you'll not be hurt," the leader of the gang shouted.

Ariston laughed. "Ask Oyek if I'll surrender or if I'll cut out your gizzards."

Uncertainty replaced the confidence in the faces. "Get him," snarled the leader urging the others forward.

Ariston lashed out with his great sword and the first bandit screamed and fell, his face slashed in twain. The sword continued on in its arc catching the second thief at his shoulder. The arm holding his knife fell to the ground. The thief toppled over, following his appendage into the dirt, screaming in pain. Ariston's sword now returned in another slash of flashing metal and the third bandit's head leapt from his shoulders. Only the leader remained, staying well clear of the sword.

"Drop the knife," Ariston said quietly.

The bandit turned and fled. Ariston drew his knife from his belt and in a blur tossed it striking the bandit in the back. The bandit stumbled and fell to the ground. Two thieves were still alive, though they were both screaming as their life blood drained from their wounds and ito the dirt.

"Let us go," Ariston said to the stunned Rousoul. He led him off, as Rousoul could not tear his eyes from the gruesome spectacle. Ariston stopped to pull his knife from the back of the leader. The man was also still alive. "Remind Oyek of his promise," Ariston said.

They left him lying in the street.

Rousoul was near gibbering in his relief and thanks. "I owe you my life. They would have killed me easily. Tell me, how can I repay you?"

Ariston laughed, "If some day I need your help, remember."

"I swear by Ashur that I will always remember this debt," Rousoul said touching his head.


Ariston was part way to his goal. After he escorted Rousoul home, he asked about merchants that might need a partner.

"Good sir, I think your skills lie elsewhere. I know many merchants who would love to have you lead a caravan, a man of your fighting abilities."

"I will buy the partnership and be a merchant. I've spilled enough blood and sooner or later, the Gods will change sides in the battle. No more fighting for me. You know I have the gold," Ariston said.

Rousoul paused looking thoughtful. "I know of one such man. Mustafa is alone currently. It is said in the market that he needs coin to finance his next caravan. It will not be cheap," said Rousoul.

"Where does he live?" Ariston asked.

"I will have my servant escort you. Go with the Gods' blessings," he said.


Ariston was led to a large house not far from his own. The servant knocked and told the man who answered that Rousoul commended this man, Ariston, to Mustafa. The servant invited him in and led him to the garden of this house, and bade him be seated. Soon, an older man appeared. "I am Mustafa. Why does my friend Rousoul send me a barbarian?"

Ariston did him courtesy, "It is said that the Merchant Mustafa needs gold. I have wealth to spare. I wish to be allied with a merchant of note who will show me the ways of the city and who can use my knowledge of the world."

"Too much is said in the city," Mustafa said gruffly. "Come sit with me by the fountain," he said, leading Ariston to the center of his garden well away from eavesdropping servants. "So, you wish to become my partner, I who have worked my whole life at trade."

Ariston nodded.

"And how do you propose to make this worth my while?" Mustafa asked.

Ariston drew out a hidden purse. He carefully opened it. Inside was the necklace. He gave it to Mustafa.

The merchant eyed it giving no clue as to his thoughts. "It is missing several stones."

"And if it had the stones, who could afford such a necklace; maybe the king. No one else could buy it whole. And if you have only one buyer, well, that limits the price. No, you will take it apart, just as I have done and sell off just what you need, saving the rest for when need arises. But, my friend, if you think you could sell it whole, I can show you exactly where the stones are," Ariston said.

"Ah yes, my friend, you are quite right about the necklace. No one in the city except the king could buy it." Mustafa got up and paced the garden. "I don't want a partner, but I need one. I've had three caravans robbed in the past year. What you heard in the market is true. Bad luck, but such is life." He looked at the necklace. "This is such a fine thing. I hate to break it up ... But I need the money." He looked at Ariston. "Well then, partner, come have a meal with me and we will talk about how this partnership should work."


Ariston and Mustafa shook hands on their deal, fifty-fifty on all future caravans. Ariston left and wandered into the heart of the dark part of the city. Eyes watched him relentlessly, but the sword at his side and the tales already circulating about a barbarian who seemingly killed as easily as he breathed kept the denizens at bay.

Ariston found an inn and went in. A threatening silence fell over the inn as he entered. He went to the counter. "Give me a beer and send one of these rascals for Oyek," he said slapping a copper on the counter.

The inn keeper said, "And if I told you I know no such man."

"I'd cut your gizzards out for a liar to encourage the next man I asked," he said quietly.

The man blanched, quickly motioned to a boy who fled from the inn.

"Now, the beer," Ariston said.

The man quickly filled a jug and set it before Ariston. It was only a few minutes before the door was opened and Oyek came in. Ariston lifted the jug in salute. "Join me, Master of Thieves." Turning to the bar, "Another beer for my friend, Oyek."

They sipped their beers and Oyek led him to a corner, shooing away others from the surrounding tables. "How may I serve you?" he asked.

"I told you to keep away from my property," Ariston said.

"I did. You think I'd have sent my four best cut-throats to be slaughtered if I knew?" he asked accusatively. "They were to find Rousoul's purse, not yours. How did I know you'd hired out as a bodyguard."

Ariston laughed. "I must apologize then. I had no idea they were your best. I'd have let them escape if you had but told me."

Oyek shook his head. "You need no longer worry. The news is in everyone's ears. I doubt you could find any man in the city brash enough to try to steal from you now."

Ariston smiled. "One more thing. I have become partners with Mustafa. His caravans are mine. I know your word will carry weight in the city. But I would appreciate it if your word could also travel to the hill tribes who have been robbing my poor partner."

"Word may travel but all might not believe," Oyek said.

"Then let them know; I will hunt them down like dogs, poison their wells, kill their goats, despoil their virgin daughters. The hills will not protect them from me like they do the soft people of the city. I can move through their hills better then they can," Ariston said quietly.

The determination, the understated way in which the barbarian voiced these threats, made the hair on Oyek's neck stand up. He had no doubt this barbarian would do exactly as he promised. "The word will be sent."

Ariston nodded. He left the inn, a smile on his lips, and made for the Temple square. He must thank the Goddess for his good fortune. What better way than to worship with one of her acolytes.


As Ariston entered the temple square, he saw a great many people before the Temple of Ashtar. Wondering what this meant, Ariston wandered among the people and watched. He saw the nobles of the city forming a fence at the entrance. No one entered and no one left the temple.

Puzzled, Ariston went round to the side of the temple, then around to the back. At the back of the temple, he saw one of the Priestesses he had come to know in a window. He waved. She opened the window, looking down at him, a question in her gaze. Ariston grew up in the rocky hill country and a climb such as this was little challenge. He removed his sandals for better grip. A run and jump put him half way to the window. His fingers and toes found every crevasse in the wall and he quickly was beside the window.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.